Cover Image: Book Club Kit: Mexican Gothic

Book Club Kit: Mexican Gothic

I had this book club kit on hand while I was rereading Mexican Gothic and I am happy I had it! I always love getting background information and questions to guide my reading because it makes the experience more immersive. I also appreciated the addition to a Spotify playlist--I have a weird obsession with collecting playlists that are made for books. I definitely recommend this if you are reading this for a book club or if you just want a more pleasurable experience while reading Mexican Gothic!
This is such a good resource to have before, during and after reading! I like that the author comes up with some thought provoking questions that has the reader further dissecting the story/text. This is a great resource for those participating in book clubs.
Mexican Gothic is listed as a retelling of a classic gothic suspense novel. I haven’t read any classic gothic suspense novels so cannot comment on the original story. I went into this book not knowing anything about it expect that everyone kept talking about it.

Mexican Gothic is a creepy book that had me hooked from the beginning. As soon as Noemi arrives at the house, there is suspense and horror. I do not read a lot of horror novels but definitely would categorize this book as a mystery/horror. I enjoyed it and it wasn’t too creepy for me.

Every day in the house there is something new and creepy that Noemi discovers. From weird dreams to weird interacts with the staff. This really kept me on the edge of my seat.

I recommend Mexican Gothic to fans of dark, creepy, suspenseful books.
I really wish I had this Book Club Kit for Mexican Gothic when I originally read it.  It was really interesting to read some of the discussion questions and brought up some different perspectives then my own.  I also loved the playlist - and the songs really summed up the vibe of this amazing book.  Will definitely use this for my re-read.
I inadvertently downloaded this since I thought it was the whole book and not the book club kit.  I wish the  whole book was in Read Now since I didn't check when it first came out.
This is a review for the Book Club Kit and not the actual book Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I received a copy of this BC Kit through NetGalley in exchange for my review.

I received a copy of the Book Club Kit: Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I was happy to preview this book club kit because this book Mexican Gothic is finally reaching the top of my Wednesday Night Book Club's read pile.

My favorite features of this Book Club Kit included the background and history of the indigenous people of Mexico City. I enjoyed the detailing of how Gothic Romances evolved into Domestic Noirs. The paper doll in the back with outfits that would be worn by the MC Noemi was such a fun nostalgic touch. And of course I'm always a sucker for a perfectly chosen Spotify Playlist to add icing to the hearty literary cake.

I would share this kit with my book club both before reading (as the book is being chosen for that month) and after reading. Its purpose can be used through the reading journey and I applaud that.

I read this on my Kindle and found there was a little bit of formatting that needed to be fixed starting around the introduction of the Spotify Play List.
This is a comprehensive book club kit. This will take the guess work out of discussion topics. I recommend this for your book club.
Good document for a book club kit, the guides as well as the background of the book is very interesting, and loved to read about why it was called the way it was called.
Unfortunatly I wasn't able to make my book club read this book, eventhough I was really interested in it. So I read this book on my own and still really enjoyed this book club kit. I loved all the extra information and the little activity with dressing up Noemi.
This book was really odd for me. The atmosphere was spot on and it was super spooky and ominous. I just wasn't a fan of the ending. It was a little too strange and a little too far fetched for my liking. Overall pretty good, just a bit too much
I love, love this novel. It's so sinisterly and weirdly wrought, steeped in creepy atmosphere and uncannily psychedelic imaginings and, yes, mushrooms.

4.0/5
I didn't realize this was a book club book and not the ACTUAL novel. I can't really review how helpful the guide is since I haven't read the book.
It was fun and engaging, the guides as well as the background of the book is very interesting. It helps me become more interested in reading the book itself
This bookclub kit contains entertaining and thought-provoking details pertaining the novel. The questions are engaging, and the Noemi Tabada paper doll and cut-out dresses are so cute! There are also bits of information that set a contextual basis for the readers. Would love to recommend this as soon as everyone in the bookclub is done reading Mexican Gothic.
I loved this book kit! I tho it was a book! Lol but it was useful, and helped a lot. Gave me some ideas for my BookClub
If you have never started a book club and needed guidance on what questions to ask or where to stir the topic, look no further.. This book club kit had great discussion questions, photos, and surprisingly enough-a Spotify playlist.
This is such a fun, engaging book club kit! I love reading interviews with authors, and hearing about what inspired them to write their novel. The included discussion questions are perfect for encouraging deeper exploration of the book's characters and themes, and I loved the inclusion of the novel's Spotify "soundtrack". Additionally, the paper doll was a whimsical touch!
This is an interesting book kit. It makes me excited to read the book! I can't wait to use this book kit to help me read this book
I love how so many things happened in the book. I could not keep myself from the book because it was so good
Gótico Mexicano, livro de Silvia Moreno-Garcia se trata de um horror gótico ambientado no interior do México de 1950, onde uma mulher precisa enfrentar estranhos acontecimentos para ajudar sua prima.

A historia começa depois que o pai de Noemí recebe uma carta estranha de sua sobrinha recém-casada, Catalina, e ela é enviada para o interior do México afim de averiguar as alegações da prima e convencer Virgil, o marido, a consultar um psiquiatra. Entretanto, quando Noemí chega em High Place, a casa da família, logo percebe que tem algo errado. A casa é decadente, tomada por fungos, com empregados estranhamente calados e muitas histórias de fantasmas sobre a família.

A par disso, Noemí desvenda do passado trágico da família de Virgil - britânicos que se instalaram no México no fim do século passado a fim de explorar uma mina de prata que, hoje, está alagada e fora de funcionamento. Só que, quanto mais Noemí investiga a família, se passado e as alegações da prima, mais confusa ela fica. Tentando fazer com que tudo siga um sentido lógico, ela acaba colocando a própria vida em risco.

Gótico Mexicano não foi o que eu estava esperando. Toda a premissa que gira em torno desse livro, principalmente a sinopse, prometem uma coisa que a historia não entregou. Não fez tanto sucesso depois de lançado no Br, o que se faz super compreensível.