Cover Image: At Home by the Sea

At Home by the Sea

Set just after World War II I found it so interesting to hear of life after the war. Its an era I'm particularly fascinated by but I don't seem to find many books set during this timeline. Rationing is coming to an end and lives are slowly getting back to some kind if normal. It's a beautiful story and seems very relevant in the current circumstances. I found comfort reading ths book. I really enjoyed this book.
The day before Izzie’s 13th birthday, her mother walks out on the family following an argument with their father, and so it falls to Izzy then take responsibility for her younger sister Linda.

But when a handsome Italian chef moves to Worthing and offers Izzie a job in his cafe, she is forced to choose between her responsibilities and her desires. Then her mother resurfaces, and Izzie discovers there’s more to her abandonment than meets the eye.

Will Izzie be able to come to terms with the past in order to pursue the future she deserves?
This was a lovely story, and although I’ve never been to Worthing the places were described in such a way that I can imagine myself walking through the streets, along onto the sea front and sipping coffee in Giacomo’s café that Giacomo.

With regards to the characters, Izzy seemed to take the weight of the world on her shoulders, whereas Linda was a wily little minx who needed someone to tell her a few home truths! Despite that, as characters I loved them both especially as they were so different, and I don’t think we were meant to like Linda anyway!
Raymond reminded me a lot of Pinkie from Graham Green’s Brighton Rock – he was a wannabe gangster, but in reality was a bit of a sociopath.

I’ve read many wartime sagas in my time, so it was a nice change to read one set after the war when rationing was coming to an end and life was slowly returning to a new normal.

All in all a really lovely book and I would highly recommend it.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

When their mother leaves the house one night, Izzy is the one looking after her younger sister Linda.

Then after a while, she meets a chef, and is offered a job, as she’s hoping to move away, she’s thinking whether this will be her chance to do so. .

I liked he Izzy looked after her sister and was always the one who saw to everything. Whilst others just stood back and let her. The characters were relatable.

It was lovely to see how people lived post WW2 and how well it was researched.

I highly recommend it to anyone that likes a love story.
Another brilliant read from Pam, I've read all her books so far and I really enjoy them. She writes so descriptively and I shall continue to read and enjoy her books as she writes them.  My thanks to netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
Set in post-WWII in Worthing, this arresting book is about courage, love, loss, family ties and how people tried to piece their lives back together after the war.  Everything had changed.  The author beautifully injects fascinating historical details such as King George's death and wondrous descriptions including Tiddyoggies and Italian pastries.  I just love vivid multi-sensory descriptions.

After the war, Izzie and her younger sister Linda weren't prepared for her father's return home as he had been a POW since their childhood.  Not only was he super strict but also cruel, especially to Izzie.  What made it even worse was their mother suddenly deserting them.  The relationship of the girls shifts between warm and tender to cold and untrusting.  Izzie finds employment at a cafe owned by an Italian.  Italian cafes were de rigueur at the time so it was the place to work and visit.

The two very different sisters clashed and domestic battles raged.  Other relationships appeared.  The stories within the story are seamlessly written, including the reappearance of the girls' mother.  We also see the effects of war, secrets, deception and heartache.  I like that the book has oomph and substance and both lovely and despicable characters.  As in real life, there is good and bad and both are depicted here.

My sincere thank you to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this wonderful book.
At Home by the Sea.
Set in 1947 this is a great family saga. A story of two young girls who, following a family breakup are sent to live with their paternal grandparents. Fast forward two years and their father reappears into their life expecting them to just move in and pick up where they left off. Upset and confused the girls, Izzie and Linda are left with no choice but to do as expected. What follows is a great tale very well told. There are a few twist and turns here but ultimately it’s a gripping tale that keeps you turning the pages.. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a page turning saga. 4⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️Thanks to #NetGalley for an advanced copy of this great book. #AtHomebytheSea
We follow Izzie and her sister Linda who live with their father after their mother disappears one night. At first they live with granny and grandad until their father decides he wants them back.  This leads to some turbulent times with Izzie looking after Linda who thinks she is grown up and gets involved with a group of bad lads. Will there be repercussions!   Izzie gets a job typing up manuscripts for a book then decides to look for her mother.  Enjoyable but I felt I would have liked to find out more about Izzie.
Thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

