Cover Image: Why Do I Feel Like This?

Why Do I Feel Like This?

By the time I hit the 10% mark in “Why Do I Feel Like This?”, by Peace Amadi, I knew I’d love the book but I couldn’t rush it! This is deep, hard work, thought-provoking and challenging. Each chapter explores thoroughly one element of mental health and emotional well-being. It is not a “band-aid on a bullet wound” approach, but a holistic, soulful one, written from personal experience and with professional wisdom.

“This expectation [that experiencing person in emotion pain can snap out of it] can lead to a sort of spiritual gaslighting where the reality and gravity of someone’s pain is met with a subtle message that says if you really walked with God, or if you really had enough faith, you wouldn’t be feeling this way. Again, we deserve better.”
Integrating her understanding of psychology with faith, Peace eloquently unpacks big topics such as spiritual bypassing, grief, depression, anxiety, confidence, courage and self-worth. Each is explained, held in her hands and valued, and then ways to move forward are offered. I especially appreciated her definitions, which left me chewing over them and reflecting on them for days.

“Now, worry does have its place. It’s a catalyst for problem solving in situations that truly need a solution,”
This isn’t a prescription to “get well” but an outstretched hand offering help on a journey. Reading this book challenged me but I highly recommend it! It’s a five out five on the enJOYment scale

I received a complimentary copy of the book from InterVarsity Press through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Why Do I Feel This Way? By Peace Amadi is book that details human emotions from a Biblical perspective.  Ms. Amadi has a background in the mental health field and knows her stuff.  I found the book informative and appreciated the Biblical world view.  If you are looking for a book that deals with mental health with a Biblical world view, this book may interest you.  Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read this book!  (This review is also on GoodReads.)
I really enjoyed this book. We all have emotions and knowing how to navigate them is always helpful. This was very enjoyable and I highlighted quite a bit while reading. I’m sure I’ll reread certain parts of this in the future.