Cover Image: The Whispers

The Whispers

Love books like this. What is the truth. What is a lie. Who can you trust. Who do you really know. Absolutely great!
Anna and Grace were inseparable as kids, they were like sisters. Grace and her family moved to Australia when she was 17. They didn't see each other again until many years later when Grace turns up outside Anna's house. She has moved back to their hometown in the hope of resurrecting their friendship. Anna has a group of school mums that she is very close to. Grace finds it hard to be an 'outsider'. Their past comes back to haunt them, particularly the night that Heather, another girl from school died. what exactly did happen and who is to blame?? The reader is taken through the events by both perspectives until the dramatic climax.
A fast paced book that is compelling and hard to put down.
I enjoyed this book. Anna and Grace were really close friends from a very young age until Grace moved to Australia when she was 17. Now both have become wives and mothers, and Grace is back, hoping to pick up from where they left off. But Anna has moved on and has a new set of friends. When Anna disappears after a night out, Grace is convinced something bad has happened. It then becomes apparent that Anna has been struggling with a secret that she and Grace have kept for years, one that Grace has no compunction in holding over her to get what she wants. This is a real page turner which will keep you guessing to the end. Thanks to NetGalley for a preview copy.
Copied to Goodreads.
A well paced and engaging thriller.  Well worth a read.

Rating:  3.3/5

"An event, seen from one point of view, gives one impression. Seen from another point of view, it gives much a different impression. But it's only when you get the whole picture, you can fully understand, what's going on."  This quote, borrowed from a brilliant television advert for "The Guardian" back in the 1980s, applies equally well to this thriller from Heidi Perks.

After emigrating to Australia with her family, Grace has returned to the English coastal town where she grew up.  In her youth she had an incredibly close friendship with Anna, who still lives in the town.  Many years have passed since they last saw each other and their lives have followed different paths.  Now that Grace has returned, will they be able to pick up where they left off, or have they grown too far apart in the interim?

The events are told alternately from the perspectives of the two main protagonists, Grace and Anna, and the story is divided into three parts.  In each of the first two parts we are given contrasting views of events, both present and past, but we will not have a complete picture until we are presented with the third and final part of the story.

Heidi Perks has delivered a well paced and engaging novel, with characters that are well drawn, if not always likeable.  Well worth a read.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for supplying an ARC in return for an honest review.
What is the difference between control and watching out for a friend. That is the conundrum for Anna as she meets up again with her very close childhood friend. She is now married, has a son and is one of a group of four friends, all mothers using the same school. She is happy with her friends but the return of troubled Grace from her past leads to difficult relationships and the recall of buried memories. This book is perceptive and very carefully constructed. The reader is kept on edge as new memories emerge. The story builds up to a dramatic ending in which justice seems to be served. The location is Clearwater near Weymouth and its closeness to the sea is significant to the story. I recommend the book.
Anna and Grace are more than childhood friends, their relationship goes much deeper.  Anna is welcomed into Grace’s home like another daughter and the girls do everything together, everyone else is excluded.  Events happen during their years together that makes their closeness uncomfortable for some, and the secret they share pulls them even closer together, but they are separated when one goes off to Australia with her parents.  Fast forward through the years and they are reunited, will the closeness resume where it left off?  Who depends on who? This story keeps you guessing right to the end.
Once again Heidi Perks has come up with a book full of secrets, tension and intrigue, she really is a master storyteller.  I read this in two sittings, couldn’t put it down, it is so good.  Thank you NetGalley.
I loved this book. The plot is clever and the themes of friendship and betrayal really appealed to me. I haven't read any of Heidi's books before, but I definitely will again. Her characters jump off the page and sing and I was really disappointed when I had to say goodbye to them at the end of the book!

Twisty, sad, poignant, funny, uplifting are all words I would use to describe this great book!

Can highly recommend.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for the early arc.
I really enjoyed reading this fast-paced thriller and finished it within a few hours!

I was gripped right from the start and my opinions of the characters changed as the story progressed, as more secrets and relationship dynamics were revealed.
Anna Robinson has disappeared after a night out with friends.  No one seems worried, apart from Grace, her childhood friend who has recently returned from Australia, where she’s lived since she was 17. Grace is positive something must have happened to Anna as she knows she would never leave her son Ethan. But no one will listen to her. Gossip runs rife amongst the mums at the school gates, excitement rippling through them, desperate for more information. Grace is determined to find her, whatever the others might think.

This shows the dynamics between groups of friends, old and new, and how sometimes they just don’t mesh. Jealousy and insecurities seem to be pulling them apart and add nicely to the tension running through this book. Although you think you know what’s going to happen, the story takes some interesting and unexpected turns. How far would you go to keep your friendship? The characters of both  Grace and Ann are very complex, their childhoods memories make for interesting reading as the story develops, with both of them having different perspectives on their friendship and the dynamic between them. A worthwhile read..

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This was the first novel that I've read by Heidi Perks.
I liked the setting and the two times frames. It was definitely full of mystery and intrigue.
The story was a little slow for me and I think the ending was very predictable.
Having said that I did overall enjoy it and would like to thank Netgalley uk and Random House, Cornerstone for an arc of this book.
Thank you NetGalley for this advanced copy. I'm on the fence with this one. I feel like the ending was way too predictable. Some secrets were shocking to me and there was some good suspense leading up to the end, but just predictable.
I love this fast paced thriller about a friend group.  I read it in a couple of hours it was so delicious.  Heidi Perks is a writer to watch.  Five stars highly recommend!
I loved this domestic thriller that tells the story of a young mother that disappears after a night out with friends. Suspenseful and engaging!
Another excellent novel by author Heid Perks, an author who I have read a lot of this year and found very entertaining.

This is a gripping story set in a small village where gossip spreads like wildfire. Anna Robinson has a loving husband a son she dotes on and a close circle of friends, so when she suddenly disappears overnight they are all concerned. Why has she disappeared, is she safe or the victim of an horrible crime.

Gripping novel with lots of twists that will keep you guessing to the very end. As per usual the author creates excellent characters that come to life on the page. Another winner.

I would like to thank both Netgalley and Random House, Cornerstone UK for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
#TheWhispers #NetGalley
A good read.
Anna Robinson hasn’t been seen since she went on a night out with her four closest friends.
She has a loving husband and a son she adores. Surely she wouldn’t abandon them and her perfect life.
But what has happened to her?
At the school gates, it’s not long before the rumours start.
This book is so pacey that I couldn't put it down.
Thanks to NetGalley and Cornerstone for giving me an advanced copy.