Cover Image: Hang the Moon

Hang the Moon

When starting this I was in some sort of a reading slump, but this book completely pulled me out of that reading slump. The writing was beautiful, the characters were very well developed. I am kinda obsessed with this book.
Romance: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5

Romance
The romance in this book was amazing. I was a fan of how it had LGBTQIA+ rep with multiple characters being part of that community. This book is a own voices queer book and I loved that. I enjoyed that Annie was bi, but she didn’t end up with a woman. I enjoyed this because in media when a character is bi they end up with a woman because that is how bi is portrayed in a lot of media (not in all) and I really liked seeing that, as I am bi myself.

Writing
The writing was phenomenal. The written kept me intrigued the whole time. It makes me really want to read other books by this author. I am really excited that there is going to be a companion novel following Margot.

Characters
The characters were really relatable. They just made you connect to them. Which is something I love when reading. The characters were just amazing.

Conclusion
I love this book. My rating is 4.5/5. It is really good and I don’t really have any complaints.
Hang the Moon is the second book in the Written in the Stars series, and I enjoyed both books! This was a cute story, but I had a little more fun with the first one.

I like the characters in these books as a group, but Annie is the main character in this one, and she irritated me after a while. Sometimes it felt like she was being unnecessarily dramatic for no reason, and I don't understand why she was so dead set on doing something she didn't want to do (you'll see it when you read it). Towards the end, she was being more immature and at times she was cruel.

That being said, these books are still really cute, and I liked it overall. I'm looking forward to reading Margot's book next.
I did not realize how much I needed Brendon's story! For a man who is a hopeless romantic and dreams for life to be just like the movies, this man truly found his match in every way. Annie helped him widen his perspective on love and how people can love each other to the fullest. I loved how the idea that everyone needs to be loved in their own way was such a big part of their story because I think that is such a big part of relationships. There is nothing I didn't love about this book: their fast paced relationship, the failed grand gestures imitating movie scenes, how genuine their love was for each other and their banter and chemistry. Alexandria Bellefleur has become an autobuy author for me and I can't wait to see what she does next.
Hang the Moon is a delightful second book in the Written in the Stars series. Both books are adorable, closed-door romances with interesting and relatable characters (other than everyone seems to be wealthy enough where money doesn't matter in a fairly expensive city- but, fiction). Although a stand-alone book, you would get more out of this book if you read the first before this one. Perfect for someone looking for a beachy-romance read about a diverse cast of characters and sexual orientations and gender norms.

I really enjoy book series where the next book takes a secondary character from the previous and gives them their own story, especially when the MCs from the previous book are in the background of the story.

Make sure your TBR pile has some room this upcoming February as book #3 is on it's way! Margot gets her own book!

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
After reading and loving Written in the Stars, I was highly anticipating Breden Lowell’s happy ending. He was such a wonderful and sweet side character in the first book. Let me tell you, this book did not disappoint one bit. This book wasn’t trying to be too complicated and I loved that. This story focused on the MCs breaking down barriers, grow themselves, and learn to love.

Hang the Moon is a perfect example of how you don’t need to have a complex plot or a dramatic conflict to make a romance. I love when books stray from romance norms and show you it still works. Bellefleur didn’t give me an unnecessary conflict or break up at the end, she didn’t give me a complex side plot to follow. Some reviews mentioned how this book is, “no plot, just vibes” and I totally agree.

Brendon Lowell is such a sweetheart. I loved Annie too, but Breden just stole the show. He was so loving and sweet. And he made everything sound sexy. (He is great at sexting btw 😏) He calls Annie a potato chip at one point and he even makes that sound sexy. He is such a hopeless romantic who just wants to spread love and make the others around him happy and I loved that. I loved how he used romcoms to show Annie how to love, it gave me a movie version of Bromance Bookclub vibes. I love seeing heroes who believe in romance, especially ones who are paired with heroines who don't believe in romance. Pining heroes are the best too. Brendon was both. I love the "old crushes die hard" kinda trope. When characters get to be with the person they have loved and pined after for years, I get so happy. Getting to read Brendon secretly pine and love and then get Annie's POV where she's admiring him was so great to read.

