Cover Image: Wait For It

Wait For It

In my eyes Jenn Mckinlay does no wrong. She's an auto-buy author of mine. I stayed up way past my bedtime and devoured this book in one day. I love a Gump vs sunshine trope. Especially when you have a grumpy, troubled wealthy man and a ball of fire, maybe a little reckless artist. Annabella and Nick's relationship was everything I wanted it to be. Plenty of banter, tension, and some added drama. I was a fan of it all.
A pretty fantastic read by Ms. Jenn McKinlay. I highly recommend this book. This is a fun light hearted romance.
There's really nothing I love more than a grumpy, rich, hero who gets absolutely obliterated by love for the quirky girl who storms into his life. Is it my early introduction to Professor Higgins? Probably.

Wait For It nails this trope. I devoured this book in one sitting.
Thanks to Berkley for the arc of this title!

One sentence review: I couldn't get enough of this fun romance that combines a feisty graphic designer with a reclusive former building developer who is recovering from a stroke.⁣
⁣
This book centers around Annabelle Martin, a graphic designer, who moves to Phoenix for a new job. Her friends find her a guest house to rent. Her landlord, Nick Daire, is a recluse who communicates through terse notes left on her door. And so the fun begins!⁣
My thoughts:⁣
⁣
- I loved this opposites attract romance. Annabelle and Nick both have such great stories.⁣
- I really like how the author handled Nick's story and his recovery, both physically and mentally, from his stroke.⁣
- I liked the eco slant of the story. It was an interesting element that really lent to the feel of the story.⁣
⁣
If you are looking for a quick read romance with likable characters that will have you rooting for them right from the start - Wait For It would be a fantastic choice.
I was really excited for this one but I just could not do it. I dnf'd it at around 50%. It was super full of clichés. The main character was late to EVERYTHING. I get that it's a personality trait but it was ridiculous and so freaking annoying. I did like the notes sent back and forth between the two MC's but that was about it. I hated the sub plots, I hated the stereotypes. Overall this one was not a good fit for me.
This was a rely average read. While I enjoyed the bubbly-rude trope (it's a really trope but a diff name maybe?), it was cliche and predictable.  The book discussed some heavy topics like mental health and coming to accept your shortcomings. Annabelle is really passionate about her work, her work-life ethic, her morals were fun to read about. Her interactions with Nick were also fun.

One thing that seemed word to me was Nick's quick change of mind for getting therapy. The story was wrapped up way too quickly, the ending seemed rushed.
3.5 ⭐️

Pretty cute, standard, contemporary romance about a professional two-time divorcee and a silent, broody rich guy with a traumatic past. It takes a bit for things to get going between the two of them and there’s a lot of story happening outside of the romance that while decent, was a bit slow paced for my personal preference. I took a few weeks off from reading it around 60-65% but when I finally returned to it, I did finish it in one sit. It was cute, but not anything super unique. Just a feel good book that is among my likes, not loves.
This was a cute and entertaining read. Both characters had there own issues that they needed to come to terms with and work on. Watching Nick go from the grumpy landlord to this amazing man with the heart of gold was so endearing. Loved it and highly recommend picking this up.
I really enjoyed this book but it seems like i didnt enjoy it as much as others who have already reviewed. I cant wait for this to come out though and more people to read it!
I liked it. However, I didn’t love it. I think this had some great potential to be a favorite.

Anabelle starts over in a new city near her close friend after two failed marriages before the age of 30. She moves into the guest house of this recluse (hottest man alive) who is struggling with PTSD and some other medical issues. You can guess where the storyline goes. There were some cute parts that I wish continued like their “love notes”.  The story branches out into multiple topics and smaller storylines that I think it took away from the overall romance of the story. Not to mention Nick was very much dislike able main character.

I liked Annabelle in her work environment life, except for the fact she was literally always running late. Like how are you not setting your alarm?! But besides that she had some negative and hard things to deal with while navigating her new job and I think she handled them very respectfully and polished. If a coworker called me a bitch in an elevator and continually was sabotaging me I don’t think I’d have handled it with as much class as her. That being said I hated Carson. I wrote while reading EW EW EWWW. Carson is a disgusting POS how has nobody seen this yet or done anything.

For steam this rated kind of low. While there are some steamy scenes it just felt lack luster. Plus they don’t actually meet until halfway through the book! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Either way it was still a fun read and I really enjoyed chatting with everyone.
I did not enjoy this book. I found the characters very unlikable, especially for a rom com and found that their decisions throughout the book did not make sense to me. I will not be reviewing this on other platforms.
This book was such an easy read; I adored the characters, the environments and the ridiculous but realistic shenanigans,

The only downfall is that it is romance, and I barely show any until the last 1/3 of the book when they met face to face. However, while you'd think that and a weird repeat of an early problem would have really hit my rating of it, it had a certain charm that didn't quit!
I love a good romance but this one fell a little flat for me. Annabelle accepts a job offer from her best friend and moves to Phoenix from Boston to avoid an awkward proposal from her ex-husband.

This book had a lot of cliches that was hard for me to look past. The grumpy millionaire love interest with mommy & daddy issues, the perfect best friend, the threatening man at work, the sister who also just so happens to find love with someone in the same circle, etc.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but probably won’t be one that sticks out in my memory.

