Cover Image: The Fiancée

The Fiancée

Is this the perfect family or not? The story begins as the the whole family gets together for the weekend at the parent’s house. Hannah loves to visit with her in-laws, she sees them as the perfect couple. Add a fiancée that is new to the family, some cheating spouses, an interfering mother in law, a death that quickly becomes murder. This book keeps you guessing until the very end.
This book was EXCELLENT!! I thought I had it all figured out nope I did not see that ending coming! I loved the fast pace of this book. Highly recommend!!
Thank you to Netgalley and the author for allowing me to read this!

I was instantly intrigued by the synopsis of this book. This book instantly drew me in, I got to explore through the eyes of our main character and this is always my favorite way to discover these details of the story and, it was done very well in this book. I really enjoyed this book and the plot. This author did amazing. I loved the writing style.
I thought the premise was really good, but I had a hard time getting into this book. It was difficult for me to connect with any of the characters, and I often found myself skimming - which was disappointing for a book that was supposed to be suspenseful. Sadly it just fell a little flat for me.
I feel like the ending to this book came out of nowhere. The MC spent the whole time obsessing over Hannah because of her career. I don't think this is a spoiler because with the way it's written it is pretty obvious that someone else has done it. I hated how there didn't seem to be any clues to the ending at all. Just completely came out of left field. Still written well, I just wish the story would have went in a different direction.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for granting me access to an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I don’t think Kate White is for me. This is the second book I’ve read by her that I didn’t like.
My main issue is that I found myself skimming over a lot of the story. Despite the fact that there are two people killed throughout I was still bored. If you’re looking for a mystery then this is it. Maybe even domestic suspense, but it’s not a thriller.
The Fiancee
by Karen White
Pub Date: June 29, 2021
Harper Paperbacks

They had everything they needed for a perfect family vacation: close-knit relatives, a bucolic setting . . . and a murderer in their midst?
Thanks to Harper Paperbacks and Netgalley for the ARC.  I enjoy thriller/mystery books but this one did not rank well on my radar.
Mindless and predictable with unlikeable and unbelievable characters. I have read other books by  Karen White that I enjoyed, this one just fell flat for me.
Good book, just not one that left me wanting more.
3 star.
The Fiancee by Kate White was a well written book , and also not what I was expecting.
This book hooked me from page 1. I couldn't put it down. The number of twists kept me
guessing the whole way. Just when you think you know, you don't know at all.
So well written.
2.5 stars.  I am usually a big fan of this author, but this one left me bored and expecting more than the easy out of the reveal.  I did love the setting and actually really liked the cast of characters even though they were a bunch of unlikeable people.  But the ending was so abrupt and I kept expecting a twist.  I feel like this is a good book for someone just getting into the suspense/mystery genre.
Summer, her husband Gabe, and his stepson Henry are looking forward to a relaxing few weeks at Gabe's parents' sprawling estate in California. They'll be meeting up with the rest of Gabe's family including his brothers and their spouses there. What Summer doesn't count on is seeing someone familiar -- Hannah, Gabe's brother's new fiancee! While Summer recognizes Hannah, Hannah claims not to recognize her. Summer finds this odd and does some digging on her potential new sister-in-law. What she finds shocks her! Is Hannah who she says she is?

After a family member (or two) are found dead, Summer points the finger at Hannah. Did she have reason to kill? Or is grief playing at Summer and making her see/feel things that aren't there?

I thought the ending of this book was super quick -- it was about 90 percent buildup, and 10 percent action. Even the crucial hero-in-danger scene was too sparse for me -- I never really got the feeling that Summer wouldn't make it out alive as it was over right away! I was almost waiting for the other shoe to drop and have the REAL killer unmasked a couple pages later (again). I didn't particularly empathize with any of the characters -- probably only Henry really. I could have done with a bit more action.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the eARC.
A wealthy family on the annual vacation to the family estate becomes  ensnared in several surprises - including betrayal and murder.
The main character and narrator, Summer, is sure she knows who not to trust. But, is she right? A bit predictable, but still a good read with lots of twists and turns.
A thank you to Netgalley for sharing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This will be a concise review. If you've got a thing for incredibly dramatic narrators and soap opera stories, this may just be a fun read for you. If not, you'd be better off reading a different Kate White book if you're a fan of the author. It would be an entertaining enough travel read, but this book was not my favorie of the author.
I love Kate White so much and she quickly became an auto-buy author for me with her Bailey Weggins series. Clearly, this means I also read have to every single one of her standalones, and I couldn't wait to start The Fiancée. This is a novel FULL of family secrets which is something I always love in my books, and White did not disappoint me at all with this one. There are plenty of red herrings as she is wont to do, and I don't think I could have guessed the final twist in a million years. I really had no idea what was going to happen, and it kept me guessing the entire time, which is usually what happens when I read a book by this author. I love her humor, her writing style, and her references, and reading a book by White is one of my favorite things to do when I need something I know for sure I will enjoy.

