Cover Image: The Road Trip

The Road Trip

This book felt like it dragged on. Rodney’s character was hilarious and just for him the book gets an extra star but I would have liked more explanation of his obsession with cherry. The switching between then and now got to be a little much at times. It’s hard to say why this book just didn’t do it for me like her others did.
Beth O'Leary's books are full of characters that are distinct and you grow to care for. The Road Trip follows two timelines; now, Addie and Dylan are road tripping together to a friend's wedding despite an emotional breakup and then, the course of Addie and Dylan's relationship. Beth O'Leary does a great job of progressing both stories and managing not to give away the climax of one story while telling the other.

After hearing so many great things about Beth O'Leary, I was hyped to receive an ARC of The Road Trip. And Dear Reader, she did not disappoint!

Four years ago, Dylan and Addie met at Cherry, a friend’s, French villa - Addie was the summer caretaker and Dylan showed up for a family vacation that didn’t happen quite as planned. Two years ago, it all ended and they haven’t spoken since.

On her way to Cherry’s wedding, Dylan literally runs into Addie in a fender bender. This means all five passengers are now crammed into a Mini and trying to make it to the wedding on time,

The story unfolds with flashbacks so we learn more about Dylan and Addie as we watch them cope with the awkward and often humorous logistics of the road trip. Second chance, forced proximity love at its finest. So much heartwarming goodness in this book! Is it madcap? Hell, yes! Is it zany? Maybe implausible? Sure. Did I love it with laughter and even the occasional tear as Dylan and Addie sorted out their feelings and lives? Oh most definitely yes!

There are some serious issues about mental health, family relationships, and workplace sexual harassment but the author skillfully wove those into the story balancing them with the more madcap moments.

Beth O’Leary does what she does best - we got engaging, quirky characters, lots of sparkling and witty banter, some very humorous situations, a bit of high drama, and some incredibly heartwarming and moving moments. I’m excited to read more other books!
Unfortunately this was a DNF at 40%. Something just didn’t jive for me. The characters weren’t developed, the relationships were forced and weird, and I just didn’t even care about their second chance trope.
My first read by Beth O'Leary and it did not disappoint!

The second chance romance trope is my favorite and this story gave my heart all the feels. I was sucked in and didn't want to put this book down. This was the romance I have been wanting for a while now. I loved all the dynamics: how we get both Addie's and Dylan's point-of-view and past and present stories. It kept everything intriguing and created a definite page-turner of a book.

From the cover and genre, I wasn't expecting so much angst, but I was so there for it! My heart fluttered, then shattered, then repaired itself, and now I'm off to read the rest of O'Leary's books!
3.5
I really loved Beth O'Leary's first two books so was excited to read The Road Trip. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much. There are some complicated character relationships and issues here, but some of the characters are stereotypical or cliche (Dylan's father and his purely cold persona; Rodney who is a boring individual turned to an uninvited/dangerous wedding guest) and some of the actions taken by the characters (Marcus following/spying on Addie, Etienne going from friendly and encouraging to evil) were hard to accept at face value. While I know that plot lines and characters are created for humor and the flow of the story; some of these were distracting and didn't work for me. However as in O'Leary's previous works, there are sweet romantic scenes and convincing passages of dialogue between characters. I also appreciated O'Leary's effort to cover complicated issues that can occur between a friend and a significant other (or anytime there are multiple/diverse personalities). Overall The Road Trip is entertaining and kept me turning the pages, but fell short of The Flatshare and The Switch.
After recently reading The Switch by Beth O’Leary, I was so excited to have the chance to read The Road Trip.  I was expecting a light romantic comedy with charming characters and instead it seemed like a long haul.  A wedding road trip turned into a sad she said, he said, failed relationship story.  Characters that seemed likeable enough at first glance revealed a dark side as the story progressed.   Even an additional character that seemingly was a funny addition ended up having an undesirable backstory.
With the time changes between Then and Now coupled with the narrator switch, sometimes it was difficult to discern when the story was taking place and who was narrating it.  Although it had a happy ending it took far too long to get there for me.
Addie and her sister are on a long-awaited road trip to a friend’s wedding in Scotland when a car slams into the back of theirs. The driver of the now totaled car is none other than Addie’s ex, Dylan, who is also heading to the wedding with his best friend. Addie has no choice but to offer them a ride, and the car is soon jam-packed full of baggage, both physical and emotional. With 300 hundred miles to go, Addie and Dylan have no choice but to confront their very messy history and devastating break-up. Will they make it to the wedding? Is this the end of the road for Addie and Dylan? And who really is Rodney, the rando that posted on the wedding Facebook group asking for a lift to the wedding?

First off, what a premise! This was my first time reading a book that combined a road trip and a second chances trope, and it was absolutely delightful. I could not put it down. Here are some things that I loved about it:

- It’s a classic British rom com, full of dry humor, completely ridiculous situations, and a charming cast of characters.

- The motley road trip crew, including Addie’s breastfeeding sister, Deb, Dylan’s slightly psychotic friend, Marcus, and Rodney, the tragically lovable rando.

- The dual timeline, which gives us a glimpse into Addie and Dylan’s past when they fell in love and when they broke up.

