Cover Image: Hooky

Hooky

Read this back when it was on WebToon, and absolutely loved it. Recently received my copy for my library so happy to share this with my patrons. Thank you NetGalley for reminding me why I loved this graphic novel so much.
I really enjoyed reading this graphic novel and know this is one the kids at our library will love. The dynamic between brother and sister was both relatable and heart warming. The magical world was very immersive which I really enjoyed. It was one of those books that kept you thinking about magic even after finishing the book!
Two twins, one prophecy, and a lot of hijinks.  Two kids miss the bus to magic school and are trying to find a teacher before their parents find out they aren’t at school. Hooky was a webtoon by Miriam Bonastre Tur.  Once I heard it was a webtoon I decided to check it out and compare the two formats.  I love that the graphic novel is not exactly like the webtoon. Extra detail was added to the art and the vocabulary.  The speech bubbles were also color coded which helped me follow the story a lot since I struggle with names and remembering who is who.  The added colors was just another visual clue that I really enjoyed. Even though the story wasn’t for me, I think my students would really enjoy it and the graphic novel is an upgrade from the webcomic.
4 stars.
This was a really cute story. I would recommend this book to tweens & teens that like magic & witches, as well as those who are into funny manga. The story has some great twists & turns but most of it isn't groundbreaking. A fun read.
I read this in one sitting and am desperate to continue reading this story. The characters, the artwork, that cliffhanger! Oh my goodness, this was a wild ride. I loved the art style and how the story really has its dark moments while also having some cute moments too. Highly recommend this one.
This graphic was not a favorite of mine. The artwork is lovely and the characters are cute and charming, but after that the story fell flat for me. It was far to rapid with no time to get to know the characters, and to be honest I had no idea what was going on after page 10. It felt very kitchen sink like, as though every fantasy element just HAD to be smooshed in. This is not to say that the novel is bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Lovely artwork, adorable characters, but a meh storyline.
I wish I had liked this book more.  This story reads like a bunch of various books, were cut out and then rearaged to make a new title.  For example, the first part of the book could have easily been Harry Potter book 2 when the kids miss their bus to witch school.  No they don’t steal a car but instead of telling an adult or calling their parents, they decide to find someone else to teach them magic.  The first stop does not work out so well, and they go to another.  This is just a series of mishap after mishap that wouldn’t happen if the kids stopped to think and used their brains. Apparently their brains are missing.  I really had high hopes for this and wanted to like it, but my galley expired, and I don’t care enough to get a copy to finish the last 30 or so pages.
Thank you to NetGalley for the chance to read and review Hooky by Miriam Bonastre Tur.

Hooky is a story of twins who get themselves lost on their way to magic school- hence the title, Hooky.
The art originally had me picking this ARC, and the inside did not disappoint. The artwork inside this graphic novel is cute and quirky and had a really wonderful muted palette that was really satisfying and pleasing to my eyes.

Hooky follows the twins getting themselves into mischief and mishaps as they try to find their way to magic school. The book was really fun and cute, and would be quite perfect for a wide audience of graphic novel and comic book lovers.

I would be interested in continuing with this series as it was a lovely and easy read that had me smiling.
I am so happy to see more Webtoon stories getting published in physical forms. Hooky by Miriam Bonastre Tur is a whimsical tale of magic and family. Twins Dani and Dorian go on an adventure and run into several characters throwing them into the story. The art for the story is really cool!

Thank you to Clarion Books and NetGalley for providing me with an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Hooky is the tale of two twins who get lost on their way to magic school. From the first page, Hooky hits the ground running with gorgeous and engaging art and adorable, relatable young protagonists. I love the limited color palette, especially for our main characters, who are distinct but still match as a set. Hooky will appeal to young readers who love fantasy adventures, but also to teens/young adults who love the Howl's Moving Castle cozy witch aesthetic (or the feel of Witch Hat Atelier).
Dani and Dorian, twins, are excited to start the new school year. There’s just one problem: they missed the bus, and the location of the magic school is top secret. Instead of going home, they decide to stay with their aunt and have her teach them magic all year. Things seem to be going well with their aunt until things take a turn for the worse when they get dubbed as traitors to all witches. Hunted and on the run, they find themselves studying under a soothsayer and befriending non-magical folk their parents always forbade them from being in contact with. With the help of their new friends, can their clear their names and see their family again?

When I picked this up, I was expecting a cute story about witches. What I didn’t expect is that the characters would be so well developed that I was sad when I reached the final chapter. Initially, we follow Dani and Dorian as they find themselves in a bit of a pickle in the magic community. As the story continues, more characters join them, so we also follow a princess, an orphan, and a popular boy in town. Their personalities clash, but they quickly grow to become close friends running headfirst into adventure after adventure.

One of the things that I love about the story is that none of the characters are perfect. We watch each of these characters struggle with their insecurities and focus on their flaws rather than the good. As the story progresses, we watch them form a strong bond and begin to focus on their strengths. We also see them start to realize that they’re stronger as a team, so they need to stop trying to leave each other behind. I loved watching how each of them developed as characters and the messages it sends to young readers.

All in all, this was a truly magical read. I’m looking forward to checking out the author’s other works in addition to seeing more of their beautiful artwork.
Cute graphic novel about witchy siblings and all of their mishaps and adventures. I thought this was really fun and can’t wait to see more.
At first, I thought this was just a weird, almost nonsensical story of magic. A couple of trainee witches having misadventures and causing chaos. And that's a lot of it. Random things happen. Some get resolved, others carry into other chapters. There's not especially clear explanation for any of it. It took a while to realized that something bigger was building under the surface, a more complicated plot of betrayal evil and so on.
A little too long, and a little too busy for me personally, but the art style is very cute and the story is fun!
This was very cute. The art style is perfect for getting lost in and I found myself smiling while reading it. The sibling relationship is charming, as well, and I liked watching their personalities collide and mesh. Really precious!
The story was so memorable and the art style was amazing, reminded me of the art style some manga use. The characters and story arc were all so interesting. I loved the witchy aspect of the story, the prophecy, and the other characters who got involved with the twins.
Super entertaining. The illustrations are adorable and kids are going to clamor for the next book. As cliffhangers go, this one is really solid.

For Libraries: A solid middle grade graphic. NOTE: One use of the word "damn."
I read half of this book and DNF’d. Honestly, this could have been split into 3 books. It was far too long for a kids graphic novel. I liked the story, but it could have ended multiple times.
ARC REVIEW:

Webtoon turned physical book. Would definitely reach my webtoon fanatic middle grader patrons.
I originally started this series on WEBTOON, and I was super happy to see it come to book form.

I love the story concept and the artwork. I really enjoy all the characters as well. It makes for a great, quick read. I can't wait to read more!

Thanks to Clarion Books (formerly HMH Children's Books) and NetGalley for the ARC!