Cover Image: The Bounty

The Bounty

This book is silly, but that doesn’t make it a bad book.  I enjoyed it very much.  It was a good escape from the real world for awhile.  You get action and adventure while Nick and Kate try to find a nazi treasure....what more could you want.
This book does not disappoint; action-packed from beginning to end with all the familiar people I've come to love and new and interesting new people, i.e. Nick's father.  What I especially liked about this book is the plot of the lost Nazi gold is true & people are still looking for it today. Overall , a fun mystery, with the usual banter, jokes, and  romantic tension I expect from this series.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.
What a fascinating book. I was impressed by the storyline and the characters were all well written and complex. Where there are complex storylines combined with intriguing characters the reader experience is magnified tremendously. To have a book that is well written as well as entertaining is a delight. Reading is about escaping your world and entering another one. Here I forgot about my own life and was immersed in the world created by the author. I would recommend this book.
Janet Evanovich’s Fox and O’Hare series about unwilling cooperation between FBI agent Kate O’Hare and international thief Nick Fox has advanced to a seventh book, The Bounty. There’s a new co-author, Steve Hamilton, after a short-lived collaboration with Evanovich’s son Peter. The change is for the better.

This is perhaps the most coherent and exciting book in the series so far. The plot is intriguing. Nick’s estranged father is after a treasure map that should lead to a hidden hoard of Nazi gold, and Nick and Kate are swept along on the quest. They storm through Europe, trying to find the pieces of the map, which have been hidden in very imaginative and difficult-to-access places. And naturally they are pursued by a group of Nazis who want the gold for themselves. There are plenty of twists and turns before everything is solved.

The book is constant action with plenty of over-the-top violence, but there isn’t much of Evanovich’s trademark humour. Also the romance-that-almost-is between Kate and Nick is all but forgotten, with a token scene at the end. But it still manages to be light-hearted and not to take itself too seriously.

My only complaint is the lack of a coherent point of view. It switched between Nick and Kate from paragraph to paragraph with no clear indication to who was guiding the narrative. There were short stretches with a single narrator, usually in a minor character’s POV, but the general impression was vagueness and lack of depth. Character development has never been Evanovich’s strong suit, but here the characters were completely at the mercy of the plot.

Nevertheless, the book was entertaining and engaging. It’s the best in the series so far, unless you miss the silly humour. I hope Evanovich continues the series with Hamilton. I’d definitely read their books.
The Bounty: A Novel by Janet Evanovich and Steve Hamilton was an okay read. I have read all of the Stephanie Plum series, but this was my first O’Hare and Fox novel. I will give the benefit of loving the other series that this one is a great series, too. I will need to go back and see how these characters have developed and how they work together to truly know what I think. Not a stand alone.

***** I received an ARC from NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my honest review. *****
About:

Special Agent Kate O’Hare and international criminal Nick Fox pair up again in this thriller wherein the two team up with their fathers to find the $30 billion in Nazi gold before The Brotherhood finds it first.

My Thoughts:

THE BOUNTY, book seven in the Fox and O’Hare series, features indestructible foes amongst likable, though seemingly invincible characters in this plot-driven narrative.

I will say that suspension of disbelief is necessary as you delve into this action-filled novel which reminds me of the 007 movies I watched as a kid with unbeatable characters like James Bond, Blofeld, and Jaws with his steel-capped teeth.

The main issue I have with the storyline in THE BOUNTY, specifically the historical aspect, is morally based and has nothing to do with the writing, per se. To me, the thought of anyone looking for and possibly finding the Nazi gold makes me sick to my stomach.

Why did I want to read this book?

1.) To see that the gold isn’t found.
 2.) If it is found, see that it doesn’t get into the hands of The Brotherhood.
 3.) To bear witness to The Brotherhood and their affiliates get taken out.

Did any of that happen?

You will have to read the book and find out.

I look forward to reading novels one through six; the first five co-authored with Lee Goldberg (Yessss!), and number six with Peter Evanovich, who is new to me.

Thank you, NetGalley and Atria Books, for loaning me an eGalley of THE BOUNTY at the request of an honest review.

