Cover Image: Body Over Troubled Waters

Body Over Troubled Waters

What a fascinating book. I was impressed by the storyline and the characters were all well written and complex. I love a good cozy mystery and this book delivered. Where there are complex storylines combined with intriguing characters the reader experience is magnified tremendously. The plot lines were well written and the mystery kept me guessing. To have a book that is well written as well as entertaining is a delight. Reading is about escaping your world and entering another one. The word building was phenomenal in this book. Here I forgot about my own life and was immersed in the world created by the author. I would recommend this book.
⭐⭐⭐⭐ -- Cute Valentine themed cozy mystery.

I enjoyed this one. It held up really well as a standalone. The setting had a nice small town feeling with plenty of interesting side characters. The plot was engaging and kept me turning the pages. That said, I found the "whodunit" to be pretty obvious from early on. But that didn't really take anything away from my enjoyment. I also thought Skye and Wally were very likable main characters (though the constant stream of women hitting on Wally was annoying 😂). Last, the ending was satisfying, but lacked any genuine excitement. This is the second cozy mystery I have read in the past few days that ended with no real spectacle. I prefer some drama and panache in my endings. 🤷🏻‍♀️

**ARC Via NetGalley**
yes yes yes!!!!! this book is so deliciously good!!! please pick it up as soon as you can! i loved the characters and the settings and it was so sweet and precious!!!!
I always enjoy a trip back to Scumble River!

While this is the fourth book in the series, I do feel it can be read as a stand-alone book. If you read it on its own and without knowledge of the Scumble River Series, you'd really only be missing out on the depth and build-up of the setting and characters that previously occurred.

In this fast-paced addition to the Welcome Back to Scumble River series, we see Skye return from Maternity Leave and on her first day back she finds herself stuck in lockdown with the School Superintendent Wraige. As a new mother to twins, Skye has more than enough on her plate, she and her husband Wally have moved into their new home and her father-in-law has been arrested, the last thing she needed was for Superintendent Wraige to turn up murdered! Skye and Wally find themselves back in the roles of sleuthing for the truth in an effort to bring forth who in town has blood on their hands. The mystery is perfectly written and the cozy elements of the story are executed incredibly well. This one will keep you on your toes and guessing until the very end!
This was my first dive into the world of Skye Denison-Boyd. As a school psychologist, it was super fun to have my occupation represented in this book since so few people know what we do! This mystery was a quick and engaging read and Skye is a lovable character.  I did find the "whodonit" to be a bit predictable, but it didn't make the ride to get there any less fun.  The epitome of a cozy mystery - not too graphic, character focused, and a dash of sugar!
I really enjoy the characters and setting. I like the relationship between the MC and her husband. I look forward to more in the series. The mystery kept me guessing.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Skye is headed back to work and on her first day back the school has to lock down.  She ends up stuck alone with the superintendent Dr. Wraige in a closet.  The man is pompous  and rubs quite a few people the wrong way.  She is happy to be free of the man when the lockdown turns out to be a situation handled in the wrong way.  When Dr. Wraige is found dead the following day Skye is somewhat shocked although the man did have some secrets in his past.  With so many suspects to interrogate Skye wonders if they will ever figure out who the killer is.  Meanwhile Skye is worried about her godfather who has been arrested and has had his business closed down.  Wally is trying to help him but isn't sure that there is anything  he can do.  Follow along as Skye is determined to help her husband figure who a killer is and if they will be able to stop them.
Any school day that starts with an impromptu mandatory staff meeting with the school superintendent is bound to be a bad one. Superintendent Shamus Wraige isn’t exactly known for his wise decision making but this one particularly upsets Skye Denison-Boyd. Dr. Wraige has decided to eliminate the safety position that assists with security, bullying, and other high-risk behaviors in favor of hiring his son as an attendance and residency investigator. Things get worse when the school has a lockdown and later Dr. Wraige is found dead in his home, the apparent victim of murder. Dr. Wraige has a lot of enemies, but who hated him enough to kill him?

What a surprising twist of events! Dr. Wraige has been a thorn in Skye’s side for a long time, but I never expected that Denise Swanson would kill him off! We have so many interesting political rivalries within the small school district and it’s going to be interesting to see the ramifications of Dr. Wraige’s death on the schools as a whole. I also love the side stories going on in BODY OVER TROUBLED WATERS, especially the hints we get about Skye’s uncle and I wonder how this will play out in the turmoil sure to follow Dr. Wraige’s death.

BODY OVER TROUBLED WATERS is the 4th book in the Welcome Back to Scumble River series. The Welcome Back to Scumble River series continues the long-loved Scumble River Mystery series although it’s not necessary to have read both entire series to thoroughly enjoy Skye, Wally, and the rest of the gang. Each Denise Swanson book is a standalone mystery although the lives of the Scumble River residents move forward and change. Long-time fans of the series will notice references to Superintendent Wraige’s proclivities previously revealed in MURDER OF A CRANKY CATNAPPER, but it isn’t required that you have that prior knowledge. I can’t imagine reading just one book about Scumble River and stopping, however, as Skye, Wally, the Dooziers, and the rest of the town are a hoot!

