Cover Image: Alone in the Woods

Alone in the Woods

Just when I thought I ran out of super twisted books to read, I picked up Alone in the woods & it saved the day! A sure shot page turner with a twist I never saw coming! I absolutely love books like these. I was already in love with this atmospheric & compelling series but this book knocked it right out of park. I loved the plot & characters in the book. The book starts with a brutal but engaging chapter that reeled me right in. From there on, turning pages speedily was a given. I thought introducing the perp at the start initially felt like it took out out the suspense but there was a method to madness! The suspense certainly never went away instead amped up with every subsequent chapter. The characters too were written so very well. I absolutely loved this book! Det. Alyssa is my fav new cop on the block! I can't wait to see the next case she & her team work on.

Thank you NetGalley, Hera Books & Charly Cox for an arc!
I read the 2 nd book in the series which I enjoyed and I enjoyed this one too . It started off at a lightning.  pace and kept me engrossed from page to page . I really enjoyed the character's and the storyline . A good
Book which I would recommend
This is book three in the series starring protagonist Alyssa Wyatt and it’s just as good as its predecessors.
Addis and her best friend Emerson disappear on the night Addis’s parents are found murdered.  The hunt is on to find the girls.
The story is told from the POV of Alyssa and her partner Cord as well as that of the missing girls.
This is the third and makes reference to the previous storylines so I would read in order.
Thanks to Hera books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
#AloneintheWoods #NetGalley
This story is set in New Mexico.
Gabriel Kensington and his wife are found murdered and their daughter and friends are missing.
Detective Alyssa Wyatt and her partner Cord Roberts and team are called in to help find the girls before they are murdered to .
And to find out why Gabriel was murdered.
This book will have you gripped
Thanks NetGalley
Alone in the Woods is a great crime thriller, and though it's the third in a series, you can still enjoy this novel without feeling lost if you haven't read the first two. I really liked Alyssa and the other detectives, so I'm definitely going to go back and read the other books in the series. Alone in the Woods is a thrilling read, and I really cared about what happened to the characters. I didn't see the ending coming at all, and it was SO GOOD. Thanks to NetGalley and Hera Books for giving me the opportunity to read and review an amazing book by a new-to-me author. : )
This is the first book I have read by this author but I wasn’t disappointed at all, it was one hell of a ride with many twists and turns that keep you reading.

If you are looking for a rollercoaster ride book, then get over to Amazon, you won’t be disappointed.
When a telephone call from distressed teenager Addis Kensington to her Aunt is made, authorities are alerted that her Addis’ parents have been murdered. When Alyssa and the rest of her team arrive on the scene, Alyssa is dubious as to why Addis and her friend Emerson Childress seem to have disappeared. Soon enough, it becomes apparent that the teenage girls have in fact been kidnapped, and now the race really is on to save them from a similar fate to Addis’ late parents.

Alyssa is fully aware that time is most certainly of the essence here, so her investigation quickly ramps up with the urgency flowing from the page to the reader. A suspect is quickly identified, however they now face the troubling problem of not being able to locate them.

This book most certainly gets the adrenaline pumping from the start. The storyline is so perfectly constructed, full of twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat throughout. I really enjoyed the way in which the author told this story, alternating between the perspective of Alyssa and her team, to then getting an insight as to how Addis and Emerson are feeling throughout the whole terrible ordeal, and the ways in which they support one another is beautiful.

Full to the brim of suspense, this book was difficult to part with! The writing style was brilliant, the characters were well developed and realistic, with their emotions really flowing on to the pages and pulling you further in to their story. A truly fantastic read that I would recommend to all.
Dark, gritty and chilling, crime fiction fans better buckle up for the latest Detective Alyssa Wyatt thriller by Charly Cox: Alone in the Woods.

When Alyssa gets a call from frantic teenager Addis that her parents Gabriel and Lydia Kensington were being brutally slain in their opulent mansion in New Mexico, she wastes no time in going to their rescue. Hardened detective Alyssa might have been prepared for the worst, but even she is shocked to the core by what she finds – and what she doesn’t! Even though the Kensingtons have been viciously murdered, their teenage daughter Addis is nowhere to be found. She was meant to be spending the evening with her friend Emerson yet the young teen seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. Alyssa cannot help but be worried about this; Addis’ call made it sound as if the killer was still in the house and had been coming to kill her next. Did the killer get to Addis? Did she manage to make her escape? Or is the killer waiting in the shadows waiting to make their next devastating move?

