Cover Image: Mercurial

Mercurial

This was a fun fast-paced fantasy. I liked the characters. However, I did not particularly like the romance which was the focus of the novel. The romance was very instant love. Still, this was a light fantasy.
this is so underrated and i'm furious that it isn't plastered everywhere. the characters have depth, the setting is lush, the plot makes sense, the action is engaging. what more do people want from a fantasy romance?!
Thanks to Netgalley to the advanced earc in Exchange for na honest review.
The book starts in an unexpected way. A pact of one of the characters with another... a pact that he wanted to make but at the same time, not really. I found this premise interesting.

The characters have a spectacular development, I was caught by surprise in all the plot twists, the world is so well built.

I really enjoyed it and recommend it!
While a fun read, I didn't think this was anything special. The romance, dialogue and plot were all very predictable.
I’m such a slow reader sometimes, I’m so sorry! But again with this book I only got about 40% of the way through and my time expired. So far, this book has genuinely surprised me. I love it when you get and eARC and you end up absolutely loving it. It makes you feel all good inside. I love this book so much so far. And I need to read the rest of it ASAP!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I honestly had a really hard time getting into this book. The plot seemed really intriguing, but in all honesty sort of fell flat. I wanted more dimensions to the characters, some sort of way to connect me to them. However I just honestly wasn’t able to find it.
Sadly I found the cover to be more intriguing than the contents. There was so much potential for the characters. Blood magic, a bodyguard with a dark past, and someone called The Destroyer!
Maybe my lack of love from the book comes from the fact that I wasn't invested in the relationship that was being built between Elodie and Tal. I think too much occurred off the page while he was serving as her bodyguard. That relationship build is what I really wanted to see as a romance lover, and what I think was really lacking.
Also the worldbuilding wasn't my cup of tea. I wish Hughes had gone more into the religion. Additionally, I didn't feel like she explained the magic system well, and there were a lot of holes of missing information that I wanted filled im.
I do appreciate that this story was contained in one book. I think this genre really loves dragging stories out over multiple books, and sometimes it's nice to get a self-contained fantasy.
Absolutely incredible book! The world building is superb and the characters are complex and just so well fleshed out. I absolutely adored the writing as well!
I didn't actually get the chance to finish this before it was removed from Netgalley but got about half way through and thought this was a really great book. The world building was beautifully written and immersed me immediately. I was worried about how the whole amnesia aspect would work out but it was pleasantly surprised.
i like reading off beat authors. it's a shame this author isn't getting more press. she wrote dynamic and complex characters.
Thank you NetGalley for providing this eARC in exchange for my honest review.

I started the book a few times but I couldn't get into it. I couldn't feel the story so I broke up, For all lot of reviewers    it is a jewel. So don't hesitate to try it out.
this was a great scifi novel, the characters were great and I enjoyed the world that was built on this book. I loved the memory loss plot and enjoyed going through learning what was going on.
unfortunately i couldn't connect with this book at all. it wasn't really hitting the right spot, the characters fell flat, the plot was predictable and the writing wasn't enough to keep me invested or at least enjoying it. i do know why people would like this story though, so i'm giving it a generous 2 star.

- thanks to netgalley and the publisher for providing the digital arc in exchange for an honest review.
DNF. I could not get into these characters and find myself to care. I tried. The ratings and reviews sounded great, but I don't think this is meeting my expectations or quality standards.
Mercurial by Naomi Hughes is set in the Alloyed Empire. It might look similar to the setting of Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings – mountain ranges, forests and a bit of scorched Earth. I think it could be set in the Victorian era. There are trains and magic but no dragons.

Tal has been ordered by his God to protect The Destroyer. Everyone thinks the order is odd. Why would The Destroyer need protection from anyone? She has literally destroyed villages with her fire power. Imagine an adult version of Firestarter. So Tal pledges an oath to The Destroyer to protect her at all costs. After the pledge, Tal is linked to The Destroyer until the end of their lives.

The Destroyer’s sister is the empress. The Destroyer does the bidding of the empress. Whatever or whoever the empress wants to be set on fire, The Destroyer does it. She doesn’t have too many feelings or regrets about all of the death and destruction.

Nyx, Tal’s sister, is on a mission to find Tal and bring him home. Part of her mission is to destroy The Destroyer because it may be the only way to release Tal from his oath.

After an incident at a train station, Tal and The Destroyer escape. The Destroyer has lost her memory and her powers. Now she was just a regular girl named Elodie. She still had a powerful sister and a lot of angry people looking for her. Well, they didn’t know the nice, powerless Elodie. They were searching for The Destroyer to either end her life or capture her power. Of course, no one but Tal and Elodie know that she doesn’t have powers anymore.

It kind of puts a wrench in Tal’s plan to kill The Destroyer. He likes Elodie and cannot end her life. Nyx is still on their trail and has no qualms about killing The Destroyer/Elodie. There are a few more twists that I won’t tell you about because that would be wrong.

If you like fantasy adventure stories, then you will probably enjoy reading Mercurial. I enjoyed it quite a bit and didn’t find it to be boring or anything.

