Cover Image: The Last Goodbye

The Last Goodbye

I don't know what it is but this year I'm really loving stories about people who've lost their SOs and them eventually moving on. These journeys! Float Plan being the other book so far. It's something I never want to think about, me or my husband dying, but it is a part of life and it does happen. And these kinds of books are so tragic but also uplifting and I very much enjoyed Anna's story. Wonderful debut! The narrator was also excellent.
It has been 3 years since Anna’s husband tragically died and she can’t seem to move on. After a rough New Year’s Eve, she decides to call his phone to hear his voice one more time through his voicemail. Instead, someone answers. It turns out that after the phone bill not being paid, they finally recycled the number and gave it to someone new. The man who answers, Brody, becomes a safe haven for Anna. Together they are able to talk through their individual griefs, coping with loss, and taking small steps to re-enter the world again.

This is a beautifully written story centered on loss and how other people expect you to cope with it. Anna, for instance, has her mother and friend encouraging her to try new things and possibly date, whereas her mother-in-law implies Anna is being disloyal when she finally starts to live again. Everyone handles grief differently and there is no perfect amount of time for how long it takes to cope; Fiona Lucas portrayed this extremely well.

While I wasn’t particularly looking for a sad read, this story enraptured me from the start. Despite the sensitive material, the book was pretty uplifting and inspiring. Brody and Anna found each other when they both desperately needed someone who truly understood what they were going for and were both able to help each other climb out of the holes they have been living in. Both of their stories will tug at your heart.

I do have to also add that this is a great one to check out on audio—the narration was so well-done and it really brought the story to life.

Please go buy this book when it’s out in the US on June 8th!!

TW: death of spouse, death of child, depression, panic attacks, agoraphobia, anxiety, grief

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this arc!
The Last Goodbye is a well written story about coming to terms with different types of grief and moving on with life afterwards. Our main character Anna lost her husband Spencer three years ago and is still struggling. After having a really hard night she calls Spencer's phone to hear his voicemail greeting one last time... and someone answers. She soon begins a friendship with a man named Brody who listens to her vent and understands her like no one else in her life can.

I loved all of the characters, but I did feel Brody was a bit underdeveloped as a character. I wanted to know more! Fiona Lucas did a great job exploring grief while not letting the book become overly serious.

I switched back and forth between the kindle version and the audiobook while reading. The narrator did an excellent job bringing the story to life.

Thank you Netgalley and Harper Audio for allowing me access to this advanced reader/listener copy!
This was a beautifully written story of grief and learning how to moving forward.
Losing someone you love can feel like being asked to live without your heart in your chest, and I felt this with Anna. I loved Anna and Brody's relationship. They were so good for each other, right from the beginning.
The meet cute is so adorable- and realistic! I could totally see this happening. I was also very happy with the anxiety representation.

Everything about this story warms my heart- Definitely looking forward to more from this author!
3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed the premise of this book. Anna loses the love of her life, Spencer, and then one night randomly calls his cell phone to hear his voice. The number is reassigned so she gets a different person and then they start talking. That person has also endured a big loss so they connect through that and end up chatting without meeting each other for a long time.

The story was deep and meaningful and the ache of loss was well presented. I really enjoyed the narration as well.

with gratitude to netgalley and Harper Audio for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was a lot sadder than I was expecting it to be. I knew it was about Anna struggling to get over the death of her husband, but I assumed that things would get lighter when she connected to Brody. I started this and stopped this so many times - I wasn’t a fan of the audiobook narrator. If you want a sad book, read this. It was good but sad.

Thanks to @NetGalley, William Morrow and Custom House, and HarperAudio for my ARC!
Such a sweet, heartfelt book. I loved every minute I spent with Anna and Brody, even though some of it was heart-wrenching and difficult.
If you've ever experienced loss of any kind, you realize how much it can break you and how grief affects different people in completely different ways. Anna and Brody are both well acquainted with loss and the solace they find in talking with each other is really beautiful.
There were parts of this story that made me angry, because I didn't think that a particular character was handling things the way I thought they should. Yet when I stopped to think about it, each journey was just right for that character. When the ending arrived I felt very satisfied with how each storyline concluded.
I partially listened to the audio book and partially read a print copy. The narrator is fantastic and her way of communicating the voices of each character really made me connect with them in a deeper way.
Highly recommended if you like emotional romantic tales.
Anna's husband died tragically almost 3 years ago and she is still struggling with his loss.  On New Year's Eve, she calls his old phone number and a man picks up.  Anna proceeds to connect with her new friend as she navigates her friendship with Gabby, her standing with her mother-in-law, Gayle, and finding her way back to the world of the living.  This story provides a strong glimpse into Anna's life and relationships.  Anna begins to rely on her calls with her mysterious man, Brody.  They are both dealing with loss and find ways to help each other through their struggles.  It's worth a listen.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher, Harper Audio, for providing me with an eARL in exchange for my honest review.
This is a great #fiction read that will help restore your faith in humanity. It’s about finding your way through the hardest of times & learning to re-open your heart and begin building a new future for yourself when the life you were living is unexpectedly, irreversibly changed. It’s sweet, caring, patience and understanding that helps those who mourn recover from their isolating sadness. No one wants to be told how to behave, how to mourn, or how to “get over it.”

