Cover Image: The Whispers

The Whispers

I thoroughly enjoyed this thriller. I enjoyed Heidi Perks’ last book, The Wives, but this is a step above.
Grace has moved back to her family home and is delighted to be living near to her oldest friend, Anna.  Cleverly alternating between the two protagonists, the novels messes with your head. What is the real backstory? Why is Grace back? And why is Anna so reluctant to spend time with her?
To say more would be to give the plot away but this is a excellent ride of a thriller. Definitely one to curl up on the sofa with, you won’t want to put it down.

Thank you to #netgalley and #randomhouse for allowing me to review this ARC
This book was really, really, really good. Totally addictive and it was hard to put down. Heidi Perks is a clever author who knows how to make you think you're following a certain path then BAM you get led down a completely different path with twists, shocks, secrets and an abundance of twisted characters who you will either love or hate. I was gobsmacked with the ending, I didn't think for a minute it was going to end that way. Brilliant characters, gripping plot and pages you can't stop turning. I can't wait to see what Heidi writes next.
Heidi Perks is a new writer to me but having read this excellent psychological thriller I shall be seeking out her work.  Grace has been living in Australia for many years and, now back in her home town, she expects to resume her friendship with Anna, which dates back to childhood.  Inevitably things have changed and Anna has a new group of friends who are very tight. In the course of this highly entertaining novel secrets from years ago are revealed and the fragile current situation is rocked.  Very enjoyable.
How well do you really know your best friend?
Grace and Anna have been best friends since they were 5 years old then Grace emigrates to Australia with her parents leaving Anna behind.
Forward twenty years and Grace is back!
At first Anna is pleased to see her but then Grace starts to get jealous of Anna's friends seemingly taking Anna away from her.
One evening after a night out in the pub Anna disappears. Grace is frantic and tries to find her best friend. Things then turn nasty.
I thought the ending was very fitting.
Mental health is a very sensitive issue although we don't always see it in others.
Thank you to Netgalley and Random House for the ARC
Well paced psychological thriller.

The concept stands out because it centres around a toxic relationship where the characters are generally unlikable.

Well written and the ending is very good.
After a night out with her friends and way to many shots, Anna vanishes and leaves her husband, son and four bestfriends behind. Everybody is worried, but only her eldest friend Grace seems to be really searching for her and asking questions. Whom can you trust?

Heidi Perks latest domestic psychological thriller is highly captivating and beautifully written as usual. It may not be as fast-paced as her other thrillers, but that’s okay, because this way you feel the tension increasing to a point where you just can’t endure any longer.

If you enjoy reading thrillers about toxic friendships, jealousy and possessiveness you shouldn’t miss „The Whispers“ out.

Thank you NetGalley / Random House UK Cornerstone for providing me with this arc in exchange for a honest review.
Told from the POV of two main protagonists, childhood best friends Anna and Grace, alternating from past to present, this psychological thriller builds tension through an unreliable narrator and misdirection. From the beginning, I thought I knew where the story was headed but halfway through it was a full 180 degree turn and I realized how wrong I was. The misdirection kept me intrigued to see how it would all play out, but unfortunately I felt it all fell a bit flat in the end. The characters felt stereotypical and overdone. I liked the small village setting with gossip spreading on the school playground amongst the mums picking up their children. It reminded me of a chorus in a Greek tragedy and I wish the author would have played to this a bit more. Overall I think this book is better in concept than in reality.
After Grace returns home after emigrating with her family at 17 she left behind her best friend Anna but on returning she hopes to regain that friendship again but Anna has moved on and now has a different set of friends.
When Anna disappears after a night out its pretty clear that things between Grace and Anna aren't all they seem to be.
Heidi has worked her magic again with this novel and keeps you guessing to the very end.
A dark and gripping thriller. I could not put this down and stayed up far too late to finish it as I just had to know what happened. A must read!
Grace returns to Clearwater from Australia where she moved with her parents, fully expecting to pick up her  friendship with Anna. Unfortunately life does not turn out as she had hoped and Anna goes missing. It turns out to be a gripping, page tuner of a novel- the ending of which takes you completely by surprise. .
Wow! A breath-taking thriller that will keep you guessing!

The whispers is a tale of Grace and Anna, childhood best friends until Grace moved to Australia aged 17. Grace returns to Clearwater and surprises Anna, who has very mixed emotions about her unexpected return.

The story will have you thinking up is down as you learn and relearn everything you need to know about Grace and Anna.

A tale of friendship, control, betrayal and fear. A brilliant read!
A brilliantly drawn and clever plot, in which initial appearances were definitely deceiving. This one has it all. Twists, turns and surprises galore, with nothing and no-one turning out as expected.
Complicated characters with plenty of depth and enough slow reveals to keep you guessing.
I loved this book, it was easy to read, built the suspense beautifully throughout and concluded with a satisfying crescendo. I was gripped from the beginning and didn't want to put it down until it was finished. One I will certainly be giving a second read at some point
The Whispers - Heidi Perks

This is the story of a toxic friendship. It’s not clear at the start that this is the case. And when you do realise it, it is not clear who the toxic friend is. Of course it slowly dawns and that’s pretty much the story.

