Cover Image: When a Dragon Comes to Stay

When a Dragon Comes to Stay

The dragon who came to stay taught us how to be nice to each other and how to listen to a parent because "That's just how dragons are!"
This is a low key set of lessons in positive behaviors for children of ALL aged and is beautifully but simply illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw.
I requested and received a free temporary ebook from American Psychological Association/Magination Press via NetGalley. Thank you!
"Dragon" demonstrates how to have good manners, according to the cover description, and the entire book is written in rhyme.  The dragon's actions are imagined first, then evaluated to see whether they are positive or negative.  Apparently, the answer is dragons just aren't [bad] "that way!"

The story is nice, yet predictable.  Saved, in my opinion, by the appealing illustrations with eye-catching colors, settings & movement, with sweet small toys scattered throughout.  The characters; two non-white children, may be considered adopted brother and (slightly older) sister.

Only one thing gives me a slight pause.  The refrain; "Why, no!  Dragons don't do that!"  It's a regional habit to begin a non-question sentence with the word "why;" my Mom used to do it.  The drawback is obvious; why isn't that sentence a question?

Children not used to little quirks like this could be confused or become resistant because they may feel it's wrong.  My usual explanation was "English is messy; it's a combination of many languages, then stirred well."

I think this phrase is important enough to mention before purchase, but it can also create a good chance to talk about language, how it differs in some areas, and how it changes.  If I were the publisher, I would remove the "why" for clarity, and save more complex language lessons for older children.

I enjoyed this bright book, and recommend it as a fun rhyming "be like a dragon" story.

4/5  Stars

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the free preview of this ebook!

#WhenaDragonComestoStay #NetGalley
Such a sweet book. I like the relatable gentle humour. A lovely books for toddlers and under fives. I wish I’d had this in our collection when my own kids were little.
What a sweet book using a dragon to teach manners. The only thing I deducted a star for was classifying an overtired or sad dragons behavior as bad. Since the American Psychological Association was the publisher I was a little shocked to see that
My granddaughter and I enjoyed this story about siblings who were visited by a dragon. Dragon modeled good habits and behaviour in a few different settings. I kept thinking that my granddaughter would answer yes to the questions asked, if I wasn't sitting with her.😀 They ate, played and even got ready for bed together. We talked a lot about what dragon did and what she should do and how she could be like dragon. We loved the illustrations, they were large, colourful and fun. There was action and emotion shown in the faces in the simple images. This was a cute story that I can see being read over and over whenever a reminder of appropriate behaviour is needed without it seeming like a lecture or reprimand. A fun story that I recommend for family libraries.
This book shows a dragon coming to the house of two children.  She follows all the rules.  She doesn’t argue or complain.  She plays fair and eats politely.  She even enjoys bedtime stories and a bath.  It is an opportunity for children to recognize inappropriate behavior and to model their behavior after the correct response.  The illustrations are fun and colorful.

I received an ARC from Magination Press through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do so.
This book is very reminiscent of the Dinosaur books from Jane Yolen (How do Dinosaurs say Goodnight, etc).  This dragon goes through the day with perfect manners.  She lets others go first, helps clean up etc.  The book has a great rhyming pattern and cadence.  This will make it fun to read and to listen to at storytime.
Nice book about a very polite imaginary dragon who somehow always does the right things. Fast read and I think kids will enjoy it.
I absolutely adore this book!
Everyone assumes that dragons are wild, impolite creatures but this book shows us quite the opposite! It seems that dragons have better bedside and table manners than most toddlers! Shocking! It's written in a fun, playful way that is a thrill to read for toddlers and is a perfect book to reinforce good behaviors-after all, if a dragon could eat politely, who are you!

This book is sure to be a favorite with little dragons!
A lovely, but lengthy bedtime story that helps children behave their best throughout the day, using a loveable dragon as a model. With cute illustrations and lyrical rhymes, this book is fun to read for adults and children!
What a fantastic book to help with children’s emotions and feelings. A clever way of illustrating and middling positive behaviour snd showing what negative behaviour can look like. I read this book to my class and we had some great discussions from the story.
Thanks NetGalley for the early copy! My toddler really enjoyed this book. I love reading books that rhyme and have a good message at its core. It was an easy fun read that my toddler caught onto the "Why, no! Dragons don't do that!" page quickly. It felt very interactive and engaging for us. Cute, enjoyable read for both of us!
When a Dragon Comes to Stay is such a precious read! My 4 and 2 yr old boys love dragons, and certainly could use a teachable story veiled with dragon cuteness. This tale shows little readers the types of behaviour that is no fun for everyone at play dates and with siblings then models the correct behaviour. This is definitely one for the shelves! My boys enjoyed the story and dragon, and I enjoyed reading aloud the sweet rhymes and morals.

Thank you NetGalley and Magination Press for an ecopy of this book in exchange for my honest review!
This is a lovely book that kids ( and adults ) will love.  It is written in rhyme and displays delightful illustrations starring an adorable little dragon who has impeccable behaviour and manners.  Mostly dragons are portrayed as fearsome and scary but this little darling is refined and  very loveable.

The book highlights: sharing, being polite, and using table manners which are wonderful attributes to teach to little ones.  The illustrations are colourful and sweet and the positive message is that dragons do make wonderful houseguests so come on in.  I highly recommend this book.
This was a cute little book about a dragon and manners. The illustrations were cute and I thought it was well done. I know my son would love this book ❤️
This is such a fun book, perfect for dragon lovers and those who enjoy the "How Do Dinosaurs" books.
The kids really enjoyed the story and illustrations and are eagar to read it agin.
Thanks to Magination Press and NetGalley for the advance copy.
**ARC copy provided by Netgalley for honest review**

"When a Dragon Comes to Stay" by Caryl Hart was a cute picture book about manners. Using a "dragon" as an example, it covers lessons like sharing, attitude, and manners when eating in a fun rhyming text. The illustrations were very sweet as well. This is one I wouldn't mind to have in my collection.
Loved every thing about this book. Love the rhyming style and the cute easy to understand message the book trues to convey. Perfect for ay early education classroom
Cute little story with short, rhyming verses, that appeals to younger children.
 Cute illustrations too - great book
Snappy dialog and adorable illustrations make this a perfect story book for your little ones. For bedtime or just calm down time, children will want to hear it again and again. A winner!