Scheduled For Release – March 23, 2021 (Subject To Change)
I used to read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I am not sure exactly why I stopped, probably just work, school, and too many books. I saw that The Bounty was part of a series, but that it could be read as a standalone. Lots of stay-at-home time gave me the chance to meet some new characters by Janet and her co-author Steve Hamilton.
The two main characters are Kate O'Hare, an FBI agent, and Nick Fox, a former criminal. Kate and Nick obviously have very different backgrounds and skillsets, and yet when they join forces, they seem to complement each other. Their adventure begins in the Vatican but quickly turns into much more. They are soon involved in a treasure hunt that takes them across Europe, one that may lead to $30 billion worth of gold. It looks like a family affair too, as both of their fathers are involved. Can they beat the bad guys and is that a bit of chemistry I see between Kate and Nick?
The plot was fast-paced and I am sure the few things I didn't quite understand were because I haven't read the prior books. A fun read on a cold winter day, and I ended up wanting to know more about Nick and Kate.3.5 stars.
I have long been a fan of Janet Evanovich and the Stephanie Plum series. I have not read any of this series until The Bounty. In true Janet fashion, She had me in love with the characters in the first few chapters and laughing out loud. This story follows Kate O'Hare and Nick Fox as they chase down the legend of a hidden train that is filled with Nazi gold. With trouble at every turn will they be able to make it in time before the goons that are after the gold for themselves?

Thank you so much to netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book. All opinions are my own.
This is a tough review for me to write as I see the book from two different perspectives – as a standalone novel and as part of the series.  Since the series has changed the co-author from, originally Lee Goldberg to now, Steve Hamilton, I will review it by talking about each perspective separately.

As a Standalone Novel

The Bounty is a fun and action-packed treasure hunt mystery that appeals to the puzzle lover in me.  I was glued to this fast-paced story as Kate and Nick worked with their fathers and an Oxford professor to solve each clue and faced peril at the hands of a criminal group who also wanted to find the treasure, $30 billion in Nazi gold.  The setting is ever-changing as each new clue takes them to a new location, mainly in Europe. From the Eiffel Tower to a monastery in the Swiss Alps and a few stops in between and after, this story is perfect for a book vacation – especially if you love adventure.  Kate and Nick are working on this case with their fathers, which adds a whole new dimension to the story.  I do not remember Nick’s father ever being mentioned in past novels, so to get to meet him is fun. If you are looking for complex characters, this plot-driven story is not the one for you. But, if you are looking for a fun weekend read, you will love this story even though it ends up being a bit formulaic in its approach to the treasure hunt.   The novel is mainly about action and adventure, and it provides those things superbly.

As the 7th book in a Series

I have been reading the Fox and O’Hare mysteries since book 1.  What I initially loved about the series is how it took a conman and a law enforcement agent and put them together to solve cases in a way that used both of their skills.  Kate – along with her ex-military father and his ragtag group of fellow ex-marines – is the brawn.  She can take on any man or woman with strength, finesse, and a mastery of weapons, while her father provides even more muscle in the form of bigger, more explosive weapons and covert transportation needs. Nick, on the other hand, steals things in a way that is crafty and utterly ingenious.  Utilizing his conman skills, he sets up elaborate fake situations to lore in their mark (the bad guy) and eventually trap and arrest him or her.  And together, they have palpable chemistry.  Nick and Kate in the 7th novel are such a watered-down version of their previous selves that I barely recognized them. Nick did not set up an elaborate scheme. And though Kate is still a powerful female character – the chemistry between them no longer had the same spark or intensity.

Seeing as how the book went through a writer change, this was the perfect time to reintroduce the characters – to take the time to develop them more naturally and thoroughly and clue the reader in on what to expect from a new writing team.  I would be much more accepting of the changes if I were not led to believe that I would be reading about Kate and Nick that I quickly grew to love in the first book of the series because the characters in this story were not those characters.  Even meeting Nick’s father failed to offer any significant insight into his character, and that was a perfect opportunity to do just that.

I also missed the Nick-ness in the story. His con jobs provided the entire plot in the early books, but there is no con job in this story.  The ingeniousness of those cons made the stories fun, intelligent, creative and enabled me to forget that there was not a lot of character development to grab on to.  I wanted more of Nick’s clever situations, even though I think that a treasure hunt is exciting.  I always love a good treasure hunt story.  But a treasure hunt is not the same thing as a con job.  Kate and Nick did not even solve the clues other than physically looking where the professor who was solving the clues told them to look.

