Cover Image: An Earl, the Girl, and a Toddler

An Earl, the Girl, and a Toddler

I do not regret the time I spent with this book but it also was not the most gripping romance I've read this year. I think the perspective of BIPOC characters is sorely lacking in Regency romance, let alone in books by BIPOC authors like this one, and that aspect was very refreshing. This book is clearly exceptionally well researched. However, I was as bothered by the shift between third and first person between chapters as I was in the first book in this series and I never really connected to the main characters or rooted for them to be together.
I was under the impression that this was a standalone, unfortunately I haven't read the first book, nor do I have intention to try and get the first book actually now. I wished it were a bit more clear
A bundle of secrets ...

My first read by the author was not an easy one, going back and forth between one’s people mind to third person then back to first, but after a time I adjusted.
And while I thought I would feel less confused here, as I already knew the author’s style, I was very wrong.
I nearly gave up after the first third of the book, unable to comprehend the story, what is truly that Widow’s Grace society, what they really do and the characters left me cold while I should have rooted to their very legitimate and heartbreaking plights.
So put it down and after a night of sleep, I picked it up again.
So I was able to piece things together, yet it is a very confusing read.
Each is unable to trust the other, and by doing so they damage their relationship.
Daniel went to considerable mean to bury things he wanted to never be found, so he will do his worst to never see them unearthed.
Jemina lived through an horrific experience, robbed from everything after having lost even her identity. And while she can’t recall anything, she wants to find who she has been and while certain feelings about loss never leave her when she has no memory about herself.

I came to like Daniel, he is not an easy fellow to appreciate but for those he loves he will go to great lengths to protect them. He is a man facing adversity and other’s judgement his chin high and an apparent coolness.
Jemina is a blank page with a temper, I had more problems to discern her and by the end, I was not sure liked her. And while I could never understand the heartbreak she survived, I never truly warmed her. Too determined in her quest, very selfish in her way to face her problems.
3 stars

𝗦𝘁𝗲𝗮𝗺 𝗹𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹 some kisses

I have been granted an advance copy by the publisher Kensington, here is my true and unbiased opinion.
I really wanted to like this book. The premise looked interesting, and the characters had unusual backgrounds. Unfortunately, it just didn’t work for me. I found myself very confused for the first part of the book about what was actually going on, and the relationships between the main characters didn’t really make sense to me. There was about 10 kg of plot crammed into a 2 kg bag, only adding to my bafflement. I had the sense that there was a lot of background in the first romance in this series, and that without it, I lacked crucial context.
The story did improve in the second half of the book, perhaps because I had picked up enough backstory by then for it to make sense, and the romance was quite sweet. I really liked Daniel, and I appreciated that the amnesia plot was approached in a far more realistic way than I've seen it done before, with the emotional nuances and impacts teased out. It was also clear that the author has done a phenomenal amount of research about the lives of people of colour and of disabled people in Regency London, which was very cool.
In short, there were all sorts of fascinating and unusual ideas in this book, and I really, really, wish they had come together a bit more coherently. But I'm sorry to say that the story really did not work as a standalone.
Vanessa Riley is a wonderful new to me author. This is the 2nd book of this author that I have read and I found this to be an enjoyable book. I will continue to read this author and look forward to the next book.
Sweet Regency romance! After surviving a shipwreck, Jemina has no memory of her past. But she suspects barrister Daniel is keeping information from her. Can the two trust each other long enough to discover the truth about her identity?

This fresh, original novel has a brilliantly complex plot. It's as much historical fiction as romance. It deals head-on with issues of race and patriarchy, but they never dominate the story. This is about two smart, courageous, determined people taking control of their destiny and protecting those they love.

Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC I received. This is my honest and voluntary review.
I absolutely love the way this is written and love the concept, but it was a bit hard for me to get into without the first book to establish the world. I’ll be returning to this once I read the first book.
Okay, so I feel like this one did  catch/hold my attention  as much as book one did. I found yself skimming at time, but the storyline was still intriguing. Not sure if it was my mood but I felt this one dragged a teeny bit. But I did enjoy the whole concept of the Widows, and Daniel's frustration with Jemina getting involved in shenanigans and breaking into his office.