So okay, maybe The Fiancée won't shock everyone and the twist comes a bit from left field, but does that mean it isn't enjoyable? No, it does not, and I think if you are a fan of White's writing style then you will like this book. I have read all of her last few books minus a couple of the Weggins series and nothing stops me from really enjoying each of them in some way. Her audiobooks can sometimes be hit or miss for me, especially with the older Weggins's novels but this was a complete hit for me on audio. The narrator is Cindy Kay who I don't believe I have listened to before now, but she did an amazing job as Summer for this novel. Her narration was very smooth, and her voice perfectly matched how I would picture Summer sounding. The majority of The Fiancée was pretty fast-paced and exciting, and if family drama and secrets are things that really get you going this is a perfect read. I didn't mind the not-so-wealthy girl being married to a wealthy man with a wealthy family, and honestly, those are some of the books I enjoy the most. And of course, how would this book have been complete if Summer hadn't gone out sleuthing?

I received a complimentary digital copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
It is like the guest list so I loved it from that alone. This was so well done. I could not believe how much I loved this book, it is insane!

Someone is found dead at a family reunion. Lies and secrets are all around, and there are lots of twists and turns to be found as well. There is never a dull moment when it comes to this book! The twists and surprises never stop, making this book impossible to put down! Loved the way the book flowed and how everything was a cohesive unit. Drawn in from the start, this is a must for thriller fans.
White is a master of suspense and this is no exception. The storyline keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very last chapter.
4.5 Stars
3 1/2 stars, a better than average thriller, & I actually didn't know who the murderer was. This was the first book I've read by this author, but it won't be the last. I very much enjoy her writing style and how she handles suspense.
I loved that everyone in this book was a suspect and I had no clue where it was going and kept me guessing until the very end. Check this one out if you enjoy locked room domestic thrillers.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Harper Paperbacks for providing a digital copy of this book.

Summer is looking forward to a break from the city with her husband Gabe and step son Henry as they go to Gabe’s parents estate out in the country for their annual vacation. However this year, Gabe’s younger brother Nick brings along his new girlfriend Hannah who Summer instantly recognizes from past theater work. Hannah oddly denies ever having met her when Summer knows for fact this is a lie. Rattled, Summer is forced to hide her suspicions once Nick reveals to the family that he has proposed to Hannah and she said yes. Summer can’t shake the feeling of something being off with her brother-in-law’s new Fiancée when suddenly a family member is found dead and Summer’s suspicions of Hannah rise to a whole new level once she realizes she may be capable of murder.

This was definitely a slow burn thriller that was a little too slow for me. However, the twist was very good, I did not see it coming and did come as a shock which is always a plus for me. The twist in this one again came near the very end and I wish their was more emphasis on it since it was a little out of left field. I love a good family drama, and this was just that, the author also does a good job of making you suspect everyone which did throw me off in trying to figure out who the murderer is. I also wasn’t really a fan of any of the characters in this story, especially Summer. This was an interesting thriller with a good twist it just hit a little too late into the story for me.
This was a fun, twisty, fast-paced thriller. Summer, an actress, is looking forward to her annual vacation with her husband's Martha Stewart Living/Kennedy-esque family at their fancy compound. Gourmet meals, long walks, a badminton tournament, and lounging by the pool... it's all perfect until someone unexpectedly dies and Summer suspects her new soon-to-be sister-in-law has something to do with it. Summer was a great character -- and she wasn't stupid, which was a pleasant change from many thriller protagonists. The final twist was a little goofy, but whatever. This book was entertaining and is a perfect beach read.
This book was a page turner!  It took me in from the beginning to the very (totally unexpected) end.

Well written - great character development (except I didn't like Gabe through much of it).

One of those families we all wish we could have - till you glimpse the imperfections.

Totally recommend to any mystery reader.