Cover Image: Death at the Salon

Death at the Salon

This book was even better than the first! By the time it was done, I felt like I knew Daisy and her employees so much better. She got to interact quite a bit more with Penny and Krish one-on-one this time around which always helps to build up more good background for the characters and made me see that Daisy was not only an awesome employer, but she was a good friend to her people she worked with.

I had absolutely no idea whodunit, but I was happy enough to read along and fall down each rabbit hole investigating right along with Daisy-and actually toward the end, Paul let her in on it a little more. I think the two could work really well together, and I'm wondering if he's caving a little on that. Stay tuned, right? I'm definitely looking forward to the next book which comes out in September, and it's a Christmas theme!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.
This series is becoming a favorite and I'm loving it.
This was an excellent addition that kept me hooked and entertained. I had a lot of fun and the solid mystery kept me hooked.
Good character and plot development, lovely setting.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This has become one of my favorite series. The writing is great and the storyline just flows. I love all of the characters and I can't wait for the next book!
This is a great cozy mystery and while I really enjoyed the story I didn't connect all that well with the characters, I think I need to go back and read the first one. It can be read as a stand alone but I felt like I was missing some depth. There was a lot about this book I enjoyed though. I loved that it jumped right into the mystery, I loved how the mystery developed, I loved that the main character wasn't a typical cozy mystery  sleuth and I thought the writing was well done! Overall I enjoyed it and I think that fans of cozy mysteries will enjoy it too!
Death at the Salon by Louise R. Innes is the second in the Daisy Thorne mystery series and the first book that I have read by this author.  Daisy, owner of a hair salon, stumbles across the body of her high school nemesis leaving work one dark and stormy evening.  Since the victim was stabbed with Daisy’s hair trimming scissors, she become the prime suspect and is determined to prove her innocence.

I found this book charmingly reminiscent of Agatha Christie in a very modern way. It may have been the village setting, the delightful cast of characters, or the spunky protagonist that captivated me. I utterly enjoyed this book, the red herrings and the unanticipated ending. (I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy and all opinions are my own.)
I received an ARC of this cozy mystery. I absolutely love this series! The characters are so interesting. I love a good mystery and this one really kept me guessing. Highly recommend!
I am a voracious reader of cozy mysteries. When I have time to read for myself, I like to relax and cannot do that with suspense or thrillers. That said, some of the heroines in cozy mysteries can really get on my nerves with their drama and over-reactions. Daisy Thorne is not one of those heroines.

The book does have some drama to keep the plot interesting, but it is reasonable. When the detective she was briefly dates has to arrest her, Daisy is understandably upset, but does not hold it against the detective. She looks into everybody as suspects, but does not go overboard in her suspicions.

Overall, Death at the Salon was a good cozy mystery.

Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Daisy is surprised when she finds a client dead behind her salon as she leaves for the night. What's more surprising is that she is the prime suspect because it is her hair-cutting scissors that killed the client. As more and more things about the deceased come to light, Daisy is determined to get to the bottom of the murder before she ends up behind bars.

This was a fun little cozy. I really like Daisy as a character. It's especially fun since I work in a salon. I like her relationship with DCI Paul McGuinness. I'm excited to see how that relationship develops throughout the rest of the series. I enjoy the town that this series is set in and I'm enjoying spending time there. I like that the police kind of just accept that Daisy is going to help them with the case. I'm excited to read more from this series!

*eARC provided in exchange for an honest review*
In this second instalment in the Daisy Thorne Mysteries series by Louise R. Innes Daisy is a hair salon owner and is studying forensic psychology in her free time. She runs Ooh La La in Edgemead England a quiet, charming village. Her last customer of the day, Liz wants a little bit trimmed from the bottom of her newly highlighted hair and Daisy notices that her scissors are missing. Using another pair she completes Liz's new look, then sets about cleaning the salon. Daisy is locking up for the night when she discovers one of her customers, Melanie Haverstock lying behind her shop, with her missing cutting scissors in the dead woman’s back.

In this cozy tale, Louise R. Innes wastes no time presenting the reader with the murder very early on, and Daisy is immediately considered the prime suspect. The author's characters are very engaging, their presences jumping from the pages and by the time I finished reading I felt I had gotten to know them quite well, whilst wanting to meet up with them again. Daisy is curious, smart, and loyal to her friends, her friendships all seem genuine and I like that the reader actually gets to observe the friendships between the characters, rather than just being told that they are, in fact, on great terms. The diverse supporting characters were a hit for me as well; from the staff at Oh La La to the salon clients and the hunky Detective Chief Inspector Paul McGuinness, the reader is treated to well-crafted characters with plenty of room for growth.

The author gave me everything I desire from a fantastic cozy mystery making it easy to escape right into the humorous, light story. The suspects popped, the pacing was even and there were more than enough twists and surprises. The finale was wonderful and those twists kept on appearing. If you enjoy a cozy set in England, you need to check out this series. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Death at the Salon and I can't wait to read the first in the series, Death at a Country Mansion.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Kensington Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Death at the Salon by Louise R. Innes is the 2nd book in the Daisy Thorne Mystery series, and my first book by this author.  Daisy Thorne is a hair dresser who owns Ooh La La salon in the village of Edgemead in Surrey, England.  When Daisy leaves work one night, she almost trips over one of her clients outside the salon's back door.  Unfortunately the murder weapon is Daisy's cutting shears, and she becomes the prime suspect.  Once I started this book I could not stop reading it. It was a quick read that kept me guessing. I look forward to the next book in the series. I  recommend this book for all cozy mystery book lovers, you will not be disappointed.
Death at the Salon is a very well written cozy mystery. Great plot and character dynamics.  Cozy mystery fans will enjoy this book.
I really enjoyed this glimpse into Daisy's salon and the employees there, who we really didn't get to know in the first one since the murder took place away from there.  The story moved pretty quickly but there were areas where it lagged.  Overall, the mystery was good and I was left guessing until the very end.
Daisy Thorne and Detective Inspector Paul McGuinness are back as Daisy is accused of murder after her hair cutting scissors are found in a dead body.  Death at the Salon (Daisy Thorne, #2) by Louise R. Innes, was a fast paced, enjoyable, and clever mystery.  I love this series.  The author doesn’t drag the story along and continues to give you clues or suspects on a regular basis.  I love the characters she creates as they come across warm and friendly, just like the type of friends you would want in real life.  As in the first book, the salon setting makes you feel at home and definitely adds to the book, even when in short spurts.  If you enjoy easy to read, fast paced cozy mysteries, this is the book for you.

Thank you to Louise R. Innes, Kensington Publishing Corporation, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ book.  I am reviewing this book voluntarily and all opinions are my personal thoughts about the book.
This is the second installment in the new cozy series " Daisy Throne". I have read the first in series and was delighted to read this next in series for review. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity. My review opinions are my own.  This can be read as a stand alone however I highly recommend the first in series for your reading enjoyment.

Daisy is a fun protagnist who runs a hair salon in the fictional charming village of Edgemead in Surrey, England. I love the author's descriptions of the village and the people. Daisy is closing the shop one night when she finds a customer murdered with her scissors outside her shop. She is immediately suspect number one with the local police. The difficulty she faces is losing her business and reputation as well as the respect of her local officer a former love interest. Daisy has to find the right suspect and solve the murder before the local police close the case.

Daisy is likable, savvy and smart . I like how she eliminates clues amid many red herrings. The ending was pleasingly surprising .  I highly recommend this next in series .
Though this is the second book in this series, it is the first book that I have read. I enjoyed it and will go back and read the first book as well. It is a cozy mystery and is set, primarily in a beauty salon named Ooh La La, in a small town in England.

The proprietor of the salon and amateur sleuth is Daisy Thorne. Daisy has been studying Forensics Psychology with an eye to becoming a profiler for the police one day. When a regular customer is found murdered outside her salon, Daisy comes under suspicion.

She is not the only one who is a suspect. Way too many people had motives and opportunity and Daisy’s detective friend, DCI Paul McGuinness, has his hands full following leads and trying to corral Daisy into not investigating the murder.

There are lots of red herrings that take you from one suspect to another. Daisy’s relationship with Paul is at risk but still she chooses to do what she has to in order to clear herself and those she loves of suspicion.

I was provided a digital advance reader copy of this book by the publisher via Netgalley.
a really enjoyable wonderful read! Lots of quirky, interesting and complex characters. I loved the story and it kept me turning the pages! I was kept guessing until the very end! I am looking forward to reading more from this author, as she is a new author to me. This book won't disappoint! A must read!
Daisy is a hairdresser and owns a salon called Ooh La La in the quaint Surry village of Edgemead. The most she should have to deal with? A customer who didn't like the new hair color or the cut looked better in the magazine picture but not a dead customer dumped at the salon's back door with her hair cutting scissors stuck between her shoulder blades. So now the biggest question of all - who hated the victim, Melanie Haverstock, enough to bump her off and who also hated Daisy enough to frame her for the crime? Daisy and Mel had issues that dated back to their school days - as did some other village residents - and when it's all put together it places Daisy as the prime suspect - technically. DCI Paul McGuinness knows she innocent but he's a by the book kind of copper and the handcuffs are part of the rules. Time for Daisy to turn to her other talent, that of investigating. After all, she is studying criminology and she's learned a lot. Time to see is she's learned enough to get herself out of this sticky mess and catch the killer.
From the cozy English village setting and the wonderful cast of characters, this mystery series has everything I enjoy in a book. The puzzle is solid, the clues are plentiful and the ending surprised me. All in all, the perfect reading escape for the avid cozy mystery lover.
My thanks to the publisher Kensington and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
The mystery in this book was absolutely wonderful. It had so many twists and turns and every time I thought I had it figured out, I was wrong, and I love that! A mystery that keeps you guessing is always the best kind!

I also really like that even though this is the second book in the series, it stands alone rather nicely and doesn’t spoil the mystery of the previous book.

This is your typical cozy mystery with nothing too intense, gory, or romantic, but there are a few things worth mentioning:

As I said, romance-wise, there’s honestly not much to speak of other than it’s mentioned that unmarried couples are living together. Also, there are a couple of gay men, one with a boyfriend, but again, no “actions” are taken or spoken about. The only thing I caught was a mention of “pillow talk” at one point, the attractiveness of someone’s thighs, and an engaged woman makes out with a man she’s not engaged to (offscreen). So I really appreciate how “clean” the romance was in this book.

The one thing I didn’t care for, and the main reason I won’t read any more books in this series, is the language. It wasn’t all over the place, but it definitely sunk my interest in the book. There were 8 uses of h-ll, 2 uses of b–tard, 3 uses of b–ch, 2 uses of bloody, 1 use of sh-t, and 2 uses of d–n. So, really not my cup of tea in that department.

This book also has some models in it who are described as really thin, and some of their comments may be triggering to some people.

If these things don’t bother you, then you’ll probably really enjoy this book and the previous one as well. (You can also get a prequel to the first book by signing up for her newsletter.)
I'm enjoying this series.  Daisy is a wonderful character with great friends.  She's very down to earth and doesn't come off as pushy or know it all.  In this book Daisy trips over a body outside the back door of her salon.  Turns out to be a customer and someone that Daisy isn't crazy about.  When the murder weapon turns out to belong to Daisy and her DNA is all over Daisy's coat and gloves, she becomes the prime suspect.  Can Daisy and her friends solve the mystery and keep Daisy from going to jail?  The mystery is good and I love the relationship between Daisy and the DCI.  A good, fun read.  I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher and voluntarily chose to review it.
Daisy Thorne is the owner of the Ooh La La Hair Salon in the small village of Edgemead in Surrey, England. She is also studying Criminology on the side. A year ago she helped a handsome detective solve the murder of her best friend's mom. Now she is thrown back into investigating a new case but this one hits really close to home when a client is found outside the back door of her salon late on a Saturday night with Daisy's shears sticking in her back. And Daisy is the one who found Melanie. She called DCI Paul McGuinness right away. It gets worse when Melanie's DNA is found on Daisy's gloves and coat. Melanie is a mean person and has been since secondary school. So there are a lot of people who might have been interested in killing her, including the wife of the man with whom she is having an affair. Daisy enlists her staff to help her weed out possible suspects since Paul has threatened her to stay out of it. The list includes anyone who was in the salon that day in order to retrieve Daisy's shears. This is a great addition to the series and kept me guessing to the end. The ending was a definite surprise to me and made it all the more fun. I am looking forward to reading more about Daisy, her friends, and the handsome detective.
I received a complimentary ARC from Kensington Books and NetGalley. All thoughts expressed are mine only.