Cover Image: Lie Beside Me

Lie Beside Me

I found the initial premise very intriguing, but I think it could have been presented in a more engaging way. There were so many characters introduced in the first few chapters that I found myself getting distracted and starting to skim. Ultimately, it just couldn't hold my attention, but I hope it's a better fit for other readers.
It’s become a somewhat common theme, woman wakes up in bed next to a dead man with no memory of how he came to be there. For Louise, it’s a shock not to see her husband, Niall, who’s recently become a real knob, beside her. He’s a mystery man who also happens to be dead. DI Jonah Sheens considers Louise a prime suspect in the murder, but she’s by far the only suspect. Lodge makes this old plotline fresh with quirky characters and a twist that will surprise readers
A truly gripping crime thriller which kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.
Gytha Lodge writes well, her characters and setting are spot on, and the plotting is good.
Great read!
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

I have loved the previous instalments in this series, but this one didn't really work for me. It started promisingly - Louise wakes up to find a dead stranger in bed with her. I also enjoyed the parts which described the police officers' personal issues and relationships.

Then there was the rest: alternating chapters in the second person (which always read as odd to me, and break down when the narrator recounts dialogue) in which Louise refers to herself in the third person as "Drunk Louise". The whole thing was very artificial and extremely boring; basically Louise recounts endless trips to clubs with her friend April where she gets so drunk that she blacks out. Her husband is upset about this and then she goes and does it again and again and again.

The ending was very drawn out as the team think they have got the answer and then have to reassess, and Louise thinks she remembers what happened while she blacked out, but then remembers another version. The actual perpetrator was some one I didn't really care about, so that was an anticlimax. The character whose comeuppance I was really looking forward to was allowed to escape and the plot fizzled out disappointingly.

I do think the recurring characters are excellent though - hopefully #4 will be a return to form.
I really wanted to like this one. The first few chapters drew me in when a body was found in a local drunk woman's yard.  However, from there, I found myself skimming a bit and skipped to the ending.
After a night of heavy drinking, Louise wakes up to find a man lying next to her in bed, very dead, and she has no idea who he is or how he got there. That premise propels Lie Beside Me, the third book in the DCI Sheens series, and it’s a winner. This book had me hooked right from the start, as the author wastes no time in getting the story rolling, and that pace continues throughout the book, with no-nonsense dialogue, an ever-evolving plot, and lots of red herrings. This is a great series, but each book is a stand-alone whodunnit. If you haven’t tried this author yet, dive in to this book, you won’t be disappointed. I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was a solid story with some good twists. The beginning sets it up for a great premise. I hadn't read any of the other DCI Sheens books (I didn't realize it was part of a series) but it didn't detract from the story, though I did have a hard time remembering who some of the characters were.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.