Spoiler Warning: also the ending was too perfect and unrealistic which made me mad for some reason.
I think the characterization in the book was everything. I adored following Annabelle in her personal life as well as in her work environment, and I thought that she was overall just a likable character. She was truly a go getter throughout the book and I thought it was fun to read from the perspective of someone who just simply went for it. I loved Jackson and Lexi, and would've loved to see more from them. I think this is more of a selfish request on my part than anything that actually took away from the novel haha, I just thought they were so fun!! Characters that weren't as fun for me were probably the exes, I can see why the author included them but a lot of times I found that they just got on my nerves if anything. Nick also at times was just frustrating to deal with. I think it was because Annabelle was seemingly the polar opposite and had everything together and then she was almost putting in double the effort to try to pull things from Nick that he should been willing to give in the first place. I understand this from a character arc and development perspective, but I just think I loved Annabelle so much that I wanted nothing but the best for her and at times I didn't know if Nick was or was ever even interested in being his best. I wanted a little bit more from the end, but overall I truly enjoyed this book. I thought it was a story that made you feel all of the emotions and characters that were simultaneously lovable and also had the ability to get under your skin. I think Jenn McKinlay is totally an author to look out for, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first book from her.
Short Review:Funny, sexy, PERFECT!! This one had me laughing out loud, swooning, and loving it all the way through.

"The neat script on the front read <i>Tenant</i>. As a graphic designer who had a special place in my heart for fonts and the feelings they could evoke, like the global loathing for Comic Sans, I tended to look at people's handwriting with the same critical eye. Mr. Daire's handwriting was very square, very neat, and almost painfully precise."

Long Review:What can I say? I loved everything about this book. The romance, the comedy, the characters, and especially the humanity. Annabelle and Nick are the couple you want to chill with on the weekends. I loved getting to know them, laughing with them, crying with them, and cheering them on.

You see, fun loving Annabelle needs a fresh start. She's had a bit of ex trouble lately so she takes her best friend up on a new job offer with her company. Nick, needs a fresh start too. He needs to recover and he's given in to his curmudgeon tendencies a little too much. He has his reasons, but he needs someone to help push him...enter Annabelle who will be renting his guest house for a few months.

Rules are laid out. Notes are taped to front doors. Grounds are set. But rules are meant to be broken.....

Get this one on your must read list! It's a perfect Summer rom com.
I have to admit! The cover did it for me but the book ultimately fell flat.

I was expecting a PWMOV vibe but really didn't get that. The relationship moved incredibly quick, and not in a cute insta-love way, more like an oh.... that was fast way.

It reminded me a lot of The Hating Game, which I'm not a fan of, so yeah I didn't enjoy this one as much unfortunately and don't have much to say!
First up, thank you to the Berkley Publishing Group for the gifted eARC in exchange for an honest review!

Okay here's the thing, this book was just not for me. The synopsis had me really intrigued, and I was so excited to dive in, but the story fell flat. I just couldn't get into the story because I absolutely hated the male love interest. I get that at the beginning of the story he's meant to be a jerk, but some of the things he said were just...yikes!! And this is coming from someone who loves to read sunshine/grump KU romances. It took me so long to get through this because it was just not for me.

HOWEVER, just because it didn't work out for me doesn't mean it won't work out for you!
A great book with a really good premise. This book had so much more depth than I was expecting/anticipating. I love the complete change in our main character once she actually meets her landlord. I enjoyed watching both characters grown and change and their relationship form. I look forward to reading more from Jenn Mckinlay in the future.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review.
✦Review: WAIT FOR IT by Jenn McKinlay https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-bQX
Publication Date: August 10, 2021
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated 5 Stars

I loved this romance. A quick summer read that had it all for me. Annabelle was so easy to like, with her quirky attitude, and moxie. Surprisingly, Nick was also easy to like despite his grumpy reclusive behavior.   Enough of his internal struggles were clear, that I couldn’t help but hope for him. (I love the notes!) They were a great couple, managing to help each other recognize issues from their pasts while giving hope for their futures.

The storyline around them was intriguing as well. I enjoyed watching Annabelle maneuver around the jealous misogynistic jerk in the office with nothing more than her professionalism and talent. Nick’s part of the tale was deeper and had many layers, mostly showing how he fought his deep desire for love and friendship. Thankfully the people around him did their best to yank him out of that abys with Annabelle’s help. I love when a story is full of friends, camaraderie, and banter. That always pulls me in when done well…and this was done well. The story dipped into some heavy issues that made me tear up a few times, but overall, it made me smile.

*Review copy provided by Penguin in exchange for an honest review.

~*~*~*~

Kindle https://amzn.to/2VGVvAQ
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗹𝗼𝘁
Annabelle is impulsive, talented, and willing to take chances and, at 28, she’s twice divorced and just turned down her second ex-husband’s proposal.

-She’s offered a great job to lead a creative design team at a firm owned by her married college friends and, thinking a change of scenery would do her good, leaves Boston for Phoenix, Arizona.

- Annabelle moves into the guest cottage on the property of a reclusive and grouchy self-made millionaire, Nick. The rental comes with a ridiculous amount of strict tenant rules, which she takes in stride.

-Nick suffered a stroke several months ago, has shut off the world, and lives in seclusion.

-Annabelle likes her new colleagues and her team except for one who was bypassed for promotion, resents Annabelle and will do almost anything to sabotage her success

𝗜 𝗧𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁
-This enemies-to-lovers, opposites attract, slow-burn romance is a perfect book to pick up for that end-of-summer read.

- I was so pleased that this story takes place in Arizona, which was a refreshing change from the typical romance novel location.

-Annabelle is a great character, and I loved that she could be persuasive, work deals, and lead her team without having to “take the bull by the horns” but by being good at what she does—which is a positive portrayal of the stereotypical “flighty” artist trope.

-Nick was Fitzwilliam Darcy-level grumpy and watching him move forward from his physical pain to metaphorically opening the curtains to let the sun in as much fun.

-The steam needle in the aNeedleinMyBookstack steam-o-meter is in the middle for this romance.

Thank you to @berkleypub, @berittalksbooks @dg_reads for the eARC and hosting this #BerkleyBuddyRead. Opinions are mine.