Cover Image: A Hex for Danger

A Hex for Danger

Finished. Grammatical errors and misspellings just don't work in a completed work. A whole lot of characters to keep track of, a whole lot of styles of magic to keep track of - this all made for a less than good read.
This is the 2nd book in the enchanting new series " Enchanted Bay Mystery Series" by cozy author Esme Addison. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity. My review opinion is my own.

We return to beautiful coastal North Carolina and the town of  Bellamy Bay  to rejoin our favorite protagnist water witch Aleksandra Daniels. Alek and her family are ancestral witches of a long standing Mermaid heritage .  Alek is new to her powers and to the family she never knew growing up.  She has moved to Bellamy Bay to be with her Aunts and Cousins and help fun the family business A herbal apothecary named Botanica.  Alek is helping her friend set up for the Mermaid festival which is a traditional festival that brings business to their small town. When a dispute occurs with a local artist her friend is suspect number one when the artist is murdered.  Alek investigates to clear her friend and calls upon her magical family to help her solve the crime.

This is a cozy series that is so well written and so fun to read I read it from cover to cover. i love the charcters, the paranormal aspect and the magic that is so well woven to the charcters. Each charcter is a delight and adds to the series. The sleuth is always captivating to conclusion and left this avid cozy reader quite surprised at the suspect !. A very well done series that I highly recommend to all that love reading magical cozy mysteries.
I can't understand the book because of the format and I will be listening to the audio soon that I also got from netgalley. I will be also getting a hard copy of this book soon
Having missed Esme Addison's début novel in her Enchanted Bay Mystery mystery series I grabbed the chance to read this, A Hex for Danger the second instalment anyway, happy to dive in as I love a good cozy mystery.

I got to meet water witch Aleksandra "Alex" Daniels for the first time. Protagonist Alex had been living in New York City but moved back to Bellamy Bay, coastal North Carolina when her father died. She is now helping to run the family business a herbal apothecary called Botanika as well as taking a sabbatical from the pace of her normal life. All well and good methinks, as Alex helps her friend Celeste with the annual Mermaid Festival. Celeste's boyfriend, Jasper is the director of Bellamy Bay's history museum and in the course of the festival preparations, Alex meets and gets to know Neve Ryland, an artist who is decorating the local park. Then Neve is found dead...

With many murder suspects, this was an excellent, absorbing and layered mystery. A story of magic, mermaids and mythology, Alex, her Aunt Lidia and her cousins, Minka and Kamila, a police officer, were all great characters and excellent in their respective roles. I enjoyed my time trying to solve the crime alongside Alex right up until the tension-filled finale. I aim to catch up on events in book one, A Spell for Trouble.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
A Hex for Danger is the second book in The Enchanted Bay series by Esme Addison.

The premise of this story is different than other mermaid stories I’ve read and it was intriguing.   I really liked the location the story is set in. Mentions of places like RTP are fun since I am very familiar with them.  Alex’s family are very likable.  The family business is interesting.  I was surprised be the ending in a good way.

My issue was with Alex. She is difficult to like.  She has a boyfriend she supposedly cares for but lies to and ignores him. She doesn’t always use her magic in ethical ways, though she acknowledges it after the fact.

I will read the next book to see if  Alex has learned from the things that happened.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the free copy of this book and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
This is the second installment of Esme Addison’s Enchanted Bay Series.  If her first book was good, her second book is even better!  Alex Daniels continues to learn more about her family (descended from mermaids) and her abilities.
It is time for the annual Mermaid Festival in Bellamy Bay, North Carolina. A renowned artist, Neve Ryland, has been commissioned to paint a mural commemorating mermaids. Neve reveals to Alex certain troubling information during the course of an event.  Before Alex has time to ask Neve more questions, Neve is murdered. Unfortunately, the most likely suspect is Celeste, who is Alex’s friend.
Esme has added another magical creature in this book. She is developing this world with care and flair.
Books with love triangles are not my favorite, but for Esme’s writing I am willing to keep going with this series.  I can’t wait for her next book!
Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the free Advanced Reader’s Copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is the 2nd installment in the Enchanted Bay Mystery series.  This is a paranormal cozy set in the town of Bellamy Bay North Carolina is filled with magicals and mundanes (non-magical).  The town is getting ready to celebrate their annual Mermaid Festival and Alex Daniels along with her cousins Minka, and friend Celeste are all working on the committee for the festival.  Alex is intrigued by the artist Neve Ryland who is in town to paint a mural for the festival.  Neve works closely with Jasper who runs the historical museum is also Celeste boyfriends and Celeste is extremely jealous of her.  Neve wants to talk to Alex at the night of the first festival party and unfortunately before they get a chance to talk Neve is found dead and Celeste as the jealous girlfriend is the prime suspect.  Alex has been dating Detective Jack but he is laser focused on Celeste even though Alex continues to give his many other possible suspects much to his dismay.  Dylan Wesley who Alex is drawn too is also in the wings with friends potentially connected to the crime.  This was a good mystery and it was hard to figure out who the culprit was.  I love how Alex is so loyal to her family and how they all stick together including police officer Kamila who does not want to practice magic.  Looking forward to what happens next to Alex and others in Bellamy Bay.
"Sunny-yet-Sinister " is a perfect description for this series.
I read along as I listened to the audiobook, compliments of Netgalley. Thank you.
And I purchased the previous book in the series on my own.
I loved the narration by Emily Durrante. She did an excellent voice making each character sound appropriate and distinguished.