Bellelfeur is so good at writing grumpy women. In the first book she wrote Darcy so perfectly and in Hang the Moon, she graced us with the wonderful character of Annie. She is used to hopping from place to place, she doesn't believe in romance, and she doesn't want to fall in love. Watching her slowly fall in love was beautiful. It is very easy to write cynical characters that are annoying but Bellefleur writes them perfectly and I find her grumpy women to be relatable and charming.

I loved getting to explore Seattle through the characters' eyes. Very rarely do you see an author integrate the beauty of the setting the book takes place into the story so wonderfully. This book made me want to hop onto a plane to go and explore Seattle. Books are often said to have transformative qualities, whisking us away to new worlds and lives. Hang the Moon is a testament to that.

This book was amazing. If you haven’t read this book yet, please do. You will not regret it.

If that still hasn’t convinced you....it has the “only one bed trope” 😏😏

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 stars | 🌶🌶/ 5 steam

Thank you to NetGalley, Avon, and Alexandria Bellefleur for an eARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
After reading Written in the Stars, I couldn’t wait to read the next book in the series, Hang the Moon. I loved Brendon’s character in the first book, a rom-com loving man looking for his person. When his long-time crush and his sister’s best friend, Annie, comes into town he sets his sights on showing her all Seattle has to offer, himself included.

I wish I could say I loved it as much as the first book, but I did not. It was soooooo slow, and I really dislike the whole “miscommunication” trope where if they would just be honest with one another, they could finally be together. Just talk to each other already?! I found myself skimming through parts of internal dialogue on what Annie or Brendon should do next.

I loved getting updates on Darcy and Elle as well as the nods to my favorite romcom movies.

Is it cute? Yes. Is it a rom-com I’d recommend? No.

Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books for the ALC. Hang the Moon is out now!
Hang the Moon the follow up to Written in the Stars is a delightful summer read! I can't wait to see what Bellefleur has in store for our characters in book three.
This was hilarious. Loved Annie and Brendon, there were so many funny stories from them together. I’ll always pee before getting on a Ferris wheel after reading this book. Absolutely adorable, and I love good bi representation.

Can’t wait for Margot’s story!
“He looks at you like you hung the moon.”

Annie, Darcy’s best friend from childhood, comes to visit Seattle on a whim before moving to London. Darcy and Elle are on vacation, so Darcy sends her brother Brenden to let Annie in her house. Even though they know each other, it’s been some time since they’ve seen each other, so it’s like it’s brand new.

Annie is afraid to be loved. Brenden has a lot of love to give, and he’s had no one to give it to. They will both have to open up to each other and move out of their comfort zones.

As a follow up to one of my favorite romances, Hang the Moon did not get lost in Written in the Stars’ shadow. (It is not entirely a sequel, more of a spin-off, and I would totally recommend reading the first book before getting into this one.) I was a bit concerned I wouldn’t love it as much, but I definitely did! Hang the Moon was just as lovable, relatable, and sexy as the first. I also listened to this one on audio, and um, *blush.*

Hang the Moon was sweet and had me feeling all kinds of emotions. I may have shed a tear or two. I can’t wait to read about Margot’s story next year! (Plus, I kind of love Seattle now?)

Thank you to Net Galley, Avon, and Alexandria Bellefleur for this advanced review copy!
Oh my goodness my heart. This book was so beyond precious and left me absolutely swooning. Brendon is one of those love interests you can't help but fall in love with and root for. It's friends to lovers at it's finest.

This is a very character driven story where the focus is spent more on personal growth than external plot. But the author did a fantastic job of keeping the pace of the book moving regardless. Both of the characters are so well developed and gripping that I was immediately invested in their HEA.

