Cover Image: For the Love of Friends

For the Love of Friends

For The Love Of Friends is the perfect summer read! It’s light-hearted, witty and engaging and worked in getting me out of the reading slump I was in. I really liked main character Lily and found her relatable and charming - her relationship with her dad is adorable and I felt sympathetic toward her relationship with her mum.

This book was never short of high pressure situations and considering Lily is a bridesmaid in 5 weddings over 2 months, this is unsurprising. I liked the romance element in this story and thought it was sweet but was equally glad that it didn’t take centre stage and was more of an addition as I preferred the wedding drama!

Big thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have so many warring thoughts about this book. If I take it as just the light, fluffy concoction that it is on the surface, it's fine. Really, just...fine. It was a quick read, contained lots of snark, had a completely predictable plot, and our heroine ends up with her HEA. Boom, automatic three stars.

But if I dig any deeper into it, this book makes me want to tear my hair out. As I stated, it's 100% predictable. Like, there was absolutely nothing that was a surprise, or an unexpected twist. Even the part that was supposed to be the unexpected twist. Anyone who hadn't figured out who the mystery groomsman was way early in the book has obviously never read a romance novel before.

And then there are the characters. Honestly, the only likeable characters for me were Alex, the love interest, and Lily's grandmother, who was hilarious. I would read a blog by that woman any day. But the rest of the cast? They're either extras from Mean Girls casting (Caryn's wedding), a feeble attempt to portray the struggle of living with social anxiety (Sharon), or our self-centered, judgmental heroine who lacks any sort of self-awareness. Also, how is it that she works in Public Relations and somehow doesn't realize that you shouldn't do shady things from your work computer? Or, like, how can you be an adult in today's society and not realize that?

And while I'm glad that Lily gets a clue at the end and does the right thing by apologizing to those she has hurt, I honestly think she was totally justified in what she said about Caryn and Megan. Caryn allowed her bridesmaid-zillas to force Lily to go thousands and thousands of dollars into debt and to body-shame her and force her to change her appearance for the sake of her precious wedding photos. I'm sorry, no. You deserve everything you get for allowing that kind of behavior to continue. And Megan? Your bestie should always have your back and not suddenly drop out of your life and resurface only to criticize you and, again, body-shame you.

So yes, this was a three-star read for me, despite my issues with it, because it really was a fun and funny book. I loved Lily's blog posts. They were the best part of the story, and the author definitely knows how to write snark very well. If you're looking for a light summer read with a lot of humor, definitely check it out. If you're looking for something deeper, with nuanced character development, this will not be your thing, Honestly, I think this book would make a great movie. It has all the elements of a great rom-com.
How would you feel if you were 32-years old, incredibly single, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 invited to 5 different weddings! Mind you, the weddings all happen within a span of 6 weeks. That is exactly what Lily had to go through in this book by being in the wedding party of her BFF, college roommate, work bestie, future sister-in-law who doesn't seem to talk, and her can-never-do-anything-wrong baby sister. With things going all different directions when her life was already a mess, Lily needed an outlet to vent; therefore, an anonymous blog Bridesmania was born.

The only wedding / bridesmaids drama I know is from the movie Bridesmaids. If you haven't watched it, I strongly recommend it for you to watch it. Let's say this book was Bridesmaids on a steroids! There were constant drama that kept me on my toes (or should I say fingers?), and I felt Lily so much. Luckily, I have not been invited to that many weddings at the same time, but reading about what Lily was going through in each wedding was overwhelming and some what worrisome in a funny way. It's good to know that people will act crazy under a lot of stress!

Lily was such a relatable character, and I was rooting for her happiness the entire read. When the cute Starbucks love notes start to come, I was in the clouds screaming for joy. I especially loved reading about her growth when the anonymous blog Bridesmania was discovered by everyone. I meant 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦. It was a nightmare, even for myself as a reader, but Lily learned that not everything is about her.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. At many times, I literally laughed out loud - That's when you know the book is 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 good. It was such a cute summer read and honestly, I'm excited for future books from Sara Goodman Confino.

Thank you to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for giving me an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
At thirty-two and still single, Lily Weiss is her mother's worst nightmare. She's a talented writer but hides behind a boring job at a science foundation. However, her three best friends and two younger siblings see her as reliable and selfless, which is how she ends up being a bridesmaid in all five of their weddings in the span of six weeks. As wedding preparations ramp up, Lily needs a safe place to vent, which is how her anonymous blog Bridesmania is born. The posts start pouring out of her, and Lily doesn't hold back. But as everyone knows, few things online remain secret forever...