Aleksandra Daniels is still getting used to her heritage and the special powers her family enjoys.
This story takes place around tourist season and an annual Mermaid Festival. Sounds like fun, right?
Well, it is for those who don't believe mermaids were ever real, and those who don't realize the implications of having mermaid ancestry themselves.  What about dragons? Pure fiction, right?

Also not fun for a visiting artist who paints murals at events. This turns out to be her FINAL event.
Alek's good friend Celeste is seen exhibiting strange behaviors and is arrested for the artist's murder.
She even wonders if her actions could have contributed to the woman's death.

Under the fanciful setting and wonderful characters, comes the sinister.
There are references to adult topics and defense industry and industrial espionage.
Yet I enjoyed the relationships between the characters and how Alek is growing.
The additional twists at the end fascinated me.
A very good series with much potential.
Alex, amateur sleuth, witch, and mermaid descendant, is back. She's enjoying working in her family's store, learning more about her magical heritage, and preparing for the town's annual mermaid festival. But she has to put a few things aside after a murder occurs, and a good friend is arrested for the crime. Is she guilty? Alex will have to do everything she can to get to the bottom of the mystery, and save her friend. Even if her policemen boyfriend does insist she stay out of things.

I'm enjoying this series very much. I like Alex, her aunt and cousins, and all the townspeople who call Bellamy Bay home. My only negative thought is the possibility of a love triangle - which is not my favorite.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, via NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
A Hex for Danger by Esme Addison is the 2nd book in An Enchanted Bay Mystery series, and another fun addition. Alexandra Daniels returned to the seaside town of Bellamy Bay, North Carolina for the first time in twenty years. After Alex's mother died, her father forbid her to visit her mother's relatives there.
Alex decides to accepts an invitation to visit her relatives and help with their herbal apothecary business and she agrees.   It's Mermaid Festival time, and when an artist of a mural is found dead, Alex is determined to find the truth. I really enjoyed this fun paranormal mystery book, and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book, perfect for a quiet escape.
I liked the first book in this series and was looking forward to read this one. Unfortunately this one was not my cup of tea as I found Alex a bit too rude and grated on my nerves.
I would recommend some more world building and definition of the magical system as there's plenty of fantasy elements.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I should have realized that when I didn't like the first book in the series because of the mermaid aspect.  Which is a big part of the characters and the story. So it safe to say I will not be continuing this series.
Summer has arrived in Bellamy Bay, North Carolina which means it is time for the annual Mermaid Festival.  Alex Daniels has settled into town and at her job at Botanika.  She is learning to use her gifts and loves spending time with her family.  Alex is a member of the festival committee and is creating a special candle for the festival.  They are having Neve Ryland create a mermaid mural which will be unveiled at the beginning of the festival.  Neve has been spending time with Celeste’s beau, Jasper working on the museum exhibits.  It has Celeste feeling insecure and shooting daggers at the beautiful artist.  When Neve ends up dead, Celeste is at the top of the suspect list.  Alex has no intention of letting her friend take the fall for the crime.  Alex sets out find the guilty party with help from her aunt and cousins.  A Hex for Danger by Esme Addison is the 2nd book in An Enchanted Bay Mystery series.  It can be read as a standalone for those new to the series, but you will be missing out if you do not read A Spell for Trouble.  A Hex for Danger is complex and beguiling paranormal cozy mystery.  There are some great characters in this story that include Alex, Lidia, Minka, Kamila, Celeste, and Athena.  Alex is settling into her new life and feels like she belongs in the charming small town.  She enjoys spending time with her family and her boyfriend, Jack Frazier (the local police detective).  The mystery is multifaceted, well-plotted, and intriguing.  There are several good suspects in this whodunit.  I had a good time solving the crime before the tension filled reveal.  I like how the mystery ties back to ancient mythology and the Mermaid of Warsaw.  I can tell the author did her research for this story.  I did feel that A Hex for Danger is a slow starter as we are reintroduced to Alex, her family, the town, and their magical abilities.  The pacing increases as you get further into the story.  I thought the story was well-written with developed characters.  I enjoy visiting Bellamy Bay with its unique residents.  I like how the paranormal aspects are woven into the story.  It is hard to resist a cozy mystery with magical mermaid descendants.  I love the authors vivid descriptions which brings the story to life.  We get to learn more about Alex’s maternal history which is fascinating.  I am looking forward to the next tale in An Enchanted Bay Mystery series.  A Hex for Danger is a spirited tale with mermaids, magic, mayhem, and murder.
The mystery was entertaining and I look forward to what happens with the MC. I also want to know what happened to the MC's mother.  I did have a hard time keeping all the characters straight,

