Cover Image: At Home by the Sea

At Home by the Sea

I am a big fan of Pam Weaver"s books. And this book was not an exception. For me this book is about love, growing up, healing and second chance. I like that It is a book about an era which isnt written too much about, the 50s.
I do like the Main character izzie, Even though she started out as a some what weak person. There are a lot of characters in this book, and you get to know them very well through a beautifil written book. Thank you to netgalley for letting me read this e arc in exchange for an honest opinion
What a lovely book, and so atmospheric of the time! The action centres around an Italian ice cream parlour, which is a great setting to start with (ha ha)! Izzie and Giacometti are very believable characters, and Pam Weaver’s stories never get so long that you are fed up in the end of what happens to them!
I have now read all her books, and can totally recommend any of them.
A heartwarming story about second chances.
A broken family…..can they find peace in their life?
A story about how Liz…..will she be able to get over her mothers unexpected abandonment of her sister and her when they were young?
Lots of secrets going on within the story.
Lots of historical information about World War II.
The pace of the book seemed a bit slow but I did enjoy reading it.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Another great book from  Pam Weaver. A Heart gripping book with great characters draws on historical  events and then adds some. So follow Izzie as she tries to accept her parents separation and become Mother to her younger sister. The book reflects the hard life that most families led and the connection to criminals that a few had. So if you like post war fiction and interesting family life then you’ll enjoy this book. I highly recommend this book. Thanks to Pam Weaver, her publisher and NetGalley.
A heartbreaking, gripping and well written historical fiction. I liked the plot and the historical background.
The characters are well developed even if it took me some time to warm up to Izzie.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
At Home by the Sea is a very well written historical novel.  A great plot with good character dynamics.  I recommend this book.
This is a warm story about love, betrayal, family, and internal healing.
I believe the family in this book could have been happy but the father’s attitude – his hate ruined everything.

It all started in 1940 when 12 years old Izzie overheard her parents arguments. In that late-night, her mother ran out. And never returned. She was taken to a mental institution shortly after that.

As for Izzie and her sister Linda, things changed. They were taken to their grandparents house on a farm where they lived for a short time. Then they were brought back to the city by their father.

I adore Izzie’s character. I believe she’s a strong and smart girl. Even when her father stopped her from continuing her education she worked, earning some money which she used to enroll in a school. The attitude of her dad and sister were so annoying I felt it was better for her to leave the house. They would leave all the chores for her and she didn’t complain. It was just too much. She also fought hard on her own, before landing a job at a fancy restaurant owned by an Italian, Mr Semandini 😍
Her finally summing up the courage to search for her mother was marvellous. At last, she heard her mother’s side of the story.

As for Linda, I think the hatred she had bubbled inside due to her mom’s disappearance made her sort of angry and hardened inside. She lied, shoplifted, made bad friends and decisions.

At last, I love the ending. It was incredible! The perfect ending except for the fact that the rapist didn’t get what he deserved.
As for Izzie, she found her prince charming whom I completely adore. Her mom had found someone amazing and her dad has changed drastically. He realized that his attitude brought them nothing but misfortune.

This is my first Pam Weaver book, but I’ve already added her other books to my TBR!

Much thanks to Netgalley, Avon and the author for this ARC copy.
This story is mainly about Izzie,  her sister Linda and her parents. It begins where Izzie hears her parents having a row, the front door slams which is her mother running away. Her father is a brute.  Many more people come into this story, I like the way how Pam introduces them all. You will not get confused as to who is who as Pam 'drip feeds' them to us so we get to know them, Then someone else comes into the story which  is set at the beginning of the 1950's. Izzie was found a job by her father who took most of her wages for her upkeep. As her mother never returned, Izzie had to keep house,  wash, iron, clean shop and cook. I do not want to give too much away, but Izzie did have a hard life.  Towards the end there was a Rape followed by a court case, Pam handled this very well. At the end of the book Pam explains about the Rape part of the book which you must read. I have no hesitation in giving 5* and recommend the book. For me this book was better than the Brighton Girls