And the way they move through and overcome their emotional barriers was beautifully executed. I think there are a lot of people out there who will be able to relate to the feeling of "romance being dead" and dating being overrated and frustrating. The themes in this book are just so relevant.

On top that, this adorable rom com has all the best tropes! Best friends brother, there's only one bed, friends to lovers/second chance, mutual pining, etc. If you love rom-coms this book is for you.

But one of my favorite things about this book was how the romance wrapped up. Annie is really unsure of where she sees her future heading and love definitely does not fix all in here. She does a lot of her own person growth outside of her relationship with Brendon which I loved seeing.

Overall this romance had everything I was looking for. It's swoony and adorable with a sexy edge (Brendon might seem sweat but he can definitely throw down with the dirty talk!). There's amazing banter, loads of chemistry between the main characters, and wonderful nods to rom-coms we all know and love. I'm already SO excited for Margot's story next year!!

This review is live on Goodreads and will be posted to my blog on 6/12 @ 9am!
HANG THE MOON stars Annie, who's visiting Seattle on a surprise trip to see her best friend before moving to London, and Brendon, her friend's brother.

I remember really enjoying WRITTEN IN THE STARS, the first romance in this series, and was excited to get to know Annie more. I'm into how this author makes me feel like I'm in a place, and describes characters' feelings in such detail.

So I was surprised when it took me weeks to read HANG THE MOON (usually, a contemporary romance, we're looking at 1-3 days, max. a week if it's a busy one IRL). As the synopsis describes, Annie is just in town for a few weeks but Brendon challenges himself to prove that romance is real in the time they've got together.

I think what didn't work for me is the instalove, coupled with a main character who hasn't been in a relationship before (but has deep romantic ideals) yet is urging a cross-country move. I really felt for Annie, in not wanting to make such a big decision after just a few weeks of getting to know a new place and beginning a new relationship. It didn't really feel like Brendon got that, nor did it feel like he understood her reticence to jump in, feet first. Not to be too much of a realist here, but I think it's incredibly easy to see romantic relationships with rose-colored glasses if you've never been in one. (I'm also someone who fairly easily falls for people, then needs to take a step back and suss out what's hormones/immediate attraction and what's a genuine connection, so yeah -- I super get Annie not being ready to uproot her life after two weeks.)

It's possible I missed it, but I don't remember Brendon ever offering to move to London WITH Annie to pursue their relationship. While I understand he's got a company in Seattle, remote work often is a real possibility these days -- or he could at least pursue whether that'd be possible in his situation. Instead it felt like there was an expectation for Annie to come to Seattle, not for Brendon to make any changes in his plans for her. I'd also have appreciated if there were real discussion as to how they'd manage it if she moved to Seattle, based her circle on people who were all his friends too, then they broke up. Where does that leave them, her especially?

Suffice it to say, I didn't love this one like I wanted to. But, I'm still a fan of the author, and have high hopes for the third in the series (Margot's book!).
I loved this! It is so, so rare when I love every character, the setting, the dialogue, the build up. This book has it all! And I really, really love that this book includes a lesbian in couple! Amen!
Could a romance novel be any more perfect and swoony? I think not. I adored this book. I loved the setting (author nailed Seattle to a T). I loved the romantic progression of the couple. I loved the friends and found family element. I cannot wait for the next book in this series.
[All thoughts are my own] After a recent reread of "Written in the Stars" I was more than ready to jump back into this world. "Hang the Moon" felt like checking in on old friends. The Annie and Brendan-led romance was a lot of fun to explore. Their relationship felt authentic, as did the conflict that arose.

Annie and Darcy's initial friendship struggles and resolution also felt real and authentic. I'm sure many people, myself included, can relate to feeling neglected when a close friend enters a new relationship.

