Cover Image: A Changing Light

A Changing Light

This exciting, heartwarming seventh in the Quaker Midwife Mystery series in some ways takes us back to the start of the series, to the world-renown carriage manufacturers of Amesbury. As in the earlier novels, I enjoyed reading about the historical period in late 1800’s New England. We revisit one of the famous residents, John Greenleaf Whittier and see the potential future of the carriage industry. As I enjoy historical fiction and cozy mysteries, this is a double winner. The characters are personable, and relevant backstory is provided for anyone who hasn’t read earlier novels.

Spring 1890 was memorable for Rose Carroll Dodge and her husband, David. Married the autumn before, they are expecting their first child in mid-summer. Her beloved midwife mentor, Orpha, and John Whittier, part of the Amesbury Quaker Meeting House and Rose’s friend, are older and frailer. It is hard for her to see the changes in two people she loves dearly. Many people have contracted tuberculosis and pose a risk to everyone in town.

Rose has been a midwife for a few years with an excellent reputation. Annie, the young woman she has mentored, is ready to go out on her own. Instead, Rose gives Annie the opportunity to be her midwife and become her business partner.

It is the annual Spring Opening held for the carriage industry. It draws representatives of companies from as far away as Australia with promise of new excitement that could change the industry beyond their dreams. Ned Bailey, from one of the top carriage factories, introduced Rose to Justice and his wife, Luthera, representing Luthera’s father’s carriage company in Ottawa. Much later that night, Justice was found murdered, shot in the back.

Kevin, now acting police chief, has always received good information from Rose and asked for her input. When he sees she has a “wee bun in the oven”, he is hesitant to see if she will let him know if she hears anything. Many people know Rose has helped solve several murders and come to her with what they hear or see. Unfortunately, one of the things she hears is that the night watchman saw someone running from where the body was later found, someone tall like the husband of Rose’s niece Faith. Zeb would never hurt anyone, but Kevin must question him. Rose learns about at least two other suspects and continues to ask around and listen.

We see glimpses of some of our favorite characters such as Jeanette, and new friend Mary Chatigny, a physician who specializes in treating TB. I enjoyed how much in love Rose and David are, and how far Annie and Faith have come since first meeting them. I did miss seeing Rose and David’s parents and Emmaline, Kevin’s wife.

The story held my attention throughout. I appreciated seeing Rose experience for the first time some of the events her patients were familiar. I also appreciated the Author’s Note about historical events. The murder had a complication, yet despite some of the evidence, I had a good idea whodunit. The solution presented itself at incredible risk, yet the novel ending was very satisfactory. I highly recommend this novel to fans of historical cozy mysteries of late 1800’s America, the series itself, and appreciation of medical and technological changes of the era.

From a thankful heart: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher and NetGalley, and this is my honest review.
A Changing Light earns 5/5 Innovations...Engaging Historical Mystery!

Electrifying! Edith Maxwell again brings to life a realistic glimpse, good and bad, into the late nineteenth century with, at the center, Rose Carroll Dodge, the lovely, yet capable, young Quaker midwife who is now pregnant herself. It’s Spring Opening, oddly set at the end of winter, and Amesbury, Massachusetts, is attracting visitors from all over the world. The planned events include social gatherings, soirées, and the carriage companies opening their doors to the public; it’s a great boast for local businesses and good PR for the carriage industry. But, the brutal murder of a Canadian executive from Canada’s biggest carriage company has taken over the headlines. Justice Harrington was shot multiple times in the back, and now acting Chief of Police Kevin Donovan has asked Rose to be alert for any gossip that might bear enough fruit to make an arrest. He also shares with Rose that plans for a new innovative horseless carriage design have gone missing. They both agree a connection to both crimes is likely. Along with a clever, complex murder mystery keeping readers engaged, there is a fascinating look into the thee-s and thy-s of Rose’s Quaker beliefs and practices along with midwifery, the women who provide assistance, and the women they help in a society. Also woven throughout is a look at society’s limitations and separations, and the fear many have with cases of tuberculosis effecting everyone. It’s also an era on the verge of many innovations, some with resistance, that today have become ingrained in our modern lives, but there’s a contemporary feel with talk of electric carriages and the cases of consumption running ramped in the community. All of the historical details or based-on-history events and characters makes one humbled by the level of research that Maxwell accomplished for this book and the series itself (See Author’s Notes). Maxwell doesn’t make this a fact after fact history book; her entertaining narrative, descriptive language, clever banter, and well-developed characters make for a thrilling tale of epic proportions. Quite the page-turner experience!

