Cover Image: The Veiled Throne

The Veiled Throne

"The Veiled Throne" by Ken Liu is a thrilling addition to the Dandelion Dynasty Series. As with the other books in the series this is an intricate elegant epic tale of the royalty, common folk, soldiers, enemies, gods, bamboo-punk technology, culture, and most important survival of the fictional empire of Dara. Between my appreciation of other books written by Ken Liu, along with the tantalizing hints of expansive adventure in the book description, I read books 1 and 2 in the series in preparation to read this, the third book in the series. This was time well spent! Each book is a grand excursion into the exciting epic fantasy realm of the heroes and enemies of Dara complete with extensive glossaries, extensive lists of characters, maps, and detailed history. Each of these books contains a lot of entertaining content. Much of the series is focused on empire building, though there are many interesting diversions into the culture of this world.  For example, much of the last half of this book takes an almost jarring switch from the rather bloody life-and-death struggles of multiple invasions to focus on the experiences of key and future key characters battling not so much for their lives but for the survival and supremacy of a restaurant with ties to the royal family. At first, this switch from death and destruction to economic and culinary competition seemed jarring, but it does fit in nicely with the various plot lines, and sets the stage for the continuation of this series in the fourth book. I am breathlessly awaiting the next book!

I would like to thank Ken Liu and Saga Press for kindly providing an electronic review copy of this book.
This series has been incredibly impressive and plot driven. It’s action packed and the descriptive world building is top tier!
Ken Lui is a master storyteller and writer. He has created a rich, vibrant and action packed universe that is inspired by oriental ideals and history. I loved reading the other books in the series and always look for more works for this author.
Thank you to Gallery Books and #netgalley for the opportunity to review an e-copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Of all the books I've read recently, this one is one of the hardest to do without spoiling, because while, in some ways, compared to the previous books, nothing much militarily happens, but it was still a completely fascinating and compelling read.  This is the third book in the series, but the characters are mostly all new, despite the world picking up pretty much where the last book left off.  The last book felt so action packed that I am afraid others might feel it is table setting-but I have a different take in that the author was clearly looking to explore other facets of his universe.  There were battle scenes, of course, an action filled set piece at the beginning, and, for a large portion of the book, a nonconventional battle that was every bit as compelling as a garinifin vs airship battle.  Mild spoiler: it had more in common with a Top Chef or Hell's Kitchen battle than a military one, but the backstory and appreciation of tactics and strategy were pure Liu. I think I like these books MORE for having the courage to explore these aspects of the society, and more importantly, the skill to make them compelling.  While other aspects of the story felt a lot like red herrings and build up...by this point the reader can trust Liu to pay it off.  Now-the pay off does now arrive in this book for many of the plot threads, and I had felt that the climax of the previous book and the first one were higher highs, but this book consistently delivered at a high level.  I think if you love Liu you will adore this book.  Anyone who is a fantasy fan should pick up this series-but I'd recommend starting with Book 1.  If there are people who know Liu from his work translating Cixin Liu, hardcore sci-fi fans that don't like fantasy may not like this as much as others, but I'd still say to give the first book a try.
I like how the author played around with the meaning of loyalty in this book.  This is  something he has investigated before, but it finally sunk through to me, or it was more forward here in terms of questions of betrayal, and even, identity.  So even though this is a 'fantasy' book, those themes can be teased out, and I think were intentional, though a reader may have to be more literarily serious than I am, because I typically read to escape.  This was entertaining as anything!  I look forward to the next one.
MY REVIEW: 3.5 STARS

I'm not sure if it was me or the book! I would day since I loved the first two books and didn't get to do a reread that it was probably me =(

I absolutely loved the character, Goztan - Thane Of The Five Tribes Of The Antler! I thought she was awesome!

I didn't like some of the stories of the gods that depicted some animal brutality and other parts with animal brutality. I mean most of it was what really happens in life but this day and age, I don't want to read that kind of stuff, but like I said, it's easy enough to gloss over.

I did feel lost in some of the other parts of the book, but please don't let this take away from anyone reading the book! I'm going to still add the paperback and audible to my collection and reread them all once the final book is out! The first two books were 5 star and this one might change back to that number in a reread, although, a 3.5 star is not bad!

*Thank you to Netgalley and Gallery Books for a digital copy of this book!

Mel
I received an ARC through NetGalley. Part 3 of the Dandelion Dynasty series (no longer a trilogy) advances the plot incrementally during a time of truce between the Lyucu invaders and the Dara government, but builds up what almost feel like secondary plots regarding a restaurant rivalry, the Dara settlement in the Agon homeland, and the continued scheming of Empress Regent Jia. Obviously everything is building up to the final book, but this one felt a bit like killing time.
The Veiled Throne is about another world with warring factions that have deep biases against each other.  Liu goes into great depth in describing this world.  I enjoyed the book.
The third book in the Dandelion Dynasty, this epic adventure blends rivals and tyrants with fickle gods.  Princess Théra, the former Empress Üna of Dara, yields the throne to her younger brother and journeys to Ukyu-Gondé beyond  the impenetrable Wall of Storms with a fleet of ships and ten thousand people. Bravely confronting adversity, she meets each challenge bravely, and refuses to let the past dictate the present.
Very very interesting next chapter in the Dandelion Dynasty. There was definitely a lot action, excitement, and entertainment. But to be honest, I was very confused and almost lost at times. the story was in so many places with so many characters, I continually had to go back to the glossary to figure out who they were. I think the story did hit a little bit of a lull compared to the first and second books, which is understandable, but I think the ending really set up excitement for the next chapter in the series. The character development was really well done, and the story was good, albeit just a bit slow for my liking. In general, if you read the other books in the series you will enjoy the book.

Thank you to Netgalley, Ken Liu, and Gallery / Saga Press for providing me with an advanced reading copy.
We just continue to get deeper and deeper into this world with each entry. I enjoyed the characters and pacing and I can't wait for more. Plus...look at the cover! Gorgeous! This is definitely going on my shelf!