Cover Image: Neon Gods

Neon Gods

Contemporary Olympus Persephone and Hades retelling. Lots and lots of sexy times. So. Much. Hotness. Hades initially comes across as a dark hero but it is slowly revealed he has a soft squishy center which keeps this from being a dark romance, a subgenre which is not my cup of tea. This one really worked for me on every level which surprised me.
I was so excited about this book. I love Hades and Persephone retellings and I love that this one was in a modern setting. While I heard only excellent things about Neon Gods, I ended up not really enjoying it which made me super sad. While I loved Hades....OMG I loved him so much, I didn't really like Persephone or any other characters. I was bored with the story and I didn't really jive with the writing. Overall this book was ok. It just wasn't the book for me.
🍷🍷🍷🍷 #Review of Neon Gods by Katee Robert
Crystal's Thoughts
Neon Gods is a modern-day retelling of the well-known Greek mythology tale of Hades and Persephone. Sexy, edgy, and wicked this new twist on Olympus captivated.

Persephone, daughter of Demeter and socialite in the world of the powerful Thirteen, is counting down the days until she can escape Olympus and all it's corruptness. When her mother sets her up as Zeus' fiancé in a bid for power though, Persephone knows that unless she finds some way out of  the arranged marriage she will never leave Olympus and may even loose her life at the hand's of the powerful head of the Thirteen like so many before her. In a desperate attempt to flee Zeus' machinations, Persephone finds herself fleeing to the other side of the River Styx, and into Hades domain. A member of the Thirteen shrouded in mystery and is said to no longer exist... Oh how wrong they were... Because not only does Hades exist, but he has his own score to settle with Zeus and he is not above using the beautiful Persephone to do it. Can Persephone use Hades' need for revenge to escape both Zeus and Olympus, or will they both go up in flames in the best possible way?

Katee Robert makes the ancient Greek mythos her own in her debut release of the Dark Olympus series.  Neon Gods was brimming with romance, betrayal, action, and intrigue. I simply adored Hades' character. He was so darn sweet and I empathized with his OCD around the house. lol The banter between him and Persephone was phenomenal. And the way Hades falls head over heels for Persephone, seeing the women beneath the surface and not just the image she portrays to the rest of the world? Swoon. Tension builds between Hades and Persephone with only one obvious conclusion. This is one of those sex-before-feelings romances but their chemistry is combustible. Their relationship also falls to the more erotica side of romance with exhibitionism and it is hawt. Those feelings do develop though as they get to know one another and it won't be long before you're rooting for that HEA. Persephone herself was a strong, cunning heroine who despite not having any interest in playing the games that Olympus thrived on, didn't shy away from them when it came down to it. The plot had plenty of twists and turns, a few were somewhat predictable but still entertaining.

There was plenty of side characters and side plot lines to the tale to keep the story moving. At first, they were difficult to keep track of, but as the story progresses they each are weaved into the storyline nicely. We're introduced to Persephone's three sisters, each one different than the other in personality, and I am interested to see where the series goes with them. The world of Olympus itself is dark and perilous. However, I didn't quite understand the world that was built around these characters, how it related to the human world, and if these character's that took on the Gods moniker's were human or not. Are those outside of Olympus aware of them? I definitely would have preferred more of a backstory on Olympus and it's beginnings.

Neon Gods was a great reintroduction to Katee Robert's writing, as it's been a while since I have picked up a book from her. I've never been disappointed by any of them.  Bottom line, if you enjoy a bit of dark romance with an erotica edge and an old story turned new again, give Neon Gods a try.
I really really enjoyed this one!! I get all the fuss around it!! Hades and Persephone is my favorite myth, but still I held my expectations low, since I wasn't crazy about Desperate Measures. It was hot, but plotwise, I wasn't blown away. Well, this one proved me that the author definitely grew and the story was definitely more interesting, it captured my attention from the first chapter, the characters were both very likeable with Hades being a hot sweatheart and Persephone being a sassy and lovely heroine. I really loved how this had its hot moments, but also focused on the emotional part, so I liked it. Looking forward to reading more by this author :)
I’ve always been a fan of Hades and Persephone retellings and mythology retellings in general, but I’ve been loving them even more lately ever since I discovered the webtoon, Lore Olympus, so Neon Gods has been on my radar for quite a while and I’m so glad that I’ve finally picked it up!

I was definitely expecting this book to be steamy, and it sure was, but I have to admit that it was even sweeter and more romantic than I thought it would be…and I was super here for it. It could’ve definitely been a dark story that was solely about pleasure, but instead this was a story with a captivating romance, two characters that I couldn’t help but love, and world-building that has left me super intriguing and excited to see where the series will go next. I’m also excited to see what pairings will be explored in future books!