For me, it’s been the rich characters that kept me an eager fan. Rose’s transformation from apprentice to professional midwife, from colleague to friend, from wife to new mother along with her family and friends has been fun to follow. I understand this may be the final installment. Despite missing the first two stories with Rose, I am glad I was introduced to the series. It provided a great deal of fascinating information and inspiring characters.
A Changing Light by Edith Maxwell is another in her fabulous Quaker Midwife series of mysteries. It is the 1890's and the world is on the cusp of change. Rose and David have married and are expecting a child. They are living in the new house David had built' one with an office for Rose and Annie. Rose is spending time every day with her mentor, Orpha, who is dying. Life is moving along apace. In town there is the annual showing of the carriage industry and one night Rose meets Mr. and Mrs. Harrington, the largest carriage manufacturers in Canada. The next day Mr. Harrington is dead. Rose is determined not to get involved, despite the fact that her friend, Kevin, has been appointed acting police chief. Her baby is too precious to put at risk, but she does see many people each day and can listen to their talk and ask questions, certainly.

Rose is insightful and caring. Her natural curiosity makes sleuthing second nature to her. She is fortunate that David is supportive. The mystery is a good one with plenty of misdirection and full of red herrings. Rose has such a wide acquaintance that she sees and hears everything and has the facility to put seemingly disparate pieces together. The mystery is a good one, and real. Maxwell is a master of pacing as always. It is fun to see the new world unfolding while the old one is still dominant. This is a good series, and this, a good book. Read it!

I was invited to read a free ARC of A Changing Light by Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #achanginglight
A CHANGING LIGHT by Edith Maxwell
The Seventh Quaker Midwife Mystery

It's Spring Opening and carriage makers from all over the world are gathering in Amesbury, Massachusetts. Rose Carroll Dodge has more on her mind than carriages, however. The midwife is now expecting a baby herself. But as new life is preparing to enter the world, Rose's mentor and good friend is preparing to leave it. While Orpha has led a good long life, a Canadian visitor's life is cut short. The carriage maker was found shot in the back. Was another carriage maker to blame? What about his wife, who seems to find business more important than the loss of her husband? Is the green eyed Brazilian to blame, or is the murderer closer to home? Rose can't help but sink her teeth into another mystery, but will doing so put her and her unborn child at risk?

I love the smart and capable Rose Carroll Dodge. A CHANGING LIGHT proves both her intelligence and her ability to ferret out the truth. I absolutely love Dr. Chatigny (a spin-off mystery series, perchance?) and the manner in which she and Rose work together to stop the killer is brilliant and oh so satisfying. Although the novel takes place in the 1890s, I find it wonderful how the women are free thinking, and acting, and are able to take care of themselves.

As much as I love the characters and setting, I also enjoyed the mystery. Plenty of red herrings led me to question the motive for murder as well as the suspects. I appreciate how Rose works with Kevin, now Acting Police Chief, and delight in his acceptance of her and the fact he values her thoughts and opinions.

Joy, grief, and murder combine to make A CHANGING LIGHT an intriguing and heartfelt mystery. I loved my time with Rose and only wish it was longer.
A Changing Light is the seventh book in the Quaker Midwife Mystery series by Edith Maxwell.

Rose and David Dodge are enjoying married life and are very happy to be expecting their first child in a few months.  And David will be looking for a suitable site for him to open an office in Amesbury.

Amesbury is seeing an increase in visitors as it is time for the annual Spring Opening.  The Spring Opening is where all the local carriage companies will be displaying their latest carriages.  Guests come from all over, including Canada and South America.

On the first day of the event, as Rose was walking thru town, Ned Bailey, of the Bailey Carriage manufacturers, introduces her to Justice and Luthera Harrington.  Luthera’s family owns a carriage company in Canada in which Justice takes an active role.  The next day Rose learns that Justice Harrington had been shot and killed the night before.  Being pregnant and busy training a new midwife, she decides to forgo investigating the murder.   But acting Police Chief Kevin Donovan asks if she will be his “eyes and ears” and report anything that she might think has a bearing on the case.