I also really like that the hero was Black (Blackamoor) because we always need more black heroes in historical romance! And not only that, his friends group consisted of mainly other black men/men of colour as well. More of that in historical romance too please! We also get a look at how Daniel navigates society at that time. He's wealthy and a barrister but of course there are those in society who will not accept a black man regardless of his money/job.

The author also included some useful notes at the end as I didn't realize alot of the persons mentioned in this book were real people in history.

I did feel at times as if the back and forth between Jemina and Daniel was going around in circles too much and wanted it wrapped up. while I get that Jemina is trying to figure out her past, who she really is, and is a bit unsure if she can trust Daniel it kept going: unsure, ok i trust him, hmm idk if i believe what he's saying back to trust/love. A bit frustrating at times but I wanted to stick this out as  was still curious as to who Jemina would actually turn out to be.

The series is pretty interesting so I'll definitely be wanting to read the next book.
Jemina St. Maur remembers nothing from her life after waking up in Bedlam when she’s recovered from a shipwreck. Daniel Thackery was at the dock that day too hoping to find his wife had survived, but instead found her baby daughter. While Jemina knows Daniel is keeping something from her, they can’t fight their attraction for each other.

With romance, twists, and a little mystery this book was really enjoyable and I finished it in one sitting.

*I was provided an ARC from @netgalley and the publisher for my honest review
This was such a sweet historical romance between two people who thought they lost all that ever mattered to them only to eventually find each other. It was also full of some awesome women and lots of spy-level intrigue. This is the 2nd in the Rogues and Remarkable Women series but can be read as a stand alone. This book made some very big strides in addressing race, gender, and class disparities for the era by shining big bright lights on them. Without giving out any spoilers, the book demonstrated how easily privilege could be taken away from a women or a black man if the right people caused a commotion.

The story takes place two years after a terrible shipwreck that left only two survivors one of which is Jemina St. Maur who suffers from total amnesia. She is a strong, independent, and spends her evenings on various missions for Widows Grace (a group of women who help other widows regain control of their money and/or custody of their children). She was thoroughly a fun character to read not only because the amnesia gave her a heir of mystery but also because she was overall a total badass wearing pants and climbing freaking buildings in the cover of dark.

The new Earl is also a barrister who helps the Widows Grace whenever he can get away with it. It seems like his life’s goal is to quietly maintain the status quo in keeping his family name and his daughter safe.

It was told in both first and third person which took a bit of adjusting as I read and I’d say that there was a very good mix of witty banter between Daniel and Jemina with lots of cool mystery spy sleuthing peppered in. I had a hard time relating to the character of Hope, Daniel’d toddler, but I imagine it is nearly impossible to create a strong 3 dimensional toddler character but she played a fairly substantial role in moving the plot forward.
An Earl, the Girl, and a Toddler by Vanessa Riley is a sweet read that is everything historical fiction readers look for. There is so much to learn reading this sweet and dramatic story. I loved that there is a puzzle and a mystery to piece together. It does take me a chapter or two to get into the flow of these books and some first person POV.

I loved the first book in the series and have been eagerly awaiting the next in series. I highly recommend reading the first so you will have a background on the previous characters and also the The Widow’s Grace. A group of widows who help the down trodden in legal and stealthy ways.

Back to An Earl, the Girl, and a Toddle. Jemina is the lead in this book and has quite a backstory. Suffering from amnesia after a shipwreck on board the Minerva. She is thrown into Bedlam and later rescued by The Widows’ Grace with the aid of Barrister Daniel (now an Earl and our other lead). Jemina is close friends and lives with Patience (the heroine from Book 1). In this work she is slowly piecing together memories and making amends with who she is now.

Daniel is the nephew to the head of The Widow’s Grace and a barrister. He has inherited an Earldom from his Uncle and has been piecing together his own mystery from the Shipwreck of the Minerva. The shipwreck left him a widower with a toddler daughter to care for.