High in the woods north of Albuquerque in a remote cabin, Addis and Emerson are being held hostage at the mercy of a brutal stranger with a thirst for vengeance…and murder! The girls are in terrible danger and their captor makes it perfectly clear that their lives could be claimed at any second. With nowhere to escape and nobody who knows where they are being held, the chances of them leaving the cabin alive are becoming slimmer and slimmer with each passing second. But what does this stranger want with the girls? Why were the Kensington family targeted? What drove this stranger to kill them so brutally? And what will happen to poor Addis and Emerson?

Alyssa and her partner Cord need to work hard to figure out who killed the Kensingtons and they need to find answers fast because with each passing second, Addis and Emerson are getting closer and closer to their deaths.

Charly Cox is the queen of nerve-twisting and nail-biting crime thrillers and she is on top form with Alone in the Woods. A brilliantly plotted thriller packed with shocks and surprises I didn’t see coming, Alone in the Woods is first class crime fiction jam-packed with heart-pounding danger and spine-chilling suspense that will have you checking for monsters under the bed.

In Alyssa, Charly Cox has created a brilliant heroine who is tough, focused, determined and somebody you would love to have in your corner.

A superb crime thriller from a writer who ups her game with every new release, Charly Cox’s Alone in the Woods is crime fiction at its most addictive.
I’m so sad to say I was not a fan of this book not enough action or suspense, I just wasn’t interested in at all.
Stark. Vivid. Gripping. Charly Cox’s books have the rawness in them along with tiny nuggets of emotions where one catches my head, the other my heart. This was one such book too.

This was the third in the series with Alyssa Wyatt and Cord at the helm of the investigation where brother of District Attorney and his wife were butchered and their 17-year-old girls missing. 2 things had to be done. Find the girls. Find the killer.

Having read the previous books, I should have been more prepared for Charly’s writing, but I wasn’t. It hit me like a ten ton log. There was something so pure, (yes, I am using it for a police procedural) in its tone, so undiluted, that it made me sit up and take notice.

Small words inserted at certain points would either make my imagination run rampant or my throat seize up.

Then there was the investigation with Alyssa which went at its own fast pace with little twists adding to the zing of the story. I liked how my attention was linked solely to the book. The end, as per the norm, was explosive.

A great book that didn’t pull back its punches.
This book is the third in the Alyssa Wyatt series, and although It can be read on its own, I do recommend reading the other 2 first as they do talk about the old cases quite a bit in this book - plus they are amazing so you really do need to read them!
This book opened up with an absolutely amazing first chapter - which actually reminded me a little of the film Taken - just with how fast paced it was and how it really grabbed you.
It calmed down a little after that, although by any means I don't mean it wasn't any good.
Then around half way it picked up again, and built and built until I could not put it down until it was finished.
Absolutely love this series - Charly Cox is right up there as one of my favourites authors, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Great book which gets a solid 5 stars from me.
Alone in the Woods by Charly Cox is the third book in the Detective Alyssa Wyatt series, set in Albuquerque New Mexico.This is a series that you can read seperately so is great as a standalone. Even I have missed one book up to now.
Teenagers Addis Kensington and Emerson Childress are 17 and have been best friends for that long that if any of them got in trouble they would go to the other girls house to stay until things calmed down again. One evening Addis does just this and plans to stay at Emersons until it blows iver. They find they have to nip back to Addis's for some extra stuff for the sleepover.
They don't expect to see both of Addis's parents brutally murdered and both go into shock after seeing this horrific sight. They don't realise that it isn't just them in the house there is someone else and the girls are kidnapped there and then. Detective Alyssa Wyatt and her partner Detective Cord Roberts along with their team are called out urgently to investigate the double murder and to hopefully find the two girls, but will they be able to find them before it becomes 4 murders and not 2? Why have they been taken?
I found this new instalment of Alyssa's compulsive and intriguing reading. Told from multiple viewpoints so we get to know what is happening and who is who pretty quickly. I had my heart in my mouth at times for sure, a twisty and adrenaline inducing read as I always find with a Charly Cox book. I was certainly silently hoping Alyssa would find the girls and the perpertrator as soon as she could. The tension had me flipping the pages as fast as I could to find out what would happen next.
The characters in this series are fully fleshed out to the point that I feel connected to Alyssa whenever I pick up a new Charly Cox Alyssa book and will continue to do so as the stories are as fresh as the first.
Thanks to Books On The Bright Side Publicity, Hera Books and NetGalley for my copy of the book.
‘Alone In The Woods’ is the third book in the bestselling series featuring Detective Alyssa Wyatt.  I read, reviewed and loved the first two books in the series.  I couldn’t wait to get hold of a copy of ‘Alone In The Woods’. Well ladies and gents the wait is over because ‘Alone In The Woods’ was released on 17th February 2021.  It is another corker of a read and I thoroughly enjoyed very single second of it but more about that in a bit.
It took me no time at all to get into this story.  As soon as I started to read that was it, I was in the ‘zone’ as it were.  I felt like I had been reunited with an old friend in the form of Detective Alyssa Wyatt.  To say that reading ‘Alone In The Woods’ became addictive is a huge understatement.  I would pick the book up only intending to read a couple of chapters to fill in the odd half hour but I would become so wrapped up in the story that I would still be sat there reading over half a dozen chapters later.  I couldn’t turn the pages quick enough as my desperation to find out what happened grew and grew.  I found ‘Alone In The Woods’ to be a gripping read, which kept me guessing and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.
‘Alone In The Woods’ is extremely well written but then I consider that to be true of the first two books in the series too.  I love the way in which Charly starts the story with an attention grabbing incident.  Once Charly has your attention, she won’t let you have it back until the moment you have read the very last word in the very last page.  Reading ‘Alone in The Woods’ was like being on a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with several twists and turns along the way.  For me, the story hit the ground running and maintained a fast pace throughout.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Alone In The Woods’ and I would recommend this book to other readers.  I will certainly be reading more of Charly’s work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Alone in the Woods by Charly Cox
Detective Alyssa Wyatt #3

