Cover Image: For the Love of Friends

For the Love of Friends

Thanks @netgalley for the arc!

Lily Weiss is her mother’s worst nightmare: thirty-two and single. She’s also a talented writer but hides behind a boring job at a science foundation. To her friends, she’s reliable and selfless, which is how she winds up a bridesmaid in five weddings in six weeks. To keep her sanity, Lily needs a safe place to vent. And so her anonymous blog, Bridesmania, is born. The posts start pouring out of her: all the feels about mom-zillas, her vanishing bank balance, the wicked bridesmaids of the west, high-strung brides-to-be, etc. So far the blog has stayed anonymous. But as everyone knows, few things online remain secret forever…

This book was fun, snarky and I enjoyed reading the blog posts. However, I didn't like the whole idea of why Lily started her blog in the first place. She badmouthed her family and friends and practically called her friend a doormat, yet she never stood up for herself or said no to something that she didn't want to do which in the end made her snarky. The bridesmaids were annoying and personally I didn't think she was that close to some of her friends to be a bridesmaid. Also, who tells their supposed best friend to get botox for the wedding aesthetic and pictures? In the end, she lost some things, which was unfortunate. However, I did enjoy the romance subplot, although that did take the backseat. I would have enjoyed seeing more of the romance. I also liked the mended relationship between Lily and her mom. My favourite characters were Lily's grandmother (hilarious) and her new sister-in-law, although I wish we could have gotten to know her more.

Overall, this was an enjoyable and fast-paced read.
This is the debut novel for Sara Goodman Confino and it was great!
Bridalmana … hilarious!
I loved the blogs.
This is a great light read. Such fun!!!
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an arc in exchange for my honest review.
I tried really hard to get into this book but I just could not make myself like this book.

I’m not sure if it’s because I am more of a romance reader instead of a women’s fiction reader but I unfortunately could not finish this book.
Thank you to #Netgalley for the opportunity to read this eArc.

For the love of friends follows Lily as she is involved as a bridesmaid/made of honour in five weddings in the same five months, two of those weddings being her little brother and little sister. The book follows Lily as she struggles to grapple with her suddenly busy life in a season of romance whilst she grapples with her own love life, which may include the writing of a tell all blog about her brides.

Before I start huge triggers for fatphobia, body shaming, demonization of food.

ugghh I really wanted to like this book, I thought wow, a nice chill romance involving wedding season- I'm in. what I didn't expect was to be transported to the 50s possibly, even the early 2000s romcoms weren't this bad. i mean not to be rude but how did this get published in 2021? how did someone read this and edit it and say hmm, yes there's nothing wrong with this book.

The language used in here was so problematic, and I haven't even touched on the body shaming and fatphobia yet. The way using a wheelchair was referred to, casual slut shaming, the list goes on.

The body shaming/fatphobia was rife in this book, the book was essentially made up of it and what killed me was that this woman is a size 12eu, at most, with boobs and they treat her like this, i am so happy there weren't any actually fat characters because the abuse they would've received would have been horrendous.

I hate to say it but the only redeeming quality of this book was the love interest Alex, like ma'am you had a host of characters, majority female, and the only good one is the man??

I like an unlikeable character as much of the next person, but this girl was not a fun or interesting unlikeable character she was just bland and mean at times in a not fun way.

Yeah, I just hated this book and I would not recommend it at all .
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thought and opinions are my own.

This book is hilarious, right from the start, and the moment Lily wakes up in a hotel room with a naked guy beside her and doesn't know who he is, or rather which one of the groomsmen he is from her best friends wedding....awkward much?!

Lily has been invited to 5 weddings which are all around the same time. 2 of them are friends, 1 a work colleague and the other two are her siblings. So she can't really dip out or decline the invites to be Maid of Honour or Bridesmaid.  I personally think she needs to find some new friends because some of these are b*****s! They expect her to pay for her own dresses, bridal parties, trips abroad, presents not to mention suggesting she goes on a diet and has botox. Her character is brilliant and is full of whit and sarcasm to these situations. In order to vent her frustrations she starts a wedding blog, basically slating most of the brides and the wedding parties, whilst some of her comments are rude they are correct. The book is full of brilliant characters like Alex who is so lovely and my favourite Lily's Grandmother, she is hilarious. I hope I am like her when I am in my 80's, she's brilliant.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone who needs a laugh and a little romance in their lives. Brilliant.
A sweet, madcap, contemporary novel perfect for that beach read by the pool – from Amazon’s book club imprint Lake Union Publishing.

Our heroine Lily is trying to survive the upcoming year where she is a bridesmaid in five (yes, five) weddings for friends and family in just as two-month period.  Attempting to balance her job, her maid of honor/bridesmaid duties, not to mention her budget is stretching her to the breaking point.  Finicky friends, family jealousies, and a cram-packed schedule push her to the point of losing it.  Then there’s the groomsmen Lily slept with after one of wedding-related event parties (oops) who she’s desperately trying to avoid.  Can Lily keep her sanity and survive a budding romance with a friend as well?  Hop on board this crazy ride of a book and find out!