Even though it took me a while to finish it, I really liked the story. The characters were both believable and likeable and it was very interesting to read a post war story that was set after WW1. The book did go at a rather slow pace, but it somehow suited the story, so I did not mind it that much.
Lovely book couldn't stop reading it. Poor Izzie traumatized by her mother disappearing as a young girl she takes responsibility for her younger sister Linda, after moving back home to live with their father. As they grow older Izzie is responsible for running the house and  finding work. Linda goes.off.the rails and ends up in bad company. Izzie finds work as a companion and finds a passion for writing until the elderly lady she works for dies and she is accused of theft. Secretly meeting her mother she meets Mr Sandini and unknowingly ends up working in his new cafe.
There are lots of secrets in this story which keep the reader gripped til the very end which is a happy one for everyone. I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend.
Another excellent novel  by Pam Weaver.
 I was hooked from the first page in the 50s family saga set in  post WW2
 Read it for yourself and experience this brilliant book.
Thank you for the advanced copy of this latest book by Pam Weaver. I found myself hooked from the beginning and read it in a few days. Set post second World war, it felt to be very realistic.   Women had gained independence during the war years, but men returning home were reluctant to allow this to continue. Izzy wants to better herself after a difficult childhood.  Her father thwarts this by ending her education early and forcing her to handover her earnings to him.  She has set backs along the way, but life improves.   She also searches out her mother who had been placed in a mental hospital.  Her sister and father are not happy with her research.
 Lots of interwoven storylines.  Well researched and a good read.
This is a family saga set in the 50’s, very well written and a book I would recommend. Thank you to NetGalley for the chance to read and review this great book. I will be looking for more books by this author.
1947 Worthing.
Izzie Baxter, and her dad is back home one of the last of the brave boy's from the war and he is a stranger to her, the arguments between him and her mother grew louder and he was so strict with her and sister Linda he had no job and always in the pub, one morning coming down stairs they both find their mother had gone it's February 26th 1947 and it's Izzie's thirteenth birthday they had all forgotten a search goes out and her mother is found not right in the head and is taking into a hospital, the two girl's are then sent to grandparents in Dial Post twelve miles from Worthing where they spend the next two years till their father comes to take them to a new home he has a good business and Izzie is now old enough to work. but all she wants is to find out where her mother is and answers about her father and why she left that night she won't give up.
This is such a remarkable book from start to finish that I enjoyed. It will touch your heart as you read with some gripping details will Izzie ever find her Home By The Sea? read on for yourself I highly recommend you do. Loved It.
I found this book to be enthralling and kept my interest throughout. The characters and their interlinked stories were believable  and I enjoyed the factual side of life after the war.

Highly recommended.
The night before her 13th birthday Izzie's Mum walks out of the family home wearing only her nightdress and a thin coat.  Izzie and her sister Linda are sent to live with their grandparents until 2 years later her father decides that it is time they moved home.  Izzie is now 15 and can leave school and get a job, thus bringing more money into the household.  Set in the late 1940s/ early 1950s, life is very different.  Will Izzie ever find her mother who she misses so much and what will become of them all.
Thankyou to net galley and Avon books for my advanced reader copy of this book, I will give my unbiased review.

Izzie is only 12 when she witnesses her parents late night argument in the 1940s which lead to her mother running out on the family. According to her father, she was unstable and had to be sectioned and after discharge from the mental hospital, didn’t want anything to do with Izzie or her younger sister Linda.

Izzie had to grow up fast, her father, who had been a prisoner of war, or so the the story goes, had anger issues and now without her mother at home, she was expected to run the household alone, while also leaving school as soon as she was legally allowed, at 15, to contribute to the family income. Whenever she seemed to gather an extra pound, her father found a way to take it off her.

I found this story to be an interesting look into the world post war, while I have ready many (and by many I mean hundreds) of books based during WW2 I have only read a handful during the 1940/1950s. I found it a snapshot of British society at the time, still dealing with rationing, and more importantly the impact of the war on people’s mental well being. This book also highlights the difference between the haves and the have nots, but the biggest take away for me was the attitudes toward women. It was hard to read some of the scenes where Izzies father hit his daughters, but equally as hard to read the lines of the girls discussing icing their faces because they didn’t want their bruises to show. This book would make an interesting book club discussion I feel!

I did feel the book did go at a rather slow pace, maybe the style of writing was suited to the era in this way,  it it did feel a little detail heavy in parts.

Again Thankyou for the opportunity to read and review this book @netgalley and @avonbooks.
I was quite mad with Izzy at the beginning. But, then I realised that this was how woman was back in the days.. This would be a good book to share with students as they will be able to see progress woman had made.
I love a good saga and this is a great addition to the genre.
There is every type of character in this book and all of them believable. Poverty breeds cruelty from what I read in stories and it's in abundance here.
Izzie is the main character and I was rooting for her from the start. She had a lot on her shoulders and was treated very badly by her father.
She gets a job in a restaurant and begins to better herself. Then she gets reacquainted with her mother and realises the story she was told about her walking out on them had a lot more to it than her father had led her to believe.

There are numerous twists and turns in the story and to warn people, there is a rape scene. I don't like anything like this in my reading but it was handled very well by the author.
There's a romance but I found it a bit lukewarm. More could have been done with it. Anyone who grew up in want. whether it be want of money or want of love, will empathise with this story.

There's a lovely short story at the end of the kindle version too.

Thanks to Avon and NetGalley for the chance to read this book early.
I love Pam Weaver's books as they are written to draw you into the story and this book is no different with a great story and characters that bring the book alive.5*
A heartwarming and bittersweet story of two young girls, Izzie and Linda, whose life is turned upside down when their father returns after the war and then their mother disappears. As young teenagers there is a lot that is kept from them, but Izzie tries to take care of her little sister (who is not the most pleasant). A look at what England looked like in the late 1940s, and a few twists and turns. When she starts to work and meets Giacomo, sparks fly. He has had a tragedy himself, and they make a good fit. Liked this one, but did skim a bit in the middle. Would recommend.