Cover Image: Mouse Music

Mouse Music

We loved this book and how the music flowed through the colors.  Such a sweet story to read to the little ones in your life!
Mouse Music is a cute picture book about music and friendship that encourages young readers to find the music all around them, and to create music with one another. The illustrations remind me of Leo Lionni's work, bright papery washes of color, and suited the story well.

Thank you to NetGalley and Clavis Publishing for the advance review copy!
Mouse Music is a book about music and difference. I like the message of the book, showing ideas that are different from our own can be enjoyable.  The illustrations are vibrant and engaging and through a variety of shapes, show visually the power of music.  There is a useful page at the end for engaging young learners in play experiences related to the book.    The story for me was a little wordy and only moderately engaging, for me visually interesting with a good message but the story was a little flat.
This was a nice picture book, with a lovely lesson for the little ones about music, and especially giving a chance to new things, new music.

Cute illustrations too.
The mice family are hearing different sounds and learning that just because the music is different from yours, doesn’t make your music better and theirs worse. A good lesson here about not only music but life in general. The illustrations are beautiful!
My book review of “Mouse Music” written by Susan Overmeer and Illustrated by Myriam Berenschot.

This is a cute book about a mouse and her three brothers and sisters whom all play music together. She plays the violin to the sounds of a bird singing and ants marching. She calls her siblings over. They are not impressed, they think their music is better. But then some city mice come to the forest and play music. When the forest mice start playing music with the city mice they make wonderful new music together. Can you sing like a bird? March like ants? Can you make music with your friends? I bet you can! Close your eyes and listen in the forest to all the sounds of the birds singing and see if you can make your own new song.

I give this book 5 stars.                 ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I enjoyed that the book was about music and talking mice. A group of forest mice and a group of city mice join together and play their different styles of music as one to make a new and even better sounding music.

I know that we sometimes get mice in our house and they can be scary for a kiddo. But this books shows mice in a nice light and I like that they play music with the other mice who play a different style of music. So when they play music together they end up creating an even better type of music. This is a great example to encourage us all to be more friendly and create music together. We are amazing but we are even more amazing when we create music with others, too, and join in on the fun!!

#PictureBook #ChildrensFiction #Music #Anthropomorphism #Mice #Violins #BirdsSinging #AntsMarching #Nature #MakeMusicTogether #BetterTogether

I just reviewed Mouse Music by Suzan Overmeer. #ClavisPublishing #NetGalley
Since I started working at a children's book publisher last year, my appreciation for picture books—for craft and love that goes into making them, for the beautiful illustrations and lyrical words that can be found within them—has grown exponentially. Mouse Music is a lovely picture book about appreciating diversity and finding beauty in our differences. The paper cut illustrations are delightful and bright, and perfectly capture the magic of creating music, especially when different styles come together to create something new and unexpected. Isabel's siblings change of heart happened rather abruptly, and the ending could have been a little less compressed, but overall a really solid story! The final spread with suggestions fo musical education is a really neat addition by the author that will make this a great book for teachers to share with their young students in a classroom setting.
Isabel and her siblings like to make music in the forest. You don't have to be musically inclined to love this book, you just have to love music. Isabel and her friends share all that music does for our well being and how fun it can be.

A special thank you to Clavis Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest revie
I love this book. Music is so important to children! It teaches listening skills, coordination, appreciation, and so much more. This darling little story teaches kids to listen carefully and to find the music in daily things. It also explains that things can be different than what you usually listen to, but can still be great. I loved Isabel Mouse! I liked that she kept searching for new music and that she kept trying to get her siblings to appreciate other types of music along with her. The illustrations were detailed and colorful and went along great with the story being told.
Thank you NetGalley and the publishers for the digital ARC in exchange for my review.

#NetGalley #MouseMusic
Isabel and her siblings are country mice and they play music together.  Isabel  loves to go for walks with her violin.  She stops and listens to the sounds of nature and realizes there is music in everything.  Her siblings don’t see it the same way.  Isabel comes across 4 mice, singing together and one plays a guitar.  They are from the city.  She decides to play her violin along with them.  Her siblings hear this and realize there are different kinds of music.

