Cover Image: The Ride of Her Life

The Ride of Her Life

The synopsis of this book grabbed my attention and I couldn’t wait to get lost in the story. Based on the true story of Annie Wilkins and her journey across America. Annie’s life has been hard but her strength of character and tenacity are admirable. While the book provides history of the many places through which she travels, the story is more about the journey itself. Based during the 1950s, you will sometimes be surprised at Annie’s ability to knock on a stranger’s door. But that was a different time. What an amazing woman and I encourage you to open the book and jump on the back of Tarzan and experience the ride of your life.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for my advanced review copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.

For more reviews, please visit my blog at: https://www.msladybugsbookreviews.com/. Over 1000 reviews posted!
The Ride of Her Life is a very inspiring book about a strong female in 1954.  Annie Wilkins is a 63 year old widow who, rather than accept her diagnosis of only 2 years left to live, buys a horse and travels across America to see the Pacific Ocean.  Letts tells this story of when the country is changing and growing while Annie rides her horse through the country.  She meets many people and has an incredible experience.  I really enjoyed reading this book about a strong woman, the USA and how good the people can be.
This is my honest opinion given with thanks to #NetGalley and #Ballantine Books for an ARC to enjoy.
This is a charming, uplifting, thoroughly enjoyable biography about a forgotten time in America. So many things were changing in the mid to late 50’s and Annie Wilkins is mostly unaware of her unusual trip and how it is completely outside most of the country’s experience at that time. I found this to be a very enjoyable read, and kept reading just to see what would happen next. I thank #netgalley and the publisher for this copy of #therideofherlife to read in exchange for my honest review.
*** I received and read an e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for honest feedback. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ***

I love the idea of this book more than the execution. Well the first half of the book was quite interesting, began to drag and get repetitive in the second half. I believe the author fell into the same trap that most riders too, and focused on gathering attention rather than keeping it.

It’s an interesting story, and with some tweaking, would make a great movie. But as it stands now, it could use some reworking.
The Ride of her Life tells the story of an elderly woman who rides a horse throughout America. This was a very interesting biography. I have never heard of this story but it was really entertaining. I recommend this book for fans of horse books!
Annie Wilkins, a 63-year-old widow from Minot, Maine rides a horse across America from 1954-1955. This is the fascinating story of her journey.

I really enjoyed reading this book! I loved how Elizabeth Letts not only told Annie’s story but also gave the reader a picture of what was happening in the world at that time. Letts really brought Annie to life for me. I was in awe of how generous and kind people were to this stranger that rode through their hometown. I’m so glad I picked this book to read! If you are a history buff or love reading memoirs you will enjoy this book! It would also be a great pick for Book Club!

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review!
Really interesting nonfiction about an older woman who chooses independence and adventure over a more typical life, during a time when women were expected to get married, have children, and work on their farms rather than explore the world.  I really liked reading about all of Annie's travels, as well as the descriptive details of  her dog, her horses, and the people and places she visited. Very interesting and entertaining!
The Ride of Her Life by Elizabeth Letts

Brief Summary: In 1954, Maine native Annie is in poor health but decides she wants to see the Pacific Ocean before she dies. So she heads west with her horse and her dog….on foot.

Highlights: I was continually reminded that 1954 was a different world. I found her journey fascinating and could not believe the situations she found herself in. I also couldn’t believe I only feared for her safety once in her two year journey. I loved her connection with her animals. Coming from 2022, where safety and intentions are always in question-I found this heart-warming. Annie Wilkens is certainly a memorable character and I’m so glad her story was told!

Explanation of Rating: 4/5-definitely good for historical fiction fans and book clubs!

Thank you to Net Galley and Random House Publishing for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review
As recommended on What Should I Read Next Ep 318: You can fix your reading life, to a reader who loves loves fast-paced stories with compelling characters, interpersonal drama, and political intrigue. There's not much in the way of intrigue here, but this truth-is-stranger-than-fiction story was compelling, wild, and unputdownable.
I really enjoyed reading The Ride of Her Life, by Elizabeth Letts. The representation of a woman in her 60s reading across the United States on horseback was both captivating and inspiring. As each scene unfolded, the entire story felt like a movie to me.

I wish I had had the opportunity to read it from beginning to end, as it was a moving and gripping narrative. I could not because there were many glitches with the format I received. The tale would progress for 10–15 pages before vanishing from my Kindle. I could then go forward 30–40 pages and resume reading. Of course, this resulted in me losing a sizable portion of the book. Nonetheless, I persisted since I was engrossed in, and genuinely enjoyed the story.  However, when I had plowed through a large portion of the book, I realized I couldn’t continue because the technical flaws wouldn’t allow me to go on. (I have never had this problem before, nor do I have it currently with any of my NetGalley books.)