As for our main characters, I loved them so much! Persephone was absolutely hilarious and I loved how with Hades she was so free and just said what she wanted to say. She was fierce, kind, devoted to those she loved, and just so much fun, and Hades was quite possibly one of the sweetest cinnamon rolls I’ve ever met! He had an edge and wielded his reputation like a fine-tuned weapon, but around Persephone it was like he just melted and I loved that. Their relationship was hands-down my favourite part of this book. They supported each other so fully, brought out the best in one another, and just made each other so happy…I loved it so much!

Overall, I’d recommend this one to romance readers who like steamy reads, especially if you like a little bit of spice and if you like books inspired by mythology.
Neon Gods: A Scorchingly Hot Modern Retelling of Hades and Persephone starts off the Dark Olympus book series by Katee Robert..

This book is an erotic fantasy retelling of the Greek myth of Hades and Persephone. In this story, Persephone is 24 and somewhat of a celebrity in Olympus. She is one of the daughters of the goddess Demeter and their family is usually making headlines in the tabloids. Persephone’s goal is to finish getting her Masters degree then leave to California for her PhD when she turns 25 in the Spring and her trust fund becomes available. However her mother has other plans and without consulting Persephone she betrotheds her to Zeus.

Rather than marry a man she doesn’t love who has a reputation of disposing of his wives, Persephone runs away and ends up in the lower city section of Olympus which is run by Hades. She meets Hades who helps her go into hiding for three months until the Spring arrives. By Olympus law Hades and Zeus cannot cross into each other’s territories so Persephone should be safe there. During this time the two will make it public knowledge that they’re intimate so Zeus will no longer want Persephone. Hades can exact revenge on his sworn enemy by sleeping with his betrothed and humiliating him.
Of course the chemistry is fire and these two start to wonder if this can be the real thing and not just sex.

Neon Gods was well written and creative and I had fun reading it. Told in alternating chapters by Persephone and Hades you get to see the story from each of their perspectives.

I liked that Hades has a dark edge about him. Persephone is sassy and smart.  Much of the interactions between these two are about give and take, about compromise. Neon Gods was well-written, sexy romance with two sassy main characters. I recommend this if you enjoy steamy erotic fantasy.
Loved this so much! Katee Robert knows how to write a sexy romance and I love how traditional publishing is taking a chance on more steamy books. This was an awesome take on the Hades x Persephone myth and, considering how many are out there, I was impressed by the way Robert crafted the story.

I am so excited for more!
I LOVED THIS ONE. So glad that I decided to read it because the cover was not drawing me in but I was so surprise! Hades + Persephone <3
Mythology but in the modern era. Hades and Persephone mixed with politics and celebrity type rulers. Persephone is being forced by her mother to marry Zeus, who is believed to have killed his previous three wives. So she flees the upper city and finds her way to the lower city, ruled by Hades. Originally one of the Thirteen, everyone believed him to be dead and a myth. She strikes a bargain with him that can work for both of them against Zeus.

There are a few aspects about this story to talk about. The first being the worldbuilding. I think this was the one that wasn’t fleshed out as much as I would’ve liked. I wanted to know a bit more about the structure of how things run, how they happen.  Overall, there’s enough there to give you an understanding that is enough for the purposes of this story, but I did find it interesting and would love to see it more developed.

Next up we have the romance. This being my second book by this author, I was expecting a lot of sexy times. As a long time reader of BDSM erotic romance, I also had certain expectations there. What stands out is that even though this was steamy, it wasn’t quite as much as I was expecting. Same thing goes for the BDSM element. I would say this is a bit on the tamer side but still with a nice steam. Both of our main leads are bisexual and we see them explore exhibitionism as well. I also did like that this book doesn’t immediately jump into sex, even though it’s quite insta lovey. There was a nice progression of the story and setting things up before it gets there.

Lastly, the side characters. I’m partial to talking about the adorable dogs but instead I’ve decided to mention one character that really intrigued me. Hermes. I’m very curious to know more and see an HEA coming up.

