Cover Image: The Beautiful Fall

The Beautiful Fall

THE BEAUTIFUL FALL by Hugh Breakey follows Robbie who loses his memory every 179 days and with twelve days left before his next forgetting, a girl named Julie comes to his life and changes everything. This novel definitely wasn’t for me at all even though I really liked the premise of this book. It took 1/3 of the book for something intereting to happen and even then the love story seemed extremely annoying. Charachters just went back and forth between trusting each other, loosing the trust, slamming doors, kissing, ignoring one another. I did not care for their story at all. Also the ending seemed incomplete and rushed.
Thank you to Text Publishing and NetGalley for my ARC
Overall, I felt kinda meh about this book.  Not necessarily bad, but not particularly memorable either.  Giving it 2.5/5 Stars.
I thought I would love this concept, but I think it got old pretty quick. Most of it felt repetitive and there didn't seem to be an incentive to keep reading, like I felt like I didn't care too much about the characters. Or maybe the characters didn't seem to care much about themselves. I do think the first part of the book drew me in, and eventually there were some plot twists that I didn't see coming. It wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't super captivating either. Somewhere in between.
I was really intrigued by the premise of this book. I love any book dealing with memories or memory loss. But it was such a drag I couldn't finish it. Way too many descriptions of dominos.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book was okay... I really wanted to like it, but unfortunately it wasn't for me. I was very intrigued by the premise of it all, but it didn't add anything new to the overused trope in media, so as a result I found myself bored for most of this book and just felt it dragged too much. However I can totally see other people loving this.
The Beautiful Fall by Hugh Breakey hooked me in from the first page and then once the epic twist was revealed I kept sneaking time to read it because I had to know how it ended. It’s a gripping exploration of the truth of memories and the power of love. Flawed characters doing their best in an impossible situation help to build the tension in this truly unique tale. Highly recommend.
Imagine that every 179 days you forgot everything-who you are, where you live, who you know. That is life for Robbie. A rare neurological condition causes him to forget everything and everyone. He wrote himself a letter to remind himself of these facts and provided a list of instructions to help him cope. In order to do so he leads a very regimented life and does not talk to anyone if he can help it.  This has been happening for some time now and he spends his days focusing on a seemingly very unusual project. Less than two weeks before the next episode is due, a women name Julie enters his life while delivery his grocery order. How can he get her out of his head and heart before he will forget her? Why does Julie keep returning?

I enjoyed this story and it moves pretty fast and is at times heartbreaking; the premise is very interesting. The ending felt a little abrupt and rushed which leads me to a 3 star rating but it is a likeable book and a bit different from my usual reads. With less introspective from Robbie and a more fleshed out ending this could be a 4 star read.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest feedback.
Hugh Breakey's The Beautiful Fall explores an interesting and innovative concept - a new beginning every 179 days.  Who can you trust?  What has happened before?  A uniquely vulnerable position.  Intriguing but for me the ending was a little drawn out.  But perhaps that is reflective of the messy situation.  Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC for this intriguing new novel.
Think this sounds like a nice light read? I did, and was wrong. From a Text release, of course I expected a little more substance than Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore’s 50 First Dates, but was caught off guard by just how deep and meaningful Hugh Breakey manages to dive in The Beautiful Fall.

"Read this now. Right now. Don’t even think of going near that door. Not until you know what’s going on. Your name is Robert Penfold. Age 31. The apartment you’re standing in is your home: 116 Dornoch Terrace, Brisbane, Australia."

This evocative opening immediately engages readers in Robbie’s plight. His endearingly candid first-person narrative only amplifies the readers’ awareness of the narrow confines of ‘his life’, a period bounded by amnesiac events. That narrow viewpoint cultivates intrigue and suspense – What doesn’t Robbie know? – as does the implicit countdown to the next forgetting.

And while remaining highly accessible, Breakey’s prose displays an appealing flair, most evident in his descriptions of people and settings. Continue reading review: https://www.bookloverbookreviews.com/2021/05/the-beautiful-fall-by-hugh-breakey-review.html
I really wanted to like this, but unfortunately it wasn't for me. I was very intrigued by the premise of Robbie losing his memory every six months, but I didn't feel that it offered much to to the trope (such as in movies like Memento and 50 First Dates.) Unfortunately, I just felt it dragged too much and this one wasn't for me.

Thank you for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!
Thank you NetGalley for the chance of reading this book.

The synopsis gave me such 50 first dates vibes but with the roles reversed.

He is the one who lost his memory, at least every 6 months, so to help himself he write the things down and limit his contact with the outside word but that chances when a girl knocks at his door and he remember her but she has something to hide.

The story is good but the love story since is written by a man isn't thaaaaat romantic but isn't bad.

If you are a fan of 50 first dates, read this one, IMO, way better.
The Beautiful Fall by Hugh Breakey is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late April.

With an intense, direct, attention-locking narrative that demands a reader to heed it, Robert has been preemptively diagnosed with what seems to be a form of Alzheimer's and is near manically fixated on proving to himself minute by minute through journaling and exercising to dispel stress that it's not the case. However, he receives visits from a home delivery person Julie, and it's not long before an unexpected plot twist changes the trajectory of both of their lives.
The plot was good, such an interesting concept, but I think it could’ve been a bit shorter. There were a few plot twists that I didn’t see coming, regarding Julie, and I also didn’t see where the dominoes storyline was going at all.
The ending took a turn I wasn’t expecting, but I wasn’t mad about it, it was kind of nice. I think me not really liking Julie had something to do with expecting something different.

