Cover Image: Lie Beside Me

Lie Beside Me

This is the third book in what has become one of my very favorite mystery series.  One of the things that makes this series standout so much for me is that each book has been different from the others.  This book almost felt like a domestic suspense from the way that it was written.  In it, one of the main characters Louise is writing to her husband and explaining certain things as one storyline.  Sorry to be vague here but I don't want to spoil anything because the setup is pretty brilliant.  In the other storyline, we see the events of Louise waking up next to a stranger and the subsequent investigation by Jonah Sheen's team.  The second thing that really stands out to me and that is present throughout each book in this series is the care that is taken with the characters and especially the victims.  The author always takes the time to allow the reader to really feel like they are getting to know these characters in a way that isn't always present in other mysteries or thrillers.  I loved how the author kept me guessing throughout this book.  I wasn't sure who to trust and/or who was to blame.  The only thing that I really knew is that Jonah and his team would figure it out in the end.

Overall, I found this book to be another strong addition to one of my favorite mystery series out there.  I NEED other readers to find and love this series as much as I do!  You don't necessarily have to read these books in order but I would recommend it if possible.  There are these small threads that play out from each book that you would miss out on otherwise.  I think that you should pick this book up if you enjoy domestic suspense but want something a bit different, if you enjoy police procedurals, or just want a truly page turning read.  I definitely couldn't turn the pages fast enough while reading this one!  Now begins the long wait for the next book in the series...I will be jumping on that one as soon as it gets released!  Highly recommended!

Bottom Line:  A suspenseful addition to a standout series!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley. I ended up reading a copy thanks to my local library.  Honest thoughts are my own.
Great book. Highly recommend and will most defiantly read more by this author and suggest to others!
Powerful- Revelations abound.  This is a very good series.
Many thanks to Random House publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I very much enjoyed the first two novels in the DCI Jonah Sheens series so I had high expectations for Lie Beside Me.. While the premise was intriguing - a woman wakes up with a dead stranger in her bed, unable to remember how he got there - and the murderer's identity a surprise, the novel was bogged down by extraneous subplots that had little payoff, or were simply dropped. Too many repetitive details slowed down the pacing as well, incl. Louise writing diary entries explaining the difference between 'Sober Louise' and 'Drunk Louise.'

While the third book was not for me, I plan to return to the series to give it another try.
I love the stories she makes. They’re always addicting and leave you wanting more books by her.

This one is NO EXCEPTION! Could you imagine waking up from a fun night out with a friend to find a dead man in your bed?!?! How do you not get invested in this story? Seriously it is a story that once you start you won’t be able to put down until the end. So addicting.
A woman awakens to discover that the man beside her is not only not her husband, but he’s dead. Though she doesn’t remember what happened, she can’t believe she killed this man. When the police arrive, they find the body in the front yard. The woman is clearly keeping secrets and is a prime suspect.

Lie Beside Me is told using alternating points of view – the suspect, Louise, and the detective, Jonah. Louise is insecure and struggling alcoholic. Jonah is trying to find a killer. The mystery is well paced and complex.

Lie Beside Me is the third book in the DCI Jonah Sheens series, but it can be read as a standalone. I’ve read the previous two books (She Lies in Wait and Watching from the Dark), and think this series is getting better as it goes.

Twisty and intriguing. Lie Beside Me is a straightforward police procedural. A great series for fans of British police procedurals.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Louise wakes with a headache that just won't quit. Her mouth is dry, tastes like dirty socks, and her memory is hazy.

She rolls over to face her husband, but it's not her husband who lays beside her. In fact, she's never seen this man before ... and he's dead.

Her first thought is to get the man out of her bed, out of the house before calling the police and her husband. If her husband finds out there was a man in their bed, the already teetering marriage will be over.

When DCI Sheens and his team show up to investigate, Louise , because of her absent memory, becomes the prime suspect. As it turns out, she's not the only one hiding something.

Well-written, the plot is complex and the story line filled with twists and turns. The characters are solidly drawn and I really like how their personal lives and the professional lives are blended to give them a certain amount of credibility. Although 3rd in the series, this is easily read as a stand alone, although I highly recommend starting with the first book. The backstories are well worth it.

Many thanks to the author / Random House Publishing Group / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
This police procedural was just ok for me. Louise, who is drunk a lot of the time, wakes up in her own bed next to a a murdered stranger. The rest of the book goes back and forth between the police investigation and Louise’s backstory. Her story is told awkwardly in the form of a letter to her husband Niall. Does he really need to be told how they met? Niall has his own secret issues with his ex-wife Dina. And then there is April, Louise’s best friend and enabler, a flamboyant American. We also meet the victim’s family and friends. There are way too many suspects and red herrings.  There are also too many cops with personal dramas of their own. I finished the book, but it wasn’t great.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
While I really enjoyed this book and it did keep me on the edge quite a bit, I also found it to be very unbelievable. I could not connect with any of the characters at all. That still did not make it a bad book though. I think what I really disliked about this one was the fact that the main character was a drunk who certainly never learned a thing from getting drunk. After blacking out repeatedly and almost getting killed or raped she just kept right on with the drinking. Drunk Louise... I despised her. She was in my opinion a phony. I did not like her. At least her best friend, April, was honest. To a point anyway.

This book is very well written and it definitely will keep you turning the pages. It's edge of your seat and makes you want to know why a man was murdered in a woman's bed. It  gives you lots of emotions and makes you feel as though you are there in so many scenes. It's overall a good book. Just not believable to me. I did not like anyone. Well I may have to take that back. There was one person. I liked the female detective and how she handled things. She had a story of her own going on through this book and it was great. I loved how she thought. How she got ahead of things and finally took care of herself. I liked her.

I very much disliked Niall. He was so hung up on his ex that he could not see what was going on in his marriage. Why marry one woman if you are so in love with another? Makes no sense to me. Maybe circumstances made things the way they were. I just didn't like him at all. Not even at the end. I just didn't. He was a bit of a self righteous punk. My opinion of him is very low.

This story is told in two ways. One being Louise dealing with her marriage via letters to her husband. The other the person actually telling this story. The author if you will. Louise's letter to her husband seems to be very heartfelt and honest. I believe she truly loves the jerk. I believe she will make him a good wife. If she will stop drinking. I like finding out some of April's background and knowing what made her the way she was. That was very interesting.

Overall I will say that this is a good story. Well written and keeps you on your toes. Though I found it very much in many places unbelievable it was what it was. The two Louise's are what made me doubt the story. She talked about sober Louise and drunk Louise a bit to much for me. But it was till worth reading and I will give it it's due.

Thank you #netgalley, #GythaLodge, #Randomhousepublishinggroup for this ARC. This is my own true feelings about this book.

4/5 stars and I do recommend you read it. You will like it I'm sure.
I think the book missed its mark with me.  I haven't read any of the previous books but it was easy to sort of follow along and pick up what was going on. It still was a good thiller!
A very twisty, perplexing case! I enjoyed the case and the return to the characters. This one was very twisty and kept me turning the pages. The first book in the series is still my favorite, but this installment was better than the second. I look forward to reading more in the series! My thanks to the publisher for the advance reader in exchange for my honest review.
This book was a constant page turner with many surprising twists and turns. Louise is an ordinary housewife who drinks a bit much at times to the point that a dead man winds up in her bed next to her one morning and it’s not her husband, Niall . This story has you guessing who the killer is . Louise and her husband have a rocky marriage which plays out in her letters to him . I was never bored reading this and always wanted to learn more . I highly recommend this as a page turner,  as the police dept delves deeper into Louise and Nialls marriage with many discoveries
My first book by this author - good story! Definitely keeps you guessing and the investigation team took kind of a back seat to the suspect and victim. I would recommend.

Thanks #NetGalley for the ARC!
I was intrigued by the summary of this book and was so excited to get to read it. I somehow didn't notice that it was the third book in a series and initially wondered why we were spending so much time with the investigative team but this ended up being exactly the kind of page-turning, twisty mystery I was looking for. There were a few weird sentences in there and I found a few of the characters to be a bit over the top, but they worked well in the environment they were in. I might just go back and read the first two Jonah Sheens mysteries to see what I've missed.
Lie Beside Me is the third book in the DCI Jonah Sheens police procedural series. You do not need to have read the others to enjoy this one.

At an acquaintance’s wedding five years earlier, Louise Reakes made three startling discoveries. One, she could make exciting new friends. Glamorous, irreverent April sat next to her during the ceremony and the two have been besties ever since. Two, she could find love. Louise met her future husband Niall at the reception and the they quickly become a couple. The third discovery was the most important, though. She couldn’t do any of that without a drink in her hand.

Now Louise thinks of herself as two unique people – fun, vivacious Drunk Louise, who’s always good for a laugh, and over whom she has no control, and Louise, the sober iteration of herself, who gets blamed and berated by Niall for everything Drunk Louise does. So, she isn’t exactly surprised when she wakes up in the wee hours of the morning next to a dead man who is most definitely not her husband. Louise just wishes she could remember what exactly Drunk Louise had done.

A bit later that morning, DCI Jonah Sheens and his team are called to the crime scene at Louise’s house where she tells them she was picking up the milk from her doorstep when she found a dead body in her front yard. Jonah’s constable, Juliette Hanson, sits with and soothes the seemingly shaken Louise while Jonah joins the forensic team and sends out Ben Lightmen and Domnall O’Malley to question the neighbors. Once forensics has finished up, Jonah heads in to talk to his witness. She, of course, heard nothing, saw nothing, knows nothing.

But it doesn’t take more than a few hours of digging into victim Alex Plaskitt’s life to realize Louise is lying, and Jonah and his team quickly move to take her into custody. But now that they know the who, the question plaguing Jonah is why?  Because nothing about what happened makes sense and he has only a few more hours to put together the case against Louise and discover the reason she murdered a man before he has to let her go.

