Cover Image: The Ex

The Ex

A young pregnant mum is attacked on her doorstep as she opens the door .
D.I. Jenna Morgan is called to the scene .
They realise their is a little boy missing has he toddled off or has he been taken .
This definitely is another great book in the D.I Jenna Morgan series .
This book has plenty of twists
It definitely gets you hooked.
Great Book
Thanks NetGalley
TERRIFIC police procedural, really well written, with great characterization & lots of suspense to keep you on edge until the grand finale.  First time reading this author but have already purchased #3 in the series & plan to  get them all.. Enjoyed immensely, RECOMMEND highly.  Thanks to NetGalley & Bookouture for this ARC in return for my honest review.
One of the main characters in this book is the heat. It plays important part in everything that is going on. It is talked about, suffered, survived...
The books starts of very interesting and suspenseful. However, it becomes very clear who is who in the story very quickly. Then, it just rolls, melts, stumbles and melts some more.
Having realised that The Ex is not the first book in the series about DS Jenna Morgan, I had a thought of reading the series from the beginning. But, having finished this book, I think not.
There was no suspense. Being a police-procedural, The Ex is lacking on many fronts. But, I absolutely loved the family dynamics of Jenna Morgan's family. It felt comfortable and safe and it was interesting to read about.
All in all, three stars for a very slow-burning, rather heat-melting police procedural about a crazy ex, mental illness, and horror of losing child.
A quick and easy read that I found myself picking up after a long day to unwind. The characters are beautifully written and I came to love them within the first few pages and was rooting for them all the way to the end. At times I wanted to stop reading because I just wanted the experience to go on for longer.
A well written, intense thrill ride!  The main character, is so well developed it’s scary!  This book is full of twisty turns, chilling chills, thrilling thrills, and shocks!  Fast paced and unputdownable, making you scared to ever have any exes!  Highly, highly recommend this one, as I promise it’ll give you thrill lovers exactly what you seek!
When I requested The Ex from NetGalley, I didn't realize it was the fourth in a series, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the book at all. I really liked the detective characters, so I definitely want to go back and read the rest of the books in the series. I've never read anything quite like The Ex, and I liked that it went back and forth between different perspectives, giving the reader a front row seat to both the crimes and the police investigation. Thanks to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for giving me the opportunity to read a fantastic book by a new-to-me author. : )
A nail-biting crime drama that skillfully blends tension, menace and suspense, Diane Saxon’s The Ex is sure to satisfy fans of psychological thrillers and police procedurals alike.

In the middle of a heat wave, DS Jenna Morgan is called to a domestic incident at the home of a young family in the town of Ironbridge. Having had similar calls in the past, Jenna has a fair inkling of what she is about to find, however, she quickly realises that there is nothing typical or straightforward about the Cheetham-Epstein residence and that she might have just stumbled into her most challenging case yet. Pregnant Imogen has been found unconscious by her husband Zak with serious head injuries. However, Jenna quickly realises that this is only the beginning of this puzzling mystery as on arriving on the scene, she finds something even more disturbing and sinister…

The couple’s eleventh-month old son Joshua has gone missing and the race is on to find the child and rescue him from certain danger. But just how safe is the Cheetham-Epstein residence? Are Imogen’s injuries the direct result of an accident? Or is something far more chilling going on here than meets the eye? Is Joshua’s disappearance linked to Imogen’s accident? Or are the two events completely separate? Are the Cheetham-Epsteins telling the police the whole truth? Or are they determined to keep a dark secret from their past hidden?

Jenna will leave no stone unturned until she gets to the truth, but will she be able to find Joshua in time and unearth the skeletons in the Cheetham-Epstein’s closet? Or will this case leave Jenna with more questions than answers?

Dark, gritty and captivating, Diane Saxon’s The Ex is a chilling crime thriller with plenty of twists and turns to keep readers completely and utterly hooked! A nerve-twisting read packed with shocking revelations that will make readers jump out of their skin, The Ex features tough, determined and intelligent DS Jenna Morgan, a brilliant detective who I hope we haven’t seen the last of.

