Cover Image: Hooky

Hooky

Hooky is a lovely little read that will put a smile on your face. For booksellers, add this to your rec list this holiday season, it is an easy sell.
Amazing as a webcomic Hooky switched nicely into a graphic novel format. The main characters Dorian and Dani have such amazing character development throughout the story and you can see them age which is great. With a light hearted art style it still has a plot with a serious turn that you wouldn’t except going into it but is utterly beautiful.
Possibly the most beloved and epic story that ever started with missing a school bus. Sweet, riveting, and enchanting in more ways than one.
A cute story about twin witches Dani and Dorian who go on an adventure to join a school for witches. These two come from a long line of powerful witch families, but their journey to school ends sooner than expected when the two miss the magical bus that portals magical students to the place of their education. Unable to go home and face the embarrassment and disappointment of their parents, the two seek out their aunt in order to begin their studies.

But thanks to a task to deliver a witch hunter to the prison of witches, the two get labeled as traitors to their kind and are hunted down. This prompts them to flee to an unknown location where they are taken in by master Pendragon...a witch in his own right. His task is to lead and teach these two apprentices to become kind witches and circumvent and age old prophecy of a Wytte witch becoming the evil ruler of the witches.

During their time here, shenanigans ensue... including crushes, rescuing princes, befriending a princess and the two witches trying to pave their own futures outside of what the world expects from them.

The artwork is cute and well done, the characters are endearing and you just can't help finding a place for all of them in your hearts...except maybe Pendragon...I still don't know about him yet.

Highly recommend for young readers and adults alike.
I absolutely LOVE this book! I read it when it was a webtoon and have already ordered the phsyical copy. This is a wonderful story that follows two sibling witches and their adventures in a magical world. Its action packed and full of excitement and adventure. I'd recommended it to anyone of any age looking for a book to really sink their teeth into!
Witchy siblings Dani and Dorian are in for far more than skipping class when they're too late for the private bus to witch school. After fleeing to a new town and befriending an unlikely group of comrades, they begin to uncover secrets behind an impending war between their own kind and non-witches... and it just might involve some of those that they hold dear. Hooky is a magical and exciting page-turner with twists around each avenue and point of view that will certainly keep you HOOKED!
What an imaginative and fantastic graphic novel! Adorable illustrations hiding a complex and sometimes rather dark plot, with twists and turns all along the way. I loved each character in their own right and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel!
Didn't finish this one. The art is lovely, but the story just didn't capture me. Part of that may have been reading the book in a digital format. I think I may have enjoyed this one better to read in it's original Webtoons formatting rather than the infinite book scroll. Just a personal thing. I might try it again when I can get a physical copy.
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Dani and Dorian miss the bus to magic school one day and what follows is an epic tale of adventure, hijinks, romance, friendship and a war between witches and regular people that could tear the world apart. I loved Dani and Dorian and all their friends, especially the peppy princess Monica and the cursed, miniature troublemaker Nico. Though the story did drag in places, the beautiful artwork more than makes up for it - it's bright and wonderful like something out of Studio Ghibli. I absolutely cannot wait for more of these books! And, since I am just now learning that this is a webcomic, I think I must now binge the whole thing. Go read Hooky everyone! You won't regret it.
For anyone else, missing the school bus is just a bad start to the day. For Dani and Dorian, it's pretty much the beginning of the end.

When twin witches Dani and Dorian miss the bus to magic school, there is one thing they know for sure: their parents will kill them. Thus begins their adventures as they seek out magical instruction from, well, just about anyone who will take them--so long as mom and dad never find out. What they don't expect is to be branded as traitors to their own kind, to be taken in as apprentices by an odd fortune-telling wizard who can actually see the future, to befriend a princess, a troublemaker, and a coffee-shop waiter.... and to be in the center of a dark prophecy that promises war.

"Hooky" is a beautifully written and illustrated tale of fantasy and friendship, with a brilliant balancing act of being light and happy, and dark and serious as the kids deal with prejudice towards witches and a broken kingdom. This is also only the first part of the story, leaving readers on a cliff-hanger of epic proportions (though, fortunately, this originated as a webcomic, so readers will quickly be able to get their hands on what comes next).

Perfect for anyone who loves Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Harry Potter, and The Okay Witch, "Hooky" is a fun and addictive graphic novel adventure!