Some parts were a bit predictable, and it was a bit boggy in the first half with all of the wedding preparations (could have been peppier).  But the book had an awesome theme of being brave and not scared to do what you love.

Recommended for fans of novels highlighting the craziness of the modern world in the vein of Julie Valerie’s Holly Banks Village of Primm series or Emma Gannon’s Olive, or for your next book club read.

A big thank you to debut author Sara Goodman Confino, Lake Union Publishing, and NetGalley for providing a complimentary Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for this honest review.

To grab a copy of For the Love of Friends for yourself, head on over to www.BookShop.org – the online bookstore that gives 75% of each book’s profit margin back to independent bookshops.  Find yours at https://bookshop.org/lists/best-fiction-of-2021.

#ForTheLoveOfFriends
#WomensFiction
#DesireeReads
#2021Releases
#August2021Releases
The book delivered on what it promised to be -- somewhat high-stress bridesmaids shenanigans, with a cast of kooky friends and family members alternately demanding the moon or haranguing our put-upon protagonist about her own lack of a wedding ring... It was funny and cute, but the circus of weddings and crazy friends honestly overstimulated me. I felt exhausted for Lily, as though I'd been running around with her! I also had a bit of a hard time with the family dynamic. From my single lady friends who also have big Jewish families, this apparently is very accurate. However, it was hard for me to read the sniping and nasty back-handed comments from the family, especially all the body-shaming content. Lily recognized and rejected the critiques, but then simultaneously actively participated in it... it kind of bummed me out, to be honest. Lastly, just wanted to give a heads up that this is one of those stories where there's one big secret, everything falls apart around it, and then there's a big apology-montage, essentially. I don't love this framework myself, but if it works for you, this is your next read! Overall, fun, frothy, an easy, quick read, and the romance is pretty good.
4.50 ⭐️

This was a super quick and funny rom-com! I really enjoyed it and finished it in less than 6 hours so I highly recommend if you’re looking for something light and funny and also easy to get into!
I liked our main protagonist Lily! She was hilarious but the one quality that made me absolutely love her was how unapologetically herself she was! In the kind of situations she was put in the book, her reactions were idealistic for me because I don’t think I’ll ever have enough courage like her.

The romance was supremely adorable! It was more of a friends to lovers romance and I loved how Alex was always here for Lily whenever she needed him! He was also so sweet, nice and charming so there really was nothing to not like. Their little coffee note exchange was sooo cute!!

We saw some real bridezilla action and some of the things bridesmaids have been asked to do were so atrocious that I was laughing at the impossibility of it all!
There were also some discussions about you’re asked to loose weight for weddings, change how you look, etc which is SO not okay and I appreciated  how Lily took a stand for herself when it came to that!

Because of the setting, there were so many characters in this book! I really liked how it still wasn’t confusing and everybody seemed fleshed out and real. Also, kudos to the author for managing Lily’s time between all her friends and family AND having an adorable romance on the side. I can’t imagine the amount of time it must’ve taken.

There was so much drama and chaos so if you like that kind of setting in books (I DO) then I would definitely recommend this one! And also to all my fellow comedy lovers because it was less romantic and more comedic but super fun!
This was such a fun book! I absolutely loved Lily and was rooting for her both personally and professionally. I highly recommend this for any woman who enjoys a good laugh.
I  had a ball reading the blog posts of Lily. They were witty,full of drama and shows an evolution of the character Lily.
As you continue reading story, you will realise she is your everyday girl with a potential to write which also reflects the author's work in the story. I could see myself in Lily so much maybe because I have also asked myself the question " DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO WORK" when it came to organising stuff with my friends (nt kiddin).
You can sense the frustration, the envy, the longing to have someone in Lily as she tells you tales through her blogs but she also brings you back to the ground when she becomes self-aware at various moments. She certainly will seem the most mature amongst the entire crowd but you will also catch her at her foolishness in the story. Enjoy her story with Alex. I saved the best for the last.
DNF at 17% after her first blog post. Every character is so cringy, the women are all doormats, sarcastic spinsters (MC), or mean girls. And I realize the venting online aspect of the story was in the description but her post was so mean and incredibly specific even if she avoided names. Anyone can see how that’s going to end up and it just does not sound like an enjoyable journey. I didn’t even want to stick around for the romance because I didn’t like any of the characters. This book just feels unkind to women, so many negative stereotypes in one book.
As a 30-something I could very much relate to the main character Lily and the weddings all around her.  What will happen when he private thoughts and opinions on these weddings aren't so private anymore?  In the age of social media/blogging, I liked this story and it reminded me of chick-lit movies of the past.  I would recommend to those readers who like chick lit and contemporary, humorous romance.  Thanks to netgalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.

For the Love of Friends is a light, easy read with surprising maturity.

98% of this plot is entirely predictable. We all know what to expect going into a story about demanding brides and an anonymous blog... Not to mention the whole 'I'm attracted to you, but we should just be friends who talk and hang out constantly' thing. So by around the halfway point, I started to consider skipping the rest of the book - not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I knew where it was going. I'm glad I kept reading, though. Because when everything blows up - exactly the way you know it will - Lily's reactions are so refreshing and honest. It's so nice to have a realistic response to a crazy situation - it made the whole story that much more enjoyable.

