Cover Image: Becoming Trader Joe

Becoming Trader Joe

Oh mayn I cruised through this book in a few hours and now I want to go to Trader Joe's (somebody get me on a plane).

It's a business book that challenges you to believe in yourself and the business that pays you so you are not distracted.Initially it can be confusing but if you hang on to it, it gets better . I received a complimentary copy and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.
This book has some great information for businesses and I learned a lot of cool things about running a business, things to look out for when you are starting companies, wine and late 1970s marketplace.
 But overall the book was unorganized and hard to follow. Overall solid info- lacked structure so it felt so so long.
Super interesting! Not quite what I was expecting, but this gave me some cool insights into one of my favorite brands. I ended up listening to the audio, which was well done.
I received an advanced readers copy from NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

I love Trader Joe's. LOVE it. And since moving to Alaska, I miss it desperately. But this book? It wasn't good. It was clunky and awkward and poorly written. It wasn't coherent. It was as if the author just went through his journal and pulled out some sections about creating his business and threw them into a book.

I did appreciate some of the information included here (especially about how they treat/pay staff and how some of their products came to be), but it just wasn't presented well.
A great read about how the Trader Joe's empire was built! Thanks for the advance copy and I will most definitely recommend.
The books was fine. Not super exciting but as a TJ fan, loved hearing some new things that I didn't know before.
I stumbled across this book while looking at books to review, and I'm so glad I did! I absolutely love Trader Joes, and as someone who works in supply chain management, I think the concept of in-house supply and production is so interesting. I really loved reading about a business that I love!
I was hoping for more of the story of Trader Joe's and not so much the business aspect of it. It was hard to finish and it didn't feel like a passionate story of a great brand.
I'm a huge Trader Joe fan, so this autobiography by the chain's founder was right up my alley.

Written in short, clear chapters, the book explains a lot of the particular quirks of the store and how they came about. It's also a useful business text for how to start a business, overcome obstacles, and thrive.

If you like TJ's food I think you'll be fascinated by the book.
This is good for potential entrepreneurs and marketing students. For trader joe food fans, may not be what they were expecting to read.
Funny story -- I picked this up earlier this year because I love Trader Joe's and who wouldn't want to know how it started? But I was hoping more of a casual behind the scenes look at how it came to be. And while yes you do get a bit of that, you get more of the "business" part of it as well.

So I put it down.

A month and a half ago, I launched my own online business and ironically picked up this book again just so I could post a review for it. The business parts that did not hold my interest months ago do now.

It's a great read if you're into an inside look of the business aspect of things!
As someone who lives in Canada and doesn't have access to a Trader Joe's, I'm not sure why I picked this book up. I bet it would be interesting for others, but it was not for me.
2.5 stars! The grocery store is my obsession but this book was not.  Unfortunately, it wasn't what I expected and was way too technical. If you're looking to open up a grocery store and want lots of specific information pertaining to the ins and outs of that, this book would be worth a read.  Thanks to NetGalley for the free copy in exchange for my honest review!
This book tells how Trader Joe's came to be. I've never been in a Trader Joe's store, but I feel like the book gives me a good window into it. The book reads like an older guy telling the reader how & why he did things, made the decisions he did to grow the company to a success. There's a lot of business management, supply & demand, logistics, bank numbers, tax issues & accounting jargon....so it reads kind of 'dry.' I found the 1st half of the book the most interesting, because it seemed to be more about Trader Joe's & toward the end I felt it was more about corporate office/bank juggling/what Joe C. has been doing since he left TJ's. The book is arranged/put together in such a way as to make a rather dry subject interesting!
I received this e-book from HarperCollins via NetGalley, in return for reading it & offering my own fair/honest review.
The e-book formatting was completely off, which made reading the book very difficult. I found the initial content interesting, but could not get far due to formatting.
Full disclosure: I LOVE Trader Joe's. It is my happy place and I find myself constantly craving specific items and make it a mission to shop here. Due to my love for the store, I was beyond excited to read this book and learn more about how the store came to be and this book delivered. It tells the story of Joe Coulombe, educates the reader on the nuts and bolts of running a grocery store, and just makes you appreciate Trader Joe's so much more. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in running a business or managing a grocery store as the material does get very technical in nature at some points. This is definitely a story geared towards those with entrepreneurial interests!

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Leadership for providing me with an advanced reader copy of this book.
I enjoyed reading about this major player in the grocery business as it exists today.  Joe Coulombe was a visionary who did things his way and the success that paid off. There are many books out there on the same subject but this is a definite read for anyone interested in the retail sector.
As a long-time fan of the Trader Joes brand, I was eager to pick up a copy of this book that was co-authored by Joe Coulombe who founded the company.

It is all about the insider info of how Trader Joes came to fruition. How they made their name known. How they co-branded and how they made and lost money. There's a lot of insights about trading and the retail industry that I wasn't aware of.

If you're in business or are an entrepreneur, I think this book will interest you.

But if you just like to cook with ingredients from TJ's, then you maybe want to skip it.
Reading this book was like sitting down for a drink (or a series of drinks) with a grizzled mentor who wants you to succeed.

Even more interesting, as I read Joe Coulumbe's treatise on his unorthodox business methods ("how we built a successful business on high wages"), the business world in 2021 is in an uproar due to the post-pandemic loss of workers. Economists are speculating that wages will have to go up before the workforce will show up again.

Listen to Trader Joe, folks. He'll tell you how to attract and keep top-quality employees: Pay them a living wage! Yes, he rambles a bit in the book (the "grizzled mentor"), but there are so many gems:
"productivity in part is the product of tenure. That's why I believe that turnover is the most expensive form of labor expense."

I read this because Trader Joe's restored my faith that honorable businesses can succeed wildly even when they ignore the worst of capitalist tenets (I'm a fan). I will recommend it to every entrepreneur I know.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins Leadership for an advance readers copy.
Loved this book! As a long time fan of Trader Joe’s and a native of the San Gabriel Valley  it was so fun to read about the founder of one of my favorite places. The organization was a bit scattered, but if you’re looking for an easy read about business & leadership this book is for you!