Cover Image: Just Last Night

Just Last Night

This book was unfortunately not for me. I got about 30% in and I just could not get into it. I honestly don’t even remember what it was about. I know others absolutely loved this book, so I recommend checking out their reviews for it! It may have just been the timing, I may try and check it out again at a later date.
While this is technically listed as a romance, and it did have romance with a sort of happily ever after, it was more focused on grief and missed opportunities.  It was gut-wrenching.  I think McFarlane's books are marketed as light-hearted romances, but they are not.  Totally worth your reading time, though.
Ugh so beautiful. The heartache and the grief was palpable. I felt all sorts of emotions that I did not expect. Thank you for the arc!
I wish that I had enjoyed this book more than I did, I was annoyed by Eva and Edwards and just wanted to scream at them, I also did not like the character development of the main character.
With each new read, I continue to become more and more impressed with Mhairi McFarlane. There’s just something about her somewhat dark sense of humor that just speaks to my soul. I wasn’t expecting it to still be present in a story that navigates the process of grief, but it managed to be a motivating factor in the healing process for these characters. This story had a most impressive range of emotions and discussed grief in such a tangible way. Heartbreaking and moving.
While this wasn't my favorite McFarlane Book, I find her to be a good read alike for Emily Henry when Henry's books are hefty hold lists
A delightful book full of adventure, action, and thrills. Fun to read, engrossing world building, and very descriptive imagery made it feel like it was cinematic. It's hard to resist the story as it drives forward. Would recommend.
This is my third Mhairi McFarlane book, and while the others I've read by her have been slow to get going but then were fascinating, this one was a bit more evenly paced but never got stellar. Eve, Justin, Susie, and Ed are a tight foursome of friends, even though Eve is secretly in love with Ed. A major tragedy happens to change everyone's lives, and lots of secrets are revealed. Unfortunately, I found the main character, Eve, to be not very likable and somewhat pathetic, which made it hard for me to root for her. I was expecting this to be a light read, and while it does have a happy ending, there are a lot of serious themes of grief and loss, so it wasn't quite what I thought based on the cover / genre.
First of wow! Second of all, where can I get more of this?!? This was truly a roller coaster for me, and I think I just want to take another ride. The character? Mwah <3. Plot? 8/10! Ending? Read to find out *wink*.

P.s. if you are planning on reading it….. READ IT!! I recommend it to my cousin and she too loved it. And she isn’t even much of a book reader!!
I did not click with this book at all. I thought it would be a contemporary romance novel but the authors sense of romance is different from mine.
The worst thing about this book is that it took me only three hours to read it. After waiting over a year to get my paws on a new Mhairi McFarlane treasure, you would think I would try to make this one last—savoring it, stretching it out over a few days, at the very least—knowing full well that I wouldn't be getting another one for at least another year. But nope. I'm just not wired that way. And trust me, you won't be able to put Just Last Night down either. This is Mhairi at her very best.

A quick aside: Do not read the Publishers Weekly review of this book (the one on the B&N website) unless you want to be semi-spoiled. Not only does it reveal who exactly is killed—something that is left intentionally vague in the official synopsis and isn't revealed until the ~20% mark—but it also makes it fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain what the "life-changing" secret is that Eve (the MC) learns upon said friend's death (which, again, the reader doesn't discover for him/herself until halfway through the book). I was actually so sure that a major review—let alone one advertised on a bookseller's website—wouldn't be so free with the spoilers that I had half-convinced myself that it was intentional misdirection on their part to throw the reader off the scent. As it turns out, that was not the case; they were just careless.
It was ok. I felt it dragged a bit in certain points and I didn't click with the character. Not for me :(
I kept waiting for the romance to start, and it never really did. I was confused by who was going to be the love interest and by the end, we never really got to see any relationships blossom. I loved the build up of her relationship with Fin, the destruction of her infatuation with Ed, and I thought that had the potential for a really electrifying love-triangle plot that never quite hit. And I felt what kept me hooked the most was the potential of what the story was building to that ultimately never came. No love triangle. The "romance" with Ed that lead to nothing. The adorable, flirty road trip with Fin that could have lead to a fiery hookup but was just platonic aside from some bubbly feelings. I wanted so much more.

That being said, I loved every single second of this story. I think the "more" that I am hoping for just shows how completely infatuated I am with each of these characters. I loved their story. I loved being with Eve as she experienced all these levels of grief and fought for her friend after her death. I just loved it.

