Cover Image: Home for A While

Home for A While

What a wonderful book! The illustrations are sensitive to audience and text. It is appropriate BOTH for fostering adult AND distressed child. In it, the child is working through his feelings of being unwanted by physical acts and the foster parent responds calmly with redirection and positive encouragement. I loved it!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from American Psychological Association/ Magination Press via NetGalley. Thank you!
4.5 Stars

Home for a While is a story about little Calvin who goes to live with a foster caregiver for a while. He is depressed, dejected, angry, unwilling to trust, and unable to express his feelings. However, Maggie is patient and suggests ways for him to let go of his pent-up frustrations.
Each night Maggie asks him if she can hug him. Calvin wonders why she wants to. Each night, she gives him an answer that instills confidence in him.
It’s great to see a picture book tackle issues like foster care and overwhelming emotions. I love the illustrations (they felt so real!) and the steady progress from frustration to mild hope to acceptance.
It would have been great if Maggie and Calvin talked about what’s hurting him. But given the complexity of the issue and the length of picture books, it might have gotten a little too much. Maybe a sequel for this to show how to initiate a conversation and express their feelings in words?
To conclude, Home for a While is a sad yet beautiful book. It can be used as a basis to start discussing foster care and how it impacts kids.
I received an ARC from NetGalley, American Psychological Association, and Magination Press and am voluntarily leaving a review.
I really enjoyed this book. I haven’t come across many books about foster care and this one was great. The illustrations are bright and appealing and the story shows foster children that they are lovable.
This was one of the sweetest books I have ever read. It opens doors to perspectives from both the child's and caregivers' eyes and I love that the foster mother is black. Always warms my heart to have the main character be black. This is a great book for the early education classroom as well as for having at home to teach children better about those in foster care.
Thank you to Magination Press and Netgalley for a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I believe that there is a need for a book like "Home for a while." I enjoyed illustrator's use of colour and the diverse characters.

Overall, I think that this work is done well, but it doesn't necessarily fit the collections strategy for my library. I would have appreciated a stronger narrative throughout this title, because the book (in my opinion) comes across a touch didactic. Also, my library has not purchased any titles from Magination Press in at least 1o years, so I am not hopeful that this will be added to the collection.

Again, I believe that there is a need for this book and it was done well. Sadly, it just is not a good fit for my collection.
This is quite an emotional one.

The story tells about a boy under temporary care. He has lost all confidence in adults and strangers and feels unwanted.

The adult who is taking care of him takes care that he takes his time and be patient about the situation. And this is how she takes care of the kid.

Such a short yet impactful read. I love the illustrations so much!

Thank you, author/artist and the publisher, for the advance reading copy.
Colorfully illustrated, this picture book lovingly depicts the mixed emotions of a boy, Calvin, embarking on a new home, implying this is a child going to live in the home of a woman, Maggie. Calvin's feelings are externalized showing how fear, thoughts, and emotions are not us, but can cause us to react in ways that are inappropriate. No matter how Calvin's feelings manifest, Maggie reassures him he is inherently huggable and full of positive qualities. I like the way the book depicts through text and cartoonlike explosion of feelings, as well as offering more effective calming techniques beneficial for any child. While a foster home (and possibly autism-?) is implied here, I think it would make a stronger story if this was made more explicit either in the narrative or via back matter resources in the book. Without this kind of specificity or other outstanding qualities, this is less likely to be a book I would recommend.
There are few books that address the feelings of foster care kids.  This book does an admirable job.  Calvin is being moved into a new home “for a while”.  At first he does not want to be hugged and lets his feelings out in various destructive ways, but Maggie just helps him breathe and work through his emotions in a positive way.  This book was simply lovely and so are the Illustrations.  I also love that the illustrator made this an interracial pair which hasn’t been seen often in books on foster care.  I think all those who work in the foster care services would have a copy of this book.  To remind themselves of life’s difficulties when they need it, as well as to help children with new placements.
A much needed book about a child in foster care.

The storyline is believable and the illustrations are spot-on.

This book serves a very under-,served segment of children. There are a lot of kids in foster care and each and every one of them should be given a copy of this book.

5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I received an electronic ARC from American Psychological Association through NetGalley.
Kerstein uses a gentle touch as she shares Calvin's story. He arrives to stay with Maggie in yet another foster home though that term is not used in the book. I appreciate the caring way Maggie reached out to him and also acknowledged and accepted his responses. Too many young readers will identify with the emotional swings Calvin experiences as he seeks to be loved. By the end, Calvin has learned to trust the safety of Maggie's home as his home for "a while."
The illustrations offer a window into this relationship and the gamut of emotions children feel when their worlds are out of control.
An important book for children who are in foster care or find it difficult to be loved.. A warm and understanding text with lovely bright illustrations.

Home for a while is a cute illustrated book for children about a little boy who is in foster care and has moved to yet another home. He finds it very hard moving from home to home and gets very frustrated. The Foster carer teaches him (without him realising) how to help calm his anger and let it go.
Every night she asks if she can give him a hug, but he questions this every night - why would she want to hug him when nobody else wants to. Eventually he thaws and enjoys his time there realising he has found someone who cares for him and wants to help him and love him for being him.
This book is fantastic and would make a great resource for a foster carer and child and even as a school resource.
There is many uneasy emotions when a child is placed in foster care. One of them being am I wanted.
What if I do something wrong? Calvin has been placed in a home and his wise foster parent helps him sort out all those feelings. Even the feelings that Calvin is unware of. She directs him to breathe and know that he is valuable.

Good book for foster parents to help their foster children adjust. Makes way for conversation and understanding. Highly recommend.

A special thank you to Magination Press and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an electronic copy to read and review.

This is a great book to have on hand for all children, but specifically for children who might be living in temporary homes. It validates feelings and helps them realize how lovable they truly are.
What a wonderful story about a kid who's in foster care. He is so full of emotion that he doesn't quite know how to get it out. But his foster mom is patient, waiting for just the right moment to give him a hug. Written with wonderful repetition and beautiful lyrical language.
I think this book should be given to anyone who is a foster parent. The kids who are in the system have so many struggles, but this book would be great at giving them the message that they are home for a while and are wanted where they are. i think a lot of kids would be able to relate to this book.
Calvin is a sweet young boy who is moving in with Maggie, his new foster mom. Calvin feels unwanted and doesn’t understand why he is moving into a new home. He has some behavioral issues as navigates his new living environment. Maggie gently helps him calm his nerves and his breathing so that he can see that he is special and loved in his temporary home. This book would be perfect to share with children who are in the foster care system. It’s also a good resource to share with parents to help foster care to their children. It would also work for teachers to help share with students to show the diversity of families and explain how sometimes children have to live in a temporary housing situation. This is also a great book to share with children who are having emotional difficulties as it shows ways to help calm down and work through a crisis situation.
Awwww, I loves this! Diversity and unconditional love! There are so few books about the foster care system and this is a welcome, beautifully illustrated addition!
I LOVED IT! As a social worker myself I see children struggle with the same things Calvin did and I believe this book would be very beneficial for children growing up in the foster care system. Often these children are misunderstood and judged when in reality they just need patience and lots of love.
This was a really important book about foster care and would be a great resource for foster parents and other care providers.