I love visiting Scumble River! I can relate so much to the school trials and tribulations that Skye experiences in her role as a school psychologist. Denise Swanson carefully weaves in relevant school issues into her story line, while helping us learn more and more about Scumble River and the various residents. The residents are a huge part of the fun, and I love that we get to see more of the Dooziers as there is nary a dull moment when a Doozier is involved! BODY OVER TROUBLED WATERS is yet another spectacular cozy mystery form the very talented Denise Swanson. Cozy mystery readers- don’t miss out on this series!

*review is in the editing queue at Fresh FIction*
I have been a long time fan of this series and this installment does not disappoint. . Wally and Skye are busy with their careers as a police chief and school psychologist with a new set of twins. The school superintendent is murdered and Wally and Skye search for a killer. The story moves along, and the colorful cast of characters that inhabit Scumble River are part of the story. There are clues aplenty, and Wally and  Skye solve the cast again.
One of the best reasons to read this series, besides that they are well written and fun, is the inhabitants of Scumble River. I am full invested in these characters and look at each book as a chance to visit their small town. Each is unique and quirky in their way, which makes each book more enjoyable. I highly recommend this series.! Thanks to Net Galley for the eARC.
The description feels a bit misleading because the school lockdown happens in the first part of the book and doesn't have much bearing on the rest of the mystery. The murder doesn't happen because of the lockdown. Was it supposed to be a red herring? It was a bit interesting to see the how Scrumble River handled a school lockdown but it didn't seem to integral to the story.
The superintendent dies. It is interesting to read how Chief Boyd and Skye work together to find the murderer. There were many intimate details of the superintendent's life that came to light but the resolution didn't involve any flair or drama.  That is not necessarily a bad thing but I think I am not used to a cozy mystery that runs on such an even keel. I never really felt a sense of urgency in the resolution, although there were deadlines expressed within the story.
It ends with Valentine's Day.
I enjoy visiting Scrumble River, and I like Skye and Wally as characters.
So I liked it, but I didn't feel invested in the story.
*I received a free copy of this novel from NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for my honest review.*

I love this series! I love the update where the author jumped a few years and brought the original series into current times. I really enjoyed the first part of the series before the jump, but it is easier to read the series being in "current" times, in my opinion.

Skye is back to work full time after her maternity leave and feels like she is able to take a few liberties with the principals in the school district realizing how important she is to the running of the schools. This also makes me happy because it seemed like Skye would be a doormat in some instances in past books. And I feel like she is growing past that. Makes my heart sing! When the superintendent is found dead, Wally and Skye have to investigate.

It is nice for a series like this one to have characters that come back in every book. They all become old friends themselves. It's also nice to know how Skye and Wally think things through, but everything is not given away to fast that the mystery is solved immediately. I really enjoy the series and the pace of the books and this cozy was a solid addition to the series.
This time it’s personal! Scumble River’s school psychologist Skye has enough to deal with her newborn twins with her police chief husband Wally. Now, her godfather has gone and got himself arrested. Plus, the school’s superintendent has been stabbed in the throat by cupid’s arrow…literally…and died. So much for Skye to do and so little time in book #4 in the Scumble River reboot, Body Over Troubled Waters.

I always enjoy returning to rural small town Scumble River life. Sure, everyone is in everybody’s business. But that doesn’t mean they don’t care for each other. The two mysteries here are interesting. Both have several viable suspects, some clues, and some red herrings. Body Over Troubled Waters is a nice relaxing way to spend a summer afternoon. 4 stars!

Thanks to Poisoned Pen Press and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
Body Over Troubled Waters (Welcome Back to Scumble River 4) by Denise Swanson

And we’re back y’all!!!
Scumble River is one of my favorite fictional towns, along with Keeneston and Shadows Landing!

I love this series but y’all I really love this book and does it ever start off with a bang! Like literally we start off with an active school shooter situation. (Shhh! it involves the Doozier’s!) From there we’re kept hopping along as poor Skye and Wally attempt to navigate time with the kids and murder. We also get to see an inside view of the local school system with Dr. Wraige’s murder. I do wonder if next book we’ll see a certain principle as the new superintendent?!  Uncle Charlie’s in trouble again and staying with May. While our favorite young twosome has some wonderful news! Oh man, there’s simply too much going on for me to tell. Including something Simon’s momma did to a certain boyfriend but lordy!
Ya’ll need to get this book with a quickness and expect to happily be unable to put it down until the very end! 5*

I would love to see this as a tv show WB or Hallmark Mysteries! Talk about something I’d watch again and again!

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and author for the ARC.
Skye and her husband Wally return in the newest release in the Welcome Back to Scumble River series. Skye is back at work as a school psychologist, following the birth of her twins. Things are going well until the school superintendent is found murdered. Now Skye and Wally have to put on their sleuthing caps (or in Wally's case, police cap), to find the killer.