This was such a fun, snarky and dramatic read! I think it would work really well as a movie or a TV show. While Lily did have some selfish tendencies (who writes horrible things about their friends online to make a little money?), I found her to be very selfless as she put up with a lot to be with her friends on their special day. The romance was good, however I would have liked to see more of it as Alex and Lily had a really great dynamic together. While the plot was predictable and it took me a few chapters to get the characters straight, this was a super enjoyable read that I would definitely recommend!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC< which I received in exchange for an honest review.
This was such a fun read! The author did a great job with the characters, especially the main character, Lily. I found myself getting frustrated on her behalf with all the various demands from all the brides (not to mention some of the “suggestions” made to her by other bridesmaids). This book kept my attention with the plot and the humor. I look forward to reading future books from this author!
This book kept me engaged and entertained. The story is fun and relatable. Being a bride that had to deal with rescheduling her wedding because of covid, I could relate to how ridiculous some things become.

While I don’t think I completely connected with the characters and sometimes found them borderline unlikable, I still really enjoyed this as a whole.
This book is super cute! Also, it made me hope to never ever be a bridesmaid if this is really what our friends turn into when they get married…eek! Reminder to self: if I ever get married (Lily and I are two peas in a pod here haha) do not do any of the things Lily’s friends do!

Seriously though, this book is hilarious but also emotional. Lily is a bridesmaid in FIVE weddings! Lily is also single and her mother won’t let her forget it! If Lily could just find a way to love herself enough to let someone love her she might still get that happily ever after all her friends have after all!
Lily Weiss is her mother’s worst nightmare: thirty-two and single—the horror! She’s also a talented writer but hides behind a boring job at a science foundation. To her friends, she’s reliable and selfless, which is how she winds up a bridesmaid in five weddings in six weeks. Anything for her three best friends and two (younger) siblings, right? To keep her sanity, Lily needs a safe place to vent. And so her anonymous blog, Bridesmania, is born.

For the Love of Friends is a typical summer read- everybody knows that summer is the best season for weddings and everybody knows it's impossible to survive being a bridesmaid in five weddings over two months without some major damage to one's sanity.

This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.

3.5/5.
a quick read. although it did not work for me because i was frustrated most of the time with the characters. the premise was interesting at first but it didn't really kept my attention til the end.
Thank you so much to the author, Sara Goodman Confino, the publisher, Lake Union Publishing, and NetGalley for giving me an e-ARC to read this in exchange for an honest review.

I’m a huge sucker for fun illustrated covers and For the Love of Friends did not disappoint. The story goes on about a 32-years old woman, Lily Weiss, who became a bridesmaid in 5 different weddings. She writes about her experience being a bridesmaid on her blog, Bridesmania, to receive some extra cash to pay for all the wedding stuffs, until she goes viral.

The book has a similar vibe to the movie, 27 Dresses. It was cute, funny, and lighthearted as well as emotional on the right parts. The book really tells the reality of being an adult and I can really feel the frustrations that Lily felt with each wedding that I feel like wanting to bash some of the brides’ (and other bridesmaids) head.

I like how the author portrays family relationships in this, on how we thought each of our sibling receive special treatment when we’re all just have different problems and struggles. And even though, our parents can be a bit overbearing, in the end, they always think about what’s best for us.

I really enjoyed this book that I finished the book in one sitting. It’s a perfect book to read in the summer. Recommended for anyone who love to read romcom.
I absolutely adored this book and I devoured it within a day. The characters were all really well fleshed-out. I could understand where all of them were coming from and even though, it was a pretty quick read, I became quite attached to them. I would have been great if Lily's boss, Martin, was shown more and her Grandma! She is hilarious. That's the old woman I strive to be. :)
Funny! Romance from debut author (who I'm now following and anxious for any subsequent books!  Keep writing!)

Longer review to follow. Too many Laugh Out Loud moments to count!  Really loved the grandma!

Lily agrees to be a bridesmaid in 5 weddings that all occur within a couple months.  Wow.  That would be stressful, how would you pay for all the expenses.  hmmm ... maybe a blog would be an outlet for the stress?  If it were kept anonymous, what would be the harm in that?  Bridezillamania ensues.  This was such a fun easy read!

Thank you to NetGalley, the author Sara Goodman Confino and publisher for the opportunity to review For the Love of Friends in exchange for an honest review.
Oldest of three, 32-year-old single Lily Weiss has been asked to be a bridesmaid in 5 weddings over the course of 6 weeks - her work bestie, her BFF, college roommate, her future sister-in-law and her perennially “dumped in mud, comes up roses” baby sister. Between nightmare dress fittings, horrible co-bridesmaids, wedding emails and monthly newsletters, douchy groomsmen and truly insane requests/demands from bridezillas, Lily’s had it with these brides and weddings and needs to vent to someone. But who? Everyone she knows is connected to a wedding… so she starts an anonymous blog, Bridesmania, which becomes her safe place to rant on the insanity that is her life. How far will Lily go, and how much can she take, for the love of these brides?

Oh man, did I laugh reading this one. It’s so flipping funny. These brides are beyond crazy. There’s definitely creative license taken here (I hope) with the nightmare level of the brides, bridal parties and weddings in general, and I’m here for that entertainment. It’s a bit Bridesmaids and 27 Dresses rolled together, hand over the popcorn.

