Cover Image: Artistic Places

Artistic Places

If you're looking for a fresh travel idea, check out Artistic Places. Writer Susie Hodge and illustrator Amy Grimes have paired well-known paintings with a colorful description of each place. Some  works are very famous, some less so, but each tells a story--from Salvador Dali's Persistence of Memory and Catalonia, to The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai and Mt. Fuji, Japan. If I were to take this book traveling, I would have preferred to have pictures of the actual paintings mentioned, in addition to Grimes's beautiful illustrations. Not everyone can call up famous paintings from memory. But this is a lovely armchair travel volume.
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* What beautiful artwork! i love all the artwork, the style and the color schemes in this book!
I completely love travel excursions through photography, so I curious to try the same with hand illustrations. I was not disappointed. The illustrations were beautiful, and the descriptions were informative. I had to use my imagination a little more than other travel books, which was a nice change and challenge. I was able to research and learn beyond what was provided, which is always a sign of a good book to me. I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.
What a beautiful little book! Beautiful AND informative!

In Artistic Places, the reader can find gorgeous illustrations of different places throughout the world, but also informations about said places and about the artists inspired by them!
I knew about some of them, like Vincent Van Gogh ; I discovered about others, such as Anni Albers, who I didn't know at all!

I really loved it: it had everything to please me! I learnt things, I saw great art (I searched the mentioned works of art on Internet) both by very well-known artists and by the illustrator of the book, Amy Grimes.
Maybe its only drawback: I really want to travel to these places now and I can't for the time being! But, one day!!

Clearly, this book is one I'd like to have on my shelves because of both its beauty and content!
Artistic Places introduces several regions that are intrinsically linked to an author's work. They might have inspired one famous artwork, like Gernika for Picasso; they might have been a literal inspiration for a whole career, like O'Keefe in New Mexico; or they may be part of a shared history, like Michelangelo and Florence. There's very touristic destinations, like London and New York; and barely known ones, like Dessau and Lake Mälaren.

This is a book that I wouldn't take with me on a trip, but that I would definitely read as a way of "travelling from home." It is simple enough to be comprehensible for those who are interested in art, but aren't experts, and there's just the right amount of history discussed and advice for those who will travel to the area. It is a good starting point if you want to visit some of these places in the future.

However, I assumed there would be pictures of either the artworks or, at least, the towns discussed in the book. As beautiful as the graphic art is, it is not quite the same, and having to stop to Google both painting and town while reading was a bit annoying.
I was first attracted to the cover of this book, being a big fan of Monet.  The book focuses on locations that inspired famous artists with the book's illustrator adding their own interpretation of the view.  I really do like her work--it's bold and colorful.  The text describes each location from an artistic point of view, with stories about the artist(s) when they lived in that environment.  A nice twist for someone who's planning a trip, as it adds a different perspective to the usual travel guides.  It would be an excellent addition to a public library collection or to a serious traveler's library.
This book is gorgeous - the images are lovely and evocative. I already knew about some of these places, and artists while others were new discoveries. I like the idea that a particular place holds artistic inspiration but I wonder could all places be inspirational for the right artist?

My favourite section was the Frida Kahlo one - she was an inspiring woman and it was interesting to read more about what inspired her.

My thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Apologies, I did not download this file in time before it was archived, and I've only realised that now when it has been placed in Archived-Not Downloaded.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Such an amazing read for lovers of art and travelling. This book attracted me first with its beautiful cover and after that it made me so eager to get back to it because of the wonderful and stunning artwork created by the illustrator that accompany each description of the places visited by some of the greatest artists of our time. Actually, Amy Grimes created her own vision of those places in her illustrations and not the visions of the real artists named in the book.

I loved the author's original idea about this book. I loved to read about what inspired some of my favorite artists such as Dali, Monet, Michelangelo, Kahlo, Matisse and Klimt. That was so precious. In such a time where you can't go to any place this book would make you imagine and dream about all those beautiful landscapes and might inspire you to visit them in the future.

