Cover Image: Sewing Face Masks, Scrub Caps, Arm Slings, and More

Sewing Face Masks, Scrub Caps, Arm Slings, and More

Sewing your own masks has become a trend over the years, Unfortunately, in Germany, medical masks have been required through the last year, ruining all the fun that could be had.. But better safe than sorry, even if I have no intention of sewing any masks nown...
This was a great sewing book for beginners that had a lot of diagrams, pictures, and instructions - which is exactly what I like when it comes to craft books.
This book came in handy at the exact moment I need it. We were in need of some mask patterns and this had the perfect ones for us!
Interestingly, very straightforward with many templates and it's easy to pick up sewing even for a newbie. It is very thorough with proper instructions and pics that you won't get lost. Very easy to understand which is a plus as like many sewists, I may not know most sewing jargons.

There are a total of 14 patterns to choose from, all practical projects. It does piqued my interests on the other projects which I have to find time and material to do it LOL! Perhaps later when I am not bogged down by work and life :-)
This timely guide on how to make your own medical gear will be useful for people desiring to create materials for the medical personnel in their lives, or for their own use.

Instructions are easy to follow.
A nice book of projects suitable for beginners, or even old hands who just want a tried-and-true pattern for these kinds of projects. Most of them are medical projects: face masks, scrub caps, slings, etc., but there are also medical-adjacent items, such as fidget lap blankets for patients in memory care. Clear instructions with both metric and imperial measurements.
Great book with informative pictures and descriptions. Great for a beginner or someone like me that has barely touched a sewing machine in years. Solid 5 stars. Thank you to the publishers!
I picked up this book to learn how to make my own face masks.  Patterns were included and very easy step by step instructions with step by step pictures to follow along so you know what each step should look like. There is several designs available. I made the lined and gathered face mask with metal nose piece in less than 30 minutes. I had no idea how easy these are to make.
This sewing book is easy to follow. I love the pictures that help explain all of the steps. I clicked it to see the mask options, and there were several helpful ones. Highly recommend for anyone in the medical field.
This is a fantastic sewing book with handy and versatile patterns that are well drafted and accompanied by clear instructions. I made the half hour ear saver headband with a shaped face mask and they were both an absolute breeze to put together. There are nifty sewing techniques throughout and I picked up great tips along the way. I’m looking forward to making the Memory Care Mat for my Grandma as my next project from this book and highly recommend any sewist to get their hands on a copy of it. You just never know when you may need these useful patterns 😊
Given the times we are living in, this book is very topical, it is also very creative with very easy to follow instruction and great ideas.
Hear in Australia we have just enjoy a period without lock down and finally no masks ( as long s we observe the distancing rule.)  There has been a lot of sadness and some death but hopefully with the help of all, we are getting there.
I love this book because it is bright, it lets us be useful in these time and covers many aspects of needs for the infirmed. The face marks are great as are the scarves.
a really lovely book with lots of instructions, photos and useful items to make.
A good introduction to sewing with a compassionate goal. The patterns in this book include adult bibs, fidget mats, face masks, and other handmade items that would make great gifts for the health care professional in your life--or donations to the local hospital or memory care unit. Projects start basic, with step-by-step instructions to familiarize beginners with the fundamentals of sewing. Lots of pictures and diagrams to help visual learners. A timely collection that will be useful for medium and large libraries.
Intentional crafting has been my solace during the past 14 months. Herbert's has put together a wonderful book featuring 15 easy-to-follow sewing projects. Having learned to sew at a young age and desiring to dive back in, this book was perfect.

Readers do not need to know how to sew, as this book will guide you.

Highly recommended for newbies.
Timely book with good instructions. Well written   Lots of ideas  used it to make masks for friends and family
As a maker of masks, and an intermediate seamstress, I am always on the lookout for different patterns, new techniques to try, and to generally see how others do things.  Given the current global situation, the ability to sew masks and scrub caps, among other things, is a particularly skillset to have, and while blogs and net resources are great entry points, it is frustrating to read the author's entire life story before getting to the pattern, have a page full of ads, or find your print gauge is out of whack.

That's where this book comes in.  It's beautifully laid out with a whole lot of tips, techniques and notions detailed in the front, but the pages of projects aren't far away at all, and the pattern pieces are all collated at the back with easy-to-reference gauges for photocopying.

The patterns themselves are easy to follow, with clear directions and illustrations to help the reader put it all together.

The designs in the book range from the ubiquitous masks that we all need right now, to more specialised  patterns designed for an aged care setting. As a parent of young children, I can see some of these could easily be adjusted for a younger audience (the fidget mat is similar to the kids' quiet books; the wheelchair caddy could be used on a pram etc), so readers should not be discouraged by them if they're not at the caring-for-the-aged stages of their lives.

I will definitely add some of these patterns to my sewing repertoire!

**I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
This is a great book to add to my collection. I’m not a great sewist but the collection in this book was very easy to make. I can’t wait to do more project and buy a hard copy to share with my mother.
There is something in this book for everyone— whether across the age spectrum or within various stages of life. The instructions are well-illustrated and the projects are pretty and practical.  The items presented in this book are not only great for personal use but they also make wonderful gifts.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by the publisher and Net Galley but the thoughts expressed are my own.
Great book, especially in the current climate. Numerous projects including face masks, scrub caps, slings, fidget blanket and Walker caddy are included with very clear, step by step instructions as to how to make them. A detailed introduction to sewing equipment is given, with clear instructions on basic techniques such as how to sew on buttons with and without shanks before describing how to make the projects. At the back there are patterns for all the projects. I so wish I had had this book when my friend was ill with dementia. If I could have made the fidget blanket using fabrics familiar  to  her I think she would have loved it!  All in all a very useful book whether to make items for local hospitals, poorly friends, or for own use.
I did think the front cover looked a bit dated, but that is personal taste.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me access to a digital copy of this book.
I received a free eARC from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a fantastic resource for sewers of any level. It has a variety of projects from a variety of face masks, to scrub caps, to a wheelchair/walker caddy.
It starts off with an overview of the materials and tools you need to complete the projects. It also provides instructions on basic techniques, such as how to hand sew a button, and chain stitching.
As a beginner, I found the instruction to be easy to follow. So while the actual patterns weren't included in the eARC, nor the step-by-step images, I still had a good idea of the process. I was pleased that the author provided both imperial and metric measurements.
I also want to say how lovely the images throughout the book are.

I'm looking forward to buying a copy, and giving some of these a go.
I like "Sewing Face Masks, Scrub Caps, Arm Slings, and More by Angie Herbertson very much.  I am a beginner seamstress, yet I can make all of the patterns in this book.  Of course, these are very practical and necessary sewing projects.  In addition to making items for personal use, one can also donate to charity.  I found the patterns easy to follow.  I highly recommend the book to anyone who wishes to sew for charity or their family.

Thank you to NetGalley for this opportunity.