Cover Image: The Words We Whisper

The Words We Whisper

This is an exceptionally well written book.  Zara Mitchell is a hospice nurse that travels around taking care of those in need.  She is called home to take care of her grandmother.  While she is home her grandmother wants her to clean out the attic because she is looking for a specific item.  On her grandmother's insistence she proceeds to clean it out.  While she is home she reconnects with a man from her past.  She has feelings for him, but is unsure if to pursue them because of his past.  Zara finds what her grandmother is looking for and proceeds to uncover a long buried secret.   As I read the book I found it difficult to describe the feelings I had for the characters.  Each one played an important role in the story and without them the story would not have been the same.  They are all strong individuals who did what they felt was right regardless of the pain they suffered.  She did an amazing job of bringing the characters to life.  I have read many books, but this book will be one that I will not be able to forget.  I know that it is one that I will pick up over and over again.  I have always been one that prefers stories that are written in the present.  The past and present collide in this story, but it only added to it.  Without it the story would not have been the same.  It is an unforgettable read and one that will have you feeling so many different emotions.
I absolutely loved this book.
The twisting tail of Nonna’s life in Rome during WW2 is realistic and thrilling while the modern day tale of family, love and loss is both heart warming and heart wrenching.
I will definitely be recommending this book to my reading friends.
A perfect historical- love story. Isabella a seamstress during the war. Tells her story in the past. Zara tells her story in the present. When a emergency sends Zara back to her Nonna. All is revealed in Nonnas time.
The Words We Whisper is a duel timeline WWll novel.  I really enjoyed this story of sisters  Gina and  Zara and how they learned about their grandmother's secrets of her past in 1943 Rome.  Through stories told by Nonna and journal entries the truth is revealed. This is a very emotional read. Mary Ellen Taylor has become one of my favorite authors and I highly recommend this book. Thanks to the author, publisher Montlake, and NetGalley for providing a copy of this book for  a honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

Zara's job as a hospice nurse has taken her all over the place. When she gets the call that her 97 year old grandmother is ill, she returns home to Virginia to help. Complicated family dynamics have made communication difficult for Zara, her older sister Gina, and Nonna, but when Nonna tells Zara about the final task she wants completed, Zara complies. Along the way, she discovers secrets that will change all she knows about her family.

I liked the story and thought the characters were interesting. One thing that kept pulling me from the narrative, however, was how sections of the story would randomly change from third person to first person. It made it difficult to stay in the story. The build of the narrative was also good, but I did feel the ending was a tad rushed.
This is the first novel I have read by Mary Ellen Taylor and I have to say, I am super impressed. The story is told in two timelines - one is 1943, Italy, and the other is the current day USA. The older story is told by Isabella, a seamstress, and the newer story is told by Zara, her granddaughter and a hospice nurse.

The two stories are told alternatingly and come together so beautifully, you cannot help falling in love with them. Zara finds the meaning of life along the way. The stories made me root for Zara in her coming-of-age journey.

Beautiful book beautifully written,

5 stars.
When I read the synopsis I wasn't sure that I would enjoy reading about the war, but what a delightful and intriguing story it is.The story spans 80 years parts in the 1940's and parts in present day Virginia. Isabella is a seamstress in war torn Italy and Mia is her irresponsible friend who becomes the mistress of a high ranking German Officer. Back to present day Virginia, and Zara a hospice nurse who travels about tending to the terminally ill, is called home by her sister Gina to care for their dying Nonna, whose main concern is that Zara clears the attic to find "something" although she won't say what that something is until Zara finds it.
Zara finds a box of mementos and a journal which the sisters have to read together. They discover a fascinating story which I'm not going into, you will find out when you read it. I will admit to having a few sniffles, but that's the sign of a good book to me
Outstanding book. Thoroughly enjoyed the Italian storyline to the plot and the history that surrounds it.  Learnt new things about the work of the Italian Resistance and the occupation of Rome, not something that features in any other books I have read.
Have to admit to skim reading some of the Gina storyline as it related to Cancer and having lost close family members and others fighting it at the moment I find this too upsetting and scary to read.  I wasn't even sure if it was needed as the Nonna storyline was strong enough without Gina being ill.
Will certainly look for more historical fiction books by this author and would recommend this book to others.
I absolutely loved this story.  It was the first book of Mary Ellen Taylor that I had the privilege to read in advance and happy I have a new author to add on my bookshelf.