Rose will enlist her niece, Faith, to help.  Faith is starting a career as a reporter and attending the event’s meetings and won’t be suspected of gathering information about the murder.  Rose will soon hear that plans for a horseless carriage have reportedly be stolen.  She suspects that the possible theft might be related to the Harrington murder.  When Faith’s husband might be involved in the murder, Rose knows that they find the killer soon.

The story is well-written, plotted, and historically accurate.   The characters are believable and well-developed.  There were enough red herrings that I was kept guessing until the end of the book as to the killer’s identity.

Since the first book, I have loved this series and am very said that this might be the last book in The Midwife series.  I hope that there might be more in the future, or at least a short story or novella, in which Rose, David, and family might appear.
Loved this latest in the Quaker midwife series! When a carriage expo is in town, one of the factory owners from Canada is murdered behind the opera house. Rose is not anxious to be involved but finds herself drawn into helping to solve the mystery. Rose also faces some personal issues, her pregnancy, the death of her mentor and her husband's worry for her and their unborn child. A good story, wonderful characters and a sentimental ending all make this a great read!
Another excellent mystery in this fine series!

As the nineteenth century draws to a close, changes are afoot in Amesbury as progress is unstoppable. With the annual Spring Opening occurring, when the town's carriage manufacturers attract visitors from all around the world, it's an exciting time. When one of the visiting dignitaries is murdered and it is discovered that revolutionary plans for a horseless carriage have gone missing, Rose finds herself wondering if this is a double crime?

I adore this series, and have done from the very first. The amount of research carried out by Edith Maxwell is staggering and I enjoy discovering all about it. She always creates a clever mystery entwined with the lives of the population of Amesbury. I particularly find the references to the Quaker faith illuminating and consider their manner of worship both peaceful and soothing, especially admiring that Rose practices her faith 24/7 and is constantly trying to be a better person. Another cracking mystery along with the delights of catching up with how Rose's life is progressing. I really hope this is a series with a lot of life left in it as I enjoy it so much. Thoroughly entertaining and highly enjoyable, it comes with my recommendation and 4.5*.

My thanks to the publisher for my copy via NetGalley; this is - as always - my honest, original and unbiased review.
As the nineteenth century nears an end, midwife Rose Carroll can see signs of progress and change everywhere in her Amesbury community. Adding to the excitement is the annual Spring Opening, when the town’s world-famous carriage manufacturers throw open their doors to visitors from all over the globe. This year’s festivities are tainted, however, when a representative from a prominent Canadian carriage company is murdered.

Driven by her strong sense of justice, Rose is determined to track down the killer. She has only just begun her investigation when she learns that the plans for a radical new horseless carriage have gone missing. Faced with the question of whether the two crimes are connected—and a list of suspects that includes some of Amesbury’s own residents and any number of foreign visitors—Rose has to delve into a case with implications for the future, even if the motive for murder is one of mankind’s oldest . . .
Amazon.com

The title of this book refers to the changing of the seasons from winter to spring, but it also reflects changes in most of the major characters in this series. Main character Rose, now a married woman, has taken over from her retired mentor and contemplates taking on a professional partner. Of course, she still takes time to help police with their inquiries.

The title also applies to the technological changes that occur during the 1890s. This book is set in 1890. The cities have indoor water closets, electricity, and telephones, but the advent of the automobile or horseless carriages, as they were called, would soon arrive to the masses, changing life again.

This is the seventh book in the Quaker Midwife mystery series and will be released next Tuesday, April 13. Please welcome Edith Maxwell back to WWK.              E. B. Davis

When I looked up the word “midwife” the history of the word was from middle English for “with mother.” Before doctors, was birthing up to women, such as an experienced mother?

First, let me thank you, Elaine, for these insightful interview questions. You’re the best! As for midwives, absolutely. Women have always helped other women give birth, for as long as we have records of any history.

What is the difference between a midwife and a doula?

A trained, experienced midwife facilitates the birth. She helps the laboring woman be comfortable and secure that she is in good hands and capable ones, which helps the birth progress with the least amount of fear. The midwife catches the baby, makes sure the placenta is birthed and is intact, and is primarily responsible for the health of the mother and baby.