- Beth O’Leary’s writing style. She masterfully weaves in humor with some heavy subject matter. It touches on mental health, family acceptance, found family, and workplace sexual violence. This one was definitely a bit more serious than her previous two books.
A road trip to a wedding brings exes back into proximity and a chance to rekindle things. Addie is traveling to a wedding in Scotland and the trip has barely begun before her car is hit by another - being driven by her ex Dylan who is going to the same wedding. They haven't seen each other since their bad breakup two years ago, and needless to say this isn't a great way to meet again. Dylan and his best friend are now rideless and Addie feels like she has no choice but to invite them along. With a long trip ahead of them and crowded spaces, Addie and Dylan have no choice but to confront each other - and their past. But at the end of the road, will there be a second chance awaiting them. Or will they even make it there?

A cute story of exes and the fresh start of a road trip, this makes great summer reading that will make readers want to jump in the car.
I really thought, for most of this book, that I was going to like it. But then some things were revealed at the end that I did NOT like, and also, upon reflection, many things throughout it I didn’t like either.

Here are a few things that worked: The prose was very evocative, and especially in the past timeline, atmospheric. Most of the characters were really distinct, and the tension between Addie and Dylan in the present timeline was potent.

I had problems with everything else. Let’s get into it.
-It seemed like we were working towards a kind of redemption arc for one of the characters in the present timeline, but when you find out what this character did??? Excuse me??? NO.
-Addie’s characterization, especially in the past timeline, was so weird. I didn’t have any sense of her personality. And the way she’s described, like, “darkly sexual” (?) by another character….UGH I HATE IT.
-Dylan and Addie have total and complete insta-love in the past timeline. It makes very little sense.
-Mild spoilers but I don’t care….Stalking is seen as, like, a not awesome but also not serious thing in this book? There are a couple instances of stalking, with different characters, and can I just go on the record and say stalking is CREEPY and I AM NOT A FAN.
-I am also, personally, tired of the Male MC’s Rich Dad Is A Homophobic Asshole and Also General Asshole trope.
In the beginning, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book, but then I found myself unable to put it down.

Dylan and Addie were deeply in love. Something happens that makes them have to break up even though they still love each other. Four years later, they accidentally meet and end up on a road trip to a mutual friend's wedding. They discover how much the other has changed during the journey, except their feelings haven't.

The story of Dylan and Addie is woven through the road trip. This worked well because they might love each other, but their relationship was not working. It reminded me of watching a car crash video. You know that there will be a crash so you can see the problems. Dylan and Addie had many issues that stemmed from them having issues with themselves. It was interesting to be annoyed at how Dylan acted in the past and then see him change in the future.

The road trip itself was pretty zany and full of surprises.

This review is based on an advanced reader copy provided through Netgalley for an honest review.
This was such a fun and sweet story. Don’t get me wrong, it had trials, tribulations and heartbreak, but I loved it!

O’Leary has such a wonderful way of creating characters that are so fun and you can’t help but love them. This was no exception. I loved all of them, including awkward Rodney! All the mishaps along the way of this road trip were hysterical and worked so well for the situations and characters.

I’ve loved her books before, and this one only solidified why I do! I’ll continue counting down the days until her new releases.
I loved The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary and wanted to love The Road Trip so bad. I was really excited to read it but unfortunately, I finished it feeling disappointed and was disappointed for most of the reading journey. I recently bought The Switch by Beth O'Leary and I am still excited to read it. So, I am treating this as a one off miss.

The Road Trip follows Addie and her sister as they embark on what is described as an epic road trip to a friend's wedding in the north of Scotland. But, not long after setting off, a car slams into the back of theirs. The driver is none other than Addie's ex, Dylan, who she's avoided since their traumatic break-up two years earlier. Dylan and his best mate Marcus are heading to the wedding too and ended up having to take the road trip with Addie because he Mini miraculous survived the crash and Marcus’ Mercedes was totaled.

The book jumps from the present day road trip to the past highlighting when Addie and Dylan met.

What I liked:
- Addie and Dylan met in an idyllic French town and I enjoyed the descriptions and could picture this amazing location
- I liked some aspects of Addie and Dylan's relationship in the sections covering the past
-  As a huge Country music fan, I related to the country music references throughout and Addie's love of Country music

What I Didn't Like:
- The characters. I don’t know if I have ever read a book that had so many characters this dislikeable. Marcus was more of a main character and I really disliked him, and he got way too much spotlight for a character so unlikeable. I didn't connect with the secondary characters and Addie and Dylan were not enough to make up for that. The secondary characters that could have been likeable were not developed to the point where I could hang on to them.

The plot wasn't enough to make up for the characters for me unfortunately.

This is a 2.5 stars for me.

Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing Group for an ARC. This book is available on June 1, 2021 if you are not as character driven as I am.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy.

I enjoyed the author’s previous books and was looking forward to this. Unfortunately it was a bit of a rough read. I didn’t feel like I was enjoying the story until about 60% in. There were a lot of characters and backstory and it felt like it was all over the place.
Beep beep, it’s time for a road trip!! 🚘

This was my first Beth O’Leary book and I was so excited to read this one after hearing nothing but amazing things about The Flatshare and The Switch!

