Cover Image: The Violent Season

The Violent Season

I absolutely can't wait to get this book into the hands of my young adult readers! They will love the unexpected twist as much as I did! This book is a quick read, mostly because you don't want to put it down, that does not disappoint! If you enjoy the edge of your seat thrillers or addictive storylines, this book needs to be at the top of your to-be-read stack!  I can not believe this is a debut novel! Sara Walters hits it out of the park in her first at-bat!!! Do yourself a favor and READ THIS BOOK!!!
Thank you NetGalley and Sara Walters for the opportunity to read the eARC of The Violent Season!

GRIPPING!  SHOCKING!  DISTURBING!  TWISTY!

I absolutely loved every word of this book!  I sat down to read a few chapters and didn't stop until the end, I couldn't!  The author did an amazing job blending atmosphere and character development into a twisty thrill ride you can't walk away from!  Read this right now!!  It will be a bestseller for sure!

I will post my review on Netgalley, Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Google play!
There were definitely some plot holes that made it easy to see this was a debut but it did a damn good job of keeping me hooked.

So fast paced, dark, gritty and unapologetic this book was pure candy for me.
The writing style was very nice.
Characters were flawed and patched but perfect.

Definitely on the look out for what the author does next!
Review of eBook

It’s an urban legend, the one that says that each November, a hunger takes over the young people of Wolf Ridge. But something is very wrong, for there are far too many deaths in this tiny Vermont town, far more than can be easily explained.

Seventeen-year-old Wyatt Green’s mother was one of the November victims, murdered in her own home. And Wyatt is determined to find the culprit, to prove the existence of the violence that overtakes folks every fall. But when her best friend, Cash, turns against her and a tragic accident almost claims the life of her friend Quinn, Wyatt panics. How can she prove the November sickness is real if no one believes her, if no one listens to her?

Could it be that there is no sickness, after all? And, if there is no sickness, what is the cause for all the deaths in Wolf Ridge?

Dark and claustrophobic, this unfolding narrative is unsettling and disturbing. It’s also compelling and unputdownable. Told from Wyatt’s viewpoint, the young adult story describes the confused and fearful teen searching for answers as she tries to understand her own feelings. Much of the telling of the tale is Wyatt’s introspective wondering, her desperate search for the November sickness that she is certain will explain everything.

Well-drawn characters and a strong sense of place anchor this haunting narrative; Wyatt, however, has a tendency to vacillate between clinging to her immaturity and behaving like an adult, a situation that tends to keep the reader a bit off-kilter. The plot takes a few surprising twists before offering up an unexpected jolt that changes many things, but readers will find this atmospheric tale remains with them long after they’ve turned the final page.

Recommended.

I received a free copy of this eBook from Soucebooks Fire and NetGalley
#TheViolentSeason #NetGalley
Holy smokes, I loved every page of this book. The writing was outstanding and I was truly blown away with the twists and turns. I’m recommending this book to everyone I know ASAP so we can process together. 🤯
I don’t feel I can give this a fair rating since I didn’t get too far into the book (around 45ish percent) before I started skimming it. This definitely was a “it’s not you it’s me” situation. I am not a big fan of reading teenage protagonists so with that in addition to the melodrama and predictable “twists” my interest and attention quickly waned.

The concept was so interesting: an entire town becoming extremely violent and murderous one month out of the year and then having to deal with the fallout once the violent haze evaporates; which then leads to questions of whether or not this violence is actually something that afflicts the people in the town or if the individuals are acting upon their own accord and using the urban legend as an excuse. Unfortunately this was not the experience I had while reading/skimming the book; instead I read a story about a teenager in a sort of love triangle, dealing with the death of her mother and the guilt that surrounds her about it, crushing on her best friend’s "nemesis", as well as the looming threat of the violent season, add in some (very predictable) twists and confessions. The tone was an issue for me, it was a bit too whiney teen for me, even though Wyatt had every reason to ruminate on her negative and emotional feelings but it just came across as annoying.

Overall, I think the concept was much more interesting than what was produced, but again I’m not sure if I wasn’t impressed because the writing style wasn’t the best or because it had elements that I personally didn’t like.

ARC given by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
3 & 1/2-4 Stars!!
The premise of this book was that the small Vermont town the main character (Wyatt) lived in had a sickness every November that made people do bad things (murder, suicide)  Most of the town believes it's just an urban legend, but not Wyatt, which is understandable because Wyatt is trying to make sense of her mother's senseless murder which happened less then a year ago.