Crime fiction fans looking for a book that will keep them reading all through the night, look no further than Diane Saxon’s The Ex.
I received an ARC copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion of it. As I did not know this was part of a series, it was confusing and I could not follow
I didn't realize this was part of a series, but thankfully it wasn't really needed to understand or follow the book.

Really enjoyed this one and this will be quite easy to recommend to readers both as a stand-alone and as part of a series, which is always nice.
Gripping story of unrequited,imagined love. A good edition to this series where the characters continue to develop and grow. Lots of twists.
I read this book as a stand alone not realising that it was part of a series but as the story unfolded and reference was made to past events I guessed there was more to learn,

Nevertheless it was a great read delving into the mind of a psychotic Ex with a split personality hell bent on revenge.

DI Jenna and her team are tasked with finding missing toddler Joshua who went missing after his mother was brutally attack i their home and left for dead.

Full of drama, violence and trauma,
Zak Cheetham-Epstein lives in a beautiful house with wife (of three weeks) Imelda, and their beautiful 11 month old son, Joshua. They're enjoying a typical Sunday at home together before their world is turned upside down.
Emily is distraught. Well that's an understatement. My first thoughts were: "This is one crazy individual." Then, "I really feel sorry for this woman."
I have thoroughly enjoyed Diane Saxon's books so far and this was yet another gripping and fantastic read.
This book is the fourth in the DS Jenna Morgan series and is slightly different to the authors other books, in that we know who the antagonist is from the start, but it isn't as clear cut as it seems. No, I was gobsmacked with how the story unfolded and I had a huge shock near the end!
This story shows how one can become obsessed, feel as low as one can possibly get, how the past defines our future...
I love how well Jenna and Mason get along together, both in and out of work. They have respect for each other plus light banter, which I love.

Any case involving a child is very heart-wrenching and I feel that Jenna and Morgan couldn't have been better Police officers assigned to dealing with this case even though it is hard for Jenna as she has had a tough time in the past on previous cases. Mason grows on me more and more and after this case I just love him! Bad things happen every day in real life, there is no getting away from it and this story was so well plotted that it also felt real.
I love how much Fliss and Jenna care for Fliss's Dog, Domino.  Each time I read a Diane Saxon book I can't wait to hear about Domino.
I look forward to reading more from this author, her books are always very enjoyable, hard to put down, and I love to spend time with these wonderful main characters.
Well worth more than 5 stars!
My thanks to Boldwood Books via NetGalley.
This is my honest and unbiased review.
We all have that one ex that won’t accept it’s over but when it becomes stalking and potentially murderous it takes things to another level.

Zak has moved on, he’s married, he has a child and another on the way his ex is in his past and forgotten.  However his ex has other ideas.

A brilliantly written tale that kept me gripped to the end.  The scene with the dog handler had me in fits of laughter (my dad was a dog handler!) and the banter within the CID team gives  light relief to a hard storyline of poor mental health and it’s repercussions.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
A very enjoyable read!

I always love a good psychological thriller, and Diane Saxon did not disappoint!
The Ex - Diane Saxon

This is the latest in the DS Jenna Morgan series, I try to read series in order but it didn't hamper my enjoyment, everything is explained and it works as a standalone.

The characters are well portrayed and likeable, and the Police team are refreshingly normal, the locations are well described. If anything I would say there was sometimes a little too much explanation of events which slowed things down.

I enjoyed the book, though it is a bit gentler than a lot of the books I would choose. Jenna and team get a call on a pregnant woman unconscious with head injuries at home, on arrival the husband is distraught, even more so when informed that his eleven month old son Joshua is missing.

We know Ex, Emily is responsible for causing the head injuries and taking the baby and it's a race against time to try to find Joshua before any more harm is done. Emily was one of my favourites from her drunken breakdown at a works party to her schizophrenic voices telling her what to do.