To Read or Not to Read

As a standalone book, The Bounty offers a light, fun, action-packed treasure hunt story that is the perfect weekend getaway.  As the 7th book in a series, I found it very disappointing, as it offered only a watered-down version of the team I’ve grown to love.
The Bounty is a Fox and O'Hare action thriller and one I thoroughly enjoyed.  Kate O’Hare is a Special Agent and Nick Fox is an International reformed criminal and from the beginning to the end, the adventure and humor is never ending.
A shady organization, The Brotherhood, is seeking to find Thirty Billion dollars of Nazi Gold that has been missing for over 75 years, but Kate and Nick must find it first. They are joined by both of their dads, which brings humor and family drama to the mix. This overseas adventure takes you to many remote locations including the Swiss Alps and Sahara Desert.  The authors’ writing is incredibly illustrative, and you will get so caught up in the story that you feel like you are on the dangerous quest right along with them!
I have read all the Stephanie Plum Evanovich novels and they are always my go to when I need a light, easy, and humorous read. I have not read any Fox and O’Hare adventures, but after reading this one, I will, and would recommend it as well! Thank you to Atria Books and NetGalley for this ARC.
Action packed adventure!  Wow!  I do think that they should not have left the snowmobile there for Franz to use and come after them.  I can’t wait for the next adventure to be released.
The Bounty by Janet Evanovich and Steve Hamilton takes us on a global adventure reminiscent of Dan Brown but with typical Janet Evanovich humor.  Kate and Nick, along with their fathers, embark on a quest to find lost gold with other gold seekers right behind them..

The story was creative and well written.  It was a page turner that will keep your attention!
Get ready to embark on another dazzling adventure with special agent Kate O'Hare and infamous Nick Fox.  What's on the line this time?  Oh, only a couple tons of gold, worth $30 billion dollars.  Nothing to sneeze at, that's for sure.

Finding and piecing together parts of a treasure map is just the beginning of the tale for these two.  Running away from a large and dangerous organization known as the Brotherhood makes life quite dicey for everyone involved.

Kate and Nick enlist the help of Quentin, Nick's father.  But is this truly the right thing to do, or will none of them survive?  Jump in head first to this thrilling tale of treasure hunting at its best.
Nick Fox and Kate O'Hare are back in The Bounty, the 7th installment in the Fox and O'Hare series and are on loan to Interpol and the Vatican to help thwart an anticipated theft of a papal ring. When the thief instead steals a map which purportedly leads to a fortune in gold hidden by the Nazis, Nick and Kate are on a hunt across Europe to beat a shadowy organization known as The Brotherhood to the lost treasure.

As Nick and Kate race across Europe, they bring their fathers in to help - Quentin, Nick's father and a former government operative and Jake, Kate's father and a retired Marine who worked black ops projects who have invaluable experience and contacts to help Nick and Kate stay one step ahead of the Brotherhood.

I absolutely loved the Fox and O'Hare series right up until The Big Kahuna, which was not at all consistent with the existing storyline. I thought I was done with the series until I saw that Steve Hamilton had been brought in as the new co-author for this installment. The Bounty was much, much better than the previous book and redeemed the series for me. Although it didn't quite capture the same magic that there was in the first 5 books of the series, it was fast paced, entertaining, and highly readable. I look forward to more adventures with Nick and Kate.
Let me start by saying, in my opinion, this book redeemed the series and them some!  It was a fast paced mystery with all the quirkiness and fun you would expect in a Foxx and O'Hare novel.  Any reader could easily read this book and enjoy it.  However, if you are new to the series(and enjoy series), I would highly recommend that you start at the beginning, so you can get to know the characters better and enjoy the quirky fun more.

Thank you, NetGalley and AtriaBooks for the ARC for an honest review. #TheBounty #AtriaBooks @JanetEvanovich @AtriaBooks
I was drawn to this book by the cover. I became award of this book because I work at a library and see many people checking out this authors books. They have told me her stories are funny and is action packed adventures. After reading this newest installment (of the Fox and O’Hare series) The team includes a FBI agent Kate O’Hare and charming criminal Nick Fox (their chemistry reminded me of the cop and author show on TV called Castle) This novel remined me a little of the movies Indiana Jones and National Treasure as Kate and Nick chase down pieces of a historical map in order to locate a pot of gold.

The two lead characters have been together chasing down criminals (this is the seventh book in the series) this one is personal for both Kate and Nick. I did not get lost in this fast-paced action back story, but I will be checking out book one in this series to find out the back story between these two.

