Cover Image: The Maidens

The Maidens

I was looking forward to this, but then I read the Silent Patient. I did not like it at all and that soured me on reading another book by this author.
This has been on my TBR since it’s release. Michaelides debut The Silent Patient has remained one of my favourite thrillers so I was really anticipating The Maidens and then all the mixed reviews were coming in and I decided to wait so here we are.

𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗲:
-I still very much love the style in which Michaelides writes, there is a haunting quality to it
-The audio was excellent, I think listening to it left me more in the dark on certain aspects of the plot because unlike many of you I did not guess who the killer was
-Little tie in from The Silent Patient was a clever touch
-The parallels to Greek mythology and the murders was brilliant
-The dark academia setting amongst the beautiful backdrop of Cambridge

𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗱𝗶𝗱𝗻’𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗲:
-Way too many red herrings, it absolutely was unnecessary to have this many tied in and I got a bit frustrated in the second half of the book
-Mariana the MC was a psychotherapist but she seemed to toss all her training out the window as she continued to break boundary after boundary professionally and personally
-I would of liked a bit more of Zoe’s character story she felt a bit flat for me

Overall I really did enjoy this I will continue to read anything Michaelides writes and I highly suggest listening to this one on audio as I think it will make for a more solid reading experience.
An engaging read, moving along at a comfortably quick pace. I really enjoyed the overall tone created by the setting and uneasy relationships between most characters. Also enjoyed that there were so many plausible routes the plot could have gone in, keeping me guessing until the end. Would recommend.
This was a slow burn book for me. I found I was unable to connect with the shallow characters. I might re read this in the future when I'm in a calmer mood.
I thought this was awful. The character were incredibly shallow and all of the men were absolute creeps. Our main character is truly pathetic about her extreme need for her late husband, has *daddy issues,* and is a terrible judge of character. Fosca is so obviously not the killer for the entire book and all of the red herring characters are so obvious.

Then, the ending twist isn't something we could have seen coming under any circumstances which is always such a cop out and it uses some really unsavory things as plot devices.
When a young girl is found brutally murdered, Mariana is convinced that a professor at her niece Zoe's school is responsible.  The girl was a member of group of young women "the Maidens" who follow and adore the professor in an apparent unnatural way.  When a second girl is found murdered, Marianna becomes obsessed with proving this to be true; but is it as obvious as that?  Other suspects appear in the twisty story right up to the disturbing end.
Sadly, this book took forever to get into. I didn't finish it. I definitely liked The Silent Patient better.
I read and really enjoyed SIlent Patient, so I was so excited to see this book come up. Unfortunately, this one did fall a bit short for me,  I couldn't get into the various plot points and didn't feel connected to any of the characters.

However, there are connections to Greek mythology which I thought was a new perspective for a thriller. It is an entertaining read if you are looking for a quick thriller.
Like most readers, I loved the twists and turns of The Silent Patient when it debuted. So much so, that I couldn’t wait to read the second book by this author, The Maidens.

Intertwined with Greek mythology, The Maidens opens with Mariana, a group therapist, recovering from her husbands sudden death. When her niece Zoe calls from university with news of her friends murder, Mariana goes running to her. She quickly fixates on professor Edward Fosca as the culprit and begins her own investigation in earnest.

I appreciated the mystery of this story as well as the twist I knew was coming - just didn’t know what it was. I also loved the minor tie in with The Silent Patient - so creative when authors use this element.  Looking forward to reading more from this author.
I found this novel predictable and boring. The characters were a mess and made poor decisions that made little sense in dangerous situations. It was not nearly as dark academia or Greek-focused as described, and I would truly like to know the word count on how many times the author mentioned Cambridge. I almost forgot where it took place. Add in the detestable actions of  Mariana’s fiancé and it made for an icky situation. The twist felt incredibly forced and the 600 red herrings implausible.
My feelings on this read were a bit mixed. I enjoyed it very much and, as always, enjoy Michaelides' writing style, but just really felt unsatisfied and confused by the end/ending. I appreciated the nods to The Silent Patient but all in all, even though I loved reading it, this wasn't as strong a book for me. I had to suspend my disbelief and was ok with that but I think that I had the most difficult time with some of the themes of the treatment of younger women and the older/younger dating in the storyline. Instead of some of the behaviours feeling problematic, I found myself felling that their existence in multiple storylines made me uncomfortable with those themes.

