Cover Image: Emma

Emma

I think this collectible version of the classic Emma is a great addition to any fan's collection. I know I am looking forward to having both physical copies of Pride and Prejudice and Emma. Many of the illustrations are subtle, but I really like the full pages as well. The style fits the time period and it just makes it even more enjoyable to read. The illustrations are so beautiful!
Vibrant, colourful and beautiful illustrations! I liked how the theme of seasons was being followed and the choice of flora and fauna being used to depict each season. The overall effect is very pleasing to the eyes; however, like I mentioned in my review for the Pride and Prejudice book, when I saw that this book will be an illustrated version, I expected it to contain illustrations of different characters and scenes from the book and was disappointed when I didn't find any.  I think it should be considered for any future editions.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Andrews McMeel Publishing for the e-Arc of the book.

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟
I was privileged enough to recieve 3 advance digital copies from the  Marjolein Bastin Classics Series. Her artwork blends perfectly with the books and doesn't overshadow the text. I love floral artwork and am glad that Marjolein chose flowers to be her focus. The books chosen are all time greats, and even though I have copies of them already, I will definitely add the hardcovers to my collection.
Emma Woodhouse is one of Austen's most captivating and vivid characters. Beautiful, spoilt, vain and irrepressibly witty, Emma organizes the lives of the inhabitants of her sleepy little village and plays matchmaker with devastating effect.

This was my first intro to anything written by Janes Austen...and it did not disappoint! Definitely reminded me of the movie Clueless, lol don't judge me. Great book to get you out of a Reading stump!
lovely! i always loved jane austen's works and so many adaptations and versions are out already, yet this one captivated me especially i have the heart for such things as these. i really loved it and would want to have a copy of my own
Great book! I adore  Jane Austen The Characters of emma and knightley are great they circle around One another like One of tjose older dance in which The dancers never touched One another
Emma is a fun book and it's really nice to see a character that is somewhat shallow and not perfect. But the main thing that I want to review about this edition is the illustrations, of course!! They were absolutely stunning and gorgeous and it made me excited to finish a chapter just to see the final illustration. They also fit in with the story very well. Gorgeous!
I ended up DNFing this book after the first chapter. After reading Pride and Prejudice and the first chapter of this book I’ve discovered that I am definitely not a fan of Jane Austen. The overall tone of the book and writing style are terrible. And upon discovering that this was much like Austen’s other work showcasing how vapid and shallow women were perceived I chose not to read any further. The illustrations by Marjolein Bastin however were gorgeous which is why I gave the book 1 star.
A beautiful version of a great classic. I can only imagine how stunning this will be in a physical copy as the digital version I bet doesn't do the fabulous illustrations justice
Every time I’ve read EMMA I’ve had a different and more meaningful experience than the next.

This recent time, I listened to the audiobook and read along to this version of the ebook.

Thanks to Netgalley for this gifted copy.

The thing I really love about the book Emma is her unique ability to light up a room and all others around her.

Reading Emma for me helps to lighten up my reading experience. Emma is one of the bright spots I reach for in between all of the horrors and thrillers I often read.

This particular version added to the delightful ness of the the book for me. The illustrations, sprinkled in throughout, were wonderful and not overwhelming or distracting.

It was perfect,

Thanks again!
Beautiful nature illustrations fill this lovely copy of Emma. This is something that, of course, would be much more stunning on the page but I enjoyed looking through the electronic copy I was given. My favorite thing was how the flowers changed throughout the seasons. The Christmas and Michaelmas chapters are some of my favorite and the winter illustrations made me so happy! Especially the mistletoe in the corner. I would have preferred to see illustrations of the characters and setting, but I think this will make a beautiful copy of Jane Austen’s novel.
A great new version of one of classic literature’s best books! Highly recommend! Thank you for the advanced copy!
Emma by Jane Austen and illustrated by Marjolein Bastin is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early January.

The classic novel is dotted here and there with blue, pink, orange, cream, and purple flowers, plus birds, berries, and butterflies.
A truly stunning illustrated edition of Emma by Marjolein Bastin!  First, the dazzling pinks of the cover... those alone should catch your eye, but they are just the beginning of the artistry inside.  The pretty pastels, petals, and butterflies that grace the pages bring an air of playfulness to this classic story. I particularly love the heart wreath illustration in Volume 1 and the beautiful monarch butterfly in Volume 3.
Gorgeous illustrations!!! I thought the floral designs correlated well with the setting and tone of the novel, Emma. It follows the seasons of the story, where the shift is obvious when it goes to winter time back to Spring. It comes full circle for sure. It perfectly encapsulates the tone of the novel.
I wonder if the floral depictions had any relation to actual Victorian floriography. If so, that would be so cool!
This is really a collectable item for those who are connoisseurs of classics books and it is a perfect gift to give. I loved the floral touches of this edition a lot, but I would have liked more illustrations in the starting and ending of chapters. The endpapers are just gorgeous!
Great Classic re-printed with beautiful pictures to help decorate the pages. The original Jane Austen classic just with birds and flowers that are clean printed on the pages. Makes the book pleasing to the eyes.
‘i am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like.’ - Jane Austen.

Listen. She said it, not me.
Emma is not even close to breaking my top 10 Austen characters.

No, I don't hate her or anything, she's just very very hard to relate to (or even like?)

She's the kind of friend you kick under the table for saying something daft or inconsiderate and being completely oblivious to the fact. Being privileged and wealthy is less of an annoyance to those around you when you are capable of basic empathy and have the ability to read situations and your surroundings. Emma, I'm afraid, is severely lacking in that department.

Something that is only highlighted by the presence of one Mr. Knightley - who is in the aforementioned Top 10 JA faves.

At the end of the day though, Emma makes strides to better herself, learning the hard way the error of her ways.

This is still an iconic book, it's a classic for more reasons than I can count.
And that is only enhanced by this lovely edition with elegant adornments and illustrations.
Even someone such as myself who doesn't LOVE Emma, can appreciate how truly remarkable it is to create this atmosphere with such simple and chic touches.
Emma is my favorite of Jane Austen and not just because it bears my name! This edition is illustrated and beautifully so. The illustrations are focused on nature, full of flowers and animals in pastel colors.  A beautiful edition!
I enjoyed the story but I really needed to read the book while listening to an audiobook in order to finish the book. I could have known since I usually prefer to read classics in Dutch, my native language. Still, I am glad I finished Emma. Ever since my high school English teacher recommended it to me, I have been curious about the story. (I think I like Pride & Prejudice better, though.)

As for this edition with illustrations by Marjolein Bastin. The illustrations of nature, flowers and birds are beautiful. However, they do not particularly add anything to the story. So if you are just looking for a beautiful edition of Emma, you might want to look at these editions.