A second chance romance is typically one of my favourite tropes but I felt this one lacked the charm and sexual tension and ultimately I just never got the connection I was hoping for to either of the main characters.

However, I did still enjoy the book and was completely engaged throughout it! I really liked the supporting cast and found them to be extremely fun and humorous! I’m also a big fan of duel timelines and I relished in the chapters that dove into Addie and Dylan’s past relationship.

In conclusion, I still found this to be an enjoyable and super cute read that I recommend you checking out!

3.5 stars rounded to 4

The Road Trip was an entertaining novel, but I wasn't quite prepared for how emotional and heavy it would be. From the blurb, I thought it was going to be a second chance romantic comedy, but it dove into some very serious issues and I don't think the romance aspect ever really fully developed.

I thought the Then and Now timelines worked well to piece together Dylan and Addie's history, but the overall pace of the novel was a bit slow. Things really started to speed up in the last third, however, making the ending feel very rushed. As much as I enjoyed the writing, I needed more chemistry and connection to believe Addie and Dylan's instalove and to root for their HEA. I understand that that zero to sixty progression and the subsequent lack of communication was part of their character arcs, but I just didn't feel their love. The friendships were very complex in this novel and I'm still not sure how to feel about Marcus and his redemption. The terrible cycle of dependency and toxicity gave the book a much darker and serious tone that overshadowed any humor that Deb or Rodney brought to the book. Deb is the only character who I truly loved and cared for. Beth O'Leary's amazing writing kept me reading, but sadly, I didn't love this one as much as I had hoped.

CW: depression, alcoholism, sexual assault, stalking, emotional abuse, drug use

*I voluntarily read an advance review copy of this book*
For me, this book recaptured some of the elements that made O'Leary's Flatshare so great. There was romance and humor but also poignancy and depth so it never became overly saccharine or shallow.  I thought O'Leary created a great cast of mostly realistic characters and the alternating timelines kept me reading to find out both what happened between Addie and Dylan in the past and what will happen when they reach their destination.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Review of The Road Trip by Beth O’Leary

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

What a charming read. Beth O’Leary does it again with a sweet romance with amazing characters. My two favorite characters in this one were Rodney (the funny ride a long on the trip) and Deb (Addie’s sister).

Addie and her sister Deb along with a man named Rodney set off on a road trip to Scotland for their friend Cherry’s wedding. They have snacks, good music, and are having a great time when they are suddenly rear- ended in a gas station parking lot. The offender is none other than Addie’s ex boyfriend, Dylan, who broke her heart. He and his best friend, Marcus, are also traveling to Cherry’s wedding, and so they offer them a ride.

The book alternates between when their romance first began in France and to the present time when it’s clear they have unresolved feelings. I really enjoyed the alternating timelines.

I really enjoyed this book and Beth O’Leary is an auto buy author for me. Thank you so much to @netgalley, @penguinrandomhouse.
I think this is my favorite O’Leary book! This is my third of hers and I really have enjoyed the other two, but this one was different. It was filled with anxiety and wonder. I kept wanting to know what happened to Addie and Dylan. It was like The Hangover where things just kept going wrong, one thing after the other. All while there is this tension in the air the whole time. When I started, I didn’t want to stop. I really loved Addie’s character and all the female characters, actually. I loved the character development of most of the characters in the book and their journey. I really enjoyed this read and I hope you do, too.

Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley publishing  for my eARC In exchange for my honest review.
CW/TW: homophobic parent, alcoholism, alcohol/drug use, pregnancy, sexual assault

The Road Trip is Beth O’Leary’s third novel and explores the relationship between Dylan and Addie through two timelines, then and now. Dylan and Addie cross paths for the first time in two years after they get into a car accident on the way to a mutual friend’s wedding. Because of the car accident, Dylan and Addie, along with a motley crew consisting of Addie’s sister, Dylan’s best friend, and a random acquaintance of the bride, are forced to drive together to the wedding. This was my first O’Leary book I have read and, believe me, it did not disappoint. From what I gathered from the press surrounding this book, this is supposed to be O’Leary’s first foray into true romance after writing two contemporary fiction novels where romance takes the back seat (no pun intended). I have a feeling that many romance purists won’t consider this to be romance, but, as a romance reader, I absolutely loved this book and couldn’t put it down. Addie and Dylan’s relationship arc felt very true to life and was heartbreaking when I found out the reason behind their split. The other characters in the novel, predominantly those that are in the car on the titular road trip, are also well-developed in a way that you don’t often see in the romance genre. As per genre conventions for romance, this book does explore the sexual relationship between the two main characters, however, these scenes aren’t necessarily closed-door or fully explicit. Because of this, I feel as though this might be a good starting off point for someone who is new to the romance genre. I loved this book and it makes me excited to make my way through O’Leary’s backlist. I have no doubt that this novel will be a huge hit and will definitely be nominated for the Goodreads award in the romance category. Rating: 5/5

*Note: I was given an E-ARC from Berkley Pub and NetGalley to review