The book starts good but about half way threw it kind of veers of course of the sickness/urban legend. Don't want to give away any spoilers but if you looking for a thriller/ murder mystery you will probably like this. It is well written and the characters are flawed but relatable.

Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher.
This was a great ya thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat till the last page I can’t wait to get a physical copy on October!
I have such mixed feelings about this book. Firstly, I do want to say the author has a gift with words. The way she describes things is so evocative and there's a lot of emotional punch in the writing. I would often stop and find myself re-reading a sentence here and there because of how haunting some of her descriptions were. Very well done.

However, there were two big issues for me in reading this book. One, it felt like the whole theme of the sickness/violent season was just totally abandoned about 2/3 of the way through the book. It was the very reason I was intrigued to pick up the story in the first place and it wasn't utilized in a satisfying way. There were so many loose threads that it made the ending feel hollow. Two, I spotted the "twist" a mile off and that's always disappointing.

This is more of a 3.25-3.5 read for me. Based on the first half of the book it would have been higher, but the ending was somehow both bleak and yet lackluster. I think the author has a real gift for words and I would read more by her in the future. But sadly, this story left me wanting.
I read this book in a day; I couldn't put it down. I was invested from the start in the characters and wanted to see what happened. You feel terrible for Wyatt losing her mother and wonder if there really is a sickness making people do bad things. The human insight in this book is incredible.
I'm not sure how to start reviewing this book. At first, Wyatt's need for Cash was a little cringey but throughout the book it begins to make more sense. Once again, I wish there was more to the ending. More of an explanation given for what happened to Wyatt's mother and what happened with Porter and Cash in the first place anyways. Enjoyable book but nothing too memorable. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review.
Content warnings for sexual assault, suicide, self harm, and a very toxic co-dependent relationship.
The Violent Season is about a town with a mysterious increase in violent incidents in Novembers and a teen girl trying to solve her mother's murder. It paints an enthralling toxic story that's hard to look away from. The first person narration makes you feel just as trapped and mentally unwell as Wyatt as she tries to make sense of her mother's death, her emotional abusive relationship with her boyfriend and the extreme violence happening in her town. A very atmospheric read that I would only recommend to those that feel comfortable reading a very dark book because it's trauma after trauma. It does leave some loose ends and questions I wish had been answered, but answers enough to have a satisfying ending.
Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for this thrilling arc!

The book is quick and fast-paced, with easy-to-read writing! I truly enjoyed this book, and I became more more interested in the story and the characters the further I got. I did notice some plot holes here and there, but Sara Walters made a really good job of keeping me hooked and excited for the story. Also, didn’t expect the plot twist at the end!

I enjoyed Wyatts’ perspective. However, I do think she fluctuates a little too much between an adult and an immature teenager for my liking. This is absolutely a solid debut, and I’m definitely gonna read another story from Sara Walters in the future.

Please be aware of the trigger warnings:  mental health, sexual assault, violence, grief and death
I finished the last 2/3 of this in one sitting, eager to find out What Happens Next. Not my usual genre, but the description sucked me in, and it's oh so perfect as the weather is finally turning colder. An impressive debut novel.
Rounded up from 3.5 stars.
Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for the ARC!
Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for this thrilling arc!

The Violent Season by Sara Walters is a quick read, fast-paced and has an absolutely shocking twist at the end! I enjoyed every second of this thrill ride even if I was constantly trying to connect the dots attempting to see the whole picture.

Wyatt is a 17 yo girl that really became more and more of a confusing Main Character to me.  She would have these very natural young adult moments and somehow it would turn around into her seeming completely strange, just unnatural. .  She spends most of her time with a boy named Cash and their relationship is confusing and just straight up unhealthy.   She finds herself involved with Porter, a popular boy that Cash hates, and this really elevates many problems.

The town itself is strange as well.  Wolf Ridge is small and secluded.  However,  there are many random unexplainable deaths in the month of November.   Wyatt refers to this as a sickness, somewhat personifies the town as a place that creates violence during this month.  Her mother was also murdered a year ago in November making Wyatt quite obsessive with her ideas.

There is so much I loved about this book! It kept me on my toes and I really could not ever figure out what was really going on.  It's a wild ride and I definitely recommend it.

