Cover Image: The Cookie Bible

The Cookie Bible

THE COOKIE BIBLE: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This cookbook is rad. Some of the same tried and true recipes along with some that are new to me and culture specific. I can see this becoming a well worn copy on my cookbook shelf.

NOTE: I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks Netgalley!
Rose Levy Beranbaum has done it again with this cookie book. You know you will be getting recipes that have been perfected over years of use.

What I like especially is that she has added measurements both in volume (cups, teaspoons, and mL etc.) and in weight (in grams) so that you can use either method to measure your ingredients.

The color photos of each cookie are also beautiful, and they help you know if you have made them correctly!

She has also added tips (called “Baking Gems”) at the end of each recipe. This treasured advice will add to your overall baking knowledge.

There is even a cookie you can bake for your dog!!

Some of the cookies I am most excited about are:

Dream Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Ischler
Pepparkakors
Raspberry Linzer Hearts
Rose’s all time favorite – her Almond Crescents
Scottish Shortbread
Swiss Lebkuchen

She has cookies from many European countries, as well as some Asian and Middle Eastern inspired cookies.

Full 5 stars. I am a reviewer for NetGalley and I received a free ARC for this book.
As the title suggests, The Cookie Bible is the definitive manual for all things cookie related. It’s chock full of traditional plus newer-style recipes for cookies, bars, and candy. There are loads of tips and instructions to help even a novice baker become an expert in the kitchen. The pictures will induce drooling - Rose Levy Beranbaum is a treasure and this book is a winner!

Thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my review.
Loved it! Cookie Bible is aptly named and a wealth of information about making cookies! The cover was eye catching but the title cinched the interest.

What did I like? Gorgeous book! With some mouth watering pictures but the tips and tricks were what had me grabbing this up. I have a huge weakness for sugar cookies but I can never get them to taste like the ones from my childhood. If you feel the same about a particular cookie then you may be grabbing this book up too. It has a nice holiday cookie section as well. I like the tips on measuring flour, and the ingredient lists down to the gram. Seems like a sure fired way to make a good cookie. I bookmarked a few to try and make!

Would I recommend or buy? I would cherish a copy of this book! I’m a grandma so making cookies for the little ones sounds great! The cookies range from every day to high end cookies I’d never heard of. If your into baking or just beginning then this book looks like a cookie making winner! Four stars!

I received a complimentary copy to read and voluntarily left a review!
This is one of  the most beautiful cookbooks I have ever read. The pictures are glorious. I want to eat them all! The recipes are well written and use accessible ingredients, which is important to those of use who don't live in a large city. I can't wait to start baking.
A wonderful book full of delicious recipes that I can’t wait to try and devour.Will be adding this book full of great recipes to my collection,#netgalley#hmh
This is one of the best cookbooks I have ever read. I have been baking cookies for decades, and this is the best collection of recipes I have ever seen. The instructions and the photos are great. I intend to add this book to my cookbook collection as soon as I can. Anyone who bakes, at any skill level, will love this book!
Thank you to Netgalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for this ARC in exchange for my review.

The Cookie Bible makes me want to get into my kitchen right now and bake as many of these recipes as possible. This cookbook is divided into 8 distinct chapters and includes an incredible variety of cookie recipes. From household staples to holiday specialties to cookies from around the world, there is sure to be a handful of recipes in this book to suit most readers. The recipes are descriptive and easy to follow, and the attention to detail to give specific suggestions for many of the ingredients shows how much care is taken in the creation of each cookie recipe. While this may not be my everyday go-to kind of cookbook due to the complexity of many of the recipes, it will certainly have a place on my bookshelf.
This is definitely one to have for your kitchen collection. It certainly is a cookie bible with tons of delicious cookie recipes. The recipes are easy to follow, and we love all the photography.

The only issue for me was that many of the recipes aren’t a good fit for my family, because they take preplanning which adds a lot time to the finished product. With five kids we really like to have simpler recipes that aren’t so fancy. However, I won’t deny there’s something for everyone here!

4****
A very cool book with so many cookie recipes! I liked that each recipe had alternative that could be made!
Definitely a good book to own!