While this isnt the fluffy romance I was hoping for, still got a lot out of this story, and I'm absolutely hooked on reading more from Mhairi.
Oh my goodness I was not expecting to feel so much while reading this! I found myself sobbing at points and laughing at others. This was a first book for me with this author and I would definitely check them out again!
"This is what I never knew about loss- it's also about what you gain. You carry a weight that you never had before. It's never behind you. It's alongside you."
I've never read a Mhairi McFarlane book I don't like and 'Just Last Night' is no exception. This was so compulsively readable and I binged it one sitting. Mhairi (pronounced "Vah-ree") McFarlane is so good at writing seemingly light stories that have so much more going on under the surface.
'Just Last Night' initially seems to be a story of unrequited love but it's really a tale of grief and how one learns to navigate it, sprinkled with McFarlane's trademark humorous realism.
Eve, Justin, Susie, and Ed have been friends since they were teens. We meet them now in their 30s and they all seem to be as tight as ever. The only problem is that Eve has been in love with Ed for 16 years but he's engaged to a woman they all hate. One night a tragic event changes them all forever and Eve is forced to question everything she thought she knew.
It would have been so easy for grief to hang over the story like a spectre and even though this is darker than McFarlane's usual fare, there are many satisfying moments and real growth of the characters that makes it all worthwhile.
I'm knocking off a star because the romance is incorporated into the story much later than I'd like and it would have benefited from a little more development. Regardless, I heartily recommend this book. A ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ read for me
I love Mhairi McFarlane books for the laugh factor. There's something about the way she writes that actually makes me laugh out loud when intended, which isn't always the case for a rom-com. Just Last Night, however, made me cry. That's right. I sobbed at this story at friendship and ugly truths and intense grief. Dang it, Mhairi. This is gutwrenching and heartstring tugging, and McFarlane's singular voice shines through. SO GOOD.
Oh my heart. This was a tough one to get through.

In fact, I started reading Just Last Night two previous times and just couldn’t get into it. The characters, the pacing, nothing was pulling me in. But then I came across the audiobook and gave it a chance while mopping floors and vacuuming carpet in my house. It took about 10 chapters, but I finally did get into the story of four life-long friends in their mid 30s. I was then able to pick up the book when my chores were done for the day and finish the rest of the tale.

Mostly, this is a story about Eve and her grief after she tragically loses her best friend. As Eve mourns Susie, she also has to accept the fact that things she knew about their tight knit group may not be exactly what she thought they were. When she’s forced to reframe the relationships she thought she knew so well, she has to decide if she’s going to live in the past or move forward.

This was a heartbreaking story. Eve’s sorrow is often palpable and overwhelming. Yet it was heartwarming to see how the remaining three friends bonded together to help each other navigate their profound loss. After an extremely slow start, things ended well. Really well.

But here’s the thing: this book is presented as a romance. There’s a couple on the cover. Whether you should judge a book by its cover is beside the point. When you go into a book thinking you’re going to get one kind of story and you get another, it can be a recipe for either a pleasant surprise…or an unpleasant disappointment. This time - for me - it landed on the side of disappointment.

Nevertheless, Just Last Night was brilliantly written and there isn’t a single cliched thing about the story - not the characters, not the storylines. I’m glad I was able to get through enough of the story where I finally cared about the characters and their stories (not that I necessarily liked them). But I also wanted far more of the romance than what we got.

* thank you to NetGalley and William Morrow and Custom House for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review
This is a content warning - this book deals with the sudden death of a friend involving a car.

when I requested this book - I saw McFarlane's name and the fun and bright cover and thought that I would be receiving a romantic comedy of sorts and that is not what happened at all.

This could be therapeutic for some - but could be very hard for others to read. The characters in this one are a little older and more in my age group, so that was a nice change.
Eve, Justin, Susie, and Ed have been friends since they were teenagers. Now in their thirties, the four are as close as ever, Thursday night bar trivia is sacred, and Eve is still secretly in love with Ed. Maybe she should have moved on by now, but she can’t stop thinking about what could have been. And she knows Ed still thinks about it, too.

But then, in an instant, their lives are changed forever.

In the aftermath, Eve’s world is upended. As stunning secrets are revealed, she begins to wonder if she really knew her friends as well as she thought. And when someone from the past comes back into her life, Eve’s future veers in a surprising new direction...

They say every love story starts with a single moment. What if it was just last night?
I was recced this book by a friend who told it me contained messy characters (those are my favorite). I was really getting in to this book but then was surprised by a death via an incident with a car. This is a thing I am at times very sensitive to. So unfortunately I was not able to finish it. I would recommend a content warning for this book. As the events were very realistic and other readers may have the same issue that I did.