I loved that the author takes readers to several historical landmarks like inside the Neuschwansten Castle in Germany. It was beautiful.  it was fun to learn that the name translated means New Swan Stone Castle (the book refers this and the fact that Disney might have used this castle for Cinderella’s castle in his kingdoms) It’s the first book I’ve read by this author it won’t be the last.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I have received a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins!
The Book Club Network blog www.bookfun.org
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review. When Kate Hare and Nick Fox are sent off on their latest mission, they assumed it would be a fairly typical job, even if it's in the Vatican. What they did not expect was to find that the perpetrator of the heist was Nick's father. What begins as a simple security job leads to a wild chase across Europe, where they meet the parents, run from polar bears, climb a mountain, and fight Nazis. It is a fun and improbably ride, and it was precisely what I needed on that day.
If you are a fan of the series, you should be able to jump right into the book. If you are new to the series, it contains just enough backstory to keep you from feeling lost. There is enough action and adventure to keep the story moving at a lightning pace, and the comedy keeps the story from bogging down in the slower moments. Overall, it is a fun and fast paced adventure, and it is exactly what I expected from the series.
This may be my favorite of all the Evanovich books. Take a historical event or "secret" add some mystery and humor mix with a undercurrent of romance, that is this title. Kate O'Hare and Nicholas Fox are pleasing characters. They continue the developing their relationship while breaking most of the directives of their FBI boss. I particularly enjoyed the visits to the Neuschwanstein Castle and its swam motif.
THE BOUNTY – JANET EVANOVICH WITH STEVE HAMILTON
A FOX AND O’HARE NOVEL
PUBLISHED BY ATRIA BOOKS
PUB DATE 23RD MARCH.
My rating 3.5⭐
PLOT – FBI agent Kate O’Hare and ex- thief Nick Fox along with their fathers, in this action packed adventure ride have to find the bounty – the buried Nazi Gold , a hidden treasure with the help of a map. EASY?? – NOPE!!! As the map is divided into 4 parts and each part is hidden in extremely difficult to access places all over Europe! Only when they have all 4 pieces of the map after joining them only they will be able to find the bounty! But all this they have to figure out and get to before an international organisation called brotherhood gets to it and claims it for themselves!
My thoughts –
•	There was too much action and at some point it even got absurd and far fetched that it was totally unbelievable.
•	Lack of chemistry between the lead pair even though they have hots for each other.
•	It’s like as if they are participating in The Amazing Race – Europe Edition where at the end of each leg u will get a piece of map which will lead you to your next clue and destination and the last leg will win you the bounty (Nazi Gold)!
•	It’s a fast paced action mystery adventure ride. It’s not a bad story at all but it could have been better.
Thank you Netgalley and Atria books for this e-arc in exchange for my honest unbiased opinion.
This is an exciting, on-the-edge-of-your-seat, thrilling, can’t-put-it-down read. It was so engrossing I read it through in one sitting – boy did I pay for that the next day – but it was worth it! Steve Hamilton is the third co-author in this series, so I wondered how that was going to work. I definitely enjoyed the first five stories when Lee Goldberg was the co-author. I wasn’t as thrilled with the sixth one co-authored by Peter Evanovich, but this one with Steve Hamilton is good. There are definitely changes in Nick’s character though – they are subtle, but they are there. Nick isn’t as smooth and polished (think Remington Steele or Neil Caffrey from White Collar Crime) as he was in the beginning. Kate, however, is just as tough-as-nails as she ever was.

Kate and Nick are working with Interpol to track down an organization called The Brotherhood. In order to expand their organization and fund their efforts to bring a Fourth Reich to power, the Brotherhood wants to find billions of dollars’ worth of gold bullion that was buried by the Nazis just before WWII ended. In the opening scenes, Interpol knows someone is going to rob the Vatican and they assume the target is a valuable ring from the Pope’s collection. They are all set – all of the police organizations are in place – security is so tight that a flea couldn’t get through. Until – someone does get through. He definitely has world-class skills and when Nick almost catches him, he is absolutely shocked at the thief’s identity.

As they investigate and learn more and more, their ‘team’ grows to include both Kate and Nick’s fathers along with a mild-mannered professor and a former British SAS member. While they race around the countries that made up the former Axis countries, the Brotherhood is right on their heels. We travel all across those countries and back again looking for maps that contain clues to the location of the treasure. The maps are hidden in some of the most gosh-awful places – even polar bear habitats – and they contain cryptic and obscure clues. Our intrepid crew performs some death-defying stunts before they come to the end of the case. There are lots of twists and turns before the bad guys get their comeuppance and the whole thing will keep you holding your breath.

I’ll also point out that the blurb is misleading in regards to Nick and Kate’s fathers. Nick’s father didn’t teach him everything he knows – at least not how to be a world-class thief and con man. I’m not sure his father even knew about his career as a criminal. Nick’s father had done some ‘off the books’ work for the CIA and sort of lead a double life in that respect. When Nick learned of it, he and his father basically became estranged. Nick and his father share a great many talents – but they were mostly on different sides of the law. Kate and her father don’t disagree about everything. He does his best to protect her as any father would, but he listens to her, he helps her, and they collaborate on most things.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read and I hope you will as well. If you haven’t read the first five books in the series, I highly recommend those to you.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.