Cover Image: We Are What We Eat

We Are What We Eat

You can't go wrong with Alice Waters. Ever. Her words are quietly thought provoking without being too preachy or heavy handed. Waters continues to educate about the true cost of "cheap" food and celebrates the importance of our local farmers.
"We Are What We Eat" is a manifesto for locally grown, ethically sourced, homemade meals. It's an excellent examination of how fast food culture has ingrained itself in so many aspects of our society and changed the way we interact with food.

I wish the book did more to address the financial issues that prevent so many from eating this way. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to choose what they eat.
"When we homogenize society, we forget to treat people as individuals with different traits and needs." Alice Waters' life's work is elegantly offered in bountiful wisdom and portioned into chapters that are very much like the plates at Chez Panisse, Water's Berkley restaurant - Carefully constructed, portioned, and consciously sourced. Waters contemplates America's eating habits from ethical farming to fast food eating and her unwavering focus on sustainable food practices reinforces her legendary food philosophy. From building relationships with farmers to pointing out America's blind trust in advertising, We Are What We Eat is a necessary reminder that we all have within us the capacity to change. With interconnectedness at the forefront of Waters' argument for slow food, she gracefully offers ways to do better. To eat seasonally. To avoid excess. To consider the implications of your actions.

There is so much about food and the environment in this book, but at its core is an unwavering appreciation for the origins of food, the process of creation, and the joy of sharing. There is no better advice on how to live life right. As a culmination of her life's work, this is a reminder of how Alice Waters became a legend. It is her superhero origin story with a checklist to help others unleash their own superpowers.
A thought-provoking book from one of the most admired people in the restaurant and food world. Alice Waters, in simple layman's language, points out how the way we grow, distribute, cook and eat food is contributing to so many problems (climate change, for one example). She is so passionate about her subject, and so knowledgeable, that what could be dry and boring is, instead, fascinating. An insider's look that I'm sure many of our library readers will enjoy.