What I love most about Riley’s writing is the historical elements that offer a fresh perspective for POC living at that time. Race, Women’s rights and mental health are all big elements of this book.

Thank you so much to #Netgalley and #Kensington for the early read. I can’t wait for the next in series!

#VanessaRiley #AnEarltheGirlandaToddler #NetGalley
I received an ARC from the publisher and am voluntarily posting a review. All opinions are my own.

An Earl, the Girl, and a Toddler is the second in Vanessa Riley’s Rogues and Remarkable Women series. It works more or less as a stand-alone, although there are some overarching elements with the Widow’s Grace that do make the story richer when read in order.

Just like the first book, this is told in a mix of first and third person, and I think it worked a little better this time around. There seemed to be more of a purpose to the first person style for Jemina, as the plot revolves around her having amnesia. I still felt it left Daniel’s POV feeling a bit disjointed, but generally, the flow was better this time around.

I also really liked the characters and their relationship. Both really stood out due to being BIPOC during the Regency, even while also being part of the upper classes, so it was interesting to explore the intersection of the two. I loved Daniel’s care for his young stepdaughter and how Jemina over time became part of their little found-family unit as well. Riley tends to take her time fleshing out the romance, especially as she’s known for writing on the sweeter end of the spectrum, but just as she always does, she made me feel the love between her characters and root for them amidst all the obstacles thrown at them.

And Riley’s dedication to weaving in historical detail remains exceptional. I always come away from her books having learned something, and this was no different, as she unpacked everything from women’s uneasy place in society to race in the Regency to some historical figures who have largely existed on the margins of history and played some role in inspiring the content of the book.

This is another fabulous book from Vanessa Riley. If you’re looking for a more racially diverse take on Regency romance.
I gave this a 3 hearts rating since I did enjoy but there were some too dramatic parts for me. Jemina as a character is always lead by her emotions which does not bode well with me. She is very brave which I like about her. Also, her not remembering anything in her past was the leverage she needed to want to know things. However, her past first before anything else for her. I just wished that she tried to listen to the earl and talk it out. In the end, it was good to see that she was the first to want the old romantic relationship again. All in all, this was more dramatic and action-packed than the first and I like it a lot.
This book had a really good story at its base. I'm not sure if was due to formatting but the story was absolutely all over the place. It jumped so much that at times I wasn't sure who was talking or what characters were in the scene. That aside I did really like the book and the characters and look forward to trying more Vanessa Riley books in the future.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review.
As I've matured, my reading list has expanded to other authors and other settings and I like a good Regency romp or Victorian escape - fluff pieces, often, but easy to read and distracting from the laundry baskets piling up around me or the never ending emails flooding my inbox.   When I saw An Earl, the Girl, and a Toddler by Vanessa Riley I was intrigued.   I jumped in thinking it would, once again, just be a bit of mindless drivel - enjoyable but not impactful.  Oh, but how I was mistaken.  I should have paid more attention to the publisher's notes.

One comment I think important to note is that I don’t think the comparison to Bridgerton is fair. Ms. Riley has created a well-crafted world in her own right, worthy of its own success. While both series are remarkable, they are not the same, although I can see how fans of the Bridgertons will enjoy the Rogues & Remarkable Women Series – with less, um, heaving bosoms. Both authors are talented and acclaimed.

In reviewing this novel itself, I say there was a depth of emotion and feeling that I didn’t expect. It was full of high-stakes drama and flawed but likeable characters. And a ferocity – oh the ferocity and strength – were balanced with heartbreak, humour, and romance. Motherhood, strong women, unfair societal constraints, prejudice, loss – this title had it all along with danger and daring. What I particularly noted was a lack of ‘skip scenes’ – all the steam was closed-door – so no objectionable content for anyone trying to avoid blatant intimacy. (I will note that this is actually one of the complaints I’m seeing from other reviewers – not everyone wants a “clean read” but this novel didn’t need intimate scenes. There was heat and chemistry between the characters but it’s not in-your-face. To each their own.)

