Cover Image: Filthy Animals

Filthy Animals

Another fantastic read from Brandon Taylor. After recently reading and loving REAL LIFE, I was excited to have an opportunity to read this collection of stories, and it solidified for me that nobody writes about the inner turmoil of underrepresented young people quite like he does. I had trouble putting it down because each story resonated so deeply with me.

I will be reviewing this on my IG closer to pub date, and will include a link then.
I am so glad I’ve been going out of my comfort zone and reading more short story collections this year.
I loved how the most of the stories were interlinked. Short story collections are usually iffy with me because I want more. I felt the way these stories synced with each other gave me the “more” I always crave.
These stories explore race, sexuality, gender, and more. The portraits that are painted of these people all feel very intimate. All of these people are questioning life and what it means for them and what it gives them. They’re all a little bit fragile, and that’s okay. They’re making their way in their own time. I appreciated how their vulnerabilities were  shown.
I have not yet had the pleasure of reading his other works, but you can bet I’ll be getting to them ASAP!
After recently reading Taylor's debut, I was thrilled to have the chance to read Filthy Animals too. At first I was hesitant - the first story parallels so much of the plot and characterization in Real Life. However it was the way that this initial plot thread is drawn through the other stories, which are always varied and from different perspectives, but are interlinked in some small or significant way, that really interested me. Taylor does a great job with character sketches - each individual feels authentic and flawed. Some stories were stronger than others, but I especially loved the ones that took off in a strange or new direction, like the babysitter dealing with a feral charge, or the young gay dancer experiencing a health scare and reflecting on his relationships with his siblings. This collection is really lovely.
This is a really impressive short story collection. I'm a fan of the author's first novel and this collection did not disappoint at all. The author writes about sexuality, race, class, and grief with deft tenderness and originality. As a negative, however, the stories are all in the same POV and the same style; this works well for me personally, but I can see how some readers may not click with the author's stylistic choice, and some people might crave more versatility. Still, I definitely recommend this collection overall!
I loved Real Life and I was pleased to find that this book is just as brilliant. I didn't realize it was a short story collection until I started reading it. It's interesting that some of the stories connect to each other and some don't, or not in any way that I could perceive. There is something about Brandon Taylor's writing that feels classic yet bleeding edge at the same time. I can't think of any other living author who writes the way he does, and I am here for every bit of it!
One of the most exciting authors writing right now. These beautiful stories fit together perfectly while also standing tall individually, a feat that's absolutely not easy to pull off. Can't wait to read more from him!
I liked Taylor's novel, Real Life, but these stories did not grab me in the same way as other collections do. Maybe it was the format on which I read it (digitally). The first story in the collection felt identical to Real Life.