So while I'm sure you'll be able to predict what happens here, I'd still recommend For the Love of Friends. The narrative is lighthearted with unexpected warmth and a welcome perspective on some very familiar tropes.
A book about weddings? Okay, sure? A book about a 30 something bridesmaid who has FIVE weddings within the year...and just might be blogging about it? Sign me up!!
The first thing, I have to say about this book is that it is genuinely so hilarious and entertaining. Not only is Lily genuinely a crack but the comedic timing of this writing hit perfectly like the best of romcoms.
Hilarity aside, what really made me love this book was the character building and development. I feel like Confino really was able to flesh out such a wide range of characters and show so many depths and layers not only in our main character Lily but also in our Bridezillas, Mumzillas (and especially in the best character of all, Lily's grandma).

Specifically, on the character development, I think there are times when I really sympathised with our main characters and other times I really disliked Lily and yet somehow I still rooted for her to win.

Lily was written in such a real way. She felt real and she was not perfect and not in that whiny omfg how can anyone be this annoying sort of way, but in that yeah I can see myself in her sort of way. I think this is something that's actually so difficult to perfect and get right but Confino just hits the nail on the head and not just with Lily. Her characters are just such. a breath of fresh air and so simultaneously entertaining.

I love that Lily is flawed and sometimes she's oblivious to those flaws but the self-awareness DOES eventually come and it is so satisfying and gratifying to see how that translates into Lily's interpersonal relationships as well as her entire outlook on life. It serves as a keen reminder that a little introspection can do you a world of good.

This is a women's fiction book so i wasn't really expecting romance but i was pleasantly surprised to see it present and beautifully executed (although no steamy scenes..this is not that kind of book). I think if this had been marketed as a romance i'd have had expectations of this story that it was never going to meet, because that's simply not what this is. But having the romance sneak up on me so suddenly was such a delight ( and if the author ever did foray into the art of romcom writing i would be the first in line to read!)

Ultimately i really adored this book. Its all the more amazing because i wasn't expecting to and it all sort of snuck up on me.n This book feels like a Norah Ephron romcom, just funny and fun and something to turn to on cozy nights at home.l
Lily Weiss is thirty two, single, and a professional bridesmaid because she is a bridesmaid five times in a couple months! She starts to give so much of herself to others that she starts to lose herself. She doesn't like her job either so she starts a wedding blog! I really liked this aspect of the book!

I absolutely loved the writing style and I thought this was such a cute story! It's a great summer read for wedding season.

Thank you Net Galley for this free e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!
Such a fun book- bridezilla and bridesmania antics times five! This was a fast paced whirlwind that I couldn’t put down. I love the timely blog component of it and although it is easy to guess what might happen, it was well done and thoroughly enjoyed
Wow! What a book that I honestly wanted to enjoy but it was to much. To much candy cane for me.
The story line was all about weddings I didn’t expect it to be only that.
Lily agrees to be bridesmaid in five weddings over six weeks - to her boss Caryn, college roommate Sharon, her friend Megan, her brother Jake, and her sister Amy. As the expenses mount and time management pressures take a toll, Lily starts anonymously blogging about her experiences and frustrations as a bridesmaid, from Caryn’s catty friends and an awkward end to Megan’s engagement party to Sharon’s overbearing mother and sibling rivalry.
This debut novel offers one of the better examples of a wedding-related story. Lily was a fun character to follow as you waited for her public venting to get her in strife. I am looking forward to what the author does next.
"For The Love of Friends": 4⭐

(Thank you to @netgalley, @saragoodmanconfino and the publishers for allowing me to read this eArc copy in exchange for a review.)

What a snarky, most fun book to read! A new perspective on romance and womanhood that I absolutely adored!

Reading through the main character's perspective was absolutely stunning, so much fun and smart! The author has this really cute and adorable fluid writing which makes you crave for more!
Lily Weiss is going through a complicated situation. She’s the bridesmaid of five weddings - including her younger sister’s. In addition to feeling the pressure of being single and 32, without having a date to accompany her, she’s also forced to face several absurdities from the other bridesmaids and family members involved. To survive this, she starts an anonymous blog where she tells about the plans, and exercises her true passion: writing.

In the midst of so much frustration, she gets drunk and wakes up the next morning with an unidentified man beside her in bed. Nervous with herself, she runs out of room, doesn't even look at him and begs the bride not to tell her anything about the night before. She hates one of the groomsmen and believes it was him. Meanwhile, she ends up getting very close to Alex, another groomsman, and little by little this feeling becomes something more than just friendship.

I had so much fun reading this book! It was funny to imagine all this happening in real life. It's horrible to think that this pressure really exists, and that so many bridesmaids feel obliged to put up with such humiliating comments just out of respect for the bride.

It's a great book for anyone who enjoys conflicts between friends and family. Regarding the couple, the slow burn is real. Every time I thought something was finally going to happen, the subject changed and went back to wedding planning. But the ending doesn’t disappoint… And I felt like yelling out loud: I KNEW IT!

* I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.