Cover Image: The Brittanys

The Brittanys

I absolutely felt like I was back in high school and I kind of loved it. It was super nostalgic feeling, especially with the friend group dynamics (ours, thankfully, were a lot less dramatic). I love the cover. I loved the writing. Brittany Ackerman is officially on a list of authors I will read more from. Love her so much! This book was EVERYTHING.
This book was a slow burn, but not in a bad way I definitely recommend if you are looking for a throwback, teenage years read.
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I requested this book based on the fact that it was about a group of girls all named Brittany. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and my name is Heather. To say there were a few other girls with my name is an understatement. Once I began the book I was glad I had requested it. The Brittanys is about being fifteen. It reads as a journal or diary of one of the girls has been published with a few insights added from the adult author interspersed later. This is done in italics and it was a bit confusing at first. Maybe footnotes would be better?

I was expecting more group antics and possibly hearing other POVs, but the heart of this story is about how at fifteen you sometimes realize the person you thought was your BFF might not be your BFF forever. As adults we forget how exciting life can feel as a teenager. How all the emotions are oversized and how friends are your entire world. While this story was about a white, wealthy, female I do think the underlying feelings of insecurity can be universal. Were these girls extremely fortunate to not have to deal with real life issues? Absolutely. However, at one point we learn the narrator's brother has been abusing pills and it comes as a shock to her. Though a few times she mentions behavior that I immediately marked as him having issues with substances. Teens are usually wrapped up in themselves and their friend group. The narrator not noticing this should not be a surprise.

I thought the author wrote teens well. I have a fifteen year old daughter right now. It is a tumultuous time. As adults we have to remember the world is still new to them and they are trying to figure out how to navigate it all on their own. To me the most annoying character was how the narrator's mom was written. At one point she sets up a sleepover at a friend's house for her daughter without consulting her. Another time she talks an older boy into inviting her daughter and the daughter's friend to a party. No. Just no. No mom is interfering that much in her teen's social life. If the mom had seemed more like she was trying to be the "cool mom" ala Amy Poehler in Mean Girls this might feel right, but here it just came across as weird.

Overall if you want to be transported back to your teen years for a little while this book is for you. I did not relate to the situations our MC found herself in, but I absolutely remembered the feelings she experiences. If you do not like reading the inner workings of an adolescent's mind then skip this one.
The Brittanys may not be the most popular in their wealthy private school, but at least everyone knows their names. Our narrator is a Brittany and narrates her experience in school and drifting apart from her best friend, another Brittany.

This book reads like a diary with the gossip and day to day high school activity. Nothing is held back, the narrator is very honest and real about her life. I loved the italicized sentences of the narrator looking back as an adult; it’s almost like footnotes on the diary that she wrote after the fact. This allowed us to know what happened to the key player and how they fared as adults, which we don’t usually get with these type reads. I’m still a bit unsure if it’s completely fictionalized or not, but it’s still an interesting story regardless. This was definitely a character driven read. Nothing super exciting happens, but it is so true to life to what it feels like to be a 14-15 year old navigating the shark infested waters of high school.

“I don’t think being boy crazy is a bad thing. It’s what we all talk about all the time. Our purpose for getting dolled up and coming to school each day is that a boy might like us and kiss us, talk to us, ask us to go on a date to the movies or to walk around the mall or to go to the park in his neighborhood and lie in bed with him until he tells you you’re beautiful.”

The Brittanys comes out 6/15.
I just couldn’t get into this book. I struggled to connect with any of the characters. I wanted to love the book as the premise seemed incredibly fun however this one just wasn’t for me.
This was disappointing. I love reading about friend groups and was expecting for this to be more about ALL of the Brittanys, not just two. I think the author definitely accurately portrayed how horrible young teens treat each other during this stressful and confusing time in life. However, the tone of the entire book was so monotone and bored, it had a lot of trouble holding my attention. Kids at this age are all about hysterics and overdramatic emotions, and I didn't feel that here at all.
The Brittanys by Brittany Ackerman was an original  story but, unfortunately, it fell a little short for me.  I found that I just wasn’t invested in the outcome and wasn’t enjoying it like I thought I would.
I really liked the concept and time period but felt like it just needed something more substantial to it.
My god, if you ever wax nostalgic about your high school career in the early aughts, this book is for you. The Brittanys might not be the most popular girls in school, but everybody knows who they are. The Brittanys run in a pack, all five of them - but two of them, our narrator, and Brittany Jensen - are inseparable. But as high school begins and their worldviews begin to widen - it seems that Brittany Jensen has other ideas about where she'd like to go - ideas that don't match up with what our narrator has in mind. Not to mention, our narrator is coming to terms with a few things that could change her life. With wit and wisdom, our narrator looks back on her younger years, deciphering her teendom with a perspective that only age can give.

Thank you to NetGalley and Vintage for advance access to this title!
I received this advanced e-book copy of The Brittany’s from NetGalley for my honest review. I was intrigued by the description of this novel as a young adult coming of age book. The main character read very, very young to me and seemed more like a middle grade novel with YA themes. The stream of consciousness writing style is also not my favorite form to read. That being said, this was a quick and easy read.
Cute coming of age YA novel about a group of best friends at a Florida prep school. Work is intercut with interjections from the narrator in present-day looking back at her journey and friends. The premise seemed confusing yet I was intrigued to check it out. While it's not the best book I've ever read, I did enjoy it. It's well-written and engaging. The narrator's a bit too boy-crazy for my liking though. But all in all, it's a fun coming-of-age YA novel for teen girls.
I’m really not sure how I feel about this book. Did I enjoy it? Yes, but at the same time I found it to be a bit dull and plotless.

I did like how this book seemed like my friend group from my high school days. It felt like a walk down memory lane.
The Brittanys was like stepping back into my preteen/teenage years. The smell of Victoria’s Secret PINK body spray cannot escape my brain but this book provided a sweet step into memory lane. This novel kept me captivated and reminded me of a life that I once lived.

Our book opens up by diving into the relationship between Brittany and Jensen. We really get to see the closeness of two teenage girls and what it’s like to have your one best friend. But with the same breath, Ackerman displays how quickly life for a teenager goes. Hormones are flooding teenage brains at such a rate that yesterday’s drama can feel like it was light years away. The pacing is fast but overall quite enjoyable.

The only things that stood out to me were the italicized inserts of a later Brittany reflecting upon these moments. They seemed a bit random but did provide some closure however they could have executed differently. The dialogue was also odd at moments. Teens aren’t known for their riveting conversations but sometimes the conversations between characters were just very one-lined and silly.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to someone who is looking for a taste of overly perfumed 2000’s nostalgia. I definitely got a mature The Clique meets Pretty Little Liars (without the murder) vibes, and I loved it.

THANK YOU TO NETGALLEY FOR LETTING ME READ THIS NOVEL IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.
3.75 ⭐️‘s (rounded up)

Wow.  This was a step back in time to early high school (especially growing up in Florida) and the complicated world of friendships at that age.  It was so relatable and at times, a little uncomfortable because of the whole story.  It definitely read more a “year in the life of” story - and a little autobiographical by the main character - with her flashes to “what became of them”.     Easy read that brings back the feels of being a high school - some good, some bad.   Wanted a little more of all the Brittanys and wanted a little more closure of some sort at the end...  but let’s be honest, high school friendships will always be a bit of an enigma.
Interesting slice of teenage life. Funny, sad, and often shocking, this book chronicles a group of friends navigating middle and high school. These kids have too little supervision and find themselves tangled up in drugs, sex, and relationships they aren’t ready for.
Unfortunately the e-copy I was has disordered and I wasn’t able to read the book! I love the premise and hope to read it when it’s published.
This book is not what I expected, which may be why I didn't enjoy it very much. It reads like a teen girls diary with some footnotes here and there where the author lets us know what's happened to these people in the present. I guess I was expecting more of a story line and less of a memoir about growing up as a teen in the early 2000's with tons of brand-name drops. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
I don’t know how to feel about this book honestly. I was so excited to read this but got let down.. The writing felt a little dull to me. Also didn’t have much character development. It just was meh
A poignant coming of age story that will take you back to your teenage years and all of the misery they held.  Brittany, one of the many, struggles with boys, drugs, drinking and changing friendships- most of us can and will relate to what she endures.
Was okay. I enjoyed the read, but the writing could have been better and character development, just okay for me.
Like everyone else on the planet, I’d rather eat a jean jacket than revisit my teenage years. Mine featured over-plucked, too-dark eyebrows, an accidental dye job from my natural dark blonde to bright ginger, and several pairs of ratty, slip-on Vans that will haunt me for the rest of my days.
Yet, taking a little detour down memory lane with Brittany Ackerman’s 2021 debut “The Brittanys” was well worth it.
Maybe not the most popular freshmen in school, the five Brittanys are known simply for their shared name and their unstoppable friend group. The fifth Brittany–who happens to be our narrator–wants the girls to shed their middle school selves and be somebody at their Florida prep school. But her best friend, Brittany Jensen, isn’t too keen on this transition into teenagers and adulthood. Alongside the pivotal people and events of her life, like her mother and going on her first date, readers are taken back to 2004 to relive Brittany #5’s teenage years and ultimately, life-changing moments.
As a 22-year-old, reading “The Brittanys” made me physically cringe as Ackerman recounted the horrendous 2000s fashion, awkward teenage dating, and the horrors of puberty. The honesty and accuracy of Ackerman’s writing brilliantly illustrate the inner-workings of teenage girls and the harsh coming-of-age moments we all encounter as young women. I can’t remember the last time I read a novel that so accurately portrayed the inner conflicts of teenage girls or the relationship dynamics of that age so well.
On top of Ackerman’s honest retelling of the dreaded teenage years, her poignant commentary on mother-daughter relationships, female friendships, and growing up shine through the diary-like, streams of consciousness the fifth Brittany recollects throughout the novel. Brittany #5’s commentary on her friendships with the Brittanys is terrifyingly relatable, especially for women growing up in the age of the Internet boom. There are moments where I question whether or not Ackerman read my mind as a teenager and put those thoughts onto paper–it’s that real.
Probably my only gripe with “The Brittanys” was how downplayed the main conflict between Brittany #5 and Jensen. I kept thinking to myself, “So when’s the big ‘uh-oh’ supposed to happen?” It was only until I had gotten to the Acknowledgements page I realized I had finished the book, leaving me wondering where the hell was the climax and ‘uh-oh’ moment?
Maybe I’m far too used to reading high-stakes, world-ending novels, but I was thoroughly disappointed with the anti-climatic climax and feeling like the conflict had been downplayed for the duration of the novel.
Although disappointed with the downplayed climax, the nostalgia and honest recollections of the dreaded teenage years are beautifully showcased with a no-holds-barred approach that’ll leave you walking down your own memory lane.