I
A guidebook of various places that have been drawn and painted in various famous paintings like Guernica in Spain, Giverny in France, and Arles in France. Unfortunately, the book falls short of my expectations. Despite the stunning cover illustration (one of the additional reasons I chose the book), I expected actual photographs of these said places which were the source of inspiration for so many artists juxtaposed alongside actual paintings and not the digitally-created illustrations which are basically reproductions. They are beautiful in their own accord but they do not serve the aim of the book. Anyone who wishes to travel to Arles and imagine what it must have been like for van Gogh to paint living in that place will want to see van Gogh's paintings and the real snapshots of Arles to get a congruent picture.
I was drawn to this book by the wonderful artwork on the cover, The idea of exploring some of the landscapes and places captured by famous artists was an intriguing one and I thought that the information given about the artists' relationships with the places was interesting. I was, however, surprised that the actual paintings being discussed did not appear in the book, and although it is easy enough now to search for the art online, it seems strange it wouldn't be figured in the book.

Thanks to NetGalley and publishers, Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing, for the opportunity to read an ARC.
“Even if we’ve never been there, some places in the world can be uncannily familiar. They might be misty mountain ranges or craggy ravines, dense forests or sunlit waterways, imposing architecture with ornamental facades, flower filled fields, secluded interiors, mystical mountains or tranquil ponds. They may be exhilarating places that take our breath away or calm locations that fill us with comfort, like a warm scarf on a cold day.”

These 25 places have been interpreted by talented artists, entire worlds are created for us in pencil, paint, ink, or pastel, or marble or bronze, or even in wool, silk and other textiles, sometimes colourful, sometimes sober, often uplifting or contemplative, threatening or restful. And we have seen them often, in galleries or in reproductions — localities that have become iconic, presented to us by an artist’s skilful hand.

“Artistic Places” includes: Whistler’s atmospheric River Thames scenes; Constable’s English countryside; Hepsworth’s St. Ives, an inspiration of light, sea, wind and hills; Rego’s rugged Portuguese coastline; Picasso’s Guernica; Dali’s Catalonia; Claude Monet’s home in Giverny, a place of abundant flowers and tranquility; van Gogh’s Arles, an ancient Roman city of swirling skies and artistic legends; Magritte’s Brussels; Klee’s Bern; Michaelangelo’s iconic Renaissance city, Florence; Canaletto’s Venice, a magical jewel-box city; Vermeer’s Delft; Anni Albers industrial Bauhaus in Germany; Friedrich’s Elbe Sandstone Mountains; Klimt’s ethereal, glass-like Lake Attersee; Munch’s Norwegian fjordland; Hilma af Klimt’s Lake Malaren;  Matisse’s Tangier, a city filled with evocative northern light; Katsushika Hokusai’s Mount Fugi; Gaugin’s Tahiti; Basquiat’s New York; Grant Wood’s rural Iowa; the faraway otherworldliness of O’Keefe’s New Mexican desert, and Coyocan, Kahlo’s sultry, magical neighborhood.

Susie Hodges is clearly very knowledgeable about art and artists and writes lyrically about the places she has chosen for this magnificently produced book. Her writing is often in conversation with the natural world and the artistic life. She roams across centuries, very different histories, lives and places. “Artistic Places” is vivid, strongly present and beautifully organized. Amy Grimes’ bright and bold illustrations celebrate the collaboration between art and writing. There is so much to enjoy here I found myself sinking into the book and dreamily taking in the art and places.

A huge thank you to @NetGalley and #WhiteLionPublishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Susan Hodge’s Artistic Places, blends the love of art with the love of travel exploration. Each chapter focuses on a specific location that inspired a famous artwork, the story behind it and the artist who created it. Hodge also brings us a little slice of travel heaven: a brief history of the region, tidbits about the culture, people, food, travel tips and regional events.

When I first heard about this book I was excited to read it. As an artist with a degree in art history, this shot to my must read top of the list.

From Monet’s inspiration of the lily pond of Giverny, France, to Picasso’s anguished depiction of the Guernica bombing in Spain, to Hokusai’s Mount Fuji In Japan, Hodge provides just enough information to tease your curiosity to travel and learn more. The book also covers locations I never would have thought to visit but now I’m itching to discover.