The book is written from two differing perspectives. Jonah and his team are featured in the chapters written in third person omniscient which follows them as they do the grunt work necessary to solve the case.  The author fluctuates between giving us small details about their personal lives and taking us through the banality of what they do: paper/computer work, the endless questioning of witnesses, following up on each miniscule lead, and spending hours driving from one point to another.  We learn that Juliette is still being stalked by her abusive ex, something she has shared with no one but Ben. She and the gorgeous but enigmatic Ben had been good pals once but there has recently been a strain to their relationship, and Juliette can’t help but wonder if it has something to do with the new young man she’s been seeing.  Juliette thinks about asking Ben about it, but he’s a vault, and she knows she’s unlikely to get an honest, satisfactory answer out of him.  Jonah is having ex problems as well. He made the mistake of reconnecting with a woman from his past several months before, one he definitely wants to put behind him, but she’s suddenly calling him endlessly and he’s not quite sure how to handle it. Jonah is sure he doesn’t want his new to love to know that his ex is hovering.

Louise is having problems with the past, too. She hates that she ever let Drunk Louise into her life, and she hates even more that Drunk Louise steals her memories. Louise’s chapters are told in a first-person perspective, in the form of a long missive she is sending to her husband, whom she now believes to be a passive-aggressive jerk (he is). These sections deal with how her sober self is trying to piece together how she landed in a prison cell facing a murder charge and how to take back her memories from wherever Drunk Louise has hidden them. They also deal with how April, her primary drinking buddy, has a habit of disappearing just when either Louise, drunk or sober, needs her most.

The author does a fantastic job of handling innumerable characters and giving them all depth. Not only do we learn a lot about the members of Jonah’s team and what is happening in their lives, but we also get a clear picture of our victim, Alex, the people in his life and Louise, April and Niall. I’m always impressed with how Lodge takes a police procedural, which as its name implies is all about the process of solving a crime, and turns it into a deeply character driven narrative.  She brilliantly shows us how much personality affects both the execution and the resolution of a transgression.

The pacing here is closer to true life than that of most mysteries. We get a glimpse of how tedious a lot of police work is and how much you have to love figuring out the puzzle to be able to stick with it.  We don’t race from event to event but rather sit back and put pieces together to get the whole picture.

As always, once the last piece is slotted in, we discover a far different scene than what we expected. Lodge takes us on a compelling journey, a ride of revelations and analysis and showing how our image of an entire event can be changed by just one more piece of information. Everything is brought to a very satisfactory – and surprising – conclusion.

Lie Beside Me lacks the excitement and pizzazz of a lot of today’s thrillers but it is an extremely interesting, well-written, character-driven mystery that I would strongly recommend to fans of that genre. While you don’t need to start with the first book, She Lies in Wait, I would recommend doing so if you can. It’s a good story in its own right and one that does provide some additional – unnecessary but nice to have- background information about the investigative team.
Lie Beside Me by Gytha Lodge is the third book in the DCI Jonah Sheens series.  Louise wakes up one morning, and there is a dead body in bed next to her.  She doesn't know who he is and can't remember what happened the previous night.  Detective Jonah Sheens thinks Louise is the most likely killer, but he also realizes that someone could be framing her.  This story kept my interest, and there were lots of twists and turns.  I don't think it's necessary to read the previous books in the series.  Thanks to NetGalley for the free digital review copy.  All opinions are my own.
An interesting book with an interesting premise, but I just couldn't get into it for reasons I can't even fully explain. Just fell flat.
Having read the first 2 books in the series, I was excited for another installment of the DCI Sheens series. It did not disappoint. The points of view continued to build on the mystery and added twists and turns throughout. It is not necessary to read the novels in order so anyone could pick up this book and have it be enjoyable.
I didn’t know it at the time of reading and I just noticed that this book is part of a series - DCI Jonah Sheens #3. This is how a book series should be written because I wasn’t lost or wondering about a certain character nor I was confused with the story setting. When you read the synopsis you’ll feel the tense and have a general idea how this story is going to be. Believe it, its true!! The suspense and tense is kept till the end of this crime fiction. I honestly haven’t read a police procedural story this good in a while. The author deserves more recognition and this definitely is a series to watch out for!!

Thank you Random House via Netgalley for the arc.
So this one was just not for me.

There were so many characters to keep up with, and the investigators did not have distinct enough personalities to distinguish from one another. I might have felt differently if I'd read the first two books in the series.

I didn't care for Louise's "letters" to her husband, which switched to past perfect, just threw me off. They were melodramatic.

When the story finally began to ramp up so the reader can learn who the murderer is and why, it was just out of left field and totally random. And there were more lies and twists involving the MC's husband, the victim's partner, and the MC's best friend. And that's besides all the plot surrounding the investigators.

The bones of the premise? So much potential. Lie Beside Me was a lot.