Cover Image: Hooky

Hooky

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this DRC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Wow. What a fantastic and addicting read. This is my first time encountering Míriam Bonastre Tur's work and I'm surprised I haven't come across this Webtoon while browsing on the app. More than 96 million views and 811,000 subscribers! I'm pleased this will be released in a physical format for more audiences to read and be amazed by this masterpiece. 10 pages of original short comics will be included.

Inspired by classic fairytales and cartoons, I appreciate the art style. Tur's illustrations are whimsically detailed and kept me reading at a good pace. I love how the colors change dramatically to capture the mood and atmosphere of the scenes while creating movement in the littlest things too.

What I didn't expect was a story line so adorable and light-hearted at the beginning to develop into something much deeper and serious. It touches upon prejudice towards witches and non-magic users in a broken kingdom and I was all for it to see how the story progresses.

As for the main and side characters, they are relatable and I am attached to them. I get emotional just thinking about them, especially when I didn't think I would be attached to certain characters! They are flawed yet worthwhile to watch grow as they learn to accept one another and themselves. You will feel for them and cheer them on as you learn about their struggles.

This graphic novel is packed with magic, adventure, drama, and strong friendships that will leave you entertained and in awe. Left on a cliffhanger, I am looking forward to read future volumes! This is recommended for middle school readers.
4/5 stars

I received an ARC of this book, and I am voluntarily leaving a review.

When Dani and Dorian miss their bus to magic school, they hurry to find a new magic mentor before their parents learn the truth. In the process, the twins accidentally get labeled as traitors to their kind. As the rift between humans and witches continues to grow, Dani and Dorian are left trying to figure out which side they’re on. With the help of a troublemaker, a princess, and a teacher, the twins might just stand a chance!

Wow, this Webtoon has been beautifully converted into a graphic novel! I didn’t read the Webtoon version of this story, but the graphic novel version was great! The art is gorgeous!

The story itself was a cute and fun read! While the story can be dark at times, it was mostly a cheerful and funny tale of two twins who constantly get themselves involved in all kinds of mishaps. The characters were probably my favorite part of this book!

I would recommend this to younger readers who like graphic novels and fun stories! I also believe that readers of the Webtoon would probably enjoy seeing the story brought to life in a graphic novel format as well!
I do not remeber requesting this and it isnt my taste but decided to give it a chance.  The pacing was off to me and I couldnt get into any of the characters.  I def think this has an audience, I'm just not it
This webtoon is adorable, and I am thrilled that it is being published. I use WebToon regularly, and I didn't know of this title! I am always pleased when popular webtoons get published. This comic is perfect for fans of Harry Potter or other witch and wizard titles. It is adorably draw with a nice plot. It is putting me in the mood for Halloween in August! It also gives me a cozy feeling like Halloweentown or Twitches from the Disney Channel.
"You’re allowed to make your own decisions. Don’t let yourself be bullied."

Hooky takes you on an unforgettable journey full of magic and cute witches.

The illustrations are bright and colorful. It all really stands out when you are reading the book. They are really eye-catching and you'll find yourself staring at them as your travel from page to page. It was really beautiful.

The story was good but it really jumped a lot. I found myself getting a tad bit confused because of the instant jumping. It had gotten to the point where I thought I skipped a page by accident but it was how the story went.

Hooky was really enjoyable. It had lots of cute moments with some hilarity thrown in. The characters were flawed and I loved that about this book. Usually, Authors want their witches to be perfect and we don't get that here. This author embraced that and it made the story that much more enjoyable.

If you loved the webcomic then you'll love this book.
This is a cute, at times dark, story about twin witches who miss the bus to magic school and hijinks ensue. Unfortunately some of those hijinks are related to the fact that witches are generally frowned upon in the current moment, and the possibility that there may be more to their magical family than they knew. I really liked the art style here, and the story was engaging and kept me interested at every turn. I'm not sure if I was just reading too fast, but I sometimes found the panels a bit jam-packed, and I think the pacing was off in a few places, but overall, it was really fun.
I absolutely love this Webtoon series, When I saw the graphic novel on Netgalley I knew I just had to have it. The author is so amazing, the story is just so cute but yet so dark. I love it. The illustrations are totally adorable and so colourful. They are just downright magical. I love everything about it. It was a fun and fast read.  I can't wait to read more. If you are a Harry Potter fan this is soo for you.

Thank you Netgalley and Clarion Books (formerly HMH Children's Books) for giving me a chance to read and review this magical book.
Loved the characters, loved the outfits, loved the amount of plot, loved the pacing. A really solid graphic novel about breaking out of the family mould and gender stereotypes. So so cute!
A super cute comic! I love the art style a lot and the characters are adorable. The story is also great.
I’d like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for this e-ARC. All opinions are my own.

This story is based on a popular WebToon, written as a Middle Grade Fantasy graphic novel.