Captured in the first scene of the book, both myself and the two girls kidnapped, and engaged through till the end, I was rooting for a successful conclusion to the murder investigation, a happy ending for Addis and Emerson, and the revelation and capture of the serial killer. Great addition to the series!

What I liked:
* Alyssa: normal, well-balanced, police detective, team leader, mother, wife, friend, unflappable – I like her as a person and admire her.
* Cord: work-partner to Alyssa, husband, soon-to-be-father, even tempered, normal, balanced, - I like him.
* Tony: intrigued by him and found him worth note – hope we see more of him in the future
* Addis & Emerson: strong, smart, tenacious, enduring, willing to do what it took to survive.
* The police procedural aspects of the story
* Glimpses of people from the last book as well as hints of what that last book was about.
* The writing and the slow release of information with twists and turns that eventually revealed who was behind the crime(s).
* Feeling I was there with the characters as the case unfolded
* That this book was not a cookie cutter replay of the previous one – there was violence and crime but though dark it wasn’t the same type of darkness and evil as in the previous book.
* The conclusion and knowing that there will be another book in the series.

What I didn’t like:
* The person I was meant NOT to like – easy to hate such a one! Truly deserves being incarcerated…or worse!
* Having to wait for the next book in the series.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more by this author? Yes

Thank you to NetGalley and Hera Books for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars
FABULOUS crime thriller with great characterization, an abundance of suspense & totally enjoyable storyline that draws you in until the terrific conclusion. I have read #1 in this series & plan to catch up with the other 2. RECOMMEND highly.  Thanks to NetGalley & Hera for this ARC in return for my honest review.
Alone in the Woods is the third instalment in the Detective Alyssa Wyatt series, set in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Teenagers and best friends 17 year old Addis Kensington and Emerson Childress were almost inseparable during their school years, so much so that they would often scuttle off to each other's houses when in trouble at home. One such evening, Addis decides to spend a night at Emerson's after being yelled at by her mother and to initiate a cool down between mother and daughter. However, the two girls return to Addis' home to pick up some clothing and necessities for their imminent sleepover and stumble onto a devastating and heartbreaking sight; Addis' parents, Lydia and Gabriel, have been brutally murdered and lie motionless on the kitchen floor. In the direct aftermath of the slayings they can barely comprehend what they are seeing. With both of their minds reeling, neither of them realise that the horror of the crime may not be over and when they become aware they are not alone in the house it is too late. Is the ruthless, evil murderer still in the residence with them? The perpetrator isn't finished yet and abducts the two young women while in their state of shock. Detective Alyssa Wyatt and her partner Detective Cord Roberts and the rest of their team are urgently called in to investigate the double homicide and locate the girls before they too are killed.