A cross between modern time and war-torn Italy, the depth of emotion this story has is so poignant, you can't help but feel you are not simply reading, but living the words and actions.  Characters you will love, despise and laugh with as the story unfolds.
Two stories (one during World War II and one present day) entwined masterfully to create one cohesive story. Isabella and Mia work as seamstresses in Italy during the war. The POV is from Isabella as she risks her life to spy and to help evacuate Jews. Present day, Zara gets called home to help her sister and grandma and ends up making some life discoveries. Fantastic characters and many heartwarming moments. Thanks to the author and Netgalley for the ARC to review.
Amazing, fabulous book but I always really enjoy this Author’s books. There are two stories in this book. The way they are tied together is nothing short of miraculous. Read this book. I highly recommend it. Thanks to NetGalley, Montlake and the Author for the privilege of reading and reviewing this book.
I won't go into the plot of this book as it's quite a while until it is published and I don't want to spoil it for people plus the blurb does more than enough to inform people of what to expect.

I enjoyed this novel. It was beautifully written and goes back and forth between the timelines seamlessly. I enjoyed both time periods immensely and all the characters offered something that I took away with me for many days after finishing the book. In the end, 'The Words We Whisper' is about finding what really matters in life and I think it did this beautifully. An excellent, well-written book. I look forward to more from this author.

Thank you very much to the author, the publishers and Netgalley for my free copy of this e-book in exchange for my honest review.
This book has two stories, it's narrated by Zara in the present and Isabella in the past.

In the past Isabella is a seamstress during WW2, helping to hide Jewish people and pass information to the Padre. She lives in a home with Mia. Mia is a party girl having a romance with a German official.

In the present, Zara is called back to help with her Nonna, whom her sister says is in poor health. Nonna wants help to find a journal that's in the attic.

The two stories intertwine, but I'm not going to explain much here. I highly recommend this book. There are quite a few revelations.
I almost lost interest in the book. I say almost because after picking it up again the third time to finish what I started, I found myself embroiled in everything that was happening in the book. I enjoyed the characters so much. i could be friends with. This was a very enjoyable read!
This story is told in two time periods. In the past we have Isabella's journal of Italy in the war. in the present we have Zara, her sister Gina and their grandmother Nonna. Zara is a hospice nurse and she travels to each patient with her dogs. She heads home because she is told Nonna is dying. Nonna is 93 and sounds amazing. All the people in this book really came to life for me. I could "see" Isabella in Italy avoiding the German soldiers as she walked to work. This was really good. and exactly what I expected from Mary Ellen Taylor.
The first book of Mary Ellen Taylor's that I read, I really enjoyed. In my opinion, this was a good book, but I had a harder time to get into it. I loved the plot line and the characters, but I feel it is missing something. I loved the historical fiction side of the book. Any book involving spies during the 1940s, typically grabs my attention fast. I think the present day side of the story was lacking and needed more depth to it.

The story is set in two different time periods. Jumping back in time during the war in Rome, Italy in the 1940s, as well as present day in Virginia, USA. Isabella is a seamstress living in Rome in 1943. Isabella tries to help a friend and colleague, Mia, during and after her pregnancy and losing her baby. After the tragedy, Mia starts going out more and ends up becoming the lover of a high-up German official. Isabella does not approve of the relationship, and tries to discourage the relationship. Isabella forms a relationship with an individual of her own, Mia's brother, Riccardo. Both Isabella and Mia find themselves involved in the war trying to help rid Rome of the Germans. Fast forward eight decades to present day to Zara, a hospice nurse who has been called home to help take care of her dying grandmother. While taking care of her grandmother, she asks Zara to take care and clean out the attic to find some momentos from when her grandmother was younger. Along the way, Zara finds a journal detailing Isabella's life during her time in Rome during the war. Zara tries to ask her grandmother about the journal and the other items, but she will not answer her. While Zara is there, she finds also finds out a secret that her sister, Gina was trying to hide from the family. Trying to deal with taking care of her grandmother and rebuilding a relationship with her sister, she figures out what matters in life.
A really emotional book with an emotional begginin and ending. You have to have a good focus to keep up with the events that are taking place. The details in this book made it even better when talking about events that took place or are taking place with the war. I like the relationship in these stories because they seem so genuine and real life like.