Excellent book! I loved Skye and Wally so much. And the mystery was well-written and interesting, with enough red herrings to keep me guessing until the end. Highly recommend.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor or expectation.
Sometimes you don't want anything heavy, you want a good, old-fashioned cozy mystery with little gore and no violence to speak of.  If that is what you are looking for, you cannot do better than Denise Swanson's Scumble River series.  If you have triggers you can safely read "Body Over Troubled Waters" without worry.

I don't like spoilers so I am not going to give any.  I will say that this book was very well written; for me that is the sine qua non.  The prose flowed easily, and the plot moved right along.  Although this is the latest of a long-running series, if this is your first time in Scumble River you will not find any difficulty keeping the characters straight.

I really enjoyed "Body Over Troubled Waters."  It was light without being frothy, and serious without being ponderous.  I am already looking forward to the next installment.
The Welcome Back to Scumble River series is absolutely delightful! It’s got a lovely setting, realistic characters, quirky characters, and baffling murders! The latest book, Body Over Troubled Waters, is just as enjoyable as the first three!

Skye is back to working full-time as school psychologist. With the birth of her twins, Skye has been stretched thin! She really tried to take a maternity leave, but stuff happens. Now that she and Wally have the perfect live in nanny, Skye is ready to tackle her job(s) again. What she doesn’t expect is a school lockdown and another murder….nothing to do with the lockdown…but lots to do with the school since the dead body belongs to the superintendent! As part-time police psychological consultant, Skye’s involved in this mystery from all sides.

As with the prior books, Body Over Troubled Waters was a joy to read. With each book, I become more attached to these characters, and I love “watching” how they interact with each other. The Dooziers, you’ll love this quirky family, are, of course, in the book but only for a short scene. They crack me up, so I love when they’re involved in the mayhem somehow. I like that with each book, older characters play at least a small role, and newer characters keep growing in importance.

Solving the murder is quite challenging. Lots of red herrings will throw you off the scent of the real killer, but in the end, you’ll get that aha moment and figure it out.

I think that cozy mystery readers will enjoy Body Over Troubled Waters and the Welcome to Scumble River series by Denise Swanson.

Thanks to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for an ARC of this book. I was not required to give a review & all opinions are my own.
Back to school shenanigans and murder

Skye Denison-Boyd is back from maternity leave and her first day back has an all school lockdown where Cupid is being held at gunpoint. Yup, pretty hard to believe, but that was only the tip of the troubles! Skye is stuck dealing with satisfying Cupid's parents demands so they don't sue the schoolboard, along with dealing with family issues, and a murder. Being married to the Chief of Police, being the Psychologist for the Police Department, mother of infant twins, and psychologist for all schools in Scumble River leads to a pretty busy life.
This mythical Illinois town is a great place to visit. Colorful characters (especially the Doozier Family and the Red Raggers), small town living, farm life, and family peccadillos mix together to make the laughs plentiful, murders unusual, and a story that is fun to read. This series is a terrific addition to the original 18 book series. Once you start reading, it's hard to put it down!

Thanks to Poison Pen Press and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
Skye returns to work after having the twins. Life is settling down; however, the schools are full of action. There’s a lock down at the high school, then the superintendent is found dead after a series of burglaries at his house.

I love this series. It’s always good to return to Scumble River and see how Skye has become successful.
Body Over Troubled Waters by Denise Swanson is the umpteenth in the saga of Skye Denison-Boyd. She and her sheriff husband, Wally, solve crimes together after finally getting together a couple of years before, marrying, and having twins. It has been a rocky journey but all is well with them, except for this pesky murder of the school superintendent, Skye's boss. Swanson manages with weave through the story a thread about Skye's life at school which not only lends a touch of humor but is so accurate, it hurts. The victim, Dr Wraige, is a complicated guy, not at all who one would think would be the school superintendent in a small town. His family is interesting, as well. There seem to be plenty of people who are possible suspects. Can Skye and Wally solve this one?

This series is one of the longest running in cozy and history and still one of the best. Swanson's fans have seen this family and this town through a huge amount of growth and change. Skye has siblings and parents and extended family, all of whom have interesting lives. Wally has his dad. There is the school, and the town, and the ex-girlfriends and boyfriends of various folks. It is an intricate and entertaining story. One I will keep reading as long as I can. The characters are well-developed, which is not to say boring, and they can always find something interesting to capture the readers' attention. They are good crime fighters with a variety of tools and resources available only in a small town. This series is an old but good and I hope it never ends. I recommend it.

I was invited to read a free e-ARC of Body Over Troubled Waters by Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are mine. #netgalley #bodyovertroubledwaters
Denise Swanson delivers another excellent and riveting mystery, a page turner that kept me reading.
It's a fast paced and entertaining story, a complex mystery with plenty of suspects and an unlikeable victim.
I was happy to catchup with Skye and her friend, had a lot of fund and the solution was satisfying.
I appreciated how the author describes the sleazy victim and she's never judgemental. I also appreciate the body positivity in Skye.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine