Cover Image: Love & Other Natural Disasters

Love & Other Natural Disasters

Disclaimer: I recieved this ARC in exchange for an honest review from @NetGalley.

This book is a sapphic fake dating with an Asian protagonist. This is perfect for fans of Jenny Han and Becky Albertalli. Nozami is hired as a girlfriend to make Willow's ex jealous.  But things get tricky when fake friends turns into a real romance.
NetGalley ARC Educator 550974

Be wary of love. It can sting. It can change you and it can also cause you to fall.

This is a book about love, change, family, friendship and deception. The story is a good one. Characters of all ages, facing life's challenges with human consequences.
'Love and Other Natural Disasters' is a YA rom-com novel centering around Nozomi Nagai, who has moved to San Francisco for the summer. Determined to date the girl of her dreams, Willow, she agrees to fake date her in order to make willows ex-girlfriend jealous - but Nozomi has a plan of her own to make Willow fall in love with her for real.
Personally, I was not a fan of Sugirua's debut novel 'It's Not Like It's A Secret,' so I cam into this novel with relatively now expectations. I could not be more thrilled with how this sophomore novel turned out! This book is not only fun to read, but can make the reader think without being overly preachy. Central conflicts include an unaccepting grandmother, divorced parents, affairs, and dementia. This book finds a way to tackle all these issues seamlessly without detracting form the central romance plot, which is really what we're all here for.
I love the representation in this book: the main character and love interest are asian, as well as another asian character and a black character. The book tackles themes of racism subtly, without delving heavily into the politics of racial justice as much as 'It's Not Like It's a Secret' does, something that I think makes the book flow amazingly while keeping dynamic realism.
All in all, I think this book has amazing flow, and depicts teenagers in a way that is authentic to the modern experience. Nothing about this book is groundbreakingly amazing, which is why i would rate this book 4/5 stars, however I definitely suggest this read for anybody who wants a fluffy fake dating rom-com to get them through their summer.