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me
Great book if you like cookies. I love brownies and I found some new brownie ideas, so in the kitchen with me :)
Thank you Netgalley for this book.
The Cookie Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum is a delicious book full of all kinds of cookie recipes. I found this cookbook a good one, covering all types of cookies and giving some good tips on how to alter the recipes or make it even better.  There are many details and lots of information here in this book, which makes it a good one. There are very good photos in this book as well, but those make you want to eat the cookies!
Where has this beautiful cookie book been?! EVERY single baker needs a copy of this book in their kitchen. The layout is practical, helpful and informative.  The pictures are beautiful, inspiring and enticing! I love how every recipe is broken down by various steps with both systems of measurements provided, baking gems and possible variations. Recipes are divided into sections: Rolled by hand, Dropped or Piped, Shaped by Hand, Rolled and Cut, Holiday Cookie Cutouts, Bar and Cake Cookies, Meringues and Candies and Extra Specials. Everything you want or need in a cookie book is all here, in one place. I will be returning to this cookie bible on a very regular basis! I received a complimentary copy from the author and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.
Unfortunately, this was a miss for me. I feel a Cookie Bible should include more mainstream recipes for those looking to get into baking more. Also, this book includes a shocking number of recipes with nuts in them! In this day and age, it would probably be beneficial to remember that a large portion of society now has nut allergies. Overall, a fine read and the pictures are beautiful. However, it was lacking for me. My thanks to the publisher for the advance reader in exchange for my honest review.
THE COOKIE BIBLE by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Nonfiction, cookbook
5*****
Thoughts: Wow. Just…yummy wow. This is definitely not a cookbook for anyone who wants to lose weight, but oh my, are the recipes ever delicious looking! I will definitely be digging deeper into some of these. The author lays out the golden rules of baking cookies and ingredients – as well as equipment needed and more.

There are chapters dedicated to cookies rolled out by hand, dropped or piped, shaped by hand, holiday cutouts, bar and cake cookies, meringues and candies, as well as a chapter on extras like making your own duche de Leche, candied peels, lemon curd, jam and more. Some of these things are gluten free, but most are not. And there are no substitutions for GF within the recipes. But still… yum.

Each recipe gives you the number of items it makes, the prep and baking times, ingredients by both volume and weight, tips (she calls them gems), variations, and storage. They are clear, concise, and easy to follow. And delicious!

Recommendation: I received this as an ebook but I will definitely be adding it to my “buy this” pile and getting copies for friends and family. It is definitely a keeper and a perfect addition to any cookbook collection.

Disclaimer: I received this from Netgalley in hopes of giving a review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by anyone.

Vicky 2/25/21
Delicious! Yum! This is a terrific Cookie Book. Now is the time for Comfort Food and I can’t think of anything more comforting then a warm homemade cookie. What I liked about this book over other cookie books is it had new and different recipes. I always like to try new things.

My favorites are Freedom Treasure Cookies (this is a basic dough recipe and then you add in all the extras you have like nuts, chocolate, coconut, dried fruits; an excellent idea), Cloud Nines, Caramel Surprise Snickerdoodles, Miss Swallow’s Perfect Lemon Cookies, and Pecan Tassies.

I already made the Scottish Shortbreads in a Tart Pan. They are very easy to make a came out tasting so good. 😊

Thank-You to the author’s brother for suggesting adding a recipe for Dogs. He is definitely right, I want to make these for my Jasper whose birthday is coming up. The little bones are so cute, too.

I really appreciate that Scale Measurements are offered. I have an inexpensive digital scale and it does make a difference when baking. I always use it when baking and suggest doing this.

The pictures are especially well done and are an added element to the book.

For now bake for yourself and family. If you keep using this Cookie Book, I think you will notice very shortly your friends and neighbors will be visiting more often.

Thank you NetGalley, Rose Levy Beranbaum, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for an ARC of this Book. I really appreciate it.
Love the recipes. Especially mrs. Swallows perfect lemon cookies. They were delicious. Don’t mind me, I’m a sucker for lemon flavored food. I’d recommend this cookie book!
This book was received as an ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was blown away seeing the many varieties of cookies in this book. All of them look absolutely delicious and super easy. I know this will be a hit with our community and it will definitely be an exciting future cooking demo topic. I also love how they put a small snippet called Baking Gems as their tips. It's like they are giving a gift to you with each recipe and you don't see many chefs do that in their cookbooks, they just call them tips.

We will consider adding this title to our TX Non-Fiction collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
I received this ARC on NetGalley for review, and my kids are so happy I did!! I love making cookies but I’ve been in a delicious rut of making the same chocolate chip cookies. As soon as my kids saw what I was looking at they were over my shoulder making comments on which cookie we should try first.

Mrs. Beranbaum makes each recipe so wonderfully easy to follow. She has each recipe written out so you can use different equipment (food processor/stand mixer/ by hand) as well as something she calls baking gems (tips about the recipe). Within the first section she blew my mind. She mentions preheating the oven for a certain amount of time. I had never even thought to do that. Generally the second my oven is to temp I am sliding my food in. Mrs. Beranbaum wants you to succeed and has made an entire book of delicious cookies. This may be the only cookie cookbook I ever buy! And I will definitely be purchasing this for my baking friends. (Such a great gift idea- sheet pan, cookie cutters, cute towel and this cookbook)
I love that this book offers so many tips for baking. I am a home baker/hobby cookie decorator and I love getting all the tips that sometimes take years to learn by mistake. Also... cookie recipes? Win/Win!