A pair of twins named Dani and Dorian have magic and miss the bus to magic school. They can’t go back home because their parents will be mad, so they go to their aunt to ask her to tutor them. But instead of magic, their aunt makes them do chores, including moving a prisoner of hers. But when they get to the dungeons, they cause mischief and it is seen as a betrayal to the other witches. They escape, and find themselves as apprentices for a well known wizard.

Apparently there is a prophecy that one of them will turn evil so the well known wizard wants to kill them. Luckily two friends of the twins stop him. When the king is killed, the prophecy has an increased chance of coming true as a war begins between magic and non-magic people.

Throughout the book there are scenes and references to other fairytales, which was cool. I loved the humor and the story overall!
This graphic novel's story and pacing were slaphazard, but it was engaging enough for me to be interested in finishing it. I wish the characters had more depth and fleshed out backgrounds, but it works well as a fun read.
Hooky is visually appealing and fun. A graphic novel read that features supernatural elements, I would gladly add this book to my classroom shelf and would be eager for young readers to check it out. Polished art and entertaining fantasy storytelling.
I followed the webcomic for Hooky and loved it. For those not on Webtoons or prefer to read a physical book, you'll love these sweet witches.  If you did follow the webcomic, almost all episodes are here (just missing a few of the side plots), and minor grammar errors have been edited.
Two twins, one prophecy, and the adventure of a lifetime. Twin witches Dani and Dorian find themselves in one heck of a mess after missing a buss to magic school.... the kind of mess that gets them declared as traitors to all witches. Now they are being chased because powerful magic families think that one of them could be the king of Witches, throw in a runaway princess who latches onto them, a secret rebellion, and missing princes. Filled with danger, friendship, and growing up in a world where everyone is after you, these two siblings will have to stick together and strengthen their bonds with each other and their new friends if they want to make it out alive. This was a fun read, filled with cute hijinks as well as serious and dangerous situations for these characters. I had fun reading this and can’t wait to see where the rest of their story continues!

*Thanks Netgalley and Clarion Books (formerly HMH Children's Books), for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review*
4 stars - It was really good

When twins Dani and Dorian miss the bus to magic school they never thought they would wind up being declared traitors to their own kind. After making friends with a local troublemaker, a princess, and a teacher who can see into the future, they think they might be able to clear their names.

This was a wonderful comic! I really enjoyed the adventure these twins have had. Dani and Dorian are both dealing with controlling their magics and struggling with their identities. Their adventures and mishaps with magic were entertaining and their friends were great side-characters.  I wasn’t expecting the ending of this comic and now I really want the next book to find out how these two deal with the development of the witches.

This was a very fascinating world with the humans and witches as enemies. Miriam’s art style was beautiful with bold colors that really help bring this story to life. I can’t wait for the next book or at least for the webtoon’s comic to catch up so I can continue the story.
I really wanted to read this one solely based on the cover, haha. What can I say? I am a sucker for them!

I did also like the fact that it was a graphic novel as I have always been a lover of them and this one sounded too good to pass up. Luckily, I was approved for it on Netgalley and wasted no time diving in.

This graphic novel has great illustrations. I really liked that the characters have different colored bubbles for their text as it helped to easily identify who was talking. I have never seen that done before! I also liked the messages that were included and they are great ones for those in the Middle Grade and even YA range. I mean, I’m an adult and also liked them so really, I think any age would do.

The plot is filled with many different subplots but I think that it is done well enough to where you don’t get confused and keeps the story moving along so you don’t get bored while reading. Obviously a lot can happen when you miss a school bus, haha! The author also adds in fairytales which I thought was fun too.

Overall, this was cute and I can see many enjoying this one.
Hooky is a lovely little read that will put a smile on your face. For booksellers, add this to your rec list this holiday season, it is an easy sell.
Amazing as a webcomic Hooky switched nicely into a graphic novel format. The main characters Dorian and Dani have such amazing character development throughout the story and you can see them age which is great. With a light hearted art style it still has a plot with a serious turn that you wouldn’t except going into it but is utterly beautiful.
Possibly the most beloved and epic story that ever started with missing a school bus. Sweet, riveting, and enchanting in more ways than one.
A cute story about twin witches Dani and Dorian who go on an adventure to join a school for witches. These two come from a long line of powerful witch families, but their journey to school ends sooner than expected when the two miss the magical bus that portals magical students to the place of their education. Unable to go home and face the embarrassment and disappointment of their parents, the two seek out their aunt in order to begin their studies.

But thanks to a task to deliver a witch hunter to the prison of witches, the two get labeled as traitors to their kind and are hunted down. This prompts them to flee to an unknown location where they are taken in by master Pendragon...a witch in his own right. His task is to lead and teach these two apprentices to become kind witches and circumvent and age old prophecy of a Wytte witch becoming the evil ruler of the witches.

During their time here, shenanigans ensue... including crushes, rescuing princes, befriending a princess and the two witches trying to pave their own futures outside of what the world expects from them.

The artwork is cute and well done, the characters are endearing and you just can't help finding a place for all of them in your hearts...except maybe Pendragon...I still don't know about him yet.

Highly recommend for young readers and adults alike.