A doula, which I was for some years, provides support to the laboring woman and her partner. She can spell the father or partner so they can take a rest or go get a bite to eat. In a medical setting, the doula might provide explanations for what is happening. In a home setting, she could make sure older children are cared for. The doula often also provides post-partum support and breastfeeding counseling. Rose pretty much filled all the roles of both midwife and doula.

Are there still midwives?

Of course! The Midwives Alliance of North America is the professional organization of independent midwives, who oversee the majority of home births. One can find certified nurse midwives practicing in free-standing birth centers and hospitals everywhere.

Rose admits to using antiquated speech substituting the word “thee” for “you.” Why does she do that? Do Quakers today still use this idiom?

Historically, “thee,” the second person singular, was used for families and those of lesser stature, as is still the case in most Romance languages. “You” was used as sign of respect for higher-ups. Because early Friends believed all were equal in God’s eyes, they refused to use the “you” form. (Men kept their hats on indoor and didn’t doff them in greeting for similar reasons.) Now, of course, the language has changed and the use of “thee” sets Quakers apart as different. Some Friend still use the “thee” forms among themselves or with their families.

Why do Quakers refer to Sunday as First Day? Wouldn’t it be Last Day, going by what the Christian Bible says of God reserving the 7th day as one of rest?

Good question – I have no idea! In general, Friends avoid the common names of the week and months because they are named for gods.

I thought Quaker men and women sat at opposite sides of the church. In A Changing Light, men and women sit together?

Men and women sat together during weekly Meeting for Worship. But for the monthly business meetings, the center divider of meetinghouses like Amesbury’s would be lowered (we still use the original windlass and crank system in the attic) so women could conduct their business separately from the men.

Rose says she’ll pray after the manner of Friends. What is the manner of Friends?

Silently. Inwardly. Holding a person or situation in God’s Light. Waiting for an answer.

Were midwives used not only to bring new life into the world but also used to help the old or ill out of this life?

Traditionally that is true. These days, not so much, but I love the idea. I suppose some hospice nurses act as death midwives.

What is the Aesthetic Style of dress Rose sought for use during her pregnancy?

It was a loose, flowing style of dress that didn’t require a corset. I’ve seen pictures featuring pleats or gathers coming from the shoulders. It turns out to be perfect for pregnancy, too.

Why must Rose wear muted colors? Do the Quakers, like the Amish, try not to call attention to themselves with bright or shiny colors and fabrics?

Quakers believed the simple styles of “plain dress” for both men and women were more modest and didn’t waste energy and money on things that didn’t matter. Rose was not obliged to wear gray or black, but flounces and bright colors were frowned upon.

What is this mullein leaf Rose uses for rouge?

Common mullein, Verbascum Thapsus, is a hairy perennial. It has been used for a number of herbal remedies, but the slightly abrasive nature of the leaves is what gave rise to the term, “Quaker rouge.”

Is Orpha a mystic or seer?

Not specifically, no. The way I have written Orpha throughout the series is as a wise old woman. She has a deep and keen intuition about life. She also knows Rose well – in fact, she was the midwife at Rose’s birth.

The murder and investigation happened during the 1891 Spring Opening in which the carriage manufacturers held a trade convention in the town of Amesbury, Rose’s hometown. When a character mentioned self-propelled carriages, there is some skepticism, and yet, Carl Benz built the first motorized car in 1885. The new industry was about to come into being. Why the naysayers?

Goodness, aren’t there always naysayers for any new invention? Benz was in Europe. Amesbury was devoted to its carriages. It took another few decades for motorcars to be widely accepted in the United States, and even longer for roads infrastructure to be developed.

I must admit, I didn’t correlate carriages with automobiles. I relate their development more to the combustion engine even though I know for a time electric motors were used. (The oil lobby is responsible, I think.) I don’t know why I didn’t put the two together. There’s that suspension stuff to deal with that must be inherent in carriage-making, but the first real auto was more of a motorized tricycle than a carriage. Did many carriage companies start making automobiles or yes, cars (I guess short for carriages!)?

They certainly did in Amesbury. It was becoming quite the center for automobile body manufacturing. The Bailey company made and sold electric cars in the first two decades of the twentieth century. Two are still owned by the family and still run! Detroit won out, of course, as the motorcar city.

Rose is in the healthcare field. Her husband is a doctor and another character, a woman, is a doctor specializing in tuberculosis. They knew what caused it but had no cure. They also knew how communicable the disease was. Were people with the disease treated like those with leprosy? Both are bacteria related.