People who can relate to Grima Wormtongue or any other slimy, lying villain will not appreciate Mercurial quite as much as they should.
Heart pounding, pacy, romantic, and devastating at turns—I could not put this down, and wanted to re-read it immediately after finishing. Hats off, Naomi!
This is one of those stories that just gets better around every corner and I’m sorry it took me so long to pick up on my NetGalley list that seems to be never ending. It’s got all the pieces and the author did a fantastic job at putting it all together. Whilst I believe that, the story also didn’t blow me away which is why it isn’t a full stars review. I liked the characters, I loved the plot and the magical elements and creatures were unique and unpredictable, I just wanted a bit more of something between the characters, a little more of a push of emotion here and there between them to get me emotionally invested. It didn’t give me a book hangover that had me craving more, just a content ending that I was able to put down and move on without much thought.

There were parts of this book that were so unique and wonderful. I especially liked the magical element through metal, certain people were born with various metal in their blood that gave them abilities such as healing, crafting, alchemy as well as power over the elements. This divided society and social standing in ways it didn’t look into which felt a bit lacking, I was intrigued by it all and felt the author could have created more depth into the magical world she created.

The story is told through three perspectives, Princess Eloide (The Destroyer), Tal her bodyguard and Nyx, Tal’s sister. I do have to say, the character build up was excellent, you really got to know them through their actions and flashbacks throughout their story, each one being pushed in a direction they didn’t want to take, forming a connection between them they never realised they had.

Once, there was a boy who believed..

Tal was a great character who stood strong for his beliefs in his role as the princess’ protector. While he did clearly regret his choice taking the oath and being stuck by the side of the most dangerous weapon at the Iron Empress’ disposal, he knew he played an important part of bringing peace to the empire, he just had to wait out the horrors that came along with it. He was exactly how you would picture a young bodyguard; deadly, silent and strong. He kept his anger deep within himself and only started to show any emotion when his princess suddenly became innocent and human. Even then though, he was still too unemotional for me to really fall in love with his character.

Once, there was a girl who was afraid..

Elodie The Destroyer was definitely the best character for me, she was amazingly layered and dynamic, her character development was strong throughout and you couldn’t help but love her through it all. As the Destroyer, she’s adapted to a life being feared and powerful and uses it to her advantage to keep herself safe. She’s a recluse who doesn’t connect to anyone on any real level besides her sister where formality and titles are dominant. The only person she trusts is Tal, and that’s only because he is bound to her and has no choice. When she loses her powers, her character completely changes to an innocent young woman with a sense of humour and lacking basic survival instincts. I would have liked to have seen a bit more emotion to her character, especially since she knew she felt some connection to Tal with or without her mercury abilities.

Once, there was a girl who believed only in her brother..

Nyx. I’m honestly not sure what to say about her. I’m getting the impression that you either love her or you hate her. Whilst she was a strong interesting character that did bring the story together, I didn’t like her personality. She was so angry and obsessed with saving her brother, she refused to believe in anything different than killing the Destroyer to solve all their problems, even if it meant sacrificing herself. She was so blinded by rage and hate, she couldn’t see the whole story. Yeah she had spent the last few years of her life becoming a skilled assassin, but it wasn’t the only thing she had and it made me feel sorry for Helenia, always coming second place after Tal. It felt like she was taking life for granted at times.
I did love her relationship with Helenia, it was sweet and the one piece of happiness in the whole book. As an additional character, Helenia was probably the most powerful piece of the puzzle, she was always there in time to save the day and asked for nothing in return. She held the right balance for all the characters with her desire to see Nyx happy and to help lead the rebellion against the empire. She was a complete badass.

‘In a single sentence, Helenia stripped away all of Elodie’s imagined control, and she did it without ever letting her smile fall. Elodie began to realise that she had underestimated this girl. Helenia’s face still radiated warmth and naivety, but Elodie began to see now how she might use that as a weapon.’

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a good middle grade/ ya fantasy full of unique magic, enemies to lovers, and unexpected plot twists around every corner! Check it out!
<i> Thanks to NetGalley for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review <i/>

Mercurial is one of the best books I have read recently. The worldbuilding in this book is top notch! From mountains, to magic, to changing landscapes, to fierce and wonderful creatures, this book has everything.

Also, the characters are fabulous! There are three main characters and we get to see some amazing character development throughout the book for all three. I loved how we get to see a full in depth look at each character and how they are who they are at the beginning of the book. By the end of the book, it is soo good! Each of the main characters are lovable in their own way, and I loved that Hughes was able to write each one with such clarity.

The magic system in the book is amazing.

Oh! Mercurial is soo diverse without even a second thought. It just is! From LGBTQ+ rep to diversity in races, it has everything, without being forced.

Such a great read! I will be picking up more of Hughes books in the future.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book.

Sadly, this is a DNF for me. I tried on and off for months to read this book and every time it just didn’t work for me. The writing was great, but I couldn’t find myself getting into the story or the characters and, with characters being the most important part to me, I felt myself getting into a slump because of it. I still love the premise, so maybe one day I’ll return to this book but for now it’s best if I put it down.