This is a captivating, convoluted and exciting police procedural with one of the most gritty and intense plots I've encountered recently and the unravelling of the reasons behind the killings and abductions lead to the warped mind of a narcissistic and seriously disturbed serial killer, who I came to despise, with a dynamic and enthralling chase to identify and apprehend him. I am always a fan of strong female protagonists so to be treated to the great dynamic between the kickass, fierce Alyssa and her amazing team was a real treat. It is mainly told from Alyssa’s perspective making the narrative straightforward and therefore much more immersive, although there are intermittent chapters from the unidentified killer’s point of view which act as a window into his chilling mindset. Cox makes excellent use of twists, turns and misdirection throughout bringing some surprises to the narrative and the whole thing moves at a pretty brisk pace. It's a refreshingly original thriller with plenty of intrigue surrounding the mind of the psychopath who seemingly wants revenge at any cost and who takes enormous pleasure in other people's misery—usually the misery he himself has caused. An entertaining and compulsive, clever and engrossing read, which is a nailbiting page-turner from the get-go. Highly recommended.
30% of the way through and had to DNF.
The first chapter of this book gripped me but from there I just kept finding myself skim reading.
There is a lot of dialogue and references to past cases which I found unnecessary and they don't do anything to move the story along. I don't know if this is a ploy to read the first two books.
I'm obviously in the minority as this book has received good reviews but in my opinion it's not the edge of your seat thriller I was expecting.
An enjoyable read, although I felt it was a little anticlimactic. I think the idea and intent for this book was there, but the execution was what failed.

There were many characters I felt that could have deserved a little more development to really help the plot along.

To me, the ending was a little far fetched as there was very little to come to that conclusion.

Overall, it was a quick read and enjoyable for the most part.
Teenager Addis Kensington arrives home with her friend, Emerson, to find her parents slaughtered in a scene straight out of a horror movie. While trying to contact her aunt, she makes a terrifying discovery: the killer is still in the house. On their arrival, the police, led by detective Alyssa Wyatt, find their worst fears have been realised when there is no sign of the girls anywhere, seemingly taken by the killer. To have any chance of finding the girls alive, Wyatt and her team must find out why private detective, Gabriel Kensington, and his wife were killed, uncovering a catalogue of crimes that have remained hidden for many years.

The Alyssa Wyatt series by Charly Cox have become some of my ‘must read’ books and I have been looking forward to reading this one. If you haven’t read the previous books in the series, this could be read as a standalone but I do thoroughly recommend the previous two, All His Pretty Girls and The Toy Box as they do give a great insight into Alyssa’s life and what makes her tick.

In Alyssa and her partner, Cord, Charly Cox has created hugely likeable characters with very realistic lives. Stories involving their families complement the main plot and do not overpower it unlike in many books of this genre. I find that many authors place too much emphasis on the detectives’ family life but here we see a very good balance, leaving you caring about Cord’s impending fatherhood and Alyssa’s relationship with her husband and children.

As well as seeing the police investigation into the murders and the missing girls, we also experience what the two teenagers are having to endure at the hands of their captor. We realise that there is more to this case than meets the eye and soon we are fearing for the safety of Addis and Emerson. I admired the tenacity of the girls who when faced with utmost danger somehow find the strength to continue.

There are a wide range of supporting characters in Alone in the Woods and I really liked how the author kept us guessing as to the motives of some of the people we meet. It is obvious that people are hiding something, but what? I found myself totally engrossed in the plot and couldn’t wait to see how everything fitted together, leaving me open-mouthed when the final reveal was made!

Charly Cox is becoming one of my favourite authors and Alone in the Woods has definitely confirmed my opinion. If you haven’t read any of this series yet, I recommend it highly – you won’t be disappointed!
This is the third book of the Detective Alyssa Wyatt series.

After reading Toy Box, I badly want to read more books from this author and so I was so happy when Hera publishers granted me this ARC! Detective Alyssa is back in her game when a privileged couple, Gabriel and Lydia Kensington was found brutally murdered in their homes and their daughter Addis along with her best friend Emerson are missing. Alyssa finds that Gabriel is an PI and believed that one of the cold cases would have led ultimately to his death and along with her partner Cord, they would set to find the murderer...

This book was AMAZING!! Again an action packed filled book with twists and unexpected turns you would generally expect in a thriller. And also quite fast paced too!!!! I really like how Addis and Emerson stick together after they being kidnapped and the ordeal they both faced together seemed realistic to me. It was also unputdownable that I couldn't wait to get to the ending!! And the ending--there is just one word--UNEXPECTED. Totally unexpected twisted ending!

Overall, I give this book five stars!!! Can't wait for Book 4 to come!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Hera publishers. This review is strictly based on my opinion.