A few trigger warnings for mental health, sexual assault,  violence and grief.
I need another book to lift me out of the pit The Violent Season pushed me into.Dark,depressing,sad.Unfortunately, I really disliked this book.Too much darkness,not near enough hope or joy to be found in these pages.The only semi likable character was Porter and I felt like we barely got to know him.Disappointed in the story and whenever I found myself feeling a semblance of joy in a moment in the book,it turned back to the dark side. I don't read books to feel depressed,I have the news for that.
I research, to the best of my ability, all new to me books to make sure they do not include any subjects that are upsetting or triggering for me so when I found this book, I did that research. After reading many reviews and the description I felt safe in requesting this book. It is advertised (and reviewed at the time of my request) as a thriller/horror that may contain supernatural elements. That is right up my ally. However, that is not the case, and this book is steeped in, the and the foundation of the story lies in an uncomfortable and triggering topic for me.

First, I must say this author has talent. The writing is emotional and atmospheric. She does a brilliant job of creating a story that engages the reader and slowly opens difficult and disturbing topics. The narrator is untrustworthy and that really helps build the tension and the difficult subject matter in a realistic way. The toxic relationships, the murders, the crimes, the gaslighting and the rest of the darkness is done is a very visceral way. I also enjoyed the way the story developed, the secrets, the characters and ultimately the way I the author deals with difficult topics and mental health. There are some issues I had as far as the “meat” of the story: the interesting hook for the November sickness is never fully addressed and almost completely forgotten about in the later parts of the story and this reads more like a teenage love triangle with abuse as the basis.

That said, I couldn’t get past the fact that this is not a thriller/horror story with supernatural elements. It is a story of the horrors of abuse, trauma, violence, and the dark and dangerous side of mental health not being addressed and taken care of. Now, that is not a bad thing AT ALL. It is just not what I choose to read, and I avoid it for very important and specific reasons, MY OWN mental health.

If these topics are ones that you can handle, then I highly recommend this story. As I have said the author has talent and this book is really well written. If you have triggers like I do, I suggest you skip this as it is a very toxic story. I don't seem to be the right audience for this story so I would recommend one read other reviews before making your decision.

Triggers: violence, abuse, gaslighting, rape, sexual assault, self-harm, suicide
On one hand, this story reeks of trauma, has quite a bit of redundancy, and exhibits a fair amount of fetishizing of abuse/violence. On the other hand, I almost want to applaud the author for being brave enough to paint a brutal if realistic portrayal of the darkest crevices of the teenage mind and -- should we act on some of our angsty-ist, angriest moments -- its consequences, both to others and to ourselves. Overall, though, the protag's lack of consequences for her actions, the sappy wish fulfillment of teenage hormones, and the constant repeat of the protag's vision of herself (which is not at all how she actually behaves) makes this book a tad too toxic. The hook of the story ultimately amounts to nothing more than internalized drama and manifestations of grief and trauma, and nothing at all about any November Sickness.
"The Violent Season" by Sara Walters is a horror novel about abuse, the kind of abuse that digs in to your heart, that makes you beholden and isolated to a single person. Wyatt Green is in limbo, blaming her cursed small town for an annual wave of murders, suicides and deaths that happen like clockwork every November. Last year, the violence claimed her mother. What horrors await her this November, her senior year of high school?

Upon completing this novel, I read the author's (Sara Walters) biography. She works with abuse survivors as an advocate, and truthfully, with the care and detail in "The Violent Season", I could tell she knows her stuff. One of the ways that "The Violent Season" differs from other books on abuse is that it deals with both sides of the abuse - the violence, emotional cruelty, and the threats, but also the good times. The kindness, the special inside jokes. The times that make you stay.

"The Violent Season" has horror-like elements, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as a horror. There are ghosts that creep about Wyatt's home. There's that dread that lingers through every page as you feel it build to something inevitable and frightening. But the actual on-screen violence is almost entirely relegated to Wyatt's failing relationship with her abuser, and while that is certainly *horrifying*, it is also the reality of so many women and men out there.

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't what I expected: I thought I'd get some supernatural horror and instead I received a thoughtful examination of the insidious ways that abuse diminishes you. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a darker (and smarter) than average YA. Mind your Trigger Warnings with this one.

Thank you so much to the publisher and to Netgalley for granting me an ARC!
This book starts off with a bam, right into the madness that is this town.  I loved the whole background and wondering if something weird is going on.  The buildup was very tense and I read most of the book in a day.  The main character isn't very likable and is very needy but it fits with the story.  It felt as though the ending reveal came quickly and it wasn't tied up very well.  It was very sudden and then life goes on, without repercussions (for some)  It was a dark book but I was expecting that. It had great lead up to the end but for me the ending fell a little flat.  All in all a fun read.