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my eARC.
Alex is settling into her new life with her mother's family after the death of her father. Her mother drowned when she was just 8 years old and her father, a police officer, had very firm opinions about his late wife's family. Alex was forbidden to ave anything to do with them. Now she has taken that step and is firmly rooted in her new life full of magic, potions and spells. Alex is a magical, a mermaid. So are her Aunt Lidia and her cousins. One thing that binds them together is keeping the secret of their magical selves. It is a secret to be kept at all costs.
As the mystery unfolds it's time for the mermaid festival that Bellamy Bay is famous for, drawing tourists from all over. An unwelcome element joins them - a killer strikes and Alex risks much to find out who killed the artist of a local mural, a woman who knows about the family secret. The police focus on a person close to Alex and then another death occurs, will she unmask the killer or become the next victim?
The mystery kept me guessing to the last page. Full of magic, myths and very strong family ties and a lovely oceanside setting, all made for a delightful reading escape. We all need some magic in our lives.
My thanks to the publisher Crooked Lane and to NetGalley for giving me an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
-Genre
🔍Paranormal cozy mystery

-Excerpt
Of course, now she thought she understood why her father had been so reluctant for her to see them after her mother died... they had secrets, secrets he didn't want her to be a part of. “You can only believe in what you see,” her father had told her over and over again. “Anything else is fairy tales.”

But that was the thing ... Once Alex finally returned to Bellamy Bay, she'd discovered that fairy tales were kind of true, and the world as she knew it was not as it seemed. For example, the world was made up of Magicals and Mundanes. Magicals were people who had certain abilities and powers, while Mundanes were your everyday garden-variety human. And Alex and her mother and aunt and cousins? Well, let's just say they weren't mundane—not by a long shot.

-My description
Alex is settling into hew new life, helping out with her aunt’s herbal apothecary and learning more about her water witch powers. She agrees to help friend Celeste plan the annual mermaid festival which includes the unveiling of a mermaid mural in the town park. Everything is going swimmingly until the artist of the mural is murdered during the reception celebrating her work.

-How it made you feel
This series has a daytime drama feel and I here for it. (It reminds me a little of the show Passions).

-Favorite part
The underlying world building that also directs some characters’ actions.

-One-word description
🧜Mermaids

-Would you recommend?
The cozy mystery parts are well done and I love the world that Addison is continuing to unveil. This also feels very Southern, spotlighting two or three major families in a this small town who have history and continue to spar and clash over wielding power and influence. (I hoped for something in book 2 and it was there. I don’t want to spoil the book, so maybe just read it!) This book and series reminds me quite a bit of Ellery Adams’ Charmed Pie Shoppe series.

Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

P.S I also recommend Esme's Cozyville Book Club on facebook
Alex couldn’t believe her boyfriend would do the very same thing he had done to her Aunt, to her cousin, arrested her for a murder she hadn’t committed. Her constant involvement didn’t bode well for the future of their relationship, but Alex was willing to sacrifice anything to rove the truth. When things began looking dim for her cousin, she increased her sleuthing, which was a sacrifice she was willing to make for her loved ones, no matter who tries to stop her, from following the clues and solving the puzzle. An exciting, intriguing, and fun read.
4 Stars

If you are a paranormal cozy mystery fan this is definitely a book for you. Creative and captivating, A Hex for Danger is an entertaining and well written cozy.

Welcome back to the mysterious Bellamy Bay. It’s Mermaid Festival time and there is more on the tide than some crazy waves. When a local artist is found murdered, Alex is on it again to clear a family member’s name of murder. With magic in the air, the descents of mermaids are on the case in this twisted mystery. A fantastic mix of mythology, lore and legend with a keep the reader on their toes kind of mystery. Alex will not only weave you through the mystery she will take you on an adventure too.

A Hex for Danger is a fantastic and creative cozy mystery. Author Esme Addison has done her research and it shows. Adding her creativity to bring a new light to watery lore. An Enchanted Bay Mystery series now has two solid mysteries to its series.
When an artist/scholar with an interest in the Mermaid of Prague is found dead, Alex's friend, Celeste, is accused of the murder. Alex and her family get involved in the investigation in an attempt to clear celeste's name.

I am enjoying this mystery though I think the series is a shade more urban fantasy thing cozy mystery. I'm enjoying the North Carolina setting. Also enjoy the little touches like mention of how a hot dog is prepared in North Carolina and the local drink Cheerwine. It is little touches like these that makes the setting more believable.

I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher and/or author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is one of my favorite paranormal cozy mystery series.

To read my full review, go to FreshFiction.com

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to review this book.