Art history lovers and artist will read this cover to cover. Travelers may keep this on the shelf as a referral for places they’d like to explore that are based upon paintings yet provide a much richer look into the local culture.

The book is lovingly illustrated by Amy Grimes. I will say I was a bit disappointed to see that the art pieces were not depicted in the book. It would have been nice to compare the piece to the description of the location. So I was left to search out the painting online and any information about the area. It turned out this was the better option as it allowed me to learn much more about the artist, art piece and location. Maybe that’s because I was an art history major so I enjoy that research. However, It still would have been more convenient to at least have the art piece represented to better understand it when the author describes the piece.
Luminous locations!

A stunning collection of paintings in various locations around the world. Artists include Kahlo (Coyoacan), Katsushika Hokusai (Mount Fuji) Canaletto (Venice) Matisse (Tangier)—a veritable smorgasbord of wonderfully creative and visionary practitioners and some of their fav places.
I loved the places depicted, the stunning colors (for some I felt like pinks permeated the collection. Ok others shades of colors shine as well but my brain seemed to fixate on this)
I wasn’t that sold on the layout. I wonder how it really works in hard copy due to the size 6” x 8.6”. This is about the size of my iPad which doesn't do the chosen works full justice. I want them to 'sing' on the pages. Still if you were carrying this around as a guide (when travel is an option) the size makes sense.
The combinations of artists and places depicted--a winner makes!

A Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion ARC via NetGalley
(Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.)
Bit disappointed with this book. I expected the original art work that is reference to be shown but actually we are just given art by one artist throughout. Felt a bit misleading and it wasn’t as good as I thought it would be .
Graphically very appealing. The colour palette is very bright and joyful..
This is a list of places beloved by great artists such as Monet, Magritte, Klee, Michelangelo.. Of each place there are beautiful illustrations and some historical infos.
Thank you NetGalley for this ARC!

This is a very pretty book, with a lot of information. However, it falls short in one key aspect; I  find it a little strange that you would make a book on artistic places, but not include any of the artists own works or even pictures of those places. What's the point?
Artistic Places is another beautiful volume in the Inspired Traveler’s Guide series. This one takes us to places inspired by art and artists. Each location is attributed to a work of art or artist that was inspired by the location. Details are given as to sites to see, such as the cafe or pond in the painting, or the artists museum at the location, just like a travel guide. Beautiful illustrations by Amy Grimes accompany each location-sometimes her rendering of the artwork itself, or the location.

This was a beautiful book to make plans for future travel with. The majority of locations are in Europe and most if not all of the artists or artworks should be familiar to most people. I looked up each piece of art as I was reading, even if I was familiar with it, to help give me a better understanding of the author’s descriptions. In some cases, more than one work is notated.

Definitely a must have for people who like like art and enjoy visiting museums on their travels. I have yet to be disappointed with a book in this series.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publishers, and the author for an ARC in exchange for a fair an honest review.
"Artistic Places" would be a gorgeous coffee-table book! Susie Hodge discusses in this book the various places that inspired famous artists to travel to, despite the difficulty of their times, just to capture those unique landscapes.

An interesting concept with beautiful illustrations that could have been even longer. The facts and history are interesting and there's a great balance between text and illustrations. Monet's "The Water Lily Pond" is one of my favorites, so I loved those illustrations the most!
This book is a great coffee table book for lovers of art and travel; especially now, when travel is limited for most people, it was enjoyable to take a trip around the world via this book and its information about the places that inspired famous artwork.

That being said, I found it a little confusing that the artwork featured was all by the same artist, and was not the actual artwork referenced. I don't know if that was an artistic choice or one based on permission to reproduce art, but I found it strange to read about Guernica and the place that inspired it while looking at art that wasn't Guernica. I was familiar with many of the works, but not all, and even the ones I knew would have been nice to have on hand as a reference. I enjoyed the illustrations in the book, but I wish that they were there as a supplement to the actual artworks referenced, rather than instead of them.