This was one of those reads where I overthought much of the book, expecting wild conclusions and plot twists but perhaps that is on me for reading too many wild stories! All in all, this was still a 4 star read for me and I really enjoyed it, I was just left with some questions and negative thoughts at the end.
The Silent Patient was significantly better than this one and inexplicably introducing a connection between the two books two/thirds of the way through only served to highlight that.
The Maidens by Alex Michaelides was a wonderfully done mystery novel, the characters were unique and I was invested in what was going on. It left me excited to read what the author has next.
This was actually a horrendous book.  I find Michaelides to be the worst of the non Patterson authors, he's the bottom of my reccomendable
Mariana lost her husband in a tragic accident, and is trying to get over her grief when her niece calls - her niece's best friend has disappeared. As a psychologist, Mariana goes to support her niece, but finds herself investigating a serial killer. I didn't find this quite as enjoyable as Michaelides' first book, The Silent Patient, both because the characters weren't as likable or compelling and because the plot took a long time to get anywhere. Mariana was rather annoying in her insistence on pursuing the killer, when she had no background in criminal investigations and was told by the police to stay away. I also found the inclusion of Greek history and literature to be a bit overly didactic, rather than adding to the story. However, the creepy vibe was definitely exciting to read and made it tough to put this down.
I had really high hopes for this book after The Silent Patient, but in the end The Maidens fell flat for me. To be fair, I'm not someone who's into Greek mythology, but I wanted to give Michaelides sophomore release a chance since I loved his debut so much. What was most frustrating about the Greek mythology aspect was that the Maidens plot line didn't even end up tying into the ending up the book. I appreciated the tie ins with The Silent Patient at the end, but was left underwhelmed by the last line. Just when it felt like we were getting something juicy it was a bit anticlimactic for me. There were definitely still aspects of the book I enjoyed (picking up clues and following along with the crimes unfolding and investigation), so I'll read his third book but am hoping for something that's more of a psychological thriller.
This book tried very hard to replicate the shocking twist we received from The Silent Patient. However it just didn’t live up to the expectations. I found myself waiting and waiting for something shocking to happen, but I was bored. I will say the tidbit that connected this book to The Silent Patient was a very fun Easter egg!
The Maidens- thanks to @netgalley and @celadonbooks for the ARC!

Wow, I really thought I had this one figured out and I DID NOT.

“Mariana Andros is a brilliant but troubled group therapist who becomes fixated on The Maidens [an illusive group of young women in a “secret society” run by a suspicious young professor] when one member, a friend of Mariana’s niece Zoe, is found murdered in Cambridge.”

I got into this book really quickly, it was not a slow start by any means. This is an essential for a mystery book, in my opinion, because you have to make me care and want to actually stick it out to know the “whodunit!” There was a lot of focus on psychology (the main character is aa therapist), which I of course cannot speak to the accuracy of.

I will say that I would have loved some more resolution with some of the characters. The book wrapped up quickly and then left us on a sort of cliffhanger. Overall, I did enjoy it and it for sure captivated me!
Unpopular opinion here but I didn’t understand the hype surrounding the Silent Patient at all. I thought it was a solid thriller but I wasn’t wowed and didn’t think it was the greatest thriller of all time. With that being said, I put off reading this one for awhile because I wasn’t sure if it would be a let down or not
Thankfully, I really enjoyed this one, probably more than the Silent Patient!

What worked:
• Edward Fosca as a character
• The Cambridge setting
• Elements of Greek tragedy

What didn’t work:
• Fred - just why????
• The ending

Edward Fosca as a character and the creepy theme of Greek tragedy throughout made for a page turner. My only problem was the ending, it felt random and parts of it were unexplained, leaving some major plot holes. Also, I hated Fred and his whole storyline 🤦🏼‍♀️

4 stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
As a big fan of The Silent Patient, I couldn’t wait for the release of The Maidens, but even new Michaelides readers will be drawn in by this striking cover and promise of a dark academia tale of murder and suspense. I loved the set-up of being told who the suspect is from the beginning. As with The Silent Patient, the psychological aspects give so much depth to the characters and encourage you to play detective yourself, stretching your ideas of motive and possibility. There’s also a fun little cameo in there for fans of The Silent Patient.