With thanks to netgalley for the ARC in exchange for a review which I willing give
I was rather underwhelmed by this book, despite a strong start. It is written in an era that is not often explored, and the premise sounded intriguing.  It covers life and attitudes of the times - early 1950s - but for me there was something missing that I can’t quite define. The characterisation is not strong, and Izzie is not a particularly likeable character. She is a doormat for her father and sister, whilst being constantly annoyed with them., but never standing up for herself. There were some very feisty young women around in the 1950s, who had had to take the place of men away at the war. Izzie is not one of them, sadly,
The story seems contrived, and not very convincing. I lived through these years as a child, and the happenings during the story seem a bit scattergun, with predictable outcomes. The ‘teddy boys’ and their actions, were signposted so much, and the ultimate crime committed is just not credible, in my humble opinion.
There is an overload of detail; what Izzie and her mother ate and wore every time they met; every item of clothing the teddy boys wore or aspired to possess; the minutiae of the cafes/ tea rooms and where they were, or would be; some judicious editing might have helped the flow of the narrative, which really flagged at times.
The ending is all neatly sewn up, and tied with a bow, predictably but unconvincingly.
My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my advance copy of this title. I wish I had liked it more.
Since their mother walked out on them as children, Izzie's taken responsibility for her younger sister, Linda. And when there father's temper flares up, Izzie knows the girls would be better off on their own. But when a handsome Italian chef moves to Worthing and offers Izzie a job in his cafe, she is forced to choose between her responsibilities and desires. then her mother resurfaces, and Izzie discovers there's more to her abandonment than meets the eye.

Set just after WWII,  rationing was coming to an end and lives were getting back to normal. It's set around Izzie, her sister Linda and their parents. Their father is a brute, and after a row one night, their mother runs away.

This is a heart-warming but also a gut-wrenching story of a family that's broken. We also get true historical facts from the era. There's stories within stories that weave together seamlessly, linking the family together. There is a  mixed bunch of characters in the book which is also descriptively written. The story held my attention throughout.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #AvonBooksUk and the author #PamWeaver for my ARC of #AtHomeByTheSea in exchange for an honest  review.
Set in the years following World war two,this is a story of two young girls who's mother disappears in strange circumstances. As Izzy grows up we follow her through ups and downs,secrets and lies,till she finds happiness.
I seem to have an insatiable appetite for UK-set, cozy romances. Add in a mid-century, coastal setting, and I'm in heaven.

Izzie and Linda's mother disappeared shortly after their father returns from being a WWII POW. However, Izzie learns first, that her mother hadn't disappeared but had been committed to a mental hospital, and two, that her father hadn't been a prisoner of war, but rather a prisoner of state due to a crime he committed.

Izzie must work to support herself and contribute to the household, while still doing the majority of the housework, while her father and the favored Linda work a bit and constantly flirt with the wrong side of the law. Izzie tries to ignore her growing affection for her boss, Giacomo, believing he's too old and experienced for her, but a tragedy makes her realize the depth of her love for him.

This isn't great literature, but it is a delightful way to distract oneself for a few hours and take a vicarious trip to a seaside village in the early 1950s. #AtHomeByTheSea #NetGalley
An interesting and emotional peek at post-WWII England.  Izzie's father came home but he's not the same.  Her mother has left the family (no spoilers).  She's struggled to raise herself and her sister Linda.  Now, though,. she's got some brightness in her future.  What's key, though, is learning the truth about her mother.  I found myself annoyed at times by Linda but never ever by Izzie. who is someone you will root for.  Thanks to netgalley for the ArC.  A very good read.
Set just after World War II I found it so interesting to hear of life after the war. Its an era I'm particularly fascinated by but I don't seem to find many books set during this timeline. Rationing is coming to an end and lives are slowly getting back to some kind if normal. It's a beautiful story and seems very relevant in the current circumstances. I found comfort reading ths book. I really enjoyed this book.
The day before Izzie’s 13th birthday, her mother walks out on the family following an argument with their father, and so it falls to Izzy then take responsibility for her younger sister Linda.