I liked how nature sounds were pulled into this story.  The last couple pages of interaction for kids is great.
A musical and open-minded mouse appreciates the sounds of the forest even if the melodies are different from what she's used to. She wants to share this appreciation with her siblings, but it's not until they hear how the integration of different sounds can be beautiful do they understand. A cute story about inclusion and the importance of diversity.
It is needless to say that sounds and music play an important role in our lives. Music as a category is present in our everyday lives, in movies, in comercials, in holidays and celebrations, and in education, as well. But it can be also said that sounds are literally everywhere around us.

From birth, parents instinctively use music to calm and soothe children, to express love and joy, and to engage and interact. But music and sounds are more than that. Just as taste, textures and colours aid a child’s sensory development, so does music. Exposing your child to different types of sounds can help create more pathways between the cells in their brains. This effect increases even more when you link sounds to different activities such as dancing or playing a game.
And Mouse Music by Suzan Overmeer stresses the importance of sounds and music in a very charming and compelling way. Isabel the mouse's thoughts and ideas are well-conceived to stimulate your child's imagination and exploratory spirit and make him or her see things in their everyday life in a slightly different way. What is quite nicely stated is the way in which different things can fit into one whole which, although composed of differences, is absolutely beautiful. Cute illustrations are enough to hold your child's attention and awaken the desire to explore their surroundings in search of sounds or music.
I especially like the part at the end which contains supplemental suggestions for music education, giving directions and ideas for the children, as well as the strong message to be open to novelties and differences.
All in all, a wonderful story for children with adapted language structures and cute illustrations that will encourage your little one to think. Great idea for a good night story or any part of the day.
Mouse Music
by Suzan Overmeer
Great book to add to the music classroom. The little mouse learns for the world around her to appreciate the songs of nature. Although at first she was not accepted by her family. Her experience broadens her families love of music. The book shows how we can learn from nature, and others can enhance our own music.
This is such a sweet little book about a family of mice who play music with each other and other forest friends. The message is great and the illustrations are adorable and bright.
Many thanks to Clavis Publishing and NetGalley for the advance copy.
This children's book was recently translated from Dutch into English. The illustrations are charming. Isabel Mouse ventures into the forest with her violin and encounters other animals playing music. Each time she tries to share the beauty of the new music she has found with her musical siblings, her siblings are unimpressed, believing their own music to be superior. Will she be able to change their minds?

The book is intended for children between the ages of 4 and 9. It contains supplemental suggestions for music education at the end, inviting children to interact with their environment and each other to make music. It inspires children to listen to new styles of music and appreciate the sounds they are hearing.

While I enjoyed the book, I felt that it was lacking an element that would allow children to connect with Isabel and the other characters. Overall, it is a cute book that will hopefully inspire little musicians to try new music.
This story was so cute! The musical mice are precious and I love the story of learning to accept those different than you and learn to find harmony. The art style was stunning and the story made me smile.
This is a beautiful children’s story about Isabel’s love for music.  Isabel’s siblings are not as open to different types of music, but Isabel just can’t get enough.  The illustrations are beautiful, and the color is very bright to hold the attention of my children.  My 4-year-old daughter loved Isabel’s journey, and there are musical recommendations at the end of the book which my daughter loved doing!

I received a free copy of this eBook from Clavis Publishing and NetGalley
#MouseMusic #NetGalley
A cute read about a family of mice who all play musical instruments. When the mice make music, the forest is very quiet.

It is a twist on the City Mouse and the Country Mouse and they see although they are different in a lot of ways, they are similar in some and can work through their differences.
My little readers and I loved the characters and artwork, but I had to quickly summarize each page of text to hold their attention.
Everyone has to go to the beat of their own drum. I like how the pictures really show the emotion and feeling of the story. I think the pictures tell the story on their own.