As for the characters, I think my feelings about Robbie are very neutral, he wasn’t the most likable character, but at the same time he wasn’t unlikable either. I get the way he behaved because he was always so confused and lost because he had lost all of his memories, but he did get a bit on my nerves at times.
As for Julie, I did never fully trust her; from minute 1 I knew there was something shady about her, and I think Robbie did too, except we didn’t know what it was until about halfway through.

Overall, I enjoyed the story but at times I felt that it dragged out a little bit.
The idea of your life more or less resetting every 6 months is intriguing and makes for a great premise. I thought the author did a good job of portraying the disorientation, uncertainty, and fear that would go along with such a massive thing like that happening. Add in the MC meeting an interesting woman just days before he’s set to forget again and right away the clock is set. We know the MC only has twelve days to go, with each chapter heading noting the time left. I thought this was a smart way to add a sense of urgency.

In spite of that urgency from the chapter headings, the overall pacing still felt a bit slow. A substantial portion of the story involves setting up dominos and while the significance of the dominos is clear by the end of the story, it felt like it slowed the story down. There is a lot of repetition of waking up, working out, showering, eating, and working on the dominos. While the repetition is true to life, especially under the MC’s circumstances of isolation, it just didn’t make for the most interesting read at times.
3.5-4 stars

I really liked the idea of this book, and it grabbed my attention from the very beginning.

Every 179 days, Robbie loses his memory, and he relies on instructions from his past self to get through his day to day routines. I really liked Robbie’s character and could feel both his loneliness and his apprehension to growing close to others. When Julie first came into the picture, I thought I liked her and that she could help Robbie learn to live a little and come out of his reclusive shell. But when Julie reveals her own secret, her whole demeanor changed, and I understood why Robbie was hesitant to trust her.

This story had a pretty steady buildup, but after all of the climactic scenes, the story seemed to fizzle out and the ending felt a bit rushed. I just wished I had liked it overall as much as I had in the beginning.

Due to a rare neurological condition Robbie loses his memory (approximately) every 179 days.  (Think 50 First Dates, but 179ish days instead of 24 hours.)
He refers to this as "the forgetting" .
Hugh Breakey (The author) never really goes into much detail about his condition, which I found a little disappointing.

Overall, I liked the book.
In some parts it was a little repetitive, and I found myself wondering why he was SO fixated on the dominoes. That does get explained... kind of.
Robbie seemed to be a little bit off when it came to interacting with others.
There were moments with Julie that were sweet, but quite suddenly he would change his mind, or something would happen and he would become defensive or angry and take it out on her.

I don't want to give anything away about their relationship but it would be tough to be in either of their shoes.
My Beautiful Fall is a story about Robert and his recurring amnesia and its a groundhog kind of life for him.
I found it very slow to be quite honest although the blurb did intrigue me. It seemed as though the diary entries he does and his domino obsession was all he was interested in. Every week he gets a food delivery and the lady that delivers it, he strikes up a sort of a friendship with her.
What happens when amnesia strikes again? What messages has he left for himself and how does he cope with starting over again?
It was a totally different story than what I am used to but in all honesty you may like it more. He documents his daily life in anticipation of when the moment strikes and I had no idea what would happen and when.
I really struggled to read this one....
Although slow to start, The Beautiful Fall becomes a beautiful and poetic take on the power of trust.
I really wanted to love this book but it read like a diary and not a lot happened, especially in the beginning.  It was really repetitive, which I guess is to be expected when a guy has to live his life over again every 179 days.

I also found both Robbie and his love interest, Julie very one dimensional. I could definitely tell the author is a philosopher, the book really reads that way. This is kind of like 50 First Dates and Groundhog Day rolled into one, without the wit or humour. And the ending seemed rushed.
Every 179 days Robbie forgets everything. His name. Where he lives. Everyone he knows. And who he is. To cope with the impending memory loss Robbie prepares himself as best as he can; with letters and a journal for his future self, and by living a solitary and very scheduled life.

It was tricky figuring out how I feel about this one. The first sentences had me hooked. Reading the first few paragraphs I was so excited to get lost in Robbie's world. The story starts with Robbie having just 12 days left before he forgets it all and the tension and apprehension is palpable.

And then the dominoes talk begun. Pages and pages and pages of talking about dominoes. It becomes clear quickly that dominoes are very important to Robbie and that he's attempting to set up something very special with thousands of dominoes. But I just did not care. This part of the book really dragged for me.

About halfway through the pace quickens. The dominoes are still there but it's much less in your face. Instead the story now focuses on a woman Robbie has accidentally become friends with - Julie. As there relationship develops, Robbie gets closer and closer to forgetting it all. Each chapter counts down a day, building the sense of urgency and intrigue about what will happen next for Robbie.

My thoughts flipped-flopped on both Julie and Robbie. Sometimes he felt a bit robotic and other times I felt for him. Sometimes I liked Julie, other times she seemed like straight up trouble. Sometimes I rooted for them, and other times I really did not.

In saying that, the book got better and better as it progressed. And I really like the way it ended.

The Beautiful Fall poses some interesting questions around memories and the way memories shape our identity. Who are we really if we don't know anything about ourself and our past? Would we still be the same person if we no longer remembered who that was?

If you're a fan of The Rosie Project you'll probably like this one. It's easy to read, fun in parts and shines a fairly lighthearted look on social interactions between people.