Katee Robert was able to take this mythology concept and twist it in a very modern way, incorporating also concepts that we are familiar with today along with the common elements we would expect from the mythology. Besides loving a Hades and Persephone retelling, I also love elements of politics and intrigue. All of that drama made this quite fun not just sexy read.
This book unfortunately, was a DNF for me. I just couldn't get into the characters or the story. Not for me.
Set in a high-tech, glittering, futuresque city, NEON GODS expertly retells the tale of Hades and Persephone in a very hot and heavy fashion.
My favorite Hades & Persephone retelling hands down. I read this in one day! It was really hot and really well done!
Neon Gods is a modern day retelling of the story of Hades and Persephone with a dark twist. Persephone is an Olympus socialite who is to be Zeus’s bride in a political move set in motion by her mother, Demeter. Persephone escapes to the Underworld and is taken in by Hades, a mysterious figure who does not make himself known in Olympus. Hades offers Persephone a place to hide out in the Underworld for 6 months, when she reaches the age of majority. Persephone comes to realize that the Underworld is very different from the stories she has been told and Hades is a very real figure that given the chance will consume her.
This is definitely my new favorite book from Katee Robert. It was so good. I was hooked from the beginning. If you like spicy romance, pick this up!
A decidedly spicy retelling of the classic Hades and Persephone love story, I enjoyed Persephone’s agency and Hades’ soft spot for Persephone. Though the writing was at times repetitive and Hades’ overprotectiveness a bit overblown, overall I enjoyed the story and found it to be an entertaining story of a women escaping social entrapment and finding freedom in love. A fluffy yet spicy read, this story is ideal for adult readers who enjoy retellings, banter, and protective partnerships.
I'm in awe of Kate's Robert's writing as always but this book especially, she outdid herself! What a creative spin on classic greek myths and of Olympus itself. I could not put this book down and I devoured it as quickly as possible. I am so excited for the rest of the Dark Olympus series and Electric Idol cannot be release soon enough! This mysterious world and the politics she created left me intrigued and only wanting more. Highly recommend!
I really enjoy retellings of the Greek Myths, and this was an interesting take on the popular story of Hades and Persephone. After reading Neon Gods, I can’t wait for a book #2 of this series!

I enjoyed the dynamic between Hades and Persephone, which stayed true to the common bad boy meets good girl trope, but put a fresh twist on it. Without spoiling anything, this Persephone gave the reader a taste of a modern woman, while this Hades remained a bad boy with an unexpected streak of goodness.

There were interesting ideas that made me think differently about the Gods: there are new associations made by allowing traditionally male gods to be female, and the idea that the gods could die and be replaced by new players was novel in my opinion. I also like the idea that Persephone went to Hades of her own accord, rather than Hades kidnapped her, which makes the tale more modern and put more power in the hands of the woman.

I had fun pricing together the mystery behind the treaty; it wasn’t spelled out directly, but the reader eventually gets enough information to understand how it works. From the replacement of Gods, to Zeus’ various new marriages, it is what brings a fresh perspective to the story—there had to be something new and different to set it apart from the traditional myths, which is what makes this such a fun and interesting version.

I also enjoyed the love story, and the erotic scenes, of course!
*4.5 stars

This was so much fun! Definitely one of my favorite Hades and Persephone retellings for sure!

At the beginning of this book, Persephone is essentially forced to say yes to a marriage proposal from Zeus. However, she is terrified because it is said that Zeus has killed all of his past wives. To escape this man, Persephone flees and ends up on the other side of the River Styx. She then comes across a man she thought was a myth, Hades. He saves her and ends up taking her to his home. They then start up a fake relationship in hopes of steering Zeus away. Through them faking this relationship, they might actually start feeling deeply for one another.

I loved this! This was super fun! I loved Hades and how caring he was! I love how Katee Robert rewrote these takes and mythological beings. I LOVED what she did with the Orpheus and Eurydice tale!

The reason why I did not give it 5 stars is because of Persphone. She is honestly not my favorite kind of character. I am a firm believer in taking care of yourself, and it made me so frustrated when Persephone did not care for her well-being.

I can't wait to read the rest of the series when they come out!!

TROPES: age gap, books with pets, brooding hero, caretaking scene (heroine's feet), damaged hero, fate dating, I hate everyone in the world but you, lgbtq+ (both characters are not straight), recluse, scarred character (hero's back)
Thank you to Soruce Books for giving me an eARC of this book.

This book was enjoyable but I think I was expecting more than I got.

Although the spicy scenes were extra spicy and delicious as the author is very well known to do, the romance felt a little too rushed for me. I was hoping for a little bit of angst in the beginning and may be a little bit of heat to love especially being a Hades and Persephone book but that was just not the case. I think it would be better if the beginning was stretched out a little longer and allow for the romance to build.

The story felt a little bit too long although the ending was very enjoyable and exciting to read.
If this book becomes a series I’m not sure if I will continue to read the series but I definitely will read more from this author.
I loved this book!  Alternating between the audio and ebook, was a great experience.  Katee Robert has always been amazing at worldbuilding and spice and Neon Gods is her best work yet!  Persephone and Hades were so cute and their chemistry was amazing.