But when a handsome Italian chef moves to Worthing and offers Izzie a job in his cafe, she is forced to choose between her responsibilities and her desires. Then her mother resurfaces, and Izzie discovers there’s more to her abandonment than meets the eye.

Will Izzie be able to come to terms with the past in order to pursue the future she deserves?
This was a lovely story, and although I’ve never been to Worthing the places were described in such a way that I can imagine myself walking through the streets, along onto the sea front and sipping coffee in Giacomo’s café that Giacomo.

With regards to the characters, Izzy seemed to take the weight of the world on her shoulders, whereas Linda was a wily little minx who needed someone to tell her a few home truths! Despite that, as characters I loved them both especially as they were so different, and I don’t think we were meant to like Linda anyway!
Raymond reminded me a lot of Pinkie from Graham Green’s Brighton Rock – he was a wannabe gangster, but in reality was a bit of a sociopath.

I’ve read many wartime sagas in my time, so it was a nice change to read one set after the war when rationing was coming to an end and life was slowly returning to a new normal.

All in all a really lovely book and I would highly recommend it.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

When their mother leaves the house one night, Izzy is the one looking after her younger sister Linda.

Then after a while, she meets a chef, and is offered a job, as she’s hoping to move away, she’s thinking whether this will be her chance to do so. .

I liked he Izzy looked after her sister and was always the one who saw to everything. Whilst others just stood back and let her. The characters were relatable.

It was lovely to see how people lived post WW2 and how well it was researched.

I highly recommend it to anyone that likes a love story.
Another brilliant read from Pam, I've read all her books so far and I really enjoy them. She writes so descriptively and I shall continue to read and enjoy her books as she writes them.  My thanks to netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
Set in post-WWII in Worthing, this arresting book is about courage, love, loss, family ties and how people tried to piece their lives back together after the war.  Everything had changed.  The author beautifully injects fascinating historical details such as King George's death and wondrous descriptions including Tiddyoggies and Italian pastries.  I just love vivid multi-sensory descriptions.

After the war, Izzie and her younger sister Linda weren't prepared for her father's return home as he had been a POW since their childhood.  Not only was he super strict but also cruel, especially to Izzie.  What made it even worse was their mother suddenly deserting them.  The relationship of the girls shifts between warm and tender to cold and untrusting.  Izzie finds employment at a cafe owned by an Italian.  Italian cafes were de rigueur at the time so it was the place to work and visit.

The two very different sisters clashed and domestic battles raged.  Other relationships appeared.  The stories within the story are seamlessly written, including the reappearance of the girls' mother.  We also see the effects of war, secrets, deception and heartache.  I like that the book has oomph and substance and both lovely and despicable characters.  As in real life, there is good and bad and both are depicted here.

My sincere thank you to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this wonderful book.
At Home by the Sea.
Set in 1947 this is a great family saga. A story of two young girls who, following a family breakup are sent to live with their paternal grandparents. Fast forward two years and their father reappears into their life expecting them to just move in and pick up where they left off. Upset and confused the girls, Izzie and Linda are left with no choice but to do as expected. What follows is a great tale very well told. There are a few twist and turns here but ultimately it’s a gripping tale that keeps you turning the pages.. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a page turning saga. 4⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️Thanks to #NetGalley for an advanced copy of this great book. #AtHomebytheSea
We follow Izzie and her sister Linda who live with their father after their mother disappears one night. At first they live with granny and grandad until their father decides he wants them back.  This leads to some turbulent times with Izzie looking after Linda who thinks she is grown up and gets involved with a group of bad lads. Will there be repercussions!   Izzie gets a job typing up manuscripts for a book then decides to look for her mother.  Enjoyable but I felt I would have liked to find out more about Izzie.