I received a review copy of this book from NetGalley. All opinions are my own, and I am voluntarily leaving this review.
I'm in my late 60s and I'm doing things I'm "not supposed to do" because of my age - like hiking the entire Palmetto Trail (across SC). So I was all excited about this book - and started to love it - but then I emailed the author about the dog - would the dog live? And she said sadly, no. I just couldn't take the heartbreak of reading about the dog dying so I quit reading.
Yes, I'm that in love with dogs. But it was an amazing book up to the point where I quit.
Maybe because I am a horse lover and former equestrian, I found this book an accurate joy to read. Loved the animals, they had such neat personalities and Annie was a wonderful woman with a heart of gold. In 1955 I was graduating high school in England so I do not know what life was like in the US at that time. I would be terrified to ride a horse on a busy road nowadays. Annie and the people who gave her shelter were so trusting, I wish it was the same now days. Just a joy to read but I admit I shed a few tears at one point in the story.
Sadly, this is a DNF for me. Really failed to engage me and  just couldn't get through it.

Thank you  to  NetGalley, the author and publisher  for a copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
What an amazing story! Whether you like stories about dogs and horses, epic adventures, or just want to harken back to the world of the 1950's----then you will want to read this book!!!

This is an amazing story of a 60 year old woman who has lived and worked hard all her life on a farm in Maine. In the 1950's, she realizes that life as she knows it has come to an end. So, she decides to follow a life-long idea she has had about crossing the United States on horseback in order to see California. This book is the story of that epic journey. It is well-told with many stories about people who helped her and places that she stayed. The author is very good at integrating historical content in order to explain the challenges and issues experienced during her ride, especially for those of us who did not experience the 1950's, i.e. time before interstate highways, when people actually only wrote letters and had to mail them, and when most people only had black and white TV's if at all.

It was a very compelling story and I heartily recommend it.
Didn't capture my attention and engagement. Interested in trying it again though and hopefully it will take.
My tween daughter and I love horses, so we couldn’t miss the chance to read this book. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc. We have read and enjoyed some of Elizabeth Let’s’ work before. The Eighty Dollar Champion is one of my daughter’s faves. Told that she has limited time left on this Earth, Annie decides to travel across the country - Maine to the shores of the Pacific Ocean in California. Instead of going by car or train though, Annie decides to use what little money she has to purchase a horse and off they go. Yes, you read that right; Annie travels by horseback with her little dog by her side all the way across the United States. Full of stories, kind people, and lots of adventure, The Ride of Her Life kept us entertained until the end.
I enjoyed Elizabeth Letts previous book, Finding Dorothy, and was excited to read this new one.  It is a story of Annie Wilkins, who rode her horse from Maine to California in the 1950s because she wanted to see the Pacific ocean before she died.  This book takes us back to a time when people were more welcoming of strangers and not afraid to offer a helping hand, a warm meal, or a bed to sleep in.  Apart from a few incidents, this book highlighted the best of humanity during that time.  If you are a fan of historical fiction, strong female protagonists, adventure stories, the 50s, animals (specifically dogs and horses) this is a great pick for you.
The Ride of Her Life by Elizabeth Letts is the story of Annie Wilkins, the 63 year old who decided to ride across country from Maine to California in the 1950s. This book adds to Annie's story with inserts about the history of the United States at that time. The information builds on an incident, a location, or even a person along Annie journey and expands to present the history. The history at times seems to interrupt Annie's story, but, at the same time, provides the context.  However, the uniqueness of Annie and her journey is definitely the ultimate lasting impression of this book.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2022/01/the-ride-of-her-life.html

Reviewed for NetGalley.
This was a story of courage and pluck. Annie is a 63 year old woman in the early 1950's who is told she only has a few years left to live. With no money, no family and poor health she decides she has one last chance to follow her dream of seeing the Pacific Ocean. So, Annie gathers her few belongs, her little dog and her horse and sets off on a cross-country trip from Maine to California! (And starts off in the winter!) Interesting story and had me wondering if something like this could be done in today's world!
I enjoyed reading The Ride of Her Life by Elizabeth Letts - treat yourself to a new book today.
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley and the publisher ~ Thank you ~ !!  This is my honest and personal review.