TB sufferers weren’t shut away like those with leprosy. Many who could did travel to stay in the sanitariums that were being built in the mountains and places with clean air. It was called “taking the cure.” The sick rested, often bundled up outside, and were well fed and had clean water. It wasn’t necessarily a cure, but it did help.

Have you ever lived in Amesbury? Did you rely on old maps of the town when describing the setting?

I have lived in Amesbury for nine years now, but I’ve been visiting every Sunday to attend Amesbury Friends Meeting since 1989. After we moved here, I realized how much I adore local history and have been soaking it up ever since. I love the old aerial maps (I read they went up in hot air balloons to draw the town) and own digital copies of the 1880 and 1890 versions, so I can zoom in on street and business names. When I walk all over town, as is my habit, I’m usually plotting the next Rose Carroll mystery and imagining where she will explore.

Why do people withhold information from the police/investigators?

People like to hang onto their secrets for many reasons: a sense of guilt, real or imagined; worry about their reputation or that of their family; a lack of information about the crime; and more. Rose has a good working relationship with the police detective, and one of her roles has been to tease that information out of those who are trying hold it close.

The 1890s must have been an exciting time to live. Indoor bathrooms, telephones, electricity were in use in homes (at least in the more urban areas). And yet medicine lagged behind and refrigerators decades before their invention. There are so many corollaries to our own age in terms of technology. Did you feel those ties between the eras when writing this series?

So much change was happening in 1890 and after. All what you named, plus police procedure like fingerprinting. Medical innovations such as blood typing, which led to reliable and life-saving blood transfusions. And the motorcars.

I always feel ties to the past. The Bailey family in the books lived in my house, which was built in 1880 for the Hamilton Mill workers. This area of town didn’t get indoor plumbing (yeah – bathrooms…) until after 1920, even though the local self-dubbed Titans of Industry made it happen for their own fancy homes at the time of A Changing Light.

Technology today reflects similar lags between the elites and others. Think of those in areas where teachers and students in the last year have had to sit in parking lots with wifi access to do their work or homework. Or kids who had to share one smart device with parents trying to work from home and older siblings in Zoom classes.

Why did you decide to bring the series full circle?

Ah, such a good question. After Llewelyn Publishing decided to drop Midnight Ink, its crime fiction imprint, many of us authors were left with orphaned series. Some debut authors like the uber-talented Kellye Garret. Some previously published authors starting fabulous new series, like Susan Oleksiw. And more than one was stranded mid-series, like my Agatha-Award-winning Quaker Midwife Mysteries. I wasn’t done with Rose’s story when they cut me off after book four, Charity’s Burden.

My agent inquired various places. We finally moved the series to Beyond the Page Publishing, who agreed to pick up the series, giving me a three-book contract.

A Changing Light is the third book with BtP. The editing is excellent, and I love the covers, but they do not participate in publicizing the books. And, while readers who like this series adore it, there aren’t quite enough of them for me to justify spending a third of each year writing a new book that doesn’t bring in that much money.

So, A Changing Light finishes the series. I’m happy I could do it on my own terms, leaving Rose and my 1890 version of Amesbury in a good place. (But don’t worry, I have a new historical series brewing.)

Please help me celebrate release day with a Facebook party. Historical mystery author Nancy Herriman and I will be chatting with readers and giving away goodies from 7-9 pm EDT on April 13. I’d also love it if you join Hallie Ephron and me in a Zoom chat about A Changing Light on April 22 at 7 pm EDT. There will be door prizes! Link to register is here.
Since you are on the SinC Guppy Steering Committee and Hallie Ephron just finished teaching a SinC Guppy course for me, I hope many Guppies will participate.
Come back to WWK and visit again—when we’ll find out about that new historical series you have teased us with!
Agatha Award-winning author Edith Maxwell writes the Quaker Midwife Mysteries, the Local Foods Mysteries, and short crime fiction. As Maddie Day she pens the Country Store Mysteries and the Cozy Capers Book Group Mysteries. Maxwell is a member of Mystery Writers of America and a lifetime member of Sisters in Crime. She lives with her beau and maniac cat north of Boston, where she writes, gardens, cooks, and wastes time on Facebook. She hopes you’ll find her at Edith M. Maxwell and Maddie Day Author.
I hate to say goodbye, as I have enjoyed this series, and being with Rose Carroll Dodge, as she goes about her midwife duties and everyday life. Unfortunately, there is usually a body that shows up, and our Rose uses her sleuthing ability to help solve another murder.
The author has given us such a great series, we get a look into the Quaker religion, and a look at life in the nineteenth century New England!
There is excitement in the Town of Amesbury as they welcome Spring Opening, and show their world famous carriages. There is also talk of a new invention of a horseless carriage, and then a murder.
Come and travel in Roses shoes as she bring in new lives, and says goodbye to a dear friend, and embarks on a new adventure!
This book can be read alone, but we do meet up with a lot of old friends from previous books, and they are all equally good!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Beyond The Page, and was not required to give a positive review.
Rose Carroll, a Quaker midwife, is pregnant with her own first child.  No lazy days for this mama-to-be, however, as Rose soon inserts herself into a murder investigation.  This is the 7th novel in a series that focuses on midwife/mystery-solving Rose and her community.

I had a really difficult time getting into this one.  If you're interested in the Quaker culture, you may be interested in this series.  It just wasn't quite for me.
Quaker midwife Rose Carroll is now married to Dr. David Dodge and she is still involved in solving crimes. When a Canadian carriage maker, in town for the annual Spring Opening, is found murdered and another carriage maker claims his new plans have been stolen, Acting Police Chief Kevin Donovan knows he needs Rose's assistance. This time, Rose isn't so eager to be involved as she is five months pregnant, but she does what she does best, talks to people and gathers information. A bittersweet entry into this lovely, kind series.
The latest (and perhaps last?) book in the Quaker Midwife Mystery series finds Rose Dodge happily married to her beloved David, delivering babies and apparently well-adjusted to married life. Amesbury is awash with visitors from near and far for the Spring Opening, a trade show for carriage makers. The horseless carriage still a novelty, manufacturers from around the world have gathered to showcase the latest and greatest designs and technologies. A murder of a conference attendee on the first night sends the town into a spin, and Rose is soon on the case. As usual, she tangles with suspects, sifts through red herrings, and deals with personal tragedies.

While still enjoyable, the mystery wasn't terribly compelling. I wanted to know more about a central figure's backstory: what - or who - made her into the cold customer she was. Perhaps a bit more about the ugliness that shaped the person behind the beautiful facade? There seemed to be a flimsy excuse for the murder itself, and many of the interactions between characters seemed to re-acquaint the reader with people from previous books rather than advancing the plot. Themes of beginnings and endings were ever present, and in one poignant development, Rose had the honor of assisting someone close to her on their deathbed.

Rose and David's marriage seems very modern - and a fantasy view of modern life at that. A 19th C Manic Pixie Dream Husband, he cooks, is progressive, supportive of his wife's career, never argues with her, and has no desires of his own outside of making Rose's life as ease-filled as she'll allow. He's too good to be true in this day and age and beggars belief for the time period. I'd have appreciated getting a glimpse behind his mask of perfection.

'A Changing Light' is well-worth the read, especially if you've devoured the previous novels in the Quaker Midwife series.  Maxwell's writing flows well and chapters fly by - no plodding devices used here! A wrap-up of Rose's current story,  the door is left open to more adventure, either in a continuation of this series or cameos in other books. I felt as if I was catching up with an old acquaintance over many cups of coffee, knowing that we may not see each other again for some time. It's always a pleasure to see you , Rose Carroll Dodge.

3.5/5 *

A sincere "Thank You!" to Beyond the Page Publishing and NetGalley for allowing me to receive an advance copy of the book to read and review!
Grateful that Beyond the Page publishers gave me a digital copy of A CHANGING LIGHT to read in exchange for an honest review.  I requested it because this is my genre.

The latest in the Quaker Midwife mystery series takes place during a gathering of business owners.  They own carriage making companies, including companies based in town.  Rose Carroll Dodge, the Quaker midwife and her husband Dr, Dodge are expecting their first baby.

Before the baby arrives, there is another murder.  One of the business owners is a murder victim and the police chief asks the Quaker midwife for help.  And Rose's mentor Orpha is dying.

Loved the characters, the plotting and the setting of Amesbury, MA.  I always learn something new about the Quakers while reading the mystery novels.

Content Warning:  Possibility of crying while reading the novel so have a box of tissues handy.
DESCRIPTION:
As the nineteenth century nears an end, midwife Rose Carroll can see signs of progress and change everywhere in her Amesbury community. Adding to the excitement is the annual Spring Opening, when the town's world-famous carriage manufacturers throw open their doors to visitors from all over the globe. This year's festivities are tainted, however, when a representative from a prominent Canadian carriage company is murdered.

Driven by her strong sense of justice, Rose is determined to track down the killer. She has only just begun her investigation when she learns that the plans for a radical new horseless carriage have gone missing. Faced with the question of whether the two crimes are connected—and a list of suspects that includes some of Amesbury's own residents and any number of foreign visitors—Rose has to delve into a case with implications for the future, even if the motive for murder is one of mankind's oldest . . .

The historical setting is beautiful , the townspeople are charming, and the plot  is a wonderful mystery! This book gives the reader a fascinating look at nineteenth-century American faith, culture, and small-town life.
The characters are well developed and the mystery is absolutely enjoyable.

I believe that any reader whom enjoys historical fiction will love this one!!

BOOK QUOTE:
“Last night I dreamed I gave birth to a frog. And it seemed perfectly normal to do so. The night before our baby was a full-grown three-year-old, even though I knew I’d given birth the day before.”

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Beyond the Page Publishing for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.

#PamelaReads2021 #AChangingLight  #NetGalley #EdithMaxwell #BeyondThePagePublishing
#100BooksIn2021 #ReadingChallenge2021
The seventh in a charming and tender series, this book has just the right balance of love, crime and murder.  The midwife angle is fascinating and the Quaker religion and cultural nuances are intriguing.

Set in the Victorian era, Rose, a midwife, is preparing for the arrival of her own little one but her pregnancy does not prevent her from forming her own ideas about a murder which occurs at a spring carriage show.  There are several possible suspects whom Rose interviews in her chatty way. She insists she is not investigating as she discusses her ideas with the police.  But there is much more to the story than murder...we also see the lives of Rose and her husband, a doctor.  I like that Rose is clever and uses her intelligence without being aggressive and overbearing.

This book would appeal to Mystery and Historical Fiction readers who enjoy this author and/or gentle books without anything graphic.  A truly refreshing read.  More, please!

My sincere thank you to Beyond the Books Publishing and NetGalley for the privilege of reading this delightful book.
#AChangingLight #NetGalley 4.5 stars rounded to 5."Edith Maxwell is an Agatha-Award winning and national bestselling mystery author.She writes the historical Quaker Midwife Mysteries",which was nominated once and won the Agatha Award once.

I definitely will try one of those two books,(one is a a short story) as this seems to be the end of this series. Rose Carroll, now married and expecting a child is drawn into a murder investigation that occurred at an annual event in her town Amesbury. Apparently as usual, she throws herself into helping the police solve this crime and has her own life threatened.

The well done epilogue shows Rose and her newborn daughter and her husband discussing how the crime was solved and agreeing that there would be no more "detective" work. Very easy to read and enjoyable book. 4.5 stars rounded to 5."Edith Maxwell is an Agatha-Award winning and national bestselling mystery author.She writes the historical Quaker Midwife Mysteries",which was nominated once and won the Agatha Award once.

A further story in the life of Quaker midwife cum unofficial detective in 19th century America. This time she assists in uncovering the murderer of a visiting Canadian - down for the Spring Opening of carriage-makers' wares in the town. There's much more about her personal life this time - the loss of her mentor, her married life with David and their joyful pregnancy - and this just took over too much for me. From being in early pregnancy at the start to having produced the offspring at the end I'm wondering if she needs a break whilst the author finds more time to think about the murder mystery side of Rose's life. Thanks to NetGalley and Beyond the Page Publishing for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
A charming mystery featuring a late 19th century Quaker midwife with interesting historical details about carriages and revolutions happening in science and technology.  The characters are well developed, the mystery satisfying and the flow is smooth.  While this is the 7th, and probably last in the series…at least for a while, there was no need to read the others to understand what was going on.  It just promises interesting relationships and stories that I have yet to explore and look forward to.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a free copy of the ARC in return for an honest review.
Terrific ending to an outstanding series. A midwife who is ready to give birth solves a murder. Well written and well drawn characters.