There’s also a cute blossoming romance that develops with some really swoony Starbucks love notes - heck yes!! You sort of know where this is one going, but the ride along the way is hysterical, charming, the best type of awkward. The story grabs you from the first page with a hilariously “yikes” groomsmen encounter and carries on to be a quick and enjoyable read, perfect for the end of summer/wedding season.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the author and Lake Union Publishing for the e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.
What an awesome summer read! I really enjoyed this book so much. Lily was a great main character. I loved the way that she developed into a better person. I found myself laughing out loud in many parts. Someday, my husband will learn not to ask me what, when I am laughing during a book. He never gets the short answer. He hears about the entire book! Lol! The writing was a lot of fun! I look forward to more books by this author!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 stars from me! I think all romcom lovers need to read this!
I have to start my review by saying that I totally got 27 Dresses vibes… Until this little inner dialogue by the main character:⁣
⁣
“If it sounds like the plot of that ridiculous Katherine Heigl movie, let me stop you right there because I don’t have twenty-seven friends close enough to want me in their weddings. (Does anyone? That might have been the least realistic part.)”⁣
⁣
Oops. I mean “always a bridesmaid, never a bride” saying fits some stories perfectly. ⁣
⁣
Lily is 32 and single. Her current love life (and its nonexistence) is her mother’s worst nightmare. Things get even more complicated when (almost) everyone around her is getting married. Soon she realises that she is a bridesmaid for five different weddings in 6 weeks.⁣
⁣
To process her mixed feelings about the wedding planning and events leading to the big day(s), Lily decides to start an anonymous blog called Bridesmania. There she can vent all she wants without anyone knowing. At least that is what Lily thinks… ⁣
⁣
I absolutely loved this book and its plot. Lily is such an amazing main character who goes through A LOT. Sure, some of her actions are childish, but the author manages to make everything work and explains her actions well. I really enjoyed her character development and how her relationships changed throughout the story. ⁣
⁣
Even I adore Lily, my favourite character is Alex. What can I say… He is just dreamy. Perfect book boyfriend material for sure. I was also laughing out loud when Lily’s grandma was present. Her sassy and no-fucks-given attitude is what I aim for when I am older. ⁣
⁣
Overall, this book surprised me in a positive way. I can wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys closed-door romcoms and humorous fiction mixed together. It is sweet, hilarious and unlike many other stories.
Relatable, sassy, honest and straight shooting! This book captures you and totally sucks you in with its honest emotional dive into a bridesmaid’s world. Sarah Confino writes with such strength about the challenges of family and friends and their relationships with her as they enter the mania of wedding land. Reading this book was a blast! It reminded me of my times as a bridesmaid and made me think about my own behavior when I was the bride and ponder on how much drama I may have created for my bridesmaids.  Ironically, this book is kind of a “what not to do” as the mother of the bride for me personally which I will take note of when my own children get married.  You really cannot wait to see how each wedding is going to turn out and how relationships will be handled as they go through this tumultuous experience. Lily is a champion and you feel for her as she tries to process and accommodate unrealistic expectations of other people in these five weddings and remains hopeful for her own happiness one day. This story is so exciting that I had to borrow my friend’s  audiobook version so I could continue to listen to the story on my drive when I had to put the book down and get behind the wheel!
I don’t know why, but sometimes I’m just drawn to these fun illustrated  novels. This was a book that I requested from @netgalley solely based on thinking the cover was cute and light. There were so many relatable things in this book from my own experiences as a bridesmaid and a bridezilla. One of them being I got Botox a month before my own wedding for the first time. I liked the friends-to-lovers trope, but I was a little disappointed that there was literally no steam in it. I’m ok with closed-door books, but this was not even closed-door. Besides that, I think this is a great read for the pool/beach!

Thank you to @netgalley for the digital ARC copy of this book. It was published on 8/1, so def check it out!
For the Love of Friends is what I'd consider a mostly light-hearted summer read. While the book's protagonist, Lily, did tackle a few of the difficult subjects that women face in their lives, it was all handled in a humorous-sometimes delightfully snarky-way. Lily has some great insight into what makes her friends tick, and after a serious miscalculation in blogging about those insights she is forced to turn that lens on herself. I really enjoyed the humor in this story, which helped to keep the book from getting too dark in terms of the catty bridesmaid and bridezilla interactions. The romance is definitely not the priority of the story, but was slow-burn and very sweet. I love a great friends to lovers relationship.
If this is what we get from the author's first book, than I'm looking forward to the stories that are shared next.
This book was hilarious and so much fun!! I love weddings, but I can’t even imagine being in 5 weddings during one summer and Lily’s blog of keeping it up with it was absolute perfection. We’ve all come across a bridezilla or two!

But despite all the laughs, this story still had plenty of heart. It’s about friendships, family, and falling in love!
Romcom lovers this one is for you!
A lighthearted, chicklit read, this followed a girl who doesn't know quite how to say no to her friends. Between the disasterous wedding party requests and the really sweet romance, I found myself really falling for this one. Would recommend.