Cover Image: You Had Me at Pet-Nat

You Had Me at Pet-Nat

This book is great book about self discovery. It reminds me of the Sweetbitter a bit. It has all those elements where you think your going to land up in one place and you land up in a completely different place and even though you stumble alone the way you learn life lessons and land up better than you ever imagined.
Rachel Signer can definitely write. I really thought her prose and the way she expresses herself was very beautiful and relatable. This book had a lot of going for it, which is very funny because I'm not even a wine drinker - but still I've been wanting to read more nonfiction lately. Since I'm in the minority - I think if was a lover of wine, I would've enjoyed this more. It was interesting learning about natural wine, and all the hard work that goes in to the field, but I kept getting sidetracked when Rachel started talking about her love life. This book seemed more about her issues with commitment than her experiences in winery. I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either. Very middle of the road for me. All the stars for that glorious cover though. Wow!
I hate to say this because I'm really interested in wine, but I'm finding this book to be a repetitive snooze, and I can't bring myself to finish. Maybe I'll try again some other time?
Reading You Had Me at Pet-Nat made me want to become an expert in natural wine. I now dream of owning a winery in France or Australia. I don't know anything about wine, so this felt educational to me. While not a huge wine connoisseur, I really enjoyed Signer's stories about her life experiences and travel tales. I liked the balance of factual information vs the details of the subculture surrounding natural wine.

Some parts felt slow, and I found myself doing more research to better understand natural wine and the wine-making process. This was a great memoir, but not one that left me with a long-lasting impression.
You Had Me at Pet-Nat by Rachel Singer is a gripping story of self discovery and adventure similar to Eat, Pray Love. The cover art is beautiful, and the memoir offers a wealth of information about the wine making industry.
I've read several wine related memoirs, but none like this. Modern and very well written. You felt like you were there with Rachel. Experiencing what she was and feeling what she was. For younger wine professionals or those thinking of breaking into the field I highly recommend this read. Sometimes you stumble upon things and you have no idea how greatly they will affect your life and change it, this book demonstrates how just one encounter, one decision can snowball and change everything.
I DNF this around 30%. I thought the plot was a good idea, however, the writing was just not for me.
Reading this made me want to learn about (and drink) natural wine. It gave me a case of wanderlust as well, and an urge to break from the 9-5 routine, as the author traveled country to country. It felt a bit long though, and perhaps a tad slow. And the romance - while interesting to see the complications of loving someone but being forced to change lifestyles to be with them - was a bit unsatisfying. Which is weird to say about a memoir. Also, the end was very sudden. But here I am googling the Lucy Margaux Farm and other wines mentioned, so something about this read did resonant with me. 3.5
This book didn't really catch me at all. It was interesting and I learned a lot, and I've worked at two wine bars so I was excited to read it. The book fell flat for me and took longer to get through than expected.
Itching to travel? You Had Me at Pet-Nat will at least temporarily fulfill your wanderlust while you're stuck at home. - although it will definitely leave you craving a glass of wine!
Overall, the book was enjoyable and funny but I just thought something was missing.  Some areas felt cut short while, other areas felt like they dragged on for too long.  Cheers though on publishing your first title!
The story follows a freelance journalist as she discovers the world of natural wine. As a wine lover myself, I really enjoyed learning more about natural wines and the industry. However the story took several sidetracks into her blossoming romantic relationship which took away from the story.
You Had Me at Pet-Nat is a fun memoir covering Rachel Signer's journey into the world of natural wine. Along the way, she meets new friends (and lovers), starts a magazine, and creates her own wine blend. Throughout the book, Signer travels all across the world and beautifully captures the feel of each place. Whether it's a small cafe in Paris or a sprawling hillside in Australia, you really feel like you are there with her. It was really fascinating reading about her experience actually pressing her own grapes; I'll have to give her wine a try!

There were a handful of times when the book felt a little dry (pardon the wine pun). In the third act, Signer skillfully writes passages about the history of wine making and different regions of the world, but it was so far removed from what was happening with her in that moment that it read as somewhat disjointed.

As other reviewers have pointed out, there is a lot of both personal and financial privilege on display in this book. If you approach it as a light beach read, for example, that may not bother you. If you start to think too much about the countless round trip flights to Australia, however...not sure.

Thank you to Netgalley and Hachette Books for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Didn't enjoy this book, it wasn't what I expected and I found it boring.I was truly hoping it would be more humorous too but it really lacked a lot
An uneven memoir about a woman who took a 180 turn toward natural
Winemaking. Those looking for a culinary memoir will be satisfied (but might prefer to skim her earliest chapters). But as a straightforward memoir, I found it lackluster.
I love a good memoir and coupling that with the story of a journalist turned winemaker, well I was sold! Rachel Singer’s memoir takes us from life as a journalist and wine seller to becoming a winemaker in Australia and weaves in a love story along the way.

I found the book to be charming and educational at the same time. There are sections which delve deeper into the winemaking process itself and can be a bit slow for readers not interested in learning the background/techniques behind, but these parts are easy to move through. One part I would say may be a bit challenging was the wine terminology and French words laced in the story without definition. I am fortunate to have a background in wine, so it was familiar to me, but others may not have an easy time with this. I could see how sections might get skimmed over or a reader  might become frustrated having to stop to look things up.

Overall, a very interesting and enjoyable read. 3.5 star, rounded to 4.

Thank you Net Galley and Hachette Books for an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely love this book it’s definitely going to be one of the books of the year.  The perfect readable memoir.  It had me in stitches.
Rachel Signer had always dreamed of a life in Paris - the cool Parisian ease of drinking a glass of good wine in a café and exploring a life that was so different from her lackluster cramped apartment in NYC. Then she had her first taste of natural wine. Now, the editor of a natural wine focused magazine and burgeoning indie wine maker, Signer takes us in the journey from her waitressing days to making her own wine on a farm in Australia her now-husband.

You Had Me at Pét-Nat follows Signer from the bustling streets of Brooklyn to the rolling hills of Adelaide and back again, as she follows her passion for natural wines and discovers herself along the way. A perfect read for any wine lover and naturist, this memoir will have looking for your next great glass of wine.

I really found myself on the fence with this book - I loved following Rachel’s trajectory from waitress to wine maker, but at some points it was hard to really understand her. The overload of info about wine making read more culinary than biographical and I struggled to connect with Rachel the person vs Rachel the professional wine reviewer. The ending was swift and really did a disservice to her and ‘Wildman’’s relationship - there was obviously some strong personal development that happened here that would have been interesting to work through with Signer after the lead in. Overall, a great book about wine, but I struggle to see it as a full fledged memoir.
With a wealth of insight into the world of natural winemaking, You had Me at Pet-Nat weaves in the author's love for natural wine, and love for a natural wine maker, into the same story. While it's hard to separate the two storylines, I found myself preferring the wine-love passages over the wine-boyfriend passages. Though there is a happy ending, I spent much of the book wanting to sit Rachel down over a bottle of wine and lay out her indecisiveness and at times, aggravating privilege, for her.

I loved, loved, loved, learning about natural wine, how it's made, the different vintners and distributors, about the harvesting process - all of the things to do with wine. The romance bits were a little less interesting for me, personally. 3.5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hachette Books for advance access to this title.
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a beautiful memoir!

It's very character-driven and is full of travel, love, and wine. Especially reading in quarantine it has sparked that wanderlust and is a cute and romantic read. Signer talks about wines and shares lots of information on classification and how wine is made. It's a surprisingly informative read! Signer also opens up about her relationships and her experiences learning about wine and her travels.

It's thoughtful, intriguing, and an interesting read!