Cover Image: The Singer and the Scientist

The Singer and the Scientist

With a couple of well known books about her, many young readers will be familiar with Marian Anderson. This particular story, though, will be new to most of us. We see Anderson as a vulnerable black woman, Einstein as a a kind and genuine person. How this pair who apparently had nothing in common formed a lasting friendship. A sweet story.
Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review Test review test review
There is not a single thing in this story no to love. The Illustrations are as beautiful as the story.
At a time when out nation and the world is in such distress, this is a perfect story to demonstrate acceptance of all,
Highly recommend all libraries order a few copies of this one as the message is written simple enough for a child to understand and this little book has the power to encourage a long needed change.
Lisa Rose has created a book that will touch hearts long after the story has been read .
Thank you NetGalley and Kar-Ben Publishing for allowing me the advanced copy of this title in exchange for my honest opinion.
It is a story that was real, it was real that black or dark-skinned people were treated that way in a racist way. This is why, you have to learn how people of color were treated, and even Albert Einstein as a Jew was hated by the Germans. What a tender story, me together with Albert with the singer, love. hahahah
While I know a bit about Marian Anderson, this story about her friendship with Einstein is completely new to me! The book is beautiful to look at -- truly a treat for all ages..
This was very informative and interesting! I will definitely want to read it with my kids, as we do a lot of biographies for history, especially about women (and most especially queer and/or women of color). I didn’t know that Albert Einstein was an activist, I don’t know that I really even ever learned that he was Jewish and from Germany, and I had never heard of Marian Anderson. In addition to the educational nature of this, I really enjoyed the art style.
I think this is an excellent book for kids in the kindergarten-elementary age. The story was engaging, and the illustrations are riveting. It even kept me, a 31-year old, entertained. I love a children's book I can learn from. Growing up, I never really heard much about Marian Anderson, let alone her friendship with the famous scientist Albert Einstein. So Rose has opened up my world to do further research on the two's relationship. I wish I could have seen from the story a deeper dive into the two's friendship. I think it could've solidified the story better, but I also understand that it is a children's book.
The Singer and The Scientist by Lisa Rose and illustrated by Isabel Munoz is a beautifully illustrated book that shares a written account of Marian Anderson’s performance at the McCarter Theatre in 1937 where she met Albert Einstein. This book is highly recommended and perfect for both children and adults. #TheSingerandtheScientist #NetGalley
The illustrations in this book are absolutely beautiful. The story itself is interesting as well, though I wish there would have been a longer author's note either at the beginning or end to fully explain the actual story for context.
What a wonderful story. A look at a true life event of Albert Einstein and a singer name Marion. This event is little known but is a great way to learn about segregation for various people.  The illustrations perfectly fit the book and it belongs on the shelf right next to all the Little People Big World and Who Is .. etc. This book is sure to be read for years to come both in libraries in class and at home.
I loved The Singer and the Scientist so much.  I had never heard this story before so I was happy to learn something new.  This story covers the disgusting Jm Crow laws at a very age appropriate level.  The illustrations were gorgeous.  I hope this author writes more stories like this.  I highly recommend this book.  Thank you to Netgalley and Kar-Ben Publishing for the ARC.  All opinions expressed are my own.
This was an incredibly cute and heartwarming story about how Einstein and Marian Anderson became friends over social injustice and love of music.

The illustrations were so cute you just wanted to hug them, but the way Einstein holds a violin really hurt me, and I have no connection to music. :D
The Singer and the Scientist is a charmingly illustrated book for young readers by Lisa Rose with illustrations by Isabel Muñoz. Due out 1st April 2021 from Lerner on their Kar-Ben imprint, it's 32 pages and will be available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats.

This is a well written account of Marian Anderson’s performance at the McCarter Theatre in 1937 where she met Einstein. The issues of race and segregated performances in the USA are handled in a sensitive and age appropriate manner. The text is well written and short and the illustrations are colorful and engaging. The book also includes a short retelling of the 1939 DAR concert cancellation (and Eleanor Roosevelt's subsequent resignation from the DAR and concert rescheduling at the Lincoln Memorial in front of an audience of 75,000 people).

I would recommend this one to public and school libraries, classroom use, or home library. Five stars.

The writer does a great job of taking a tough moment in history, capturing how sad it was and yet not being cliche in its exploration. It also captures the surprising generosity of a well-known man who's best-known for his scientific discoveries.
I had no idea about this story before.
What a beautiful narration weaving the problems of racism of the time whilst still keeping it suitable for middle graders. Loved the illustrations and the prose. An important book to read for the little ones that bring up race, Jews vs Nazis, music and friendship.
I loved it!
I loved this. I didn’t know about this story so reading it actually made me cry. The illustrations were awesome and perfect for the story telling.
I'd like to thank Kar-Ben Publishing for this review copy!

I love non fiction and I love children books so I was very excited for this book which recount the first encouter between the meeting and friendship of the singer Marian Anderson and Albert Einstein. I thought that the narration was very suitable for children, which are the targeted audience. I absolutely LOVED Isabel Muñoz's illustrations. They are lovely and really brought to life the characters emotions and personal experiences.

I'd totally recommend this book.
This is a great book! It blends together the empathy of two humans - discrimination by both a black woman and Jewish man and demonstrating their common understanding of the injustices they each experienced. They happened to be very talented and well known too!  Item we read about the accomplishments of the lives of people in history. This book invites us to read and learn about their hearts.
Thanks, NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group, for the ARC copy of this book.
Read and reviewed by seven-year-old Amy.
'The Singer and the Scientist' is a wonderful picture book.
Marian was a famous African-American singer. After performing in a concert, Marian found that the nearby hotels were all white hotels, and she wasn’t allowed to stay in any of them. Albert Einstein, who was also present at the concert, offered her to stay at his residence for the night.
This story tells us about how people faced discrimination in past times. I am glad that we live in better times now, and people do not have to face discrimination.
We also learned that Albert Einstein loved to play violin when he was only five-years-old. And even he faced discrimination in his homeland Germany.
There are colorful illustrations in this book that will keep the children engaged.
I recommend this book to children three years and above.
I give this book 5/5 stars.
I received an electronic ARC from Lerner Publishing Group through NetGalley.
Rose has created a beautifully written tribute to friendship and to breaking barriers. Marian Anderson performed at the McCarter Theater in Princeton, NJ in 1937. In the audience was another well known person, Albert Einstein. Following the performance, the glaring prejudice comes through when no one will speak to Marian nor will the hotel manager help her find a hotel room for the night. Einstein steps forward and steps up to greet her and offer his hospitality. Together, they share their experiences in Germany as a Jew and in America as a Black. Bonding over music, they begin a friendship that lasts for their lifetimes.
Readers see a different view of Albert Einstein in his role as a political activist and musician. They also see how bold Marian Anderson's choices were. Lovely illustrations bring the text to life.