Best of all, in a world where representation matters, Riley delivers a beautiful story with diversity and multi-culturalism as an #OwnVoices author. I enjoyed this title so much that I then went and bought the previous title in the series (but know this title can be read as a standalone) and have flagged Riley as a must-read author as I work my way through her backlist. What an enjoyable adventure that will be!

My thanks to Kensington Books for the Advanced Readers Copy via NetGalley. This title will be published April 27th and if you’re a fan of Regency romance, you should probably check it out! While I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, all opinions are my own.
I'm gonna start this off saying I requested this book before reading the first one, "The Duke, The Lady, and a Baby,"
 and when I tried to read that first I didn't get nearly as engrossed as I did in this one. I might go back now and try again.

I did very much enjoy this, though at times it was so frustrating! Jemina was at times not as likable as she could've been. Like I understood a few things that would've made her be mad at Daniel but by the end when it KEPT happening it started to feel like conflict just to make the book longer.

I loved, love, LOVED Daniel. Just everything about Daniel. As I've said I knew nothing about the character before this and some of the backstory I probably would've understood better if I had read the first book but I loved him so very much. I wanted him to be happy and that lead to the frustration of how wishy-washy Jemina was at times.

I was expecting the ending about Jemina's past to be different but I wasn't entirely disappointed. I did overall enjoy this one, just not as much as I could've I think given I'd read the first.

Recommended.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for letting me read this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Thank you to Kensington Books and Netgalley for the ARC to read and review.

Having read the first book in this series, I'm sad to say this one was DNF for me.  There was just a barrier, perhaps from the writing style, that kept me from connection with the characters.

I applaud Vanessa Riley for bringing us the stories of racial diversity in Regency period, and highlighting the treatment of those racially diverse peoples and of women during this period as well.  Treatment of Mental illness is also a part of this book.  Lots of truths in this book, but I couldn't feel the romance part of it.
I have been really excited about Vanessa Riley's Rogues and Remarkable Women series: historical romance with racially diverse characters, people of color in particular Black people as members of the peerage, discussions of mental health and trauma. Riley really creates well rounded characters that are bucking the tradition (and misconception) that 1800s England had no Black people.

Overall, I enjoyed this. It was really interesting to see Jemina's growth, understand her past and her future. There were some slow back and forths, some slow story lines, and some stale dialogue that made my slog through it a bit. What I really wanted to know was who Jemima was and how Daniel was involved and it took a bit to get to that reveal. Daniel was such an interesting character - a Blackamoor who now has a title and experiences racism and microaggressions daily. Some of the physical descriptions were a bit muddy, specifically for Daniel and Jemina, but I loved the discussion of being in an interracial relationship. I did want a bit more chemistry from them - know this is a closed door romance as well so the steaminess is off the page!

Overall, I would highly recommend this for folx who love history, love romance, and love a seriously researched historical romance.

Thank you to Kensington Books for my advanced copy to review!
Jemina Was saved from a ship wreck between Jamaica and Portsmouth, put in Bedlam and saved by Daniel Thackery who is now the Earl of Ashbrook. She has worked for the Widow's Grace. Jemina has amnesia so her memory starts with her trip to Bedlam. Jemina and Daniel are in love but reserved about admitting it to each other. His daughter who was also rescued from the wreck and has been with him ever since is really Jemina's daughter and they feel the connection as soon as they are together. Now Daniel needs to save both of his girls from being hurt or taken from him.
Jemina is in Bedlam- she lost everything when the Minerva went down, including her memory.  She didn't expect to be rescued by Daniel Thackery, who works for the Widow's Grace, an organization bent on righting wrongs against women.  He recently gained the earldom but he's struggling with more than that.  His finance was also on the ship and he didn't know that she had a daughter - who is now his.  Or is she?  While he helps Jemina, they fall, as one might expect, for one another but there' something else there.  No spoilers but you, like me, might guess the true story of Hope.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  I enjoyed the first book but think this will be fine as a standalone.   There might not be any big surprises, but it's a spritely new take on the Regency romance.