Cover Image: Bones of Hilo

Bones of Hilo

I would give this 2.5 stars! The concept was interesting and the setting was fantastic, but ultimately the writing could use a bit more work when it comes to moving the plot forward and developing the characters. I appreciate this idea a lot and think it was a good start.

Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
If I could make this 31/2 stars I would. Living where the bulk of this story takes place made this book interesting to me, but I found the story of Detective Kawika Wong a bit tedious and very convoluted.  The murder of a high profile developer is given to the young Kawika to solve since it looks like a Native Hawaiian group maybe involved.
I didn’t particularly like some of the choices he made in his personal life either, and, without spoiling the end, it just didn’t hit the mark for me. Kawika solves the murder but a lot gets swept under the rug. I will read the next book I the series, and hope it gets a bit better.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy.
A young, inexperienced detective from the wet, working-class side of Hawaii's Big Island, Kawika Wong faces an uphill battle to gain the respect of his more seasoned colleagues. And he has the chance of a lifetime when Ralph Fortunato, the Mainland developer of an unpopular resort on the island's tourist side, is found murdered on a luxury golf course, an ancient Hawaiian spear driven through his heart. This was such an entertaining and well plotted story. The characters were all interesting and not your typical cookie cutter crime solvers. I really liked the protagonist and hope this author writes more in this series.