"Hang the Moon" can absolutely be read on it's own (but you're missing out if you haven't read "Written in the Stars" yet). Annie, Brendan, and the rest of the cast are a delight. I love this little found family!
I want to start this off by saying I read this book in two days and my face literally hurts from smiling so much. It's genuinely adorable, sweet, and funny romance that I just could not get enough of.

I was so excited to read this follow-up to Written in the Stars, one of my favorite reads so far this year, and it did not disappoint at all. Like the first book, this book had several moments where I had to put it down because I was laughing too much to keep paying attention to the words. Bellefleur's humor is witty and hilarious and I just can't get enough of it.

The conflict in the book is believable and I loved the way the dates were stated at the beginnings of new sections to really draw you into the "race against the clock" feel. It makes you worry along with Brendon and Darcy that they aren't going to convince Annie to stay in time.

It's always so heartwarming to see two people with completely different ideas of romance coming together and showing each other what they feel.

The humor and charm of the first book is all still here without feeling too similar. The plot and characters stand out on their own, and I appreciated getting to know more about characters we met in the first book.

Another thing Bellefleur is excellent at is building sexual tension in a way that feels realistic and funny. The subtle (or not so subtle) glances and actions of the characters really clue you in to what they are feeling.

Overall this was another five star read for me, charming, funny, and ridiculously sweet.

My tiktoks about the book: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeETfULY/
2.5

I am so sad that this did not work out for me as I had hoped. I loved Written In The Stars so I was highly anticipating for this book and it was a major letdown.

The main couple, Brendan and Annie. I did not find them compatible at all and didn't feel the connection that we as readers are supposed to feel to get to HEAs. From to start to finish, I struggled to find something likable between them so I could root for them but unfortunately, that did not happen. I think because of this, I felt like it made the entire book boring and it dragged, to the point where.I wanted to DNF.
This was a super cute book. I really loved Brendon finally getting his happily ever after that he searched for,.for so long.

My only thing I wished for more of was a deeper dig into Annie and her emotional distance she held herself at, even with Darcy.
I was so excited to read this one after reading the first book in the series, Written in the Stars. This author is now on my must-read list! I enjoyed how the author made the male lead the hopeless romantic; you don’t always see that in a rom-com! The character’s personalities were well developed and easy to like. The inevitable conflict in the book was age appropriate and handled in a realistic way. Such a cute one that I would recommend to any romance fan.

🥰really liked \\ 🔥 descriptive scenes
🤟best friend’s brother, pop culture references, swoony
📚Rachel Lynn Solomon
🎶“Lovefool,” The Cardigans
📺Sleepless in Seattle
Return to Seattle, where Annie tries to surprise her best friend Darcey for a visit.  While the visit does not start out as planned, Annie reconnects with Darcey's brother Brendon.  He sets himself on a mission to show Annie romance from the movies and help her overcome objections to romance and love.  I enjoyed reading more of Darcey and Elle's story too.

Alexandria writes a story with loveable and easy to connect to characters.  I couldn't stop thinking about them and how their story would play out. I also loved the details of Seattle and the attractions such as Pike's Market. It felt as I was there walking through the scenes with Annie and makes me want to go visit Seattle!

Thank you NetGalley and Avon and Harper Voyage for an advanced copy! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
When I read Written in the Stars, I was hoping that Annie would get her own book so I was stoked to learn that Hang the Moon would be her story! It didn’t disappoint either.

I really enjoyed getting to know Annie. She is such a lovable character. I also enjoyed getting to know Brendon as well. They had such good chemistry together and I was rooting for them to get their happily ever after together.

Recreating dates from Brendon’s favorite rom coms made my romantic comedy moving loving heart so happy. That is my favorite kind of movie to watch and I loved seeing it play out in this book.

I also enjoyed revising with Elle and Darcy. Elle is just as cute as ever and I’m so happy to see that she is happy with Darcy. I know Darcy wanted Annie to be happy but there were times where I felt like she was too harsh and pushy with Annie.

I can’t wait to read Margot’s story when it comes out next year!