Totally worth putting on the TBR. #Poignant new novel #TheLastGoodbye by #FionaLucas and #audiobook #narrated by #AntoniaBeamish (who delivers a wonderfully diverse and very believable cast of characters!!) is expected to be published June 8, 2021, just in time for #beach #reading #vacations. Thank you to #Netgalley, #HarperAudio, and Fiona Lucas for allowing me to review the audio of The Last Goodbye in exchange for my honest opinion.
This is not a happy book. It is about grief and loss. But it's also about healing. I loved this one. I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was lovely.
Anna tragically lost her husband and soulmate nearly 3 years ago. Her friends and family are desperate for her to move forward, but that just doesn’t seem possible for Anna. She’s going through the motions and drowning in the pointlessness of life without her love. On New Years Eve, feeling especially lost and alone, Anna calls her husband’s cell phone, just to hear his voicemail, but instead hears another voice down the line. Her husband’s number has been reassigned to a man named Brody. Anna comes to find comfort and freedom in baring her ugliest thoughts to this stranger. As the conversations continue with more frequency, Brody becomes a bit of a lifeline. He’s someone who has also experienced loss and therefore understands all the ways Anna feels in a way others in her life simply cannot. This story was so lovely. Usually when I get to the end of a book I’m ready for everything to wrap up and end, even if it’s a book I’m enjoying, however I was genuinely sad for this story to end. This book was so cozy and comforting and sweet. I could have hung out with Brody and Anna for a long long time. I was captivated by the depictions of grief. This book captured the heartache and struggles without ever being dreary or hopeless, even when the characters felt dreary and hopeless. This is the story of finding a way forward and battling your fears, even with numbness feels safer. I absolutely adored this book! Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC. This delightful debut from Fiona Lucas releases on June 8, so keep an eye out!
This is a women's fiction. In the beginning I did not think I was going to like this book. I have to say the beginning was hard for me to get into, but once I got pulled into it I could not put it down. Anna lost her husband, Spencer, and she is having trouble moving on. His mother is being not very nice to her, and she calls his old phone number to hear the message for when his phone is not answer. She is shocked when someone answers the phone. This book is about two people that is going through something so hard to get through, and they meet by a shocking phone call. They are there for each other and hopes each other through the dark times. This book was really about the light at the end of a very dark road of life. I loved the characters and the storyline in this book. I really love the ending. Wow... The ending was everything, but the whole book was great as well. I think this book maybe my new favorite book. I loved it so much. I listen to the audiobook for this book, and the narrator was really good, and I loved the audiobook. I was kindly provided an e-audiobook of this book by the publisher (William Morrow Paperbacks) or author (Fiona Lucas) via NetGalley, so I can give honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that. This book is schedule to be release on June 8-2021.
I used the audio to follow along with the book.  It was my first time actually utilizing an audio and I must admit I was very iffy at first but the narrator was very entertaining.  Her voice is soothing and she sounds very engaged with the story.

As for the story itself here is my review:
I enjoyed this story. I got the sense of mixture of You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle and Lake House. I was totally enthralled with this story. It had me laughing out loud and crying the "ugly tears". I just wish the ending was a little better but overall this story is worth your time.
I didn't care for this one at all.  I had a difficult time connecting to any of the characters, did not enjoy the narrator and found the story sad and depressing.  I thought it would have been more uplifting.
TW: Grief/Loss

There are quite a few books that have been written about losing someone, quite a few about how someone has continued with their life after losing someone, but I find that it is rare that I find a book that goes through the grieving journey. It was unique to follow a woman 2-3 years after her husband’s unexpected death. It’s not the immediate grieving or the ‘how ai have learned to live’, but the actual learning to live part of the process.

It was so brilliantly depicted through the eyes of the main character as we see her friends and family try to help, but no one can truly understand.

I really liked how the characters all felt real and developed while the main focused stayed on Anna. It so great the different areas of her life (friendships, family, his family, etc) were all part of her life and her loss was something that was kind of there, happening to her all the time rather than being the main focus of every conversation at all times because that’s not what happens in real life.

The only thing I would have liked would have been to have an epilogue. I usually don’t love an epilogue, but so feel like I got so invested in her learning what her new happy looked like that I wanted to know what that looked like for her.

The Antonia Beamish was excellent & I would love to listen to other work by them.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Harper Audio, and Fiona Lucas for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I am not going to provide a lengthy summary of the book as many others have done, but I will say I really enjoyed this book! I had a difficult time getting into as it can be sad because it discusses grief, but I'm glad I continued on. If you have ever lost someone, I imagine you will connect with what she is going through. It is a great story and I recommend it!

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for providing me with this advanced audiobook ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Please see my Goodreads review by clicking on my link. This book was not what I was expecting and I was disappointed because I was expecting a the story to be more uplifting and not so serious.
Thank you to NetGalley for an audio-ARC of The Last Goodbye by Fiona Lucas, narrated by Antonia Beamish.
Almost three years ago, Anna's husband Spencer died suddenly. Spencer was the love of Anna's life, and she has found it challenging to move forward without him. On New Year's Eve, Anna calls Spencer's phone number to hear his voicemail message but is surprised when a man answers. Through a series of phone calls, Anna gets to know Brody, a man dealing with his own tragedies. Together, they help each other learn to challenge themselves to move forward and find purpose. This book was well-written and allowed the reader to feel the difficulties of loss and sudden death. At times the book moved slowly, and the ending was somewhat predictable. Antonia Beamish's British accent added to the audio and helped the listener feel like they were in London experiencing the story. I felt the pace could have been faster and increased the audio speed to 1.25x. Overall, this was an easy read perfect for someone looking for a love story born from tragedy.
This one surprised me. I though it was going to be a super sad book but I really loved it! I found myself thinking about this book even when I wasn’t listening to it. This is one that I would love to read a physical copy of one day
This book is going to take the romance reading community by storm. It has all the trappings of an emotional "PS I Love You" type story, and I can already hear the women weeping in their bedrooms. I was delighted and enamored by this book, and recommend it for fans of more hard-hitting romances like The Two Lives of Lydia Bird and Beach Read.