Enjoyable overall, while I'm not rushing off to order the rest of the series I will definitely keep a look out for more from this author.

Amazon review as D.Blewitt

Thanks to Netgalley and Boldwood Books
Man, this book was terrific from start to finish.  It had me clenching my teeth the whole way through.  One thing’s for sure, I am now a Diane Saxon fan.

A dark, mind-boggling story about the wrath of a scorned women that’s enough to leave you uncomfortable and unsettled with twists and turns that keeps the reader glued to the pages.

If you’re a fan of edge of your seat police procedural thrillers, this book is a must read.
The Ex by Diane Saxon is a psychological thriller that is the fourth book in the DS Jenna Morgan series, set in and around the village of Ironbridge in Shropshire. I have enjoyed this series from the beginning but they can be read as standalones, as always you just miss the little deeper understanding of Jenna.

In this book Jenna is called out to what she believes is a domestic disturbance. She arrives at the scene to find the paramedics doing their upmost to keep the victim alive. While this brings up traumatic memories as her partner was shot right next to her, she goes to speak to the victims husband who then mentions their 11 month old son, Joshua. Jenna searches the house and the baby is gone. She is given the information that Zac, the victims husband has an Ex that still isn't over him, Emily. Now Jenna has to find out who has attacked this woman and where is the baby? Could it be the ex? Or are these two incidents connected?

A thrilling and brilliant book to add to the series. This one does go down some dark paths and we see just how chilling it can become when Ex's and mental health are involved. A series that is as good as it was in the first book. Jenna has enough emotional baggage to really make the reader empathise with her. This story is a riveting one that has an original premise and Diane Saxon has dealt with the issue of mental health with sensitivity and you can clearly tell she has experience in this field.
This is a psychological thriller that has depth to the story and the twists, well you don't see them coming...at all.
Thanks to Rachel's Random.Resources, Boldwood Books and NetGalley for my copy of the book.
I had two main issues that held me back from really enjoying What She Saw previously. The first was that I entered the series late and I couldn’t forge a connection to the main characters. The good news is that I certainly felt a difference when reading The Ex. Having that extra bit of back story to Jenna, Mason, and Fliss really helped me understand a bit more and how their actions fit in with the overall story. I felt more invested in the book.

The second issue I had with What She Saw was Poppy’s side story, which I felt was a bit too lobbed in there for my liking. However, in The Ex, there is the perfect balance of chapters between Jenna and her team solving the case and the actions of the perpetrator. Personally, I much prefer books from the viewpoint of the victim or the villain rather than the police so this was a perfect blend for me.

The points above are quite personal to me and my preferences. As someone that is just looking for a good book, you should know that The Ex is a great read. It did take me a few chapters to get into it but the story gripped me in the end. I did have my suspicions of the outcome but it was formed through subtle hints, and the story wasn’t without its twists. Truly an addictive read!
I've read all the books in this series so far, and it's an addictive mix of police procedural and psychological suspense. The multi-layered plot encompasses a police investigation into an injured woman and a missing child. The second perspective is the antagonist's gaining insight into their state of mind, and motivation which is chilling and compelling.

The story's pacing reflects the steadiness and unpredictability of the police investigation and the intensity of the antagonist's actions and moods. The police team dynamic is authentic, and the believably written personal interactions balance the noir crime themes.

The suspense builds to an unexpected twist.

I received a copy of this book from Boldwood Books via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Firstly I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for my copy of this ebook in exchange for my honest review and Rachel at Rachel’s Random Resources for my spot on this Blog Tour.

This is my first book by Diane Saxon and what an excellent, thrilling and detailed read it was, with two incredibly written main characters.

The main theme of this book was generally how crazy an ex can make you feel but for me it was the mental health aspect that spoke to me. The main character Emily you could see was Mentally unwell from the offset and because this character was so incredibly well written and thought out – she had to have been my favourite, no matter how much I hated her at certain points.

This book will certainly keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.