After 19 years away Grace Goodwin returns to her hometown of Clearwater - a small coastal community in England. She had been dragged off to Australia by her parents at age 17. The worst part was leaving her best friend, Anna, behind. Since then Grace has married Graham and they have an 8 year old daughter Matilda. But Grace returns to Clearwater alone, well with Matilda of course, but Graham has a new job in Singapore and cannot get away very often.

When Anna first learns of Grace’s return she is thrilled. She had just been emptying out her father’s house after his death and there was her good friend Grace, literally on the doorstep. But she hasn’t realised the full implications. When she sees Grace at the school gates with Matilda she realises that Grace is back to stay. Oops, that’s quite awkward as Anna has a group of new friends and the four of them seem very cliquey. The very well put together Nancy seems particularly hostile towards Grace.

It all comes to a head shortly before Christmas. The four friends are used to having pre Christmas drinks at the local pub and this time Anna invites Grace to join them, but she is not made to feel welcome. But, as is usually the case with these sorts of stories - things are not quite what they seem and that night Anna doesn’t come home. Nobody else seems overly concerned by this and they do seem to be keeping something from Grace. It feels to her like she is the only one who is keen to find out what happened to Anna.

I didn’t get completely invested in this one. Sure it was a good story and well written but I found it frustrating at times as I’m quite a direct person and beating around the bush is something I hate. There was nothing unique about the plot but it was well put together and the misdirection worked very well. However, the outcome soon became apparent. None of the characters were particularly likeable either. Nevertheless it was an easy story to read and quite entertaining. Thanks to Netgalley, Random House UK, Cornerstone and Heidi Perks for providing a review copy. My opinions are my own.
This is a great dark story about friendship, deceit and lies. I truly didn't know who to believe in this story. Enjoyed this and would love to read more from this author.
The Whispers by Heidi Perks Pub Date 15 Apr 21
Anna Robinson hasn't been seen since she went on a night out with her four closest friends.
She has a loving husband and a son she adores. Surely she wouldn't abandon them and her perfect life.
But what has happened to her?
At the school gates, it's not long before the rumours start.
Why won't Anna's so-called friends or her husband go to the police? Why is no-one out there looking for her?
With each day that passes, Anna's life is under increasing threat. And as the pressure mounts, it won't be long before something cracks.
Grace returns to her childhood hometown of Clearwater after twenty years. Anna never left. They used to be best friends until Grace left with her parents when she was fourteen. Can they rekindle their friendship after all those years? Grace hopes so, but Anna has a new group of friends.
I have read four of Heidi's previous books, so I knew the standard I was expecting; I have not been disappointed.
In this fast-paced, tense psychological thriller, you'll find yourself caught up in its web of manipulation, jealousy and power. Many lies, twists and turns weave tantalisingly throughout this well-plotted story.
I highly recommend it.
I want to thank NetGalley, Random House Uk, Cornerstone and author Heidi Perks for a pre-publication copy to review.
I have read and reviewed the following by Heidi Perks, so I can also highly recommend 'Her One Mistake', 'Now You See Her', Three Perfect Liars', and 'Come Back For Me.'
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

The story centres around Anna and Grace. Anna and Grace have been friends since they were 5, right up until Grace and her family emigrated to Australia. Now, two decades down the line, Grace has moved back to her hometown, and really keen to restart her friendship with Anna, after they’ve lost touch somewhat over the years. Anna is now married with a son, and Grace is also married with a daughter. Her daughter starts at the same school as Anna’s son, and they’re in the same class. Anna now has 3 other really close “mum” friends, who instantly aren’t keen on Grace, and Grace isn’t so keen on them. Anna invites Grace to some pre Christmas drinks with herself and her 3 other friends, and the night doesn’t go as well as expected, and the next morning everyone realises Anna is missing. Grace then embarks on a mission to find her oldest friend.

This story was really well written, and really captured the whole friendship thing when you become older and a parent and having to run that gauntlet that is the “school run” with all the other mums who stand around in cliques, and you know they’re gossiping about everyone else. It also captured how friendships change as you get older because you change, and your priorities change. The characters were great, and really relatable. I found Grace overbearing, and also Nancy was a bit too strong, but that made the storyline work.
Overall I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend.
I usually like Heidi Perk's books, but was a bit disappointed in this one. I found Anna and Grace unbelievable characters and I didn't really care about their childhood secrets. The people around them were a bit two dimensional, and I felt I knew little about them hi
Thank you to netgalley and random house for an advance copy of this book
This is a decent, friendship / drama about 2 childhood friends, Grace and Anna, one of whom moves back to her hometown, with her little girl, whilst her husband continues to work in Australia.
She's keen to reignite her childhood friendship but finds this very difficult as Anna seems 'locked' into a clique with 3 other woman and it seems a strange friendship. Then she disappears.

The story then follows the investigation into what has happened and uncovers; jealousy, manipulation, friendship and cover ups. It's quite a slow read and at one point I almost gave up, but, it's a decent one if you stick with it.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to preview.
The Whispers is yet another cracker from Heidi Perks. With a gripping narrative full of everything needed for a compulsively readable thriller - twists, turns, secrets, lies, drama and infectious characters, this is a book for those who are looking for a riveting but quick, easy and thoroughly entertaining thrill ride. Excellent.
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy. This was another easy read from Heidi Parks. The story documents resentments and jealousy in two sets of relationships amongst women. Five women go out for the night and one disappears. What happened to Anna who vanished